RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > File Listings > articles > articles2

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Anything Goes Contest - Jester's Hunt Review

Jester's Hunt
Created by Draygone

Premise:
Influenced by Banjo Kazooie for the N64, Draygone made his own fetch-quest game. Thats really all there is to it.

Review:
I pretty much hate fetch-quest games. When I first played this game for the "Lets not make a crappy game, okay!" contest a few years back, I thought I'd hate it for sure. I didnt. It's got some fun tasks to do, some interesting puzzles, and some coding tricks that I never imagined possible with RPGM1. My appreciation for this game has only grown over time.

Originality: 20 points out of a possible 20
Jester's Hunt features a ton of fun, well-designed puzzles and unique events that arent to be found in any other games, along with a unique battle system as well, along with very unique boss encounters. When you look at everything available for RPG Maker, nothing is even remotely like it.

Design: 16 out of a possible 20
Using a system of item tracking in place of variables, Draygone is able to do a lot of things that most users would never dream possible in RPG Maker. The scripting in Jester's Hunt puts pretty much every other game to shame. Unfortunately, graphic-wise it's pretty boring to look at, with little attention paid to perspective (rooms that stay the same height as everything else even when you climb stairs, which should bring you higher up into the room or area), and the shelves you are supposed to put the trophies on dont stand out against the background well enough sometimes.

Writing: 17 out of a possible 20
Very few spelling errors, and the conversations are entertaining to read, although the constant assault on the fiourth wall can get a bit tiresome after a while. There's not a grand story offered here, but since that simply doesnt belong in a game like this. The writing and limited story are perfect for this type of game.

Gameplay: 18 out of a possible 20
The game stays interesting with all the differnet tasks it throws at you to collect the trophies. cutting down trees within a certain amount of steps, helping a monkey get across a dangerous path, collecting tokens to get new abilities to explore more of the worlds, it never really gets boring. The new battle system is simple, but fun. it's not a big part of the game, and is pretty much in there just to make exploration more interesting, and the areas seem more alive.

Overall Presentation: 18 out of 20
Fantastic. Elaborite scripting, large worlds with a lot to do, interesting dialogue, its all very good and largely outweights my gripes about the graphical design.

Final Score: 89
A great game for RPG Maker that stands the test of time. It's ingenuity is unlikely to be challenged any time soon.

Closed Thread