RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > Game Forums > Project Revolution

Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #21
Lausen
Call me Amazing

Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.
Re: Sovereign Guard (New project with VX Ace)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonorableRyu View Post
I replicated the error in a new project and I'm pretty sure I figured out what the problem is.

The symbol that's meant to be a minus sign is actually a dash. Wavelength must have copied and pasted the dash in his formulas as well.

– What you typed
- What you're supposed to type

Unfortunately the two symbols look almost exactly the same in some fonts, like the default font in Windows Notepad. For a minute there I thought I was going nuts while trying to troubleshoot this and finding that one line of code threw errors where another line of code that looked exactly the same did not. When I copied and pasted the two lines of code into Word the difference became obvious.

Just replace the all the – symbols with - symbols and your formula should work fine.
Bloody hell!!! How could such a small thing drive me crazy for so long!? I guess I really am starting to understand how to form battle formulas though. I made the change and the original formula worked like a charm. I really appreciate the help. How you noticed something so small is beyond me, but you are my hero, Ryu.

Wave, is there a benefit to having the individual parts to the formula in parentheses or is it just for easier reference?

Is there a way to change the actors transparency in battle through a formula? Or would I have to use common events? I would like to make it so when an actor is in the hidden state they fade like 50 percent.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #22
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like

Sorry I've been AWOL Lausen, but I'm glad to see you working on a new game! It looks great, and I don't think you overdid it with the images at all. I think you presented the game really well.

As for that coding bug... All I can say is, I'm filing that one away for future reference.
Ωbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #23
Lausen
Call me Amazing

Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.

Update:

So you guys have inspired me to start digging into the battle system a little deeper. Up until this point I had some faint ideas about how I wanted things, but nothing was really set in stone. Now that I have a substantial enough portion of the game done (A few hours of gameplay) I can start some early balancing. More importantly than that, I am figuring out some base mechanics that I kind of took for granted. Namely the state system in the game. I was just rocking the default stuff and never took the time to learn what can be done with it until now.

Obviously there will be some of the traditional ones like blind, confused, and poisoned. Those have direct impact, lowering stats, dealing periodic damage and such. But I also want to have ones that are more “setup” states. Things like Staggered and Knock-down.

For example, if a ranged enemy (One you need ranged magic or weapons to hit) have the Knock-down state, than any weapon can hit them.

Or if a thief is in the stealth state, than their normal attacks get a damage boost and reduces target rate.

If you guys have any other ideas for states I’d love to hear them. As of now I am think: Knock-down, Stagger, Stunned, Stealth, Bleeding, Burned, Poisoned, Blind, Confused.

I am looking for a few more that would fit in. Maybe a state for drawing enemy fire. Agro?

Obright, It's great to hear from you. No need to apologize about being AWOL. I am always in and out of the Pav without any consistency. :/ haha
Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #24
1ce
Stay informed

1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose

One status effect I've always wanted to include in a game is called Parch. When you have this status effect, fire spells do more damage to you, but the flipside is water spells heal you and remove the status effect. So it's something you could use on enemies to deal more damage, or use on your allies to offer a more supportive role.

That's my two cents. Good to see you back in the game.
1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:23 AM   #25
Lausen
Call me Amazing

That's a pretty interesting idea you have there. I may have to play around with it.

I came up with a skill called Burning Speed. It greatly increases your speed, but inflicts the burning state. You'll get more turns, but that also means more burn damage. I'm thinking I will make a skill a few levels later called Fire Slash. But if you are in the burn state it will do increased damage. Kind of a give and take sort of thing.

And I am greatly considering dropping TP use and going with skill cool downs. What do you guys think about that? Do you prefer cool downs for skills or would you rather have the traditional style. Maybe I could use cool down skills only on a specific class?