RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker Workshop > RPG Maker 3

Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like
RM3 Itemised data usage list:

The overall data limit is arguably the scariest thing about beginning a new RM3 game, but it doesn't have to be. I've been working on this list, in order to try and catalog everything that can be added to an RM3 game, and how much of the overall data percentage is used with each.

These are in two groups...items which have a SET usage, and those which have a BASIC usage which increases as you add data to it. On the list below, things which can be added to without increasing the data usage are in blue, and those which get bigger with additions are in orange. Take message boxes for example...adding one increases the DU% by the same amount, whether you enter 1 text character or 386 (the max). On the other hand, dungeons take up a certain amount of data when you simply place a new blank one, but as you add to it, the DU gets bigger.

Here's the list:

starting a new game = 0.2%

AREAS
1 new blank map = 2.1%
1 new blank dungeon = 0.4%
1 new blank town (any type) = 0.1%
2 new blank shops (any type) = 0.1%
3 new blank houses (any type) = 0.1%

3 new decorations (any type) = 0.1%

PEOPLE
1 new character (any) = 0.3%
1 new class (any) = 0.3%
1 new enemy (any type/size) = 0.2%
1 new enemy party (with any enemy placement) = 0.3%

ITEMS
1 new item (any type) = 0.1%

EVENTS
2 new blank events (any model) = 0.1%
1 new blank storyteller = 0.1%
(lots of work left to do here...)
4 new message boxes = 0.1%

MONSTERS
4 monsters ~ 1%

This list will expand over time, hopefully to include everything which can be added to an RM3 game. I compiled this list by simply starting a new game, and pressing 'select' twice to see my 'live' data usage. Then I can immediately know the DU value of anything by adding it, and checking the DU again...it's really simple. In any case, maybe this resource will be helpful.

Last edited by hitogoroshi; 01-05-2008 at 02:24 AM. Reason: adding lausens find.
Ωbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Re: RM3 Itemised data usage list:

wow. very cool.

Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!

Obright,
That's a nice reference tool. Good job. This will help lots of people plan out their games.

Last edited by Pagerron; 11-12-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Pagerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
DYRE
Victoly!

DYRE has a brilliant futureDYRE has a brilliant future

Sweet. One problem, though. I can't read that green on the blue emerald skin.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYRE View Post
Sweet. One problem, though. I can't read that green on the blue emerald skin.
If I change the green for you, will I be making it harder for someone else using a different skin? I haven't messed with the skins really...I like the blue just fine. I tried using bold and italics first, but it was much easier to read using the colors.

And thanks Valk, Pagerron, and DYRE! Like I said, it's easy to find all of this out, but having it all in one place might be handy.

[EDIT] - I see what the problem is now...it's not so much the color, but the value of the color...it's too light. I think I can fix it to be legible using both skins...

[EDIT 2] - I think it's fixed now.

Last edited by Ωbright; 11-15-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
Perversion
Girl Licker

Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like

I could be off base on this, but it seems as if adding mode 2 to an existing mode 1 uses less memory than adding mode 19 (for an example) to an existing mode 18. You might want to test this out too.

EDIT: I mistakenly used the word "more" where I should have used the word "less." I fixed the error.

Last edited by Perversion; 11-18-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Perversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
Red Dragon
Left

Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon Red Dragon

I think I've said this somwhere before but...

I <3 Obright
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
JPS
Juggernaaaauuuuttttt

JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.

I usually use events for decorations(stupid me)

2 new blank events = 0.1%
3 new decorations = 0.1%

I can get 15 instead of 10?...hmm I think Ill be changing some stuff around

however 15 decorations use 1%? thats a bit high...hmm so much for creativity and uniqueness

Also I cant get the live data usage on my game

How much memory does a treasure chest event take? Im assuming its a fixed value, unlike the regular events

Last edited by JPS; 11-22-2006 at 10:28 AM.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #9
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS Innovations View Post
Also I cant get the live data usage on my game

How much memory does a treasure chest event take? Im assuming its a fixed value, unlike the regular events
You have to push select twice

Treasure chests take up a certain amount of data, but an event which does the same thing can potentially take up much more, because it can do so much more. I still need to check the DU for a chest...I can't remember how much it takes up offhand.

Last edited by Ωbright; 11-22-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #10
JPS
Juggernaaaauuuuttttt

JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.JPS is the second person ever to get the highest possible score in Pac-Man.

Ya I found out how to do it, I thought you had to press select twice while in playtest, not in the main menu
Old 11-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Phoenix
A noob once more

Phoenix is like having thanksgiving dinner every night of the year.Phoenix is like having thanksgiving dinner every night of the year.Phoenix is like having thanksgiving dinner every night of the year.

I always have trouble with data usage. On my up-and-coming (yes, it is coming) game, I'm making it a trilogy so I can have more space.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #12
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

I've already done so once via email, but wanted to again say THANKS for this, Obi! Great work!

2.1+ of the "memory" (data) to create a field map in insane, but at least understandable. What's not understandable (to me, at least) is that we have to blow 0.3 memory just to create an enemy party. I wanted to create 100 of those, and I was hoping for more before I saw the 100 limit--but there's no way I'm going to sacrifice 30% of my memory to do so!

I think I remember only one game (Paladin) EVER hit RPGM2's memory limit, though I guess RPGM3's fine graphics probably limited this kind of content potential. Well, I'll hazard the guess that if the series hits PS3, a lot of this problem will be alleviated, as most "memory consumption" probably won't scale up by the same amount that the available memory will.
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
DYRE
Victoly!

DYRE has a brilliant futureDYRE has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I think I remember only one game (Paladin) EVER hit RPGM2's memory limit, though I guess RPGM3's fine graphics probably limited this kind of content potential.
The quality of the graphics has no effect on the size of the files, the graphics are all stored on the disc.

Last edited by DYRE; 12-15-2006 at 03:55 PM.
DYRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #14
JPS
Juggernaaaauuuuttttt

Quote:
I think I remember only one game (Paladin) EVER hit RPGM2's memory limit, though I guess RPGM3's fine graphics probably limited this kind of content potential. Well, I'll hazard the guess that if the series hits PS3, a lot of this problem will be alleviated, as most "memory consumption" probably won't scale up by the same amount that the available memory will.
The graphics do not take up any memory whatsoever, All the information saves in that 2k memory is nothing but variables used to call a certain graphic or templates from the CD, the reason it uses so much memory is for the field alone it has to create a huge grid and assign each grid square a numeric value, which identifies its X/Y/Z/texture, in addition to that every event you place in the map the game has to store a variable for the graphic it uses, the events(or where the event points to), and an X, Y and a Z coordinate,

If you think about all the stuff that is stored for the field, you come to better grips as to why its so much

As another example, a blank town takes up 0.1%, if youre allowed 2,167kb(not sure if this is right or not), then the size of a town to be saved is 2,167 bytes, a town saves about 30 Variables initially, which is 30 bytes, inside the town description you have DESCRIPTION, MESSAGE IF NOT ALLOWED for the castle and MESSAGE IF NOT ALLOWED for the town, with all 3 using 386(roughly) characters each, that is 1,158 bytes, now, the FIELD MAP, OPEN LAND DESTINATION 1, 2, 3, and 4 uses 3 coordinates each(X, Y, and Z) for the destination, which uses another 15 bytes, so we've racked up 1,203 bytes, and the other 900 or so is used for the town grid, on a large map, 900 bytes can store base information for a 30x30 town, which if I am not mistaken is very close to the grid pattern of an actual town with all 4 lands open and a castle(To figure out the size of a grid square, look at the sand paths in the town, the width is one grid square)

At least from a programmers point of view this would be the easiest way to effectively reduce memory consumption

Last edited by JPS; 12-15-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

I could be mistaken, but I think that any variables and messages are included in that 0.1%. Things like adding events, NPC's, buildings, and decorations will add to the data size, but not those first things. Again, I could be wrong about that...I need to check.

While the graphics don't affect the data limit, they do take up a lot of data on the disk. PS3 disks will not only be Blueray, but will have a hard drive, so things like 'expansion packs' might become available.

Also, what Wavelength might have been saying is that models that are edited would take up much more data. That's one of the reasons why they aren't editable in 3, and why they might be in 4...even if it's not on the PS3...which it's looking like it won't be.

[EDIT] I also just remembered that dungeons add to the DU when you place them on a map, and towns do the same. I need to check and see just how much. When I change the original post, I'll give people a heads up.

Last edited by Ωbright; 12-15-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #16
JPS
Juggernaaaauuuuttttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obright View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think that any variables and messages are included in that 0.1%. Things like adding events, NPC's, buildings, and decorations will add to the data size, but not those first things. Again, I could be wrong about that...I need to check.
They are included in the .1%, that what the 30 initial variables are

magic-season-time-etc...

Name would also be considered a text input that would be a maximum 16 bytes, but the value is so small they just add it to the .1% as default 16 bytes(spaces also count as 1 byte each)
Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

I was talking about both the "X/Y/Z" intracacies of Field Maps (whereas 2's maps are "blockier") as well as the normal graphics. So thanks for clearing up how the latter works--I guess I was very mistaken about that. Regardless, if RPGM hits the PS3, I'm guessing (and hoping) that Memory Constraints won't be too stringent.
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #18
JPS
Juggernaaaauuuuttttt

Quote:
I was talking about both the "X/Y/Z" intracacies of Field Maps (whereas 2's maps are "blockier") as well as the normal graphics. So thanks for clearing up how the latter works--I guess I was very mistaken about that. Regardless, if RPGM hits the PS3, I'm guessing (and hoping) that Memory Constraints won't be too stringent.
I wouldnt imagine it'd be a problem at all, with the massive amount of memory the console holds(20gb regular, 60gb upgraded), considering a ps2 mb memory card holds 8mb, a regular ps3 console holds an equivalent of 2,500 ps2 memory cards, the upgraded version holds 7,500

Now I feel like I'm getting ripped off buying 2 ps2 memory cards for $40

Im sure the consoles memory is used for other features I'm just using the figure as a numerical source of the units memory

Last edited by JPS; 12-15-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #19
Perversion
Girl Licker

Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like

JPS: I own 6 PS2 memory cards right now...I need them all to store all my RPG Maker games.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #20
Stormy
i like pie

Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.Stormy finds Bantha steaks to be a delicious treat.

JPS: Did you factor in data types in your calculations? Boolean's take up ony one Bit, maybe a Byte if you include names or something. Text is a byte per character. RM3 only uses integers(I think) up to 99999, so thats only a handfull of bytes.

Just incase you forgot, no insult intended or anything. Yeah, the memory constraints are one of RM3's biggest failings.