RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker General

Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small trees
Monster Must Die (available now)

My Halloween contest submission is now available for download. No outside programs needed, just download the .exe:

Download Here!

The Story

Every year, human cities around the world celebrate Halloween with The Hunt. One captured monster is let loose in a nearby wood to be hunted down and killed by anyone who chooses to participate. For that monster, the only hope of survival is to reach the monster city of RARGH!-Haven before the humans overwhelm it. Can you survive?

Monster Must Die is a roguelike style game in which you progress through a randomized forest area in which death is highly likely. To survive you'll need smart play and a little bit of luck. A winning round will only take 10-15 minutes to play, but a progression system and the highly random nature of the game (plus the fact that you'll die a lot) invites multiple playthroughs.

Features

Play as 4 famous monsters: Take a turn as a Zombie, Vampire, Werewolf, and Frankenstein. Each monster has 14 or more abilities to choose from (both unique abilities and those common to all monsters), allowing you to customize your strategy for each new playthrough. Two monsters are available at the start, while the other two are unlocked through winning (or losing).

No two playthroughs are the same: Not only do you have the option to choose new abilities every playthrough, but your adventure to RARGH-Haven is through a randomized wooded area. Each screen presents a new event or battle that must be completed before you can progress. Often you will be presented with a choice of how you can proceed (different monsters have different choices), with those choices leading to randomized results. Every time you play has the opportunity for something new!

Progression system: Winning (and sometimes losing) will get you one step closer to unlocking new content to encourage more play. A new boss, new challenges, and new monsters to play.

Monster Must Die is available now, Click Here!

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!

Last edited by Ryner; 02-11-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like
Re: Monster Must Die (available now)

Yay! this sounds awesome...
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

UH I THINK YOU MEAN A FRANKENSTEIN'S CREATURE.

Can't wait to check it out.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Fayorei
Are you Fay Rei?

Fayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received pudding

I just unlocked a character by beating it once with Zombie.

...This thing rocks. It's like... Oregon Trail. With slaughter. Slaughter-gon Trail.

BRAINS!

Last edited by Fayorei; 11-07-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Fayorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small treesRyner sleeps with small trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamknight View Post
UH I THINK YOU MEAN A FRANKENSTEIN'S CREATURE.
I know, and you're technically correct. But the monster's been called Frankenstein so much and for so long (see Bride of Frankenstein) that I figured it was acceptable to do so.

And thanks for the kind words, Fay.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Last edited by Ryner; 11-07-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

An excellent piece of work.

I've just played through my first game, and really enjoyed it. Had some good laughs. My favorite part was when "Vapid Lovestruck Girl" Isa joined my Vampire. TWILIGHT!! I was crestfallen when I lost her; she lasted a while.

I did find a couple things that seemed to be bugs. At one point, I had two "Bloodlusts" on my skill list, and I only lost one of them when I was healed, so I ended up being able to use it once when I wasn't supposed to. Additionally, the "5 damage to 3 random enemies" skill (maybe Bloodlust itself) hit the General 3 times, which I'm not sure was intentional, but helped me win a very tight battle. (EDIT: Also, the Items which teach you skills at the beginning - several of their descriptions are inconsistent with those of the Skills they teach you.)

Speaking of which, the balance is superb. I played "nice monster" and only attacked when necessary. I survived with 4HP!! This is a harder kind of game to balance than SMQ, and I applaud what looks like a spectacular job at first blush.

It's atmospheric, fun, strategic, and quick. I'm not the contest judge, but if I were, it would receive a very high score. Nice job.

You, sir, are a contest sniper.

By the way, if you're having trouble fixing any of the bugs I or anyone else notices, feel free to reach out for me, I'd be happy to try to add catches into the code to fix them.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Last edited by Wavelength; 11-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like

I'm on my third playthrough.

I keep getting trashed at the end.

It's fun as hell though! I like the skillset at the beginning, and how some of the random levels play out exactly like others...until something else happens entirely. LOL! Nice. As a short game with good replay, I would rate it pretty highly. Plus the Halloween theme is done well, I think.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

Strangely, after two wins, I've lost six in a row. Still having fun, of course.

Something very bizarre happened with the werewolf. I transformed right away, into a human, and all was fine... then, later, I transformed back into the wolf. After that, I was only dealing 0-2 damage every time I landed a hit. What happened?!

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Ryner
Bunny Car

I'm glad to hear people are enjoying the game, and I always appreciate feedback good or bad.

Quote:
I did find a couple things that seemed to be bugs. At one point, I had two "Bloodlusts" on my skill list, and I only lost one of them when I was healed, so I ended up being able to use it once when I wasn't supposed to.
I'll check this. I changed Bloodlust recently to make it more viable by letting it be usable at below 50% health (it used to be only usable below 25), it's possible I didn't change one of the events that control skills correctly.

Quote:
Additionally, the "5 damage to 3 random enemies" skill (maybe Bloodlust itself) hit the General 3 times, which I'm not sure was intentional, but helped me win a very tight battle.
Good point, it may be more powerful against single enemies than intended. Like I said originally you could use it less often so I was okay with it being strong, but I may have to rethink it and balance a bit.

Quote:
Also, the Items which teach you skills at the beginning - several of their descriptions are inconsistent with those of the Skills they teach you
That's annoying, I thought I checked all of those. I'll fix it.

Quote:
By the way, if you're having trouble fixing any of the bugs I or anyone else notices, feel free to reach out for me, I'd be happy to try to add catches into the code to fix them.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Since I never use scripting it's sometimes a pain to deal with glitches and bugs.

Quote:
Something very bizarre happened with the werewolf. I transformed right away, into a human, and all was fine... then, later, I transformed back into the wolf. After that, I was only dealing 0-2 damage every time I landed a hit. What happened?!
This is disturbing. I'll check it out.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Heh, I finally won with enough "material" to take on the bonus boss, and I wiped the floor with him! The Feral-Feed combo, with a little luck in the events, was awesome. By the end, my hits were all doing 50+ damage.

Score!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
Fayorei
Are you Fay Rei?

Fayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received puddingFayorei ate meat, received pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Heh, I finally won with enough "material" to take on the bonus boss, and I wiped the floor with him! The Feral-Feed combo, with a little luck in the events, was awesome. By the end, my hits were all doing 50+ damage.

Score!
Haha, that's the same way I did it!

Vampire is just awesome with that combo. I really dig it. I was sitting there last night trying to figure out the best skill setup for each monster.
Fayorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Ryner
Bunny Car

I smell a nerf coming!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryner View Post
I smell a nerf coming!
You would, Ryner!

For whatever it's worth, it definitely had potential to spiral out of control at the end, but made the early game tough going. I forgot to use Baggy the first time I tried to use that combo, and was finished on screen three. I sort of liked that risk/reward aspect of it.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Ryner
Bunny Car

I've uploaded a newer version of the game that includes some big fixes. I also changed one of the Werewolf abilities that I felt wasn't working out.

If you have an older version, you can copy your save files from the old folder and paste them in the new folder to keep your saves in the updated version.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
TheHonorableRyu
Face it straight!

TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Hey Ryner, I started playing Monster Must Die last night.

It's a good concept for a Halloween-themed game. The monsters seem fairly balanced, and it's fun to try out different skill combinations with each monster.

At the moment, I've got about 1:25 on the clock and my win/loss record reads:
Zombie W:1 L:1
Vampire W:1 L:2
Frankenstein W:1 L:0
Werewolf W:1 L:0
The Zombie win was due to glitch, though. On the map just prior to the boss I was fighting a priest and two soldiers with the Zombie and one zombie recruit (Drudge, I think). My main Zombie character was killed while the zombie recruit still had HP. The battle ended instantly but it didn't trigger a game over event. So I walked to the next map and fought the boss with my KO'd Zombie and the zombie recruit. When I lost to the boss, the win event was triggered instead of a game over event.

I haven't tried the Feed-Feral combo with the Vampire yet. Did this end up getting nerfed? And Wavelength means that Feral's attack boost worked only with the random-event based feeding, not with the skill Feed, right?

Thus far I've had by far the easiest win with Frankenstein due mostly to Doctor's Stash (Passive: Start the game with 2 Ghost Potions). The 5 skills were: Doctor's Stash, Thick Skin (Passive: +40 Max HP), Body Slam (+5 damage and chance to stun, 3), Rampage (Damage 2 Enemies + 2 Energy, B), and Throw Boulder (+15 damage to one enemy, costs 5 Energy). Doctor's Stash + Thick Skin and Body Slam + Rampage + Throw Boulder seem to have a lot of synergy together.

I seemed to do better with the Werewolf than with either the Vampire or the Zombie. I also seemed to do better with the Vampire than with the Zombie (getting further overall even on the losses), probably due to the Zombie needing to use up a skill in order to use equipment. I'll have to play it more to get a feel for how much of this is due to skill choices and random events.

Next on my to-do list is to defeat the Super Boss, see if I can win against the Mimic, try out a transformation strategy with the Werewolf (I stayed transformed all the way through my first attempt and won), and attack the unicorn.
TheHonorableRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonorableRyu View Post
I haven't tried the Feed-Feral combo with the Vampire yet. Did this end up getting nerfed? And Wavelength means that Feral's attack boost worked only with the random-event based feeding, not with the skill Feed, right?
In the version I played, it seemed to work by using the skill Feed, as well, which was cool. I rarely fed on anything in events - what can I say, I liked Isa!

I really should give the new version a try, too, especially since Werewolf was fixed. In the version I played a bug made a Pack strategy impossible (I assume this is the skill that was completely swapped). Franky was definitely the easiest to beat the standard game with, and Zombie was by far the hardest (I don't think I ever won with him) since you couldn't gain any event value. I was never lucky enough to trigger that "survival" bug that you found. Vampire was somewhere in the middle, normally, but with Feral it made it harder to complete the game but much easier to complete the bonus, which I thought was cool.

Fun game, fun game.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

I still pick this game up from time to time and play it. I STILL haven't actually beaten it. I get whizzed at it, but it's fun. I just have bad luck!

Last edited by Ωbright; 01-13-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Ωbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
Ryner
Bunny Car

Hey thanks guys! I'm glad to see people are still enjoying this. I've been thinking about expanding the game some more and might do that when the contest results are announced (since Valk said they were on the way).

Anyway, I've seen the no game over bug for the Zombie before but thought I had it fixed. It's supposed to be game over the instant your main character dies, so there's a few events running that handle other party members when that happens. There must be a mistake somewhere keeping the party alive when a zombie minion is up. I'll check it out some more since that's a brutal bug, thanks for letting me know.

Vampire hasn't been nerfed but the feral/feed combo can get a little out of hand. You do indeed get the +1 for feeding in battle and in events, and also for using feeding frenzy if you've selected it. That one is especially crazy, since feeding frenzy is a once-per-game feed on ALL enemies. There's one battle in the game with four enemies... so do the math there.

And I was surprised to hear about you guys having the most success with Frankenstein, as he was the character I always did poorest with in my playtesting. But he's got some good abilities and I like the different strategies you can use with him.

As always, thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like

Quote:
The Zombie win was due to glitch, though. On the map just prior to the boss I was fighting a priest and two soldiers with the Zombie and one zombie recruit (Drudge, I think). My main Zombie character was killed while the zombie recruit still had HP. The battle ended instantly but it didn't trigger a game over event. So I walked to the next map and fought the boss with my KO'd Zombie and the zombie recruit. When I lost to the boss, the win event was triggered instead of a game over event
Happened to me in my playthrough too.

Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Ryner
Bunny Car

Minus a million points