RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker General

Old 08-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #61
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.
Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) - Oscar the Grouch

Let's Play "SD Paradise" Ep3: Issue 3, Volume 1

Is this a video game or a movie? Well, at least the game part is fun. And so is that custom stage.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/53/

And so ends the SD Paradise LP. What you guys think? And also, any of you play that "Golden Pearl" game I linked to in the first LPisode of this?
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."
Draygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #62
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.
Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep41 - Issue 3, Volume 1

Let's Play With Zombies! Ep1 - Knight to Pawn

At last, it's time for another new LP! And this one may be the most awesome and epic one, yet! Time to deal with some zombies... sorta. The setting of the game is established in this episode, and our hero is given a Presidential mission. But, oh, if he had any idea what was in store for him....

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/58/

Download Game Here
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

Last edited by Draygone; 10-30-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #63
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep43 - Knight to Pawn

Hey, guys, I've got a good question for you. With previous games, I wound up editing out repeat battles. I'm wondering if it should still be that way, with me only showing a couple battles, and most every other battle gets phased out and the majority of the episode be just exploration and story. Maybe I should show them all, or maybe I should put them on fast-forward instead of cutting them out completely. With games like this, once I figure out a strategy, each battle winds up playing out the same way, so I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #64
Leish
Amateur Dinosaur

Leish is a snappy catLeish is a snappy catLeish is a snappy catLeish is a snappy cat

I think fast forwarding is a good idea. Watching random battles over and over again can be pretty monotonous, but showing them gives the sense of frequency of battles in an area and how that bogs down your hp/mp/items overall. Fast forwarding would quickly pass through the monotony but also show the overall sense of difficulty in an area.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #65
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Let's Play "The Spiteful Dead" Ep2 - Knight to Pawn, part II

It's a trap! A.k.a. "the nightmare episode".

The last episode established the setting, this episode establishes the plot and action. Robert Miguelle has survived the elevator, but now he must survive an onslaught of battles as he makes his way to the rooftop to shoot the President. To his surprise, once he reaches the top, a girl is there waiting for him.

This episode was a nightmare on all counts. Recording it, I failed to find that I had a special ability to fights, I failed to figure out the plot twist midway through the episode despite its obviousness, and I had to come to terms with the fact that I was going to have to split the episode into two parts. Editing it, I found that my capture device suffered from serious lag, and that it refused to work on a particularily orange screen, and I had to do a lot of editing to make it come together properly.

Hopefully, it was worth it.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/61/

Download Game Here

Last edited by Draygone; 10-30-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #66
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep44 - Knight to Pawn, part II

Apparently many of the typos in the last LPisode was because WMM has decided that it doesn't like ending sentences with punctuation marks...

Let's Play "The Spiteful Dead" Ep3 - Unholy Breath of Life

It's the first dungeon of the game, as we try to find our way out of the zombie-infested police station. And the task is not as simple as one might think.

I decided to try mixing up with the battles, editing some out while speeding through others. Lemme know if it works.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/62/

Download Game Here

Hey, Xisthruos! Soon as you see these, be sure to let me know. I think I'm going to delay the next one until you actually know these exist, 'cause this is three hours of video already.

Last edited by Draygone; 11-04-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 AM   #67
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep45 - Unholy Breath of Life

In LPisode 2 of this LP (the "nightmare episode"), once scene had to be edited out because my video capture went berserk. I had tried to re-record the scene, but my video capture simply did not like that screen. Along with that, the video and sound went way out of sync, so the awesome scene that took place before it was a bit less awesome than it was when I played it.

So, last night I went to Radio Shack because my mouse had died and my back-up trackball mouse sucked. And right beneath the mice (if the plural for the electronic is that), I saw a video capture worth $50. Decided to try it out. Found it works. A bit of artifacting here and there, but nothing terrible.

So, I decided to use it to re-record both scenes for you. And for your extra enjoyment, I showed how easy the first "boss" would've been had I known I could use the sniper rifle in battle. (Sorry, no commentary for this.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4923qEAVc

Unfortunately, this new device comes a little late, as I have already recorded the entire LP. There might be scenes in the future that had technical hiccups. Whether I'll re-record them, depends on how far into the game there are.

Last edited by Draygone; 11-06-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #68
Xisthruos
Pavilionite

Xisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with Jesus
For me, watching this game is just like reading stuff I did back in High School. Argh. Best I could come up with at 15, though.

The game is a fun ride if you can ignore some of the problems/plot holes.

My own thoughts about the game have been absent from the forums until now. I feel like enough time has passed that I can speak about the project objectively now. This is more a criticism of my own work than Draygone's, (whose videos are so good as to be made of magical sparkledust which powers the ancient cogs of heavenly dreams. Or something.)

I guess I should warn for SPOILERS, but I doubt anyone will care to play the game since these fine videos are available:

Episode 1

-I always wanted to have quieter, moodier music than the happy tunes from RPGM, hence my gratuitous use of silence. It was a similar issue with the black screens. The ideas in my head were more complex than RPGM could do. I've learned not everyone likes to look at blank screens and pretend what could be there.

-You're playing the most up-to-date version of the game, as the first Chapter is called "Bitterness," and not "Broken Dreams."

-The lengthy cutscenes seemed necessary for me at the time. Not so much any more. However, the gradual establishment of mood and setting is something not done a lot in RPGM games. Requires a lot of patience and restraint. In hindsight, though, the game didn't have to take so long to get to something interesting. Less internal dialogue is better. Robert thinks too much. Too much explained too soon.

-I could have been more explicit about the Weapons and Ammo system early on ingame. However, there WAS a readme file included with the game download. You read it, right Draygone?

-In the side material, I made a lot of cryptic references no one but myself would ever get. I'd have to go a long way toward explaining them, and they wouldn't be particulary interesting anyway.

-Believe it or not, the dialogue was worse before I released the game. The majority of time I spent on this game was on retouching dialogue. What I ended up with doesn't sound so good to me today, though.

Episode 2-

-The variety of items\moves available and the attention to detail are the main perks of the game. The fact that no ability really seems overpowered or useless is definitely good. The battles are pretty well balanced so far, though back then I had more of a need for games to punish me with difficulty. Sorry you're dealing with that now.

-A lot of the scenes are over-melodromatic. I needed to work harder to make the characters real before forcing the player feel sorry for them. Character motivation is iffy at times.

-Perhaps I should have implemented a way to better remind players where to head next.

-Action scene at top of the skyscraper took more than three hours to do. But I still should have done more scenes like that one.

-For some reason, the Police Department also houses a court room.

Episode 3-

-Still too much dialogue to sit through.

-I can still make up random book names all day. It's a terrifying power.

-All I did in the update from late 2003 was fix bugs. No story was added/changed.

-The sudden influx of recovery items/weapons in the Police Dept basement is a relief, right? I really should have put a save\recovery point on each floor.

-Why, oh why did I put cell security control in the autopsy room?

-Big zombie fight is too reliant on grenades. You run out, you're screwed. Also, the lack of save points right before it made it so some players lost nearly an hour of progress because of death.

-Zombies. Poison zombies. Evil giant zombie. McFly had to die. It's a rule. There was no other way. Hope you enjoyed the meal.

-The story is starting to heat up. If you can just pretend it's believable, it will be awesome.

If you manage to finish this game, kudos to you. There are some good moments ahead, and some trouble spots as well. Suffer well.

Last edited by Xisthruos; 11-07-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Xisthruos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #69
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Quote:
but I doubt anyone will care to play the game since these fine videos are available
Actually, the reason I make these videos is to encourage people play these games. Somebody's bound to see this game, find it interesting, and decide to play it themselves. And they might as well, 'cause I air these at such a slow rate, like here I've only shown a few hours of gameplay in the past two weeks, it'd just be faster to play the game themselves. (Hint-hint, you all. )

Quote:
-I could have been more explicit about the Weapons and Ammo system early on ingame. However, there WAS a readme file included with the game download. You read it, right Draygone?
Yeah, like midway through making the LP. :P

Quote:
The battles are pretty well balanced so far, though back then I had more of a need for games to punish me with difficulty. Sorry you're dealing with that now.
I've been playing RPGs for over 10 years. I'm sure I can handle the challenge at this point. Besides, I beat your final boss, didn't I?

Quote:
-The story is starting to heat up. If you can just pretend it's believable, it will be awesome.

If you manage to finish this game, kudos to you.
See previous point. And having done so, I can safely say that it remains my favorite RPGM game. I was really blown away by big zombie Xis's plot.

Thanks for responding (and wow, what a response). Now I can resume slowly uploading new LPisodes. Next one's up Monday, folks!

(PS, Xisthruos, I'm planning on sending you another PM at some point after the sixth or seventh LPisode. Keep an eye out for it; it's going to be important to these LPs.)
Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #70
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Let's Play "The Spiteful Dead" Ep4 - The Recluse

People didn't believe it. They said it wasn't possible. But the rumors were true. There exists a cutscene longer than the ones in Xenosaga!

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/63/

I don't know why I said "worthless". It certainly wasn't. Maybe I was just tired.

Download Game Here
Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #71
Xisthruos
Pavilionite

Xisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with JesusXisthruos plays golf with Jesus
Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep46 - The Recluse

Episode 4-

-I kind of wish RPGM would have let me change the colors of the tile palette instead of only being able to darken the entire screen. I could have created a dark atmosphere without the game's colors being dull and grey.

-Perhaps the opening of the downtown area could have been extended with a little more exploration and more of a 'safety net' before the lengthy cutscene occured.

-Decently excecuted action scene with minimal hiccups.

-Robert is a lonely pervert. Good or bad?

-Alicia is kind of a weak character throughout the game. It stands to reason a teenage boy would have difficulty writing lines for an adult woman in a relationship. More melodrama between her and Robert. Still, there exists worse in the depths of RPGM hell.

-Ben is also somewhat weak. He's supposed to be in his forties, but he seems to act more like an autistic child at times.

-I had a bit of fun describing the zombies's behavior and history in detail, as well as that of the world's magic. In the future, I would prefer to relegate this to side information rather than make it something the player has to sit through.

-The cutscene is long because I wanted to make it seem as though a lot of time had passed while the characters waited (or hoped) for evac. Could have been creative and set up more player involvement via dialogue choices or simple puzzle scenes (procurement of food/supplies, maintenance of their shelter, failed attempts to escape, etc.) As long as it only replaced the dialogue and didn't slow things down even more.

-This episode is pretty much all cutscene. Cutscenes are also kinda problematic in RPGM because they eat up a ton of scenario data.

-THE END. I'm not sure how much more I can apologize for writing I did eight years ago.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #72
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep46 - The Recluse

Let's Play "The Spiteful Dead" Ep5 - Quoth the Zombies... Ever Moan

The escape plan has been made. Now our heroes must traverse a vast library for supplies. Unfortunately for them, that means becoming librarians. However, for our resident dracoon, this is where the game starts picking up.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/64/

Download Game Here
Old 11-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #73
Xisthruos
Pavilionite

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep47 - Quoth the Zombies... Ever Moan

-It pays to be somewhat liberal in your use of weapon/Lore/item uses, as enemies can cause a lot of trouble if you don't kill them quickly. But it's still possible to overuse your resources. I replayed the game a lot trying to balance things properly.

-Basic Lore is garbage. Don't bother with it once you have Fire. I made Basic Lore a garbage skill intentionally, but I'm feeling now that I should've either made the spells more useful, or just removed the later ones to reduce clutter.

-The fact that the player needs to periodically return to the rest point to study spells kind of encourages the use of the save point and rest point, which is good. I'm not sure if I did that intentionally, though.

-I guess the basic mechanic of collecting books and placing them around the libarary can get a bit tedious. The quickest and best route is to travel around the library, exterminating all the zombies (bottom to top), THEN look for where to place the books (top to bottom). The library is symmetrical, so I'd hoped that would simplify things. However, I understand the objective isn't exactly clear at first. Perhaps if RPGM would have let me store more info regarding an item, the puzzle could have been simpler, or I could have come up with a simpler code for the book titles/library sections.

-Level design is of utmost importance in making games, although it's easily overlooked. The problem with the library dungeon is that the massive size of the area doesn't pair well with the arbitrary book-finding puzzle. Neither of these two issues is a big problem on its own, but they combine poorly. It's not as though I hadn't put a lot of thought into this area, but for some reason I hadn't taken into account that other people don't have the same level of INHUMAN patience I seem to have. The library just wouldn't have been as impressive if it wasn't so large, though.

-Again, I feel like there's slightly too much inner dialogue with Robert. I hadn't learned the importance of restraining myself back then. Too much unnecessary detail.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #74
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisthruos View Post
I hadn't taken into account that other people don't have the same level of INHUMAN patience I seem to have.
-Again, I feel like there's slightly too much inner dialogue with Robert. I hadn't learned the importance of restraining myself back then.
That, and you had that INHUMAN patience to type all that out with a controller. :P
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #75
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Let's Play "The Spiteful Dead" Ep6 - Carmageddon

Xis has begun his attack. The library is in flames. The city is in ruin. And the only path to freedom is blocked by a hoard of zombies. Our heroes are going to need more than willpower to plow their way to victory.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/65/

Download Game Here
Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 AM   #76
Xisthruos
Pavilionite

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep48 - Carmageddon

-It's definitely from this point onward that players decide that they really like the Spiteful Dead. Congratulations on making it through the slow (but reasonably fun) part of the game!

-the "Escape from the library" scenario has some randomness to the outcome of certain events (can't remember which specifically), but it's nothing that would keep you stuck for long since the odds are stacked in your favor.

-It's theoretically possible to beat XIS2005 in the library, but since he's so tough it's just about impossible. Hence why I handed out a save point beforehand. If you (somehow) managed to defeat him, you were able to proceed through the library without being pestered by him at all. The group of zombies would still try to get you though, and the rest of the game would proceed as normally. It's not really recommended you try to beat him, anyway.

-For most of the mini-games I dispensed entirely with the pretense of making them seem realistic. They're a lot more fun as a result, since they have you doing ridiculous things.

-I had no idea how to hotwire a car in real life, so I came up with a ridiculously silly mini-game where you solve math and logic puzzles. You don't have to get all the questions right, though. Instead, you're given a "score," which is tallied at the very end of the game. It is fairly lenient, too. The last question is obviously a freebee.

-The car mini-game is very simplistic, and most of the action is related to collecting prize tokens. However, it should have been extremely fun to be able to finally take down hordes of those zombie bastards at a time since they had been giving you such a hard time. Simplistic, but pretty decent for RPGM. It also ought to give you the sense that you're making an epic escape from the city.

-Maybe some of the bonus items aren't as useful as they could have been, but the game is balanced out so that the later levels aren't impossible even if you make a bad choice or don't use any of them.

-The best mini-game is still yet to come.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #77
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Quote:
-For most of the mini-games I dispensed entirely with the pretense of making them seem realistic. They're a lot more fun as a result, since they have you doing ridiculous things.
I totally agree. Having all those prizes at the end really made it worth hunting down the tokens. (Woo, flamethrower! That'll get some use!) And I still chuckle every time I watch that car go floating into space. :P
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #78
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Let's Play "The Spiteful Dead" Ep7 - Need Not Tread Lightly

A car may be good for clearing a path through zombies, but even it can crumble before an even greater might. Both old and new faces make an appearance in this LPisode, and none of them are welcome. Will our heroes be able to make it out of the city?

I could make so many puns out of this Lpisode.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Draygone/videos/66/

Download Game Here
Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #79
Xisthruos
Pavilionite

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep49 - Need Not Tread Lightly

-I was a little too good about keeping secrets in the storyline of the Spiteful Dead. I've included some side info about some of the "Order of Xisthruos" characters with the commentary.

-The shootout mini-game is pretty much rock-paper-scissors, but the odds are slightly in your favor. You have just as much likelihood of hitting the enemy from any position. For each enemy, your chance of hitting is less likely to occur. It never gets down to less than 25% likelihood. Despite that fact, random probabilities may not have been the best way to go. One player may have had a much easier run than another player, and there wouldn't have been anything they could do about it. The boss battle is made intentionally easy, but it doesn't completely address the issue.

-Fun Fact: Aedana is one of the leaders of the shadowy "Order of Xisthruos" organization. He is the general in charge of their armed forces. The Order is several hundred years old, and they've only recently begun modernizing their weaponry. Aedana himself is almost as old as the organization.

-In the tank mini-game, you don't actually have to have to walk right next to the enemy to fire. You just have to be within line of sight on the road the target's on. The extra effort I put into that may not have been necessary, as it did not really change the way the levels played out. Oh well.

-The tank mini-game is probably one of the most clever mini-games I made. It's not overly difficult, but the levels usually requires several attempts to finish. (That's excluding the final one, of course, which is a freebee.)

-Robert and Alicia fight a lot, but you know they're secretly hot for each other. ^.^

-The mayor wasn't "in" on the whole zombie conspiracy. Otherwise, I think he would have been among the first to evacuate.

-I've already commented on the black screens.

-Fun Fact: Ikanda is another of the four leaders of the "Order." However, he has the least responsibility to the Order out of all other leaders given the fact that he has a higher calling as lord over the dead. Naturally, he would be attracted to this city. He is the most senior member (aged several thousand years.)

-Fun Fact: Anastasia is yet another leader of the "Order," but you never see her in the entire game. She has a strong personality, and the other members yield to her will almost completely. She is also borderline insane. However, I didn't get around to using her much in Spiteful Dead. Had you been able to see her, her graphic would have been the egyptian/middle eastern style princess. She isn't any particular ethnicity--this would have just been a wardrobe choice. She has an available wardrobe of over a hundred thousand different pieces, by the way.

-Gotta love that constant use of the "zombie-head-explode" graphic.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #80
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Re: Let's Play (With Draygone) Ep49 - Need Not Tread Lightly

I still say you could make a whole game out of that tank mini-game.

EDIT!

Update video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sT7gimc9Rs

I had stuff to talk about. I crammed 16 minutes into 11. Here's what I go over.

* Update schedule for this week
* New capture device
* Giving away old one to potential RPGM LPers
* Gathering suggestions on new equipment
* Explaining why I focus on RPGM games
* Requesting feedback to improve viewership

Last edited by Draygone; 11-23-2009 at 12:22 AM.