RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > Front Desk > News Forum

Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Pavilionite Biography Contest Results.

Here we go! I think I've gotten enough revenge for the extensions by now.

Instead of just posting the results right away, I'm going to post the reviews in this topic, from last place to first.

One thing I loved about this contest is that no one just made a standard RPG. Everyone made something special, and did some creative stuff with their software of choice. So every single person who entered should be applauded for that. This was some of the most fun I've ever had judging a contest.

So, read on for the results.

Last edited by Valkysas; 08-29-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Re: Pavilionite Biography Contest Results.

Perversion and Paper
by Wavelength

I'll get it out of the way now. This game has a game-breaking bug that I never found a way around (short of editing the game, and I'm not doing that), so the score is very low.

In this game, you are Perversion. You need money. For a television! a special awesome television! You have a week to raise $2500 by going to work, competing in a gameshow, or selling stuff on Ebay. On my first playthrough, my first day of work involved keeping track of stock. Little advice for this part: TAKE NOTES. I also did a game show after the first day of work, that was fun. second day of work is where things got bad. There's a shoplifter event that cycles endlessly. So I stopped and reset the system, loaded the game up again, and started over from the start. this time, the shoplifter event was the first day of work, and it still cycled endlessly. So the game is broken. It made me sad. I had fun with what was there, and I think the game has a lot of potential. It just has to be fixed first. Unfortunately, I can't give a good score for being a promising game. I will happily give it another play when it's fixed.

2 horned owls out of a possible 10

Last edited by Valkysas; 08-29-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Rosengard Revisited
By Pagerron

This is an odd one. It's a look at what Ivan Rosenard's game "The God Gene" could have looked like, back before Ivan came back to the pavilion. Ivan promised a sci-fi game made with RPGM3, and it seems Pagerron decided to see if such a thing was even possible. So here we have this tech-demo-ish thing.

There is one central hub map with atrocious camera problems, one NPC to talk to, and a console. From this console, you can visit "virtual reality simulations" of different areas. You can't explore them, only rotate the camera. They are some pretty interesting environments, I'll give him that. Rotating the camera in each one causes some problems with the sky, which vanishes if you look behind the character. So all you can really do is look forward in four different maps that display for about 30 seconds each.

That's it.

It's worth a download if you like seeing RPGM3's medieval fantasy limitations being broken, but other than that...

3 broken legs out of a possible 10

Last edited by Valkysas; 08-29-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Pavilion Iron Chef Episode II
By Obright

In Pavilion Iron Chef Episode 2, you compete against Crunk to become the next... Pavilion Iron Chef. This is done by selecting choices in multiple choice menus. You'll pick a cooking style at the start of the game, and for each round you'll pick a main ingredient, a secondary ingredient, and a seasoning. Based on these choices, you'll create a food item object. Your food item object is then launched at a panel of three judges, who are all (well, aside from one) Pavilion members. They'll judge it according to their own likes and dislikes. They are a pain in the ass to please. Crunk will also make food item objects.

The first Pavilion Iron Chef game was something totally different from what we had seen with RPG Maker 3 before. The interesting game mechanic, combined with judges from the community, and great writing made it a very fun and memorable game. Unfortunately, even so long after the first game, this kind of ends up feeling like "more of the same". It's still very entertaining, and definitely still worth playing, but it's just hard to get as excited about it as I was with the first game, so the score suffers just a little bit.

6 1/2 yellow finches out of a possible 10.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Bon's Dorito Dash
By Duel

New Xtra Cheesy Doritos! Bon wants them! He can't find any at the local store! Tragedy! Bon randomly calls people asking about the new Doritos, and is sent on an epic quest to obtain them.

This is an interesting game. It's got a "Still Tree" (skill tree?) that allows you to learn new powers by spending dorito bags you find around the world. It's actually pretty fun searching them out. Enemies are divided into three different classes (and some don't even have a class), and certain powers work better on some than others, so some actual strategy is required to use the "Still Tree", and win the battles. The game's writing is funny, the map work is pretty good, and it's very creative. You also have to love the subject chosen. You just have to.

7.4 pickled books out of a possible 10

Last edited by Valkysas; 08-29-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground
By Ryner

The Pavilion is an actual, physical place. Simple Man wants in the Playground. Simple Man doesn't have enough Goblis to get in the Playground. No worries! He's the hero of the Pavilion! Everyone will be happy to give him the Goblis he needs, if he's willing to work for them.

This is a big game. A wide variety of Pavilion members are represented here, and pretty much everyone can help with Simple Man's quest. Each day you're given a selection of tasks you can do to earn Goblis from the community either by talking to people around town, or checking the message board, and they all tie into the individual Pavilion members, past community events, or even RPGM games. You can only choose one task per day, so you won't see everything in one playthrough. The battle system is great, every character is unique, and one that I really liked was Fushigi, who can draw Chibis to assist in battle. Boss battles are inventive and fun, with occasional breaks from the main battle system to spice things up. Dungeons are full of great puzzles, and if they're too hard, you are allowed to bypass them for a penalty, so there's really no excuse for getting stuck. I'm trying to think of something negative to say about the game, and I'm only coming up with positives. Good job.

10 benign tumors out of a possible 10.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Okay! Yay! Prize time!

The winner of the contest will be contacted via PM early next month about their prize.

As will Red Dragon, for winning the Horrors of Fanfiction contest that only got one entry and I totally forgot to give it any acknowledgement or prize for a very long time.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.

Gleeeeeeee.

The public release should be available shortly.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

It was absolutely painful to give the bottom two scores, but it really couldn't be helped.

Last edited by Valkysas; 08-29-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like

Congrats, Ryner!

And good work, everybody! No matter how you placed, you FINISHED your game and should be proud.
Ωbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.

My game topic now has a rapidshare link to the Simple Man Quest files as a temporary solution while the game is uploaded to the site.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

Congrats, Ryner, Duel, Obi, Page! You guys made some pretty cool stuff. I've already had the chance to play half the games and SM's quest is on top of my list when I get back home and can use my Desktop. I liked Rosenguard Revisited a lot, for the short time it lasted. I was a little surprised to see the low score.

No need to feel bad for the score on mine Valk: I figured it might go either way, and saw the chance of this coming. The infinite loop you hit was the result of a stupid oversight where I forgot to add a Modify Mode command in and was the result of insufficient playtesting (as I was crunching like crazy). Gah! Lesson learned, for sure. I've got some other bugs which are much harder to fix, which is why I still haven't released the clean version.

I enjoyed reading these reviews, and would love to see the original ones you wrote up, if you're able to recover them. Not just mine, but everyone's. Thanks again for holding the contest!

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Last edited by Wavelength; 08-29-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:34 AM   #13
Perversion
Girl Licker

Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like

Grats, everyone!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Quote:
I liked Rosenguard Revisited a lot, for the short time it lasted. I was a little surprised to see the low score.
I didn't like scoring it so low, but in the end, it wasn't so much a game as it was a tech demo. a nice tech demo.

Quote:
I enjoyed reading these reviews, and would love to see the original ones you wrote up, if you're able to recover them. Not just mine, but everyone's. Thanks again for holding the contest!
I think yours was actually shorter, originally.

Last edited by Valkysas; 08-29-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!

Valkysas,

Thanks for hosting this contest. It was fun to participate in. You're definitely right that my entry wasn't really a full game. I hope at least it keeps Ivan thinking about the Pav, which was its purpose in the end. (Would you consider .85 bonus broken legs for being the only one to turn in a game before the first original deadline. )

Ryner,

Congratulations man. You definitely deserve the win! I have really enjoyed reading your posts about your game. Now that I have a decent laptop, I look forward to checking it out.

Duel,

I don't have any way to play your RPG Maker 1 game, but it does sound neat.

Obright,

Your game is still on my memory card and is definitely worth another playthrough.

Wavelength,

I look forward to playing through your cleaned up version. I really liked the concept of your game man.

Great job everybody!!! Yay Valkysas!!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Dillinger
Lv. 71 Thief

Dillinger is a fairly shiny person.

Yippy! Now I'm definitly going to give everyone's game a try when I get the chance!
I take pride in playing games I can only imagine of creating!
although I do have a something cooking up, it'll probably be a long while lol.

Congratulations to everyone!
you all did an awesome job i'm sure!
and get a very well deserved typed out "HIGH FIVE" Swoooooosh!

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-29-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Dillinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.

I'd be curious who all appeared in which games.

By the way, it turns out Duel isn't the first to create a Dorito's game. I can't remember what it was called, but it was in the Xbox 360 Arcade.
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."
Draygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #18
Duel
Donkey Emperor

Duel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealed

Yeah, I found out about that when I was working on mine. I was very surprised when I found out both games had Dash in the title. Strange coincidence.

Congrats to Ryner for whooping my game's butt.
Duel is online now   Reply With Quote