RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > File Listings > articles > articles2

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Anything Goes Contest - The Faith of One Review

The Faith of One
Created by Dragaron

Premise:
A game firmly planted in christianity, it's taking a big risk. Real-religious games are ALWAYS terrible, and have no real appeal to those who dont a member of the religion they are targeted at. This is RPG Maker, where innovation and being different is what matters most, so can Dragaron deliver? Well, he made it to the finals, didnt he?

Review:
I'll get one thing out of the way right now. I'm an atheist. Thus, I'm likely not the target audience for this game. I like it anyways. There is no escaping the religious content of the game, but you just have to accept it as part of the game's world, just like Yevon in FFX, and Granas in Grandia 2. The religious background of the game actually helps it, rather than hinder. Dragaron has managed to make the plot interesting, and fun with that source material. for an example, just check out the first segment of the game that has you hunting down a half-fish-god-thing in the sewers.

Originality: 18 points out of a possible 20
The basic story (girl chosen by god to save the world) is something we've seen countless times. But story isnt everything. Gameplay matters too! and all sorts of cool gameplay additions were put in to make it a lot of fun to play. There are tons of unlockable gameplay features that are WORTH unlocking, and the PDA is really great too, allowing you to write your own notes, and play basic minigames. the game is full of these little touches that help flesh out the world more, and make it more fun to spend time in.

Design: 13 out of a possible 20
The PDA and unlockable stuff help a lot, but graphics-wise, it could have used some more time being fleshed out. the environments are very basic, and without any stand-out features, and minimal effort in giving the houses and dungeons personality. It's obvious that most of the development was spent in writing and scripting, just wish more was spent on the graphical design.

Writing: 19 out of a possible 20
The characters talk like real people, and do a good job of seeming alive. Character interaction is well executed as well, even with the occasional "throw-away" character that you wont see again. The game has a lot of pop-culture references that are well integrated into the game and don't see out of place, since there's alarm clocks, PDAs, and more modern luxuries in the game.

Gameplay: 14 out of a possible 20
With all the extra struff crammed into the game, I'm very dissapointed more wasnt done to the default battle system. With all the other customization in the game, I just cant figure out why the battles were virtually untouched. a major dissapointment.

Overall Presentation: 17 out of 20
Despite average graphical design, all the extra stuff in the game really makes it shine and stand out from the crowd.

Final Score: 81
Going into this game, I feared for the worst. I expected crap. I was certain it would be horrible like all real-religion games before it. I was proven wrong. This is one of the most fleshed out games made with RPG Maker 2, and a damn entertaining one to boot. If you havent played it yet, quit screwing around and download it and approach it with an open mind. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Closed Thread