RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > File Listings > articles > articles2

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Anything Goes Contest - Tabloid Review

TABLOID!
Created by Shawn Forbes

Premise:
A comedy movie created with RPG Maker 2, focusing on a group of tabloid journalists trying to land their first "real" story when they recieve word that an alien is prowling around a retirement home.

Review:
It's the first movie made with the RPG Maker 2 software, and it's an extremely original plot as well. Each member of the unique cast is entertaining, well animated, and likable. Shawn Forbes has a great mind for comedy and timing, as well as programming in what amounts to a very long cinema scene. Each object and character is very well animated within the confines of the software, and camera/scene changes are flawless. If you couldnt tell, I'm having a very hard time reviewing this because so much about is downright perfect. The writing is top notch, along with the directing and set/character design. I was never bored, and even watched it again right after it finished. The only thing I can criticze for is the fact that it's just too short, and ends right when things get even more interesting. This release is titled "Pilot Episode" so it seems there's more planned. I hope thats the case, since everyone that watches this is going to want to see how everything ends.

And now I have to score it.

Originality: 20 points out of a possible 20
There will never be anything else like it, and all future RPGM2 movies are likely doomed to dwell in it's shadow.

Design: 18 out of a possible 20
Since there's no way to play it, no thought had to go into making the areas playable, or interactive. However the few "sets" in Tabloid are extremely well done, and have tons of little details to help bring them alive. They definately look more "real" than environments in most actual RPGM2 games.

Writing: 19 out of a possible 20
Being a movie, it relies on the writing to keep the "player"s interest, rather than exciting or fun gameplay. Luckily, it's more than capable of doing so.

Gameplay: 2 out of a possible 20
Ouch. I hated having to put that for a score, but.. yeah. the contest review format was composed for games, and I cant leave a category out. There is no gameplay. It salvages 2 points for having a DVD-style menu.

Overall Presentation: 20 out of 20
Could not be better. Thats really all I can say. No missed opportunities here!

Final Score: 79

It definately sucks that I had to score it for gameplay. But of course, if I didnt score that category all sorts of crap would have made it into the top ranks. The highlight of it's gameplay score is that it managed to be double that of Legend, Edward's Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry 8 for RPGM1.

Last edited by Valkysas; 03-22-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Closed Thread