RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > Submissions > RPG Maker XP & VX Games and Demos

Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
sbethune81
Pavilionite

sbethune81 is on a distinguished road
Canvas - A Zeldaish RPG filled with puzzles and secrets. (unencrypted w/ full walkthr

Canvas

This is a game for those who love to explore, experiment, and discover. Welcome.

Story:

You have seen and done things that were
never supposed to be, and I have come
here to offer you a choice.

You can try and go back to your lives as
they were, fighting the Knights and
relieving people of their possessions...

...or you can help me.

Help me make sure that what happened to
you doesn't happen to anyone else ever
again.

Arrym is a Wraith, one of an elite band of thieves notorious for taking on big jobs. He has all the talent in the world, but what little motivation he once had has all but dried up.

Branak has the opposite problem. He is a Wisp, a newly inducted member of the guild, with seemingly misplaced dreams of greatness. He is determined to prove himself in the eyes of his superiors and take his place among the Wraiths.

They are partners.

In the midst of completing a job and evading their sworn enemies, the Knights of the Thorn, they are presented with a bigger job. Much bigger...and far more noble than they would typically agree to.

Battle System:

Almost everything on-map in Canvas is evented, including the battle system. Use an assortment of pixel-based attacks and abilities to dispatch your enemies in a variety of ways. You can anger them with arrows, stun them with bombs, throw them into each other with gusts of wind, and more! Each on-map enemy was carefully crafted with its own behavior, movement style, and methods of attack to provide the player with challenging and often thought-provoking encounters. Your on-map weapon will change appearance based on the weapon you have equipped.

Features:

Character swapping - each with their own unique "tool" and advantage/disadvantages when it comes to combat (Weapon range, attack speed, etc.)

A variety of shared tools/abilities acquired throughout the game, useful for combat and puzzle solving.

Item crafting

Area maps

Bestiary

Glossary

Characters grow based on your AP allocation

A free-jump system that works hand in hand with my...

Robust elevation system - Ties in with projectiles, tools, line of sight, jumping, etc.

Puzzles aplenty! - You will need to experiment with your tools, and then come up with new and creative ways use and combine them.

Mini-games galore! - As you explore the world of Canvas, you will discover many evented mini-games to add variety to the gameplay. They are all fully-interactive game systems as opposed to pass/fail based on a number or stat systems.

Lockpicking (2 versions)
Mining
Fishing
Pickpocketing
Blacksmithing
Persuasion

Screenshots:

Demo:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/5517/

Credits:

Scripts:

Yanfly
Mithran
Yami
Syvkal
Ventwig
Nicke
Casper Gaming
Zerbu
Modern Algebra
Mr. Bubble
Tsukihime
Vlue
TDS
SirBilly
Kread-Ex
Moghunter
Galv

Graphics:

Closet
Celianna
Casper Gaming
Aindra
Companion Wulf
Mack
Sword

Music/Sound Effects:

Enterbrain
Ludovico Einaudi
Square Enix

If you see something in the game that wasn't credited here, please let me know.

You might also like my first game, Manifest, which can be found here:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/3694/

Last edited by sbethune81; 07-30-2017 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Game completed!
sbethune81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.
Re: Canvas (VXA Demo)

It sounds like you've done a lot of the things I've dreamed of doing, from creating an action battle system to attempting to float a game on exploration.

I can't wait to try it out. This is near the top of my to-do list once I finish going stark raving mad from the Indie Game contest.

I hope you decide to stick around and talk with us in the forums! It would be a real shame if you submitted your games and then took off; the forum could definitely use serious creators like you and hopefully we can teach you a thing or two as well Go ahead and start out with a post in the New Member Lobby and introduce yourself!

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
sbethune81
Pavilionite

Thank you very much for the interest and kind words, Wavelength. I hope you get the chance to try Canvas out. If you have any questions, feedback, or get stuck, please don't hesitate to let me know. Good luck with the contest!

Last edited by sbethune81; 06-24-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

I'm completely stuck in the Forest - a fireweed and a sealed gate that I can't get past, and (after wandering every room in the Forest three times), no clear way forward. This kind of "I'm stuck" moment almost seems like an inevitability for a game like this, but it's a shame I have no way to get a hint about how to proceed, because I would like to play more.

Here are the thoughts I've written down throughout playing Canvas:

• Very evocative and thematic opening - almost seems to mark a philosophy for the game.
  • Explain that "tajiri" is the currency - I thought it was an item at first! Also, would help to say how much the player got from the chests. This can be done by storing it in a variable first.
  • Jumping onto spikes (e.g. if three are in a line and you jump over the first onto the second) doesn't do any damage.
  • There's an invisible event with a "..." Balloon in the first Spider room
  • I like the turn/move/jump mechanics - feels about right.
  • Awareness Aura is a very cool idea - makes the line-of-sight rules transparent rather than leaving the player wondering whether/why they were spotted.
  • Second Sight (the limited view radius) is an okay game mechanic, but having to turn it on each time is annoying. Why not just automatically give the player a limited field of view rather than making them go through three or four button presses to get it? This would also fix the weird idiosyncracy where you can't check your map while using Second Sight.
  • I managed to "climb the wall" to what should be an unwalkable area in the spider room by holding up as I walked into the middle door, then jumping. Was able to do the same in the first lock-pick room, this time without a door. I think it's because the spider webs and doors are walkable.
  • More troubling, I managed to encounter a game-breaking glitch when this (accidentally) happened next to a door in the room with three knights. One of the knights "pinned me" into a wall next to a door, and nothing (including attacking the knight, jumping, jumping away from the knight before he could follow me, or turning into the frog) could get me back to solid ground. I had no choice but to load the last save file. SCREENSHOT IS BELOW.
  • A few minutes into the next try after loading this save file, I defeated the spider in the dark room, and somehow ended up permanently locking my character into an extremely slow move speed (about one tenth of the normal movement speed - possibly RPG Maker's "Speed 1 - 8x slower"). Jumping worked fine, but did not fix the problem. Walking into spikes DID fix the problem. (So remember, kids, just walk into spikes and all your problems will be solved!) So I'm thinking this was the result of some kind of forced move route. This probably isn't anything you did wrong as much as it is just a bug in the way RPG Maker handles forced movement, but look out for this bug. If you can reproduce it easily, it might be worthwhile to include parallel process events to occasionally return the player to their normal speed or something.
  • In the room with four slimes and two switches, I couldn't open the door until I laid a bomb between the switches. That gave me the "you did it" chime and the door opened. This didn't make any sense to me! Were the switches "holding back the door" and you simply need to break them? Edit: OK, I think I get it - both switches needed to be hit at the same time. Still doesn't feel particularly intuitive.
  • Overall, though, clever puzzles with intuitive solutions.
  • The pacing felt too slow, between having lots of dialogue, a slow player speed, lots of rooms in dungeons, etc. The sense of wanting to know what comes next, and the game itself, are compelling enough to solider on through the inconveniences, which is very much a compliment - but it's all a slower burn than it really should be.
  • Arrym's quick knife attack could combo enemies as soon as they walk back into a tile, whereas Branak's club had a hard time doing so. I do like that the different attacks have different timing windows, but here, it just made me use Arrym whenever I didn't need Branak's bomb.
  • The "Mastermind" minigame for lockpicking is very cool. You could easily change the "feedback" numbers to icons that would be less confusing as well as more atmospheric.
  • Sneaking up behind enemies' backs to one-shot them feels very satisfying; it's a great mechanic. It felt much easier to do with Arrym.
  • Hellhound boss was OK; I totally understand the problems in creating a really active one and making it feel right. But I had to whack him like 30 times, and wasn't sure whether I was missing a gimmick or whether he simply had a boatload of HP (which seems to have been the case). Make it clearer to the player that they're not doing anything wrong.
  • Mayor Hewbriss, so crass, so awesome.
  • The Journal system is pretty helpful. Did you create this system, or get it from a script somewhere? (And if so, where? I'd like to add something similar to my game!)
  • Pickpocket minigame is neat in concept. I think it would be more challenging if the treasure moved around. Buttons are way too dark - very hard to distinguish from the background.
  • I like the way talking to people can reveal not only rumors but also new locations for your map. It definitely provides a nice little sense of wanderlust.
  • The mom with three kids that constantly devour their food was one of my favorite NPC houses ever in a video game. Awesome touch.
  • Overall, based on the number of rumors to find, minigames to play, etc., I get the sense that towns will be pretty fun to explore in your game.
  • Great scene by the waterfall in the forest. Really got a good sense for the characters, and felt engaged.
  • Room with the slimes and bats in the forest: Wow! Quite an action-packed setup. I think your action elements work best in rooms like this.
  • I don't like having the Flux Skill and the utility tools (like Map and Awareness Aura) on the same button. Too many times, I accidentally used a Flux skill and lost Flux unnecessarily.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
sbethune81
Pavilionite

Wow. That was fantastic feedback. Thank you very much. I love when players take the time to go into that much detail, especially with bug reports. I'll reply in more detail later, but I've made a few changes based on your feedback.
* Changed the background for pickpocketing so you can see the buttons better
* I loved the idea of having the treasure in pickpocketing move around. Done.
* I too prefer playing as Arrym at the start because of his quicker attack. Branak's strength lies in being able to kill enemies in one shot earlier than Arrym. When his strength is high enough it might be worth changing.
* I modified Modern Algebra's quest script for my journal. I can give you a link if needed.

If you're still interested in continuing on, I'd be happy to help you out. There isn't much left of the demo after the point you're at...just let me know. Thank you again. I loved your feedback.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:16 AM   #6
sbethune81
Pavilionite

Work has been slow, but I've managed to finish the final version of the Canvas demo in time for the Release Something XIII event on rpgmaker.net. After this will come the complete game. The demo has gone from 2 playable dungeons to 4 and includes new gadgets, minigames, and sidequests as well. Based on player feedback, I've added/modified a few features and included a walkthrough with the download for those who get stuck along the way. The demo is also now unencrypted for those who want to poke around. Please enjoy!
Old 07-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
sbethune81
Pavilionite

Re: Canvas (VXA unencrypted demo w/walkthrough - updated 3/14/15)

Canvas is complete! Five years and two children later, I have finished my second game. The download has been updated (the link in the original post will take you there). The game should last around 15 hours or so depending on a few factors including puzzles and sidequests. I have included a full walkthrough and complete item guide with the download. If you need more detailed help than the walkthrough gives, please don't hesitate to ask. I love every kind of feedback, especially bug reports if you find any. Thank you very much to those who take the time to download Canvas and give it a shot.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Re: Canvas - A Zeldaish RPG filled with puzzles and secrets. (unencrypted w/ full wal

Hello! Welcome back after all this time and after introducing the bundles of joy to your life - and congratulations on finishing Canvas!! That's really quite an accomplishment, and something you should be proud of.

Once you've gotten any important enhancements/bugs worked out from the first few months of people playing your game (which can come fast or very slow - even some really deserving games end up not finding as big an audience as you'd expect), put your game down completely for a few months, and then come back and play it from start to finish. You'll be amazed at how clever some of the stuff you created was, and you'll also think of things that you can't believe you missed during development.

I remember playing the demo of this and I had a quite nice time with it. My plate is too full to take on another RPG this moment, but in the future I definitely want to come back around to your game and play the whole thing.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
sbethune81
Pavilionite

Re: Canvas - A Zeldaish RPG filled with puzzles and secrets. (unencrypted w/ full wal

Believe it or not, I was in the process of messaging you over on rpgmakerweb to let you know about the finished game. I wasn't sure how active you still were on this site, but I came here to copy this thread link to help remind you of the demo when I saw your recent post. Crazy. I hope you get a chance to play through it someday. Let me know if you do. Thanks!