RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > File Listings > articles > articles2

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Anything Goes Contest - Hippy Hunt 2 Review

Hippy Hunt 2
Created by Bigfoot

Premise:
I have no idea. I dont know what the hell he was going for when he made this game. It's just insane. Bravo!

Review:
It starts with a group of friends, trained by Cloud from FF7 on a mission to defeat... you know what, I'm still not sure what the story was, so I'll just stop there. Talking about the game as a whole just confuses me, so I'll skip right to the part of the review where I can tackle things on by one.

Originality: 20 points out of a possible 20
As random as this game its, no one can dare say it's unoriginal. How many other games have Cloud getting crapped on and then brainwashed into doing evil by having sex with Aeris, all the while the rest of the cast is busy shooting ganados from RE4, and mascarading as walking trees. all this in the first 20 minutes or so. It gets so much.. randomer. The story (what I was able to figure out about it) barely makes any sense, and not much of a logical flow to it, but dammit, its obvious that it's just not supposed to. Of course, you always have the feeling you're missing something, which you likely are, since this is a sequel to a game that was never released

Design: 20 out of a possible 20
Dear Bigfoot: ZOOM OUT. The amount of detail in the custom graphics and environments is staggering, but sometimes you'll find yourself fighting a losing battle with the game's camera trying to see everything, or just your character. Hell, often the areas are so detailed that RPG Maker 2 slows to a crawl. It's easy to tell that he cared a lot when it came to crafting this masterpiece of insanity, but he clearly got carried away at times.

Writing: 12 out of a possible 20
The game is filled with unforgivable grammatical errors, along with rampant mis-spellings of extremely common words. Conversations are very hard to follow at times because of this. I cant understand how he could spend so much time with the graphics and layout of the game, and just rush through the writing. if he cleaned up the text and made the game a bit more understandable, we really could be looking at a true RPGM2 masterpiece.

Gameplay: 14 out of a possible 20
The areas of the game are fun to explore, and never boring. The default battle system is used, but spruced up with custom VFX to keep things interesting. There isnt much to the gameplay aside from walking and fighting, but its fun regardless. The game's personality helps a lot.

Overall Presentation: 17 out of 20
Top notch. Bigfoot never got lazy with anything. Everything in the game looks the best it can considering RPGM2's graphical abilities. The environments are spectacularly designed. All the custom VFX objects are immediately identifiable, no scratching your head and wondering "what the hell is that supposed to be". The writing holds it back, but the attention to detail everywhere else helps even everything out.

Final Score: 83
A great comedy with random insanity everywhere. Hard to follow whats going on, and little reason given for anything in the game, but tons of fun regardless.

Last edited by Valkysas; 03-26-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Closed Thread