RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker Workshop > RPG Maker 3

Old 02-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.
Answers to basic RPGM3 questions. (Please read before asking a question.)

I've seen some questions asked here so many times I thought I'd put them in one place to give RPGM3 newbies and veterans alike a resource. Feel free to comment with any questions, observation of errors, or potential additions.

What do I need to make my game playable?
You need to go into story settings, and have at least one character in the party. You also need a starting location.

How come my character does nothing when I hit X, even though the character has an event code?

It's likely you forgot to copy the day code to night or vice versa. Go the the event code screen on the character, click on the night event code and click "copy day event." You may also need to "Copy day mode." If day has no programming but night does, do the reverse.

How do I make an character/boss battle happen?
For a boss, simply place in it a monster party and set up an event where you want the battle to take place. Then, use the code Control/Battle.
For a character battle, it's relatively the same, but instead of a monster party just make the character and use Control/Character Battle.

How do I upload other games/download my game?

You will need a Max Drive, Shark Port, or X Port. More info on that here.

How do variables work?
All variables start at zero, and can be assigned different values. These are used for many tasks, like making an event viewable only once using val-control branches. (see below) Note that a variable can simply state whether something is true or false with the values 0 and 1, and this is usually what they will be used for. Values higher then one are used usually to create non-linearity (for example, performing 4 tasks in any order.)
Check out Pagerron's variable tutorial for more informatioin.

UPDATED 6/3/07: For information on the difference between internal and shared variables, as well as coding for recording locations explored, click here.

How do I make an event only happen once?

You would use variables, in a val control branch like this. Allow V to be the variable you use for the branch and *event* to be the event that only happens once.

Val control branch (v)
if v = 0 then
*event*
v = 1
if v = 1 then
*if it's an invisable event, leave this blank. Otherwise, do whatever you want to happen if the code is re-triggered after the first event.*

You could also use modes. Simply change from mode one to mode two (or 3 to 4, or 7 to 8) after the event is done. It's simplier, but a changed mode leaves no record of the event happening in regards to other events (that is, it'll stop the sage from giving his advice twice, but it WILL NOT let you act on the sage advice in a different events code.

How do I use switches?

If you mean switches like in RPGM1, they are not used. Instead, you use variables, which, if only the values 0/1 are used, work exactly like switches. As for the dungeon switches/levers, you must put an invisible event in front of them.

What are modes?

Modes, like RPGM1's pages, are used for changing the event (although graphic is not alterable with NPC's, unless you are just making it disappear) You manually change the mode using an event. This can be on an earlier mode of the character or a different place entirely.

Can I move my NPC to a different place on the map?

No. You can re-create the character, place him on a different spot on the map, and have 1 disappear and the other appear. But they WON'T share event code and the action will drain 2 of your precious 100 characters.

How do I take the sword out of the Hero Stone, or the items off the table/pillar?
Simply use the Decorative Display Off command.

Is there a way around the 100 character limit?

In a sense. You can using the Multiple File Trick, but there is no way to simply by-pass it.

How do I change party members?
Using the layout function, go to the map where the character will join the party. Then, do event: character. Go to the characters event code, and along with the other events surronding the character joining, use "Control: Join Party", to have a character join, "Control: Leave Party" to have a character leave, and "Control: Modify Party" for a complete change.

When making a map. how do I tell where the unwalkable margin begins?

While making the map, go into V-mode and press square. Then return to G-mode, and you can tell where it ends.

How do I make my character become invisable/visable after a variable changes?

Use the "refresh display" command.

7/12/06- How many characters can you have in your party?

4. However, as characters keep their stats when switched out, good coding can let you have your choice of more then four characters. You can see a party member switiching code here.

7/12/06- How do you make random numbers with RPGM3?

RPGM3 itself has no random number generator. However, there is a way to make two "random" numbers, one from 1-10 and the other from 1-2. While it has limitations, it's the closest thing.
View it here.

9/12/06: Can I make a Custom Battle System with RPGM3?
No.

9/12/06: But I think the custom battle system will work if-
NO.

10/15/06: Why are switches so messed up in order of use?
Pagerron discoved that switches have an odd order of activation. He did not discover why. (I blame Sweden.)

12/2/06: Why are battles so unbalanced?
It's because your seemingly reasonable stats are actually unworkable. JPS Innovations has made some helpful insights regarding this.

12/17/06: How do you get multiple endings?
I've written a brief guide on how to have multiple endings.
It hurt my hands.

12/18/06: When I have an "invisible" event, theres a big blue block! What gives?
It's because you're in preview mode. You'll also see a question mark in playtest mode. It'll be gone in the real thing.

12/18/06: My character used to be able to walk up a steep slope, but now he can't! Why not?
In map preview and playtest modes, the character can "ninja run" up almost any slope and down almost any cliff. Play the real game to see if your "natural obstacle" really works. (Note that water is the only unwalkable terrian, lava poses no penatly in ANY mode!

12/18/06: So, big blue blocks and ninja walks. What else makes playtesting different from normal testing?
For starters, you can hold down R1 to pass the time, and hold down R2 along with triangle to run super-fast. You have a huge diagnostic menu available by hitting start, you can exit back to the editior, and you can force win (or lose) battles. Although there are other features, thats mainly what is different between the two.

12/18/06: Why is my character so slow?
While characters are by default slow, you can speed them up by holding down Triangle.

12/30/06: One of my characters looks different in battle and on the field! Is it a glitch or what?
When you choose the battle model of a class, a pop-up will say "Match character model to battle model?" (or something like that.) Make sure to say "yes" or your character will have two different looks. (note that sometimes an apperance change is sometimes a cool effect, in which case you would say "no".

4/15/07: ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Lemme guess. You were playing and you brought up the menu in an unwalkable area. Don't do that. EVER. It crashes the game.

6/17/07: I made a win lose branch but the character died after lose even though I didn't have a game end event. What gives?
You need to put a heal event in there. Otherwise, it will play the lose part of the branch just fine - but afterwards, you'll still be dead, and the game auto-ends if everyone is dead.

6/17/10: I set up an auto event to trigger on Morning, Noon, Evening, or Night. What in-game times do these represent?
Morning begins at 6:00
Noon begins at 11:00 - yes, you read that right.
Evening begins at 16:00
Night begins at 20:00
Thanks to Pagerron for this information!

6/17/10: I want to give the player five real-life minutes to accomplish something. How much in-game time does this represent?
An in-game hour passes in about 1 minute to 1 minute 15 seconds of real-life time. Therefore, if you want to give your player 5 real-life minutes to do something, you should give them about 4 hours 30 minutes of in-game time.

Note that time doesn't seem to move in a completely smooth manner--one in-game hour might take slightly shorter or longer than the next. If other events are running, it may cause a bit of lag in the speed at which in-game time passes. If a message is being displayed or the player is in battle, in-game time does not pass at all.
Thanks to Pagerron for this information!

6/17/10: OK, so I want to give the player five real-life minutes to accomplish something, and I know that represents about 4.5 in-game hours. How do I actually set up the timer?
You need an event that sets the in-game time to 1:30, and an auto event that activates at Morning (6:00) telling the player that they failed to accomplish the objective in time. If they do accomplish the objective in time, make sure to use Display Off on the auto event!

Click here for some mapmaking tips!
Click here to read some basic information regarding classes, monsters, and such.
Click here to learn how to let any class use any weapon permitted by gender!
Click here to see an table showing how much EXP it takes for each level!
Click here to see some basic information regarding classes and characters.
Click here to learn great tricks for spicing up your RPGM3 game!

Good luck on your game!

Last edited by Wavelength; 01-29-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Fixed Multiple File Trick link
hitogoroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.
Re: Answers to basic questions. (read before posting a question, it may be answered...)

Bumped with a new headline. Possible newb detterent? Is this the end of "WHERE ARE SWTICHES?1" topics?!
The drama continues...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
tjoris9
Raving Madman

tjoris9 cannot possibly fit inside that boxtjoris9 cannot possibly fit inside that boxtjoris9 cannot possibly fit inside that box
Re: Answers to basic questions. (read before posting a question, it may be answered...)

Quote:
Is there a way around the 100 character limit?
No.
http://www.pavilionboards.com/forum/...ple+file+trick

it's a link to the multiple file trick.
tjoris9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like

Quote:
How do I upload other games/download my game?

You will need a Max Drive. More info on that here
ot shark port. or x port.

Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

Thanks, I want this to be as helpful as possible as to hopefully avoid redundant topics. (Thats why I have the headline that I do...I know it's an eyesore, but failing sticky, it's the only way that works.)
Old 03-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Red Dragon
Left

Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoris9
http://www.pavilionboards.com/forum/...ple+file+trick

it's a link to the multiple file trick.
that's not really a way around the 100 char limit, It's making multiple games but having character transfer.

Quote:
When making a map. how do I tell where the unwalkable margin begins?

While making the map, go into V-mode and press square. Then return to G-mode, and you can tell where it ends.
Dont feel like double posting, only want to thank Hito for adding my little hint to the list.

Last edited by Red Dragon; 03-02-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

Hey, I'll add anything. It's my hope this can become a really comprehensive guide (may even repost the stuff I'm hyperlinking too). That way, whenever anyone has an RPGM3 question, they need only to look at this thread. Whenever there is a new question, I want to add it. The title should hopefully catch a newbies eye (yeah, it's huge, but really, it's the only way to make a newb read a non-sticky topic.)
Old 03-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
pause11

Question Re: Answers to basic questions. (read before posting a question, it may be answered...)

Hey, I am a bit of a noob... What do I need to do to make my game playable?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #9
Vonwert
Puzzle Maker

Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.

Um...just the simple task of clicking on start....
Vonwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:01 AM   #10
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!

Hello Pause11. Welcome to the Pavilion. You'll find lots of interesting ideas for your game on here.
Now, what exactly is the problem that your having making your game playable? Do you mean that you want to make your game enjoyable to play? Are you having problems actually getting your game to start after creating it? If you're a little more specific, we can help you out much better.
Pagerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Red Dragon
Left

Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon

Go into Story settings, make sure you have a character and set a place where your character should start. Then you should be able to play your game.
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

I made it the first entry on the list: did that answer your question?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #13
DarkwingChuck
Donkey Emperor

Location: Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
DarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small trees

This is a good idea and well done, Hito. If I think of anything to add I'll let ya know.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
pause11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagerron
Hello Pause11. Welcome to the Pavilion. You'll find lots of interesting ideas for your game on here.
Now, what exactly is the problem that your having making your game playable? Do you mean that you want to make your game enjoyable to play? Are you having problems actually getting your game to start after creating it? If you're a little more specific, we can help you out much better.
err.. ok, Listen I have a beta test thing going on to see if I had correctly put my game together. when i push either playtest or play, a message comes up telling me that I need to make it playble... what are the conditions to get it to go?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

Well, did you get the character in the party, a starting location, and the database saved?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
Echo Nomad
Pavilionite

Echo Nomad is on a distinguished road
Assigning meaning to Variables

-----

Last edited by Echo Nomad; 03-22-2006 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Answered own question
Echo Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Pitchfork

Using Modes instead of Variables

Helpful Tip: Modes can be used to make events happenonly once as well, without using variables and keeping track of them.

First, make your event, and make sure you put a second mode on the end of it. Make the second mode blank.

Next, when you make your event, use the "Modify Mode" event code to change the current event's mode to the blank one you made.

I use this method for "invisible models" mostly. It may not work with graphic models. If there's a problem, just "Refresh Display."
Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #18
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

Re: Using Modes instead of Variables

Yeah, Pitchfork, that works as well. However, internal variables are easy to track as well, and, uh...I don't like modes.
I'll probably put that in nontheless.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.

In my experience, when figuring out which areas are walkable, I've found that the red mask only shows up on ground that is below sea level. It will not show steep slopes or ground that is at sea level.
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."
Draygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #20
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

Oops. Well, I think I"ll keep it for now, better then nothing.