RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker General

Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small trees
Available NOW!... Simple Man's Quest for the Playground*

The winner of the Pavilionite Biography contest with a score of 10 out of 10, Simple Man's Quest for the Playground is now available to the public!

The Story:

Simple Man, the greatest hero in the history of the Pavilion* and its most popular member*, is finally given the opportunity to join the exclusive Pavilion club known as The Playground. But first he must prove himself by earning Goblis, only obtainable by completing quests for other Pavilion members*. Joined by other Pavilionites, and aided by a mysteriously cloaked individual, Simple Man will find that The Playground is of much bigger importance to the Pavilion than even he could realize*.

*As told by Simple Man

Remember, even though Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* was made using RPG Maker VX, you do not need VX to play it. All games made with VX are standalone .exe files, so all you have to do to play is download it to your computer once the file is available.

What does the game have?

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground features:
- Dozens of Pavilionites as party members, townspeople, shop owners, quest givers, bosses, and more! Adrian, Bonanza, Crunk, Draygone, Dreamknight, Foley, Fushigi, Gloomy, Gray, Highwind, Hito, IRC, Jeroak, Maijo, Porkchop, RPGD, Simple Man, Valk, and others!

- Non-linear gameplay. Do the things you want to do, when you want to do them.

- Unique battles, each with different elements and strategy, and character skills that utilize things like random effects, cooldowns, and automatically-discharging utility effects.

- Randomized treasure chests with over 120 possible common, uncommon, and rare items. Will you get highly sought after rare treasure like The Riotsword, Funk's Thinking Cap, and Goyle's Pocket watch?

- Optional easy mode, to use if you can't pass a battle, puzzle, etc. No game-overs here.

- A quest journal in case you forget what you need to do next, and a map to help find your way around The Pavilion.

- Random special events like offers for free games at the slot machine, or
visits from Smurvis the often-traveling merchant and BZ the skill trainer.

- A dedicated shop with different items for sale every day.

- Decorate Simple Man's house with furniture and pets you find or buy, each with their own unique benefit!

- Side activities to pass the time (and get rewards!). Dive for treasure with Sivart, play Garr's card matching game, or catch Vonwert's lost firefly pets.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground, available now! Click here!

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!

Last edited by Ryner; 01-02-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.
Re: Available soon... Simple Man's Quest for the Playground*

Ryner, this sounds amazing, and I say that without any type of qualification.

I know how it is with spending those last couple dozen hours to produce a finished version. I've had the same problem finding the time (and sometimes the motivation) to bug-fix Perversion & Paper.

I hope you have the time to finish the game in the next few months. Either way, I'm playing Simple Man's Quest as soon as you release it. It sounds epic.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Adrian Foley
Bootylicious

Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.Adrian Foley is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryner View Post
Simple Man's Quest for the Playground features:
- Dozens of Pavilionites as party members, townspeople, shop owners, quest givers, bosses, and more! Adrian, Bonanza, Crunk, Draygone, Dreamknight, Foley, Fushigi, Gloomy, Gray, Highwind, Hito, IRC, Jeroak, Maijo, Porkchop, RPGD, Simple Man, Valk, and others!
Have I split into two people?

Sivart: I'm a MAN.

Last edited by Adrian Foley; 08-10-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Adrian Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Rodak
Donkey Electron

Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.Rodak dated the minotaur again in high school for the Senior Prom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Foley View Post
Obviously.

Isn't it weird how you're the last to find out?

I may give this a go as well. Sounds nifty!

MOO!

Rodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

Quote:
I am laughing my ass off right now.

I bet what happened was he listed everyone (including listing your name correctly), then, in the fatigue of the wee hours, went back and decided to alphabetize the names, and in doing so saw a capital A and a capital F. Two or three minutes later, you had performed Mitosis! Congratulations!

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.Draygone can land the plane in Top Gun.

You do realize that just by including me in the game, I am now required to do a let's play on it, sometime? :P
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."
Draygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small trees

Quote:
Actually, yes.

Mwahahahahahaha.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Quote:
Actually, yes.

Mwahahahahahaha.
Wait, are you saying that Adrian Foley appears as two different people in your game?

Do I even appear as one different person?!?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Ryner
Bunny Car

You appear as ZERO different people.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.

Is this like an unofficial Pavilion Adventures spinoff?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ehhh, not really. It's got some jokes and Pavilion humor, but I wouldn't classify it as a comedy game. I never thought of it as connected to the PA universe.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.Big Rick Cook enjoys beefs.

Well, regardless, since it's VX and I don't have to own the software to play, I'll give it a while when it's around. Love me some Pavilion humor.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
Ryner
Bunny Car

Valk says the contest results are imminent, so I thought I'd update this topic with some more info I forgot to mention the first time around, as well as go into further detail on some features.

More features of Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* include:

Daily Missions

You can visit the daily mission agent near Simple Man's house to find out what the daily task is. Completing these missions before the day is out will earn you extra cash and treasure. The daily missions are always the kinds of things you'll usually be doing anyway while playing, such as completing a quest or winning a specific mini-game, so be sure to find out the daily mission every day!

Character Upgrades

Every quest you complete gives you a choice of upgrades for one or more characters. These upgrades fall under two categories:

-Utility abilities: These are abilities that automatically go off when specific conditions are met. Example: Simple Man's Grand Salvation, which will heal the entire party for 20% of their max HP every turn for 3 turns when Simple and one other party member are at critical health.

-Perks: These slightly improve an ability a character already has, such as increasing the duration of a buff, or reducing the number of turns an ability will be on cooldown for.

Each character has multiple upgrades to choose from. Will you make a character a better healer, or increase their damage output? The choice is yours.

No Game Overs

The battles in Simple Man's Quest are meant to be somewhat tough and complicated. The process of eventually defeating an encounter might require losing badly while you figure out proper strategy. To make this easier to swallow, the player will never see a game over screen, will never have to reload, and will never lose any data because they didn't save before a big fight.

Instead, after being defeated in battle you're presented with three choices. You can instantly retry the fight (fully healed of course), switch to easy mode and retry, or forget about the fight for the time being and be teleported to Simple Man's house, with the only penalty being the eventual walk back to the boss you'll have to make.

More about the quests

Simple Man's main objective is to collect enough Goblis to earn Playground access. To earn these Goblis he must complete quests around the Pavilion. Luckily, Simple Man is the most beloved hero in the history of the Pavilion, and there is no shortage to the number of Pavilionites willing to seek his aid. Just look for the big "!" symbol above their head. You can have as many active quests at a time as you'd like, and the handy quest log will keep you updated of the next step for each of them.

Quests have a varying number of steps, but none are long, epic chains. For the most part they're quick to complete, with only one boss battle (if that) and no random encounters. But you'll also need to solve puzzles, track down hidden people, and avoid fireball-throwing sentient crystals on your way to the Goblis.

-Quest preview: Stepping out of his house one bright morning, Simple Man finds a letter in his mailbox from Maijo. It turns out Maijo has a job offer for Simple Man and would like to speak with him at Highwind's, the local pub and inn. Once he meets up with Maijo, Simple Man will see that the Pavilion Survivor host is distressed about declining ratings. But he has an idea to save his show: make something extra exciting happen to boost interest. His plan is to have Simple Man capture a monster and give it to Maijo. This monster will then be "accidentally" set loose on Pavilion Survivor Island. What happens then? Ratings! Simple Man's task: head outside of town and run around the tall grass (because that's where monsters hide, after all) until he is attacked. Then, he must use the special Lokiballs (an invention of Alzar) to capture the monster and hand it over to Maijo.

More details on battles

While Simple Man's Quest uses a standard turn-based RPG battle system, I tried to give every battle a different element to keep things fresh and interesting. In one case you'll transform yourself into a demon to battle a powerful monster, in another you'll return to the dungeon screen every few turns to avoid projectiles in a shrinking room.

In the quest above, your battle against the monster in the grass has a Pokemon style to it. Simple Man gains a new ability for the duration of the battle: Throw Lokiball. Using this ability gives him a chance to capture the monster and end the battle. The lower the health of the monster, the better the chance of success. If a capture attempt fails, the monster goes into a rage and its already significant attack power increases; if its health gets too low, it'll heal itself. Will you risk a capture attempt or keep fighting? And how will your strategy change when half your team has been KO'ed by the monster?

Last edited by Ryner; 08-28-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

As I've said before, this sounds absolutely great and I can't wait to try it.

One thing I really, really like in the above update is how every quest gives a passive ability, boosts an active ability, etc. That should give the player a frequent feeling of accomplishment without the problems that come with the need to boost stats in a level-up system.

Also, "Pavilion Survivor Island". That's awesome.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #15
Ryner
Bunny Car

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground scores a perfect 10 out of 10 and is named the winner of the Pavilionite Biography contest:

http://www.pavilionboards.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24545

Submission topic:

http://www.pavilionboards.com/forum/...040#post560040

Thanks to Valk for the contest and for the review. To anyone who plays the game, please please feel free to provide any and all feedback.

Last edited by Ryner; 08-29-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #16
Ryner
Bunny Car

Re: Available NOW!... Simple Man's Quest for the Playground*

Edit: The game is now officially hosted on the Pavilion.

Check it out

Last edited by Ryner; 08-29-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 AM   #17
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like

I'll get the VX on-site directory activated tomorrow for it.

Here's a preview!

woo.

Last edited by Valkysas; 08-29-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Valkysas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:52 AM   #18
Ryner
Bunny Car

Meaning I'll have the first, oldest, longest, shortest, greatest, and worst game in the directory!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
Dillinger
Lv. 71 Thief

Dillinger is a fairly shiny person.

Quote:
Meaning I'll have the first, oldest, longest, shortest, greatest, and worst game in the directory!
I think "youngest" can fit in for the time being as well lol.

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-29-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Dillinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #20
RPGD
Apple Caviar

RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.RPGD can land the plane in Top Gun.

I'm totally up for this. Just let me finish up Bugface.

~Updates weekly on Sundays~
RPGD is offline   Reply With Quote