Phantasy Star Online!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantasy Star Online!

So last night Thief of Dreams introduced me to a private server for the PC version of the game. This game actually still exists ONLINE! Not only that, but it has been updated with 1080p, widescreen, plug and play controller support. The server had almost 200 people on last night when we were playing. It was just insane!

Anyway, I had so much fun that it reminded me of my favorite place on the internet. Which is right here of course! I wanted to share some screenshots but I didn't have time to figure how to do it. So instead I took a pic with my crappy phone. Behold, 15 years later......2X and Thief of Dreams have become trapped in the Twilight Zone.

Re: Phantasy Star Online!

What server is it? Schthack?

I got an account on the private neogaf server too but never really acted on it.

I still mull over whether or not to just try and put up with PSO2's unlocalized form and play that. The little I did play of it was a lot of fun.

Comment

This is on the Ultima server. www.phantasystaronline.net I had no idea there was a single private server, much less multiple. Where have a I been?! If there are English speaking players on the PSO2 servers then it'd probably be fun even in Japanese.

Comment

Yeah PSO2's got some ships that are mostly populated by english speakers, some patches for item names too.

That said, there's all sorts of hopes you have to jump through to play it as they implement a very strict IP lock to keep people from outside japan from connecting

Comment

That is both cool and hilarious. I can't believe that PSO is still popular, after so many years. I know gray was wanting to try it out, so maybe he can join up with you. I'll let him know.

Also, good to see you, man. How have you been?
          Eat Smello.

Comment

Hey thats me!

I checked out PSO2 last night and it looks pretty great. easy to install now, as there is just a download manager you get and it installs the game and the english patches also. Not everything is translated and I only went through some of the tutorial stuff. The hardest part of getting PSO2 going was the Japanese signup where you have to do a hiragana captcha box lol. Other that that, getting started was easy as pie.

There is still stuff in the tutorial that isnt translated, but i havent been far in enough to check out to what degree the rest is.

either way, if anyone wants to come join us playing, the more the merrier!

Comment

posting with real account for posterity

Hey thats me!

I checked out PSO2 last night and it looks pretty great. easy to install now, as there is just a download manager you get and it installs the game and the english patches also. Not everything is translated and I only went through some of the tutorial stuff. The hardest part of getting PSO2 going was the Japanese signup where you have to do a hiragana captcha box lol. Other that that, getting started was easy as pie.

There is still stuff in the tutorial that isnt translated, but i havent been far in enough to check out to what degree the rest is.

either way, if anyone wants to come join us playing, the more the merrier!

Comment

Hey, it's been a while since you've been here. I'm glad you're doing well.

I would love to join you guys, but I can't right now due to circumstances beyond my control. I miss being able to game with old friends, but I still have lots of good memories. I hope you'll stay in touch from time to time, even if we can't game together.
                Eat Smello.

Comment

I miss playing with all you guys too!

Thought I might throw up some screenshots of PSO 2 here. So far im loving it:

Comment

It's great to see you as well Nixon! I didn't actually expect to get any responses on this post at all, haha! It would be a blast to have you play with us but honestly I'm not really playing it either. Life is just way too hectic right now to even play video games, much less something like PSO. It's just really cool to take the trip down memory lane. That time when we were all around and available to waste countless hours with online video games....was magical. Though probably a magic we will never capture again. At least not until we are all in retirement homes, lol.

Those pics of PSO2 are mind blowing! It looks much more in line with the original game and is just gorgeous. That is pretty hard to resist.

Comment

Man, back in the day, I had so much free time, even when I was working and taking classes. Despite all that, I could still devote a good chunk of my life to playing games and even making a crappy RPG Maker game! These days, I'm way too busy with work and life, just like the rest of us.

PSO was my first real MMORPG, and being able to game and talk with people around the world was a huge draw. Playing with other pav people was something I'll always treasure, because it was always enjoyable and silly. I wouldn't have stuck with the game for so long if not for my friends.

I also remember PSO as being one of those games that taught me a lesson. I loved the hell out of it, but it caused some problems, too. One weekend I spent most of my time playing the game. I didn't sleep much at all. When I realized how much time I wasted, I vowed to never do that again.

PSO2 looks great, and I would love to try it if they ever bring it here. Remember PSU? That didn't last long.
                      Eat Smello.

Comment

Yea PSO was my first real foray into an MMO environment.

Still really enjoying PSO2 and I am surprised at how well done all the fan translation stuff is. They just released an expansion that added Episode 4 and a new summoner class. I really only have found time to play during slow periods at work though lol.

So i thought i might post a few more screenshots:

This is a MAG photon Burst:

Comment

Thanks for sharing all these pics. The world is just so beautiful and familiar. Everything about it looks like a fan service to the fans of the original PSO.

Comment

yeahhh think I'm gonna try and get it running again. I'm gonna be really doped up for a bit in a few weeks and will need something to pass the time with.

Did you have a guide you followed?
                            Last edited by DK; 02-12-2016, 04:05 PM.

Comment

They really have done a great job with it!

As far as installing goes, I just followed the guide and links here: http://arks-layer.com/setup.php

Dont worry about PSOes 2, as that is an android app, though you can use it to buy microtransaction stuff.

install PSO tweaker and then there will be an orb on the top right of the launcher, from there you can install all the english patches and then there is a tab on the button to install some plugins that translate items and something else i think.

Its really easy, with the exception of the Hiragana that you need to do a captcha box for. I just went to wikipedia to get the characters.

Also, make characters on Ship 2.
                              Last edited by Thief of Dreams; 02-13-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X