RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker Workshop > RPG Maker 3

Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!
You've heard about the limitations of RPG Maker 3. Well, here's your chance to post any workarounds and tricks you've used to "break" some of those limitations.

I suggest that you title your trick and then explain it using orange text. (That way we can easily differentiate between the tricks and the comments and/or questions) If you have any comments or questions, just mention the title of the previously stated trick.

WARPING "OUTSIDE" THE DUNGEON INTO BLACKNESS

Create a large square dungeon in the dungeon editor. Create a warp event to warp to that dungeon (warp near the outer wall). Go back to the dungeon editor, and reduce the size of the dungeon. Now test play. You will warp, but to the "outside" of the dungeon wall, where you can walk around the outer edges or even out into eternal void if you'd like. You can also place events and decorations out there if you'd like.

GETTING NPCs OFF THE GROUND

In the layout mode for some town, create a building using the Mansion 2 graphic. In the layout mode for the building, create a rooster NPC and move it as far back as possible on the ground floor, so its near the white posts on the back wall. Now go back to the town layout mode and change the Mansion 2 graphic to the Camping Tent graphic. (Don't delete the mansion 2 building. Select Edit and change the graphic.

Now go to the layout editor and choose that same building(whose graphic you just changed to the Camping Tent one). In layout mode, you will see your rooster way above the Camping tent graphic.

You cannot move to access the rooster, but if you press R1, it will automatically take you to that event. Then select "move". Very slowly and carefully move the Rooster on top of one of the boxes in the back of the Camping tent. Make sure in the event code for the rooster you set its movement to idle. (If you don't, it will walk off the box during game play.)

Now when you play the game, you can walk up to the rooster and interact with it while it sits on that box. This makes any animations you set much easier to see. It’s a matter of trial and error. Usually more error than anything, but who cares, it's fun.

TO INFINITY- modified from a post by Draygone

You can create a town with one of those add on areas for blimps. Then warp a player to that area. Then edit the town and remove the blimp area. Then when you warp there your player is walking around half above land, and half below land. Keep walking (or running) North and you will pass the edge of the grass, you will come to horizon, you will even be able to run through the horizon and beyond. Try it. (By the way, you can also edit the warp to have you go directly to that place beyond the horizon.)

EVENTS INSIDE EVENTS -submitted by KittyKicker (a.k.a. Digitalfox23)

Make a Invisible Model.
Then put a chicken in it.
Then change the Invisible Model,
to a bag.
Move the bag to cover the chicken
inside.
Now all you do is set up the bag to
open.
This can be done with any small item.
Or Chest.

THE FOGGY DUNGEON - submitted by Firsfron

Tired of having very few decorations in your dungeons? I wanted to add a tree to my dungeon, but I couldn't do it: it's an outside decoration only.

Create a new city. Build "walls" around it using eight or more copies of the Platform building. Place them so that the windows don't show. Set the town's time to night (so it will resemble a dungeon), set the weather to fog (so that the stars don't shine), and add your outside decorations. Set the music to the same music as in the rest of your dungeon. Then use invisible warp events so the characters can go in and out. If you use the "City in the sky" for a town, you can even have a lake in your dungeon.

DOWN WITH THE PEDESTALS - by Pagerron (modified at Hitogoroshi's suggestion-see posts below)

Are you fed up with having special items like the vials and teddy bear, etc displayed on a pedestal instead of directly on the ground? Well, here's an interesting workaround (please note that this only works in fields).

A-Create an event using the point (artifact) graphic [with your desired item on top]. Use the "move" command to move the pedestal underground, but leave the display item showing. (go to -1.25 height)

B-Create an invisible event set to "button" and place it directly behind the item you have showing now. In the event code
-sound effect or whatever message
-whatever you want to happen (receive treasure or item, etc.)
-display off - item graphic
-display off - invisible event

Of course, this does take up two events, so it needs to be used sparingly, but it can make for a nicer presentation.

CHANGING SEASONS OVER TIME - by JPS Innovations

want to change seasons over time so itll be more realistic?

(lets say I want the seasons to last 20 turns and i start my game in spring)

1.Create an invisible event at the entrance so everytime you enter a dungeon or a town or something youll activate the event and increase variable A +1

set a 4 option val-condition

if Variable A=20 set season to Summer
if Variable A=40 set season to Autumn
if Variable A=60 set season to Winter
if Variable A=80 set season to Spring: Set Variable A=0

the increments can be different depending on how often you visit the place, the event should be placed in a location visited often, this trick gives the game the effect of time passing, you can set your fields, towns, or whatever you want to the seasons

HOW MAKE AN UNDERWATER CAVE - by Libra in Red

Create a field that is at least 100+ units on the X-Axis. Decide where you want your dungeon to go, and create a solid field (like dirt or so, NOT water) and make the height approx. 45-60 units on the X-Axis, with enough of a slope to the rest of your field that you can have access to it. Set your field's water level to "Low."

Go to the layout option for your new field and place your dungeon(I used the deep cave, but I'm sure the ruins would work perfectly, or any other dungeon. I'd stear away from the fire or ice, unless you are using the ice in a snow field.) Anyways, lower or raise your dungeon until you are happy with the result.

Return to the feild option, and change the water level to average. On preview, you should be able to walk around the field except where you assigned the dungeon to go. If you did this right, you'll barely see the top of the dungeon above the water.

Now, depending on your story, to access the water, you'll have to create an event. I tired to do this on the field, but it wouldn't allow me to change it until I had a way to refresh the screen. I would do a story-teller or place the event in a town or dungeon.

In the event, make sure you have a property value event that changes the level of the water back to low. Once you do this, test it out in the playtest mode. You should be able to access the water-logged dungeon now.

to change the water level back, make another event, just make sure it's AFTER you leave the dungeon.

WALKING ON THE WATER'S EDGE - by JPS Innovations

In V-Mode with water level at "Normal"

Water Forms:Z-Axis 78
Unwalkable Shoreline:Z-Axis 80
Walkable Land: Z-Axis 82

#9b
MAKING A LARGE BEACH - by Wavelength

Using the Field Map editor, start by making a basic outline of the coastline using G-Mode. The area that is not water can be any terrain (because most of the area is going to be beach sand) but I recommend using grassland and rock since you can include patches of these terrains later to break up the monotony.

Now, assuming your Water Level is "Normal", we know that beach terrain forms at around 77-80 altitude, and that it's unwalkable until about 81. Even at 81-82, random parts will be unwalkable, so we want to shoot for an even altitude of about 84-86. I've found the easiest way to get a consistent altitude is to lower the terrain to slightly less than this level, then add some random mounds of land and use the stretch terrain feature.

First, go into V-Mode use the smooth terrain feature (using a big tool) judiciously. Aim to have your lowest points (besides right on the coastline) be at about 80 altitude. Bits of unevenness are perfectly fine. Next, add some mounds which bring small parts of the land to 95-110 altitude (use the gentlest "mound" tool available). Use a fairly big tool, but make sure to use a very light touch. Just tap your finger on the button for a tiny fraction of a second a couple times and then move your cursor and do the same thing elsewhere.

Next, use the stretching tool. Again, make it pretty big (maybe 10-15% of the map in each direction). Place the center of your tool near (but not directly at) the center of one of your mounds and stretch the terrain just a bit in any direction. Move back to where you started and stretch it in another direction. Don't hold it too long in any direction or you'll lose the mound entirely.

If you're doing it correctly, you will now have a wider area at a roughly intermediate height (probably 85-90). Keep doing this until you get a large portion of land at a height of 84-86. Then, place your cursor at the center of this area, and make sure it's a reasonable enough size that all the area inside of your tool is also at 84-86 height (if bits are slightly higher, that's fine. If bits are slightly lower, that's not okay.). Stretch it all the way to the end of the coast in one direction. Then do so in another direction, and another, and all of the land you stretch it out to is now beach area.

You now have a large beach area that you can use in your game! It looks a lot nicer than using desert terrain by the shore, and you can add a separate group of random monster encounters to this "beach terrain".

If you want to make it even more believable, use a very small smooth tool at the edge of the coast to allow the sand to smootly transition into the sea instead of having a sudden dropoff. Also, you can use the "mound" and "stretch" tools together to raise small areas of the beach back slightly above the beach level, allowing grass, rocks, or dirt to form and break up the monotony of the sand. (While using the stretch tool, make sure you don't start your tool over any water, or you could end up sinking large parts of your map!)

RENAME YOUR CHARACTER COPIES - thread by Hitogoroshi
(click on the link below)
HITOGOROSHI'S RE-NAMING TRICK

BURY A PERSON - thread by Vonwert
VONWERT'S HOW TO BURY A PERSON TRICK

Making Your Own Library : AKA Open and Closed book. - by Libra in Red

This is a trick to make a book open and close on a table.

You will need three events for this, we shall call them "ClosedBook" "OpenBook" and "CloseAll"

Place your "CloseAll" Somewhere off in a corner. I made it a plant, 'cause it looks cooler and doesn't waste a decorative display. In this event, I gave it 2 modes.

Mode 1 (AutoMode)- Turn Decorative Display Off : "OpenBook"
Modify Mode - "CloseAll" to Mode 2
Mode 2 (ButtonMode)- Display - Message "Hey, look, a plant(ectect)

Then we need to do some fancy footwork. Make "OpenBook" a invisable event, and "ClosedBook" the Desk 4 Graphic - Book 1 Closed. Position "ClosedBook" Where you want it and then place "OpenBook" DIRECTLY on it. I can't stress this enough. You are going to have to be precise- Use the X, Y, Z Coridinates in the upper right corner of the layout to get it close. Now, edit the "OpenBook" Event.

Change the "OpenBook" Event graphic to Desk 4 - Book 1 Open. Click over to the Modes and Make 2 Modes, both Button Activated. Then, make the mode lists for the following:

Mode 1 - Turn on Decorative Display - OpenBook
Turn off Decorative Display - ClosedBook
Modify Mode - OpenBook Mode 2

Mode 2 - Turn on Decorative Display - ClosedBook
Turn off Decorative Display - OpenBook
Modify Mode - OpenBook Mode 1

Test It... You should have a seemless opening and closing book.

NOTE - The graphics and desks can change for this...you just have to remember to use the same base and the same book type in order for it to look right. For example, you can use Book 2 or Desk 1 for BOTH of the events, but it will look odd if you choose Book 2 on Desk 1 for "OpenBook" and then Book1 on Desk4 for "ClosedBook".

Day Counter - by ChuckRich

Using 2 variables
VarA = variable that holds number of days
VarB = "flag" variable

Make an invisible auto event with two modes.

Mode 1
Condition:
Time = Specified Value - Morning
Value = Specified Value - VarB = 0

Event Code:
Increase VarA by 1
Increase VarB by 1
Add Mode

Mode 2
Condition:
Time != Specified Value - Morning

Event Code:
Decrease VarB by 1
Subtract Mode

This increments the variable whenever a new morning starts. I think it's best to have this event in every field and town. You don't have to worry about putting it into buildings and dungeons unless you think the player might be in there long enough to completely miss a morning.

How to Track Gold from Random Encounters - by Obright

1 - Select a variable to be your 'gold' variable.
2 - Select a battle PARTY that you've already made, and make a note of the amount of gold the party drops upon defeat.
3 - Make a treasure item (we'll call it the 'Red Coin Pouch' just for example).
4 - Set the enemy party in question to drop the red coin pouch ALWAYS.
5 - Create an invisible event that:

A) Requires the red coin pouch to activate, and set it to auto-run,
B) Increases the gold variable by the same amount that the party drops, and
C) Removes the red coin pouch treasure item.

6 - Place this invisible auto event in the area(s) where the enemy party is encountered.

DO NOT use any 'display OFF' codes! Once the treasure is removed, the event will 'reset' without triggering any loop traps.

Now...when you defeat the battle party, it will drop the red coin pouch. The auto event detects it, runs the scripts (including the variable increase), removes the coin pouch, and resets itself for the next encounter.

THE LONG WALK - by DarXtar

Have you ever wanted to have a seemingly bigger dungeon without actually having to create a duplicate dungeon with the same name?

Make a door at the end of a dungeon hallway and place an invisible
event in front of it that you click on and moves back to the beginning of the hallway but it seems like you've gone through the door. (Use a door opening sound effect before the movement command). This can be used to simulate a long dramatic hallway to the final boss. - Make sure, of course, to have a variable that tracks how many times this will happen or the player will never actually open the door.

HOW TO MAKE A CUT SCENE WITHOUT USING THE STORYTELLER - inspired by ChuckRich (also see the link to Rodak's thread in post #65)

-Create the NPC(s) you want to use in your cut scene.
-In the event code of the NPC(s), program what you want to happen (messages, movements, etc), starting with changing the PC to a chicken or a dog graphic.
-Place the NPC(s) where you want them (town, field, house, etc.)
-Create an auto event with an event transition that goes to the NPC event
-Warp your player with his/her back against the wall facing the area where the cut scene is to take place
(Make sure to turn the display of the auto event off in the event coding of the NPC or it will get stuck in a loop)

HOW TO MAKE A "Secret Door" - by Hikari no Kaze
(or How to put a Character inside
a(n) (uncrumbled crumbling) Wall)

Step I
Make a New Dungeon.

Step II
Place a Staircase at the end of a corridor and place a Crumbling Wall DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF IT (adjacent)!

Step III
Test it out! When you walk up to the wall, it (the game) asks if you want to go up/down the staircase. Say yes, and you will go to the other floor and will be inside the Crumbling Wall that you put directly in front of the other staircase! (You did put a Crumbling Wall directly in front of the other staircase, right?) Fun and useful to use in a confusing, maze-type dungeon. (I once used one too many of these and got lost in a dungeon of my own making...)

NOTE: If the player says no to the question about using the staircase, he/she will be able to break down the crumbling wall, but since when a new dungeon level is accessed, the crumbling walls on other floors reset, the "hidden doors" will still be hidden.

HOW TO MAKE NPCs RESPOND TO TREASURE REQUIREMENT - by Obright

This is a very simple trick, but I just ran across a need for it in Tree of Life, so I thought I'd post it here. While it's a simple thing to have an event give players a treasure AND switch an NPC's mode, this trick will help with treasures that are found via random enemy drops and/or regular treasure chests. Since you can't set having a treasure item as a requirement for an NPC, here's what you can do:

- Place an invisible event in the same area as your NPC.
- Set this event to 'auto', and set the requirement for its activation to be the treasure item.
- Add codes within it to switch the NPC's mode, and then turn its own display OFF.

ELEVATORS IN DUNGEONS by Ivan Rosenguard

First have a dungeon with at least two floors.
Then create two 2X2 square rooms in that floor directly above and below each other. These will be your "elevator".
Three: Create a door in between your elevator rooms and the "room" connected to it.
Create two events each the furthest back you can go with them in your elevator rooms on both floors and with two modes. Mode one will be touch activated, the other will be auto for both of them:
Event one--We'll call this one "Elevator 1f-2f" and the other "Elevator 2f-1f" Mode One(Touch):
[Q/A Branch]
(example message) "Take the lift up to the second floor?"
[Yes/Start]
[Play Sound FX] Stone Door 2 (wait)
[Play Sound FX] Colliding (No wait)
[Shake screen] 00.03 seconds.
[Fade out] Standard
[Play sound FX] Stone Door 1 (no wait)
[Modify Mode] Elevator 2f-1f (to mode 2)
[Warp] To 2f in the same dungeon in the second elevator room.
[Yes/End]
[No/Start]
[Event Ending]
[No/End]

Event One Mode 2 (Auto)
[Play Sound FX] Colliding (no wait)
[Shake screen] 00.03 seconds
[Play sound FX]Get Item
[Modify Mode] Elevator 1f-2f (mode 1)
[Event Ending]

For event 2f-1f, just repeat the process, replacing only the initial message with "Go down to first floor" or whatever and also making the destination the identical room on the first floor. Also make sure that the event always knows that it is to go back to mode 1 once you arrive at the destination (unless, of course you don't want the player to be able to go back down). If done right, it gives you a cool new way to travel from room to room in a dungeon other than just plain old stairs. Remember to playtest it first so you know it works right. If everything goes well, you should be able to enter the elevator room, touch the event, select "Yes" and the elevator will move up to take the character the second floor. It will then make the apropriate visual and audio effects and then go back to mode 1 where you can then touch that event and answer yes to go back down. I hope that explanation was coherent enough. I'm not good at explaining technical things...

ADDING TWO VARIABLES TOGETHER - by tjoris9

Here's my variable math trick from awhile back. It's a bit limited, because you need to be careful about the infinite loop safeguards (the 20th event transition triggers it), but can be expanded to allow larger numbers to be used.

Let's say you want to add Shared Variable 1 (S1) and Shared Variable 2 (S2) together.

Event 1 is coded like so:
Val-Conditional Branch 2 options
Branch 1: If S2 is >= 1
Add 1 to S1 (or subtract 1 from S1)
Subtract 1 from S2
Take over Event 2
End Branch 1
Branch 2: If S2 = 0
End Branch 2

Event 2 just has a take over event 1 code.

CHARACTER RECYCLING TRICK - by tjoris9

This is a trick to allow you to use characters in buildings multiple times:
Make a town made up of every type of building you are using in your game. Name it something generic, like "town". Populate each building with one of each type of character you intend to use in that particular building. Each building in real towns has an auto event which takes the character to the appropriate building in "town", as well as setting character names and modes, as well as the proper condition to enable an auto event in "town" to return the player to the proper location after exiting the building. Each character in the building will look the same as in other buildings where they are used, but they will each have their own name and event code to work with, as well as individualized animations.
You can also use this to mix things up a bit between building exteriors and interiors.

ITEM STORAGE TRICK - by tjoris9

First make a building in town called something like "storage house". make an auto event inside the house that replaces all but one party member with "storage characters", characters you do not intend to use for player characters or character battles, and will also set up an auto event in town to remove the storage characters and restore the character party.
Inside the house also put an event to change the active character, so they can all access storage individually.
The player then gives any unneeded equipment to the storage characters, who will still have the gear when the player returns.
With some modifications this can also be applied to use in dungeons.

HOW TO MAKE A BIG TOWN - by tjoris9

Make a town using the extra areas as open spaces. Place an invisible touch event at the mouth of each area that will ask the player if they want to go to another part of town. If the player says yes, they are taken to another town (Meant to be another part of the same town), if the player says no, a move command turns them around and places them so they can activate the event again without entering the space. In the new part, at the entrance put an event like the one in the first part of town, so the player can return.

UNDERWATER LEVEL - YES, YOU HEARD RIGHT! (click link below)
UNDERWATER LEVEL THREAD

KEEPING CHARACTERS INSIDE TOWN (WITHOUT AN EVENT) - by tjoris9

This trick is meant to prevent players from leaving a town without using events at the town gate. Simply set the town to prevent entry. The main gate will be closed, and the party will be unable to leave.

INPUTTING A PASSWORD TO TRIGGER EVENTS, BATTLES, ETC. - thread by Ceciroth
CECIROTH'S PASSWORD INPUT TRICK

MAKE NPCs RESPOND FROM ONLY ONE DIRECTION - thread by Rodak
RODAK's NPC RESPONSE CONTROL TRICK

LAUNCHPAD LOCKING AND UNLOCKING - by Libra In Red

Former ways to block your way when attempting to go on balloon rides can take up a lot of your decorative space, and if you like to have a lot of stuff on your screen (like me.) Then I found a way that uses only one event.

You will need created – 2 Towns. For example, we shall use my two towns, “Across and Christopher,” and my Senario “Too Young” to make it easy. You can use this in a variety of ways in your own games

Start out by open up your town and going to the fifth option page and make the fourth option “Open Space.”

Go to the layout editor and place an invisible event approximately at -30 on the Vertical Axis, and 60 on the horizontal access. (The best way to determine this is to create the event, then move it.)

Name the event “Too Young” create two modes (or more, depending on your game) and make the first mode activated by “Button.” This first mode will be the default, in which your character is too young to get on the balloon ride. I created this SPECIFIC event to where the one even changes it’s own mode, but you can trigger the mode change through a different event!

The first Mode’s Event Code should read something like this.
1 – Display - Dialouge – Balloon Clerk – “I’m sorry, but we cannot allow unaccompanied minors onto the balloons. Come back with your parents.”
3- Display – Turn Display Off – Too Young
2 – Property change – Modify Mode – “Too Young” – Mode 2

Leave the second mode’s trigger to Touch or Button, and leave the Event Code EMPTY.

Go back to your town Menu and choose Christopher. Go to the fifth page, and the open space we defined, change it to the Launchpad of your choice and place the destination as “Across” and the amount to whatever you wanna do.

Playtest. If you did this right, what will happen is that you will go up to the balloon clerk, and he will tell you “I’m sorry, but we cannot allow unaccompanied minors onto the balloons. Come back with your parents.” There will be a pause, and when you talk to him again, you should be able to get a ride. Use this neat trick to save some space, and you can even hide more events in this single event!

CHOOSING A GENDER, CLASS and NAME - by Doj
Having the player be able to choose their class and name!

1.First, make a group of islands, depending on how many classes they are able to choose. Let's say we have a "being", someone that is neither male or female, right? Like the mythical beast. Then make a character named 'man' and 'woman'.
2.Make a statue, called a 'gender statue'.
3.Don't make it a decoration, or it won't work. Okay, now make the event activation a 'button'.
4. Now make the event code look something like this:

1: Decision branch:sentence asking if the player would like to be a man or woman.
2: (Option 1/Start.): Man
3:Join Party:Man
4:Leave party:being
5:Movement:Next strip of island
6:Modify Active members:man
7:Modify Modes: Man

Then, for woman do the exact same thing except instead of man, it's woman!

Then on the next strip, make an item representing the class, like for warrior, the sword in the stone. The event make the activation a 'button', then make two modes, one for the man and one for the woman. First mode make something like this:

1:QA Branch:Asking the question for the class
2:Yes/Start
3:Join Party:Warrior
4:Leave party:Man
5:Modify Active Members:Warrior
6:Modify mode:Leaving statue(Get to this later)
7:Movement:Exit Piece of island
8:No/Start: Movement: Next piece of island where next class is.

Now for the woman, just turn the man pieces into woman pieces.

Now the last class on the island (I'm skipping the rest of the classes cause you get the drift, right? RIGHT!?)

Now the last class is different, because if the player say 'no', instead of transporting them to the exit, transport them to the first class island!!

Now the exit statue, the last part (whew, FINALLY!)

Now for the modes, let's say you had five classes to choose from, and two genders for each class, that would be ten, right? So make ten modes, follow this example:

QA Branch: Asking if they want to leave
1:Yes/Start
2:Enter character name: Warrior
3:Warp: Wherever you want them to start out
No/Start:
Join party:being
Leave party: warrior
modify active members:being

Now just do that for all the other modes! Hopefully you guys will find this useful!! Bye!!

#29b
CHOOSING A GENDER, CLASS and NAME - (an alternate option by Specter)

I'm going to use just the four base classes Warrior, Cleric, Mage, Thief,
so make those four classes with those generic names and do the same in the People Editor.

Make an invisable event with 2 modes called Guild.
Set mode 1 to button.

1: Message Display: "Welcome to the Adventurers Guild (yada yada yada)"
2: Decision Branch: (Put whatever Joining/Leaving message here)
3: Option 1/Start: Join
4: Desicion Branch: Gender
5: Option 1/Start: Male
6: Decision Branch: Class
7: Option 1/Start: Warrior
8: Join Party: Warrior
9: Enter Character Name: Warrior
10: Option 1/End
11: Option 2/Start: Cleric
12: Join Party: Cleric
13: Enter Character Name: Cleric
14: Option 2/End
15: Option 3/Start: Mage
16: Join Party: Mage
17: Enter Character Name: Mage
18: Option 3/End
19: Option 4/Start: Thief
20: Join Party: Thief
21: Enter Chracter Name: Thief
22: Option 4/End
23: End Branch
24: Option 1/End
25: Option 2/Start: Female
26: Decision Branch: Class
27: Option 1/Start: Warrior
28: Join Party: Warrior
29: Enter Character Name: Warrior
30: Option 1/End
31: Option 2/Start: Cleric
32: Join Party: Cleric
33: Enter Character Name: Cleric
34: Option 2/End
35: Option 3/Start: Mage
36: Join Party: Mage
37: Enter Character Name: Mage
38: Option 3/End
39: Option 4/Start: Thief
40: Join Party: Thief
41: Enter Character Name: Thief
42: Option 4/end
43: End Branch
46: Option 1/End
47: Option 2/Start: Leave
48: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 2
49: Option 2/End
50: End Branch

Mode 2 Set to Auto

1: Decision Branch: Gender
2: Option 1/Start: Male
3: Decision Branch: Class
4: Option 1/Start: Warrior
5: Leave Party: Warrior
6: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
7: Option 1/End
8: Option 2/Start: Cleric
9: Leave Party: Cleric
10: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
11: Option 2/End
12: Option 3/Start: Mage
13: Leave Party: Mage
14: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
15: Option 3/End
16: Option 4/Start: Thief
17: Leave Party: Thief
18: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
19: Option 4/End
20: End Branch
21: Option 1/End
22: Option 2/Start: Female
23: Decision Branch: Class
24: Option 1/Start: Warrior
25: Leave Party: Warrior
26: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
27: Option 1/End
28: Option 2/Start: Cleric
29: Leave Party: Cleric
30: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
31: Option 2/End
32: Option 3/Start: Mage
33: Leave Party: Mage
34: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
35: Option 3/End
36: Option 4/Start: Thief
37: Leave Party: Thief
38: Modify Mode: Guild - Mode 1
39: Option 4/End
40: End branch
41: Option 2/End
42: End Branch

This is a basic skeleton that you can expand on, but for starters just type it in as is and check it out. You can place the event behind a counter hooked to a character.

THE UNDERGROUND PIT (an underground area in a field!) - Pagerron

In the field editor, go to V-Mode
Choose a spherical landform (with the square selection) - default setting
Zoom the map to the closest possible
Reduce the size of your selection to the smallest possible choice
Lower the land in that selection area to a height of 100
Raise the land all around to 150

Get your field to look like this

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXX0000XXXXX
XXXX0000XXXXX
XXXX0000XXXXX
XXXX0000XXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

The 0s represent the lowered land at 100 height (4X4 square)
The Xs represent the height of 150

Select C-Mode and color in the area with the "Stone" color.

Save and Exit

Go to layout mode
Create a new decorative object at the center of the lowered land
Choose "Building/Rainbow"
Choose "White Tower"
Place the tower in the center of the lowered land
Lower the "White Tower" graphic to -5.00

Test out the area. You are underground, with the bottom of the white tower directly overhead. When you warp there in game, you actually appear to be falling down several floors until the camera reaches your location at the bottom of the "pit"

By first placing events in the lowered area and then making them display as invisible events, you can then move the tower graphic into position and make the displays visible again. This will allow you to have multiple "outdoor" events available underground.

Enjoy!

This can also be done with varying degrees of success with other town graphics, but using the White Tower gives a really cool falling down multiple stories effect.

A BRIDGE IN A FIELD - Pagerron

Using the "square selection" and the "spherical landform" in the field editor, create a landscape with these heights

X=84
O=78

XXXXOXXXX
XXXXOXXXX
XXXXOXXXX
XXXXOXXXX
XXXXOXXXX

Make sure that the field's elevation is set to "Average"

In the layout editor for that field, create a decorative event using the "lumber" graphic and place it from one side of the river to the other.
Then lower the "lumber" to -60.

Then copy the decorative "lumber" and without moving it, press the L1 button three times, rotating it. You may have to make a little adjustment
to get it to look just right, but it looks like a bridge, with two raised wooden walls on the side and a wooden walkway in between.

Then create two invisible events set to touch (which fit nicely between the two raised bridge sides) - one on each side of the bridge to warp back and forth easily.

DIRECTIONAL FIX - by Lausen

I have a small trick that might help people. I thought about it when playing other peoples games. It seemed sometimes I would walk into an event in the wrong directiong then intended or would be looking the wrong way. Well I have a easy way of fixing the problem. Pretty basic actually.

Say you have an invisable event and when you walk into it you want to be sure the player is facing an NPC. When the event triggers have the first thing that happens an add mode to whatever event this is. Then after have it be a movment command that places the character right where you want them. It should look like this.

01 Add Mode-> Event x
02 Movement-> Wherever

That's all for the first part. Now in the second mode be sure to put it as auto. Then you can have any coding you want, but be sure to display off or use variables so it doesn't loop.

Well just something easy that might help someone who gets a bit annoyed with that like me.

Level Cap- by Nerd god
NERD GOD's LEVEL CAP TRICK

Dungeon Recycling- by Nerd god
NERD GOD's DUNGEON RECYCLING TRICK

Town Recycling- by Nerd god
NERD GOD's TOWN RECYCLING TRICK

Item Storage - by Hikari no Kazi

1. Create three characters whose only purpose is storage (they could also be real people, just explain it or rename them before and after the storage happens).

2. Create an area that can only be exited by an event (like an enclosed floor of a dungeon called "Storage Room" or something).

3. Set up a script that warps you to the storage area when you talk to someone (or whatever. It really doesn't matter.).

4. In this script, switch out the three non-main members of the party with the "Storage" people.

5. Then, the Main Character can switch items with the "Storage" People.

6. In the storage room, place a character (or whatever) that will return you to the first area, as well as restore your lost party members.

7. Customize as your game requires.

Cursed Items (much like in D&D) - by Wilholm

Have a treasure chest with the promised weapon your character will covet. Then simply have the event code remove the item from their inventory, replace it with a treasure item of the same name, and have every field and town with an auto event that poisons (or other status effect) your character if that treasure item is present.

Cleric - by Wilholm

Have a building: normal house: sanctuary or other shop and make an NPC your shopkeeper, have a simple Q/A branch asking if you wish to remove any curses. Now simply tell the character the price to "remove treasure item from party" based on a condition activated by that very "cursed" item. Now they have to pay ((I.E. remove money from party)) and all's better.

Trap door - by Wilholm

The floor plate graphic is fun for this, you can have a storyteller or event where you're talking to a king.. or a bad guy... or whatever...

When your characters make them mad, they activate the trap door (and you simply do an effect that blacks out the screen, play sound effect of your choice and then warp the party to the nastiest area of a dungeon of your choice. Waiting in the dungeon is an auto one-time only event that plays a sound effect for the door above... and laughter is fun for this one too... and you can even have a little storyteller or talky scene to express your party's disdain with having fallen into the obvious trap... looks good in the game and it can add surprise elements right in the middle of standing before a king or villain.

How to Stack Characters -by Obright

While it's fairly easy to stack events by making them invisible and then changing their model to something else, how do you do it with characters? I had had some luck with it just by putzing around with the NPC models, but it was exceedingly tenuous and frustrating. Here is an easy, sure-fire method for doing it. (You would do this when you want an NPC to change to a different one in-game, similar to events.)

- Place all of the characters that you want to stack on any interior map.
- Change the building model in the town layout editor to one with built-in objects like beds, tables, or chairs (the tables and chairs in the 'mansion 1' model work well for this).
- Move one of the characters so that they are as close as possible to a built-in element.
- Switch the building model back to the original one, and move that character just slightly in the direction that the built-in element was in on the previous interior map. The intent is to actually place that character right on top of said element when you switch the building model again.
- Place another character as close as you possibly can to the first character, being careful not to also place that second one on top of anything.
- Now, switch the building model back to the one with the built-in elements. The first character should now be raised slightly, perched on the edge of a table or chair.
- Gently move the first character toward the second one, which you placed very close to it earlier.
- BAM. The first character falls right onto the same space as the second one.
- SAVE
- Repeat this process for as many NPC's as you want (up to 10)!

* When you move this mass of stacked NPC's to wherever you want them, move one a tiny bit, then switch to another one, etc. DON'T MOVE THEM TOO FAR AWAY FROM THE REST, or else you'll have to start over on that character!

* Once they're stacked, you can place them within any building model

Stacking Multiple Treasure Items - by Seraph

First, you need to create 12 treasure items. First one is "Blue Gem", which you will have your monster party drop. The other 11 will be named "BG 00/10 through BG 10/10"

"BG 00/10" needs to be in your possession when you start.
(BG = Blue Gem)

Then:

(Obrights gold tracking trick)

EVENT 1 (BG Tracker), MODE 1
Invisible
Auto
With Treasures ----- (Blue Gem)

CODE:
Increase Shared Variable ----- (Shared Variable 01 + 1)
Obtain Treasures ----- (Blue Gem 01/10)
Lose Treasures ----- (Blue Gem 00/00)
Lose Treasures ----- (Blue Gem)

MODE 2
Auto
Value = Specified Value ----- Shared Variable 01 = 11
With Treasure ----- (Blue Gem)

CODE:
Lose Treasures ----- (Blue Gem)
(This stops you from aquiring a Blue gem in your inventory when you aquire "BG 10/10")

Then:

EVENT 2 (BG Counter), MODE 1 (this event "stacks" the gems in your inventory, and must be on the same map as the first event)
Invisible
Auto
Value = Specified Value ----- Shared Variable 01 = 2
With treasuer ----- (BG 01/10)

CODE:
Obtain Treasure ----- (BG 02/10)
Lose treasures ----- (BG 01/10)
Add Mode ----- (BG Counter)

MODE 2
Auto
Value = Specified Value ----- Shared Variable 01 = 3
With Treasure ----- (BG 02/10)

CODE:
Obtain Treasures ----- (BG 03/10)
Lose treasures ----- (BG 01/10)
Lose Treasures ----- (BG 02/10)
Add Mode ------- (BG Counter)

and so on...... I have 9 modes for 10/10 Blue Gems.

in the ninth mode, you need to place:

Increase Shared Variable ----- Variable 01 + 1
Add Mode ----- (BG Tracker)
Modify Mode ----- (BG Counter/mode 1)

at the end of the code.

this will remove the treasure item "Blue Gem" from showing up in your inventory after you accumulate 10/10 Blue gems, and resets everything for when you use those 10 gems and are reduced back to 00/10 Blue gems. (you would need a third event anywhere else that is either touch or button activated which reduces Shared Variable 01 back to 0, and removes Treasure "BG 10/10" and adds Treasure "BG 00/10" and modifies mode BG Tracker back to mode 1, when you offer them for upgrade. This will enable the cycle to repeat itself.)

Vertical Movement Trick-Pagerron
(Click on link below)
VERTICAL MOVEMENT TRICK

Creating A Reputation System - GoalieGuy6

In RPGM3,it is possible to create a reputational system, where you can have NPCs treat your character differently, depending on their reputation. For example, you can have events where if you are kind to a person, your reputation increases, and people treat you better, but if you are mean to a person, your reputation drops, and people treat you worse. This is often cool because the player doesn’t know that how they treat people is affecting the way people treat them. I am going to explain the basic process of creating your own reputational system below.

First of all, you should have a variable, either an internal variable from the player, or a shared variable, that you have reserved for your character’s reputation. I would suggest setting it to start at 50, so you can use 50 as a neutral, and change it during the game depending on the character’s actions.

Next, you have to create events that modify the reputation variable. For example, you could have an event where a man has lost his map. When the player talks to him, you could create a multiple choice question. The player could choose
option A: “I’ll find your map for you!”, option B: “I would help you find your map, but I don’t have time.”, or option C: “That’s not my problem!”

You could then have each option modify the reputation variable accordingly. For option a, you could increase the reputation by 3, since the player was nice to the man. For option b, you could increase the reputation by 1, since the player was kind of nice the man. For option c, you could lower the reputation variable by 2 or 3, since the player was rude to the man.

Next, you would create an NPC that talks to you differently based on what your reputation is. To do this, you would place a value conditional branch in the event code. You would set it to use the reputation variable, then adjust the values to compare accordingly. For example, if the player’s reputation was below 35, NPCs wouldn’t want to talk to the character much, and would generally ask the character to leave them alone. If the reputation was above 35, but below 50, you could have some NPCs still talk to the character, but others would still generally not want them around. If the reputation was above 65, then NPCs would be really nice to your character, and possibly even give them gifts. Lastly, if the reputation was above 50, but below 65, then NPCs would generally be nice to your character, and maybe some would ask for help every once in a while.

You can mess around with the system all you want, and you
could probably make it a lot more complex, so... have fun!

Okay, now you add a trick.

Last edited by Pagerron; 06-07-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: updated info
Pagerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Re: Glitch Stravaganza

Cyan isnt visible on the Blue Emerald skin.

Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!
Re: Extravaganza of Glitches (RPG maker 3)

Thanks Valkysas. I've changed it.

Last edited by Pagerron; 07-28-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Re: Glitches we can use to our advantage RPG Maker 3

Added #4 "Events Inside Events" (submitted by KittyKicker)
Old 07-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Commander Obi-Wan
Jedi Master

Commander Obi-Wan is special!

Looks nice. Keep it up. (My favorite so far is the chicken one)
Old 07-29-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Firsfron
Pavilionite

Firsfron is on a distinguished road

These are cool, Pagerron.

OK, this one isn't so much a glitch as it is a "cheat"...

Tired of having very few decorations in your dungeons? I wanted to add a tree to my dungeon, but I couldn't do it: it's an outside decoration only.

Create a new city. Build "walls" around it using eight or more copies of the Platform building. Place them so that the windows don't show. Set the town's time to night (so it will resemble a dungeon), set the weather to fog (so that the stars don't shine), and add your outside decorations. Set the music to the same music as in the rest of your dungeon. Then use invisible warp events so the characters can go in and out. If you use the "City in the sky" for a town, you can even have a lake in your dungeon.
Firsfron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Commander Obi-Wan
Jedi Master

That's not much of a dungeon because it's not scary. More like a graveyard. And there is no random battleing because it's a town.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
DYRE
Victoly!

DYRE has a brilliant futureDYRE has a brilliant future

RPGM dungeons are seldom scary. Maybe in 1 and 2, but not 3. And I think he's just talking about a single corridor.
DYRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Commander Obi-Wan
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYRE
RPGM dungeons are seldom scary. Maybe in 1 and 2, but not 3. And I think he's just talking about a single corridor.
Meh.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Re: Stretching the limits of RPG Maker 3 (using glitches and tricks to our advantage)

Added #6
Old 08-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Vonwert
Puzzle Maker

Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.
Re: RPG Maker 3 - Tricks To Spice up your game

Man oh man, these are very cool! You guys are great

I am planning on using these in my game
Vonwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:48 AM   #12
Perversion
Girl Licker

Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like

These are very cool. You are a master of twisting the system for your own uses...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.

For #6, why couldn't it just be an invisable event set to "check" in front of it?
hitogoroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Yeah, sure, Hito, you could program whatever you'd like in the event code of the invisible event.

My intention was that when you walk up to let's say a vial of liquid, you hear a sound effect, the vial disappears, and then you have "Vial of Bile" in your inventory or whatever.

The actual graphic of the vial cannot act as a real event because since the pedestal is buried, you can't trigger it. Is that what you mean?

Last edited by Pagerron; 08-19-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #15
hitogoroshi
Duke of New York A #1

hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.hitogoroshi cleaned their plate and can now go play.

Basically, what I was saying is that it doesn't make sense to have this sort of thing set to touch, because it takes power away from the player when the game plays itself like that.
hitogoroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Sure, having the invisible event set to "button" as opposed to "touch." Yeah. That gives the player the ability to choose and check out what it is that they are about to pick up. Good comment.

Last edited by Pagerron; 08-19-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #17
Vonwert
Puzzle Maker

Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.Vonwert isn't the third movie in the trilogy.

I tried the platform for the custom dungeons, but while it looks good, it just eats up too much mem, since it adds all those rooms.

I then went with a doorless building set up, and while it isn't as high or stone like, it still does a good job.

I also did the event in a event. Hard to fit events in, but it does give me some great ideas for morphing different objects together.
Vonwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #18
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Yeah, it's a matter of trial and error, mostly just good fun.

With the events in events, using a coffin (I forget which graphic - the stone looking one) as a crate, you can fit a couple items on buried pedestals inside.

That's cool that using the doorless houses is a good memory saver with a similar effect. It's nice that none of the above tricks are set in stone and can be varied according to preference (and available memory space).

Last edited by Pagerron; 08-19-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #19
JPS
Juggernaaaauuuuttttt

JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.

Deleted because pagerron put it in the first post

Last edited by JPS; 11-03-2006 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Saving room
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #20
Libby
Teh Twitchy Penguin

Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.

HOW MAKE AN UNDERWATER CAVE.

I'm not quite sure how to make colored text, so here it goes for the "trick." (I'm still in the testing stages to make this perfect, but I think I got it.)

**Create a field that is at least 100+ units on the X-Axis. Decide where you want your dungeon to go, and create a solid field (like dirt or so, NOT water) and make the height approx. 45-60 units on the X-Axis, with enough of a slope to the rest of your field that you can have access to it. Set your field's water level to "Low."

Go to the layout option for your new field and place your dungeon(I used the deep cave, but I'm sure the ruins would work perfectly, or any other dungeon. I'd stear away from the fire or ice, unless you are using the ice in a snow field.) Anyways, lower or raise your dungeon until you are happy with the result.

Return to the feild option, and change the water level to average. On preview, you should be able to walk around the field except where you assigned the dungeon to go. If you did this right, you'll barely see the top of the dungeon above the water.

Now, depending on your story, to access the water, you'll have to create an event. I tired to do this on the field, but it wouldn't allow me to change it until I had a way to refresh the screen. I would do a story-teller or place the event in a town or dungeon.

In the event, make sure you have a property value event that changes the level of the water back to low. Once you do this, test it out in the playtest mode. You should be able to access the water-logged dungeon now.

to change the water level back, make another event, just make sure it's AFTER you leave the dungeon.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote