RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > Front Desk > News Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
SEVENTEEN YEARS

Seventeen years ago today, RPG Maker was released for the PlayStation. This made me think it'd be a good time to reflect back on that.

Did you ever think about making a game, but didn't? If so, what stopped you, would you ever go back and revisit that old idea from ages ago?

If you did make a game, what's your proudest achievement? What's your favorite project that you worked on? Do you have a favorite Maker?

I'd like for us to think back and share the answers to these questions, just to reflect on our time with RPG Maker, and the community.

Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor
Re: SEVENTEEN YEARS

RPGM1 will always be my favorite (and, honestly, probably the best RPGM of them all).

I had two really good epic projects (Chimpy's TV Adventure + Life Worth Living) that I never got to complete because of their scope.

Chimpy was a banjo-kazoo clone that took you through different TV shows. (And coincidentally the first world was a NY City clone...)

Life Worth basically started as a Harvest Moon clone, but because I didn't want to leave out ideas that didn't fit the farming sim model, it ended up being very wide in scope both of what you could do and where you could do it.

My favorite RPGM1 game I ever played was Acre-Age. Very tight and well put together.

RPGM2 was great for its versatility, but it was too complicated for my younger self to handle effectively. RPGM3 was my least favorite. Way too limited, and the 3D graphics just never clicked for me.

RPGM on PC has always interested me (I own almost all the US releases) but I've never worked on a project. GameMaker always worked better for me in that domain, and it allowed me to step outside of the RPG category.

As recently as May, I've been developing a grand adventure based on the French-Indian war (classic JRPG) for RPGM MV. I'd really like to get into it (especially considering the customization readily available nowadays).

All in all, what a great game. Cheers.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

YesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasure
Thumbs up Re: SEVENTEEN YEARS

Wow, I can't believe it's been that long!

I've made a few games and "movies" for RM1 and still tinker with it from time to time.
It's entirely possible that I might update one of my games... again.

Defenders Of Light is the game I'm most proud of.
As for games created by others: Fu-Fu the Acid Trip Bunny and Jester's Hunt are my favorites.

My favorite RPG Maker is probably RM1 because it's fairly straightforward and easy to use.
Not to mention Anime Maker is great for sprites and intro screens.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.

I never finished a project on RPGM1 but probably started 100. I'm sure most of them were total garbage, but my favorite idea was Infinus. It was supposed to be a kind of single-player MMO with lots of story threads. I actually got a lot of work on it done before something or other made me lose interest.

Crazy to think that it's been 17 years though.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:33 AM   #5
Sunstorm93
Living think-ception

Sunstorm93 is a fairly shiny person.
Smile Re: SEVENTEEN YEARS

I've never actually had RPGM1 but there's tons of relatable instances thinking on it. I've always wanted to work on something with branching paths- whether it be in the player's move set or story. However I never get to finish said projects: usually due to loss of interest over time or an accidental deletion. Still holding out hope to finish a game like that one day- but I'm really happy we have this tool to make things with!

Actually, a lot of what drives me to finish my own RPGM 2 or 3 projects is seeing other people's work on other softwares through any of the youtube lets players- the community here is really helpful too!

Last edited by Sunstorm93; 10-03-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Sunstorm93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

I never finished a game, but I still fondly remember how terrible my RPGM1 game, JUGGALO NATION, was going to be. It actually ended up being a little prophetic since it included the government trying to shut down ICP and their followers for being a gang. I was mostly working on it as a way to include all my friends in the game.

I probably had only like 30 hours into it, with two towns and designs on how to make Detroit in a fantasy game, and had barely begun to figure out how the script pages worked and variables and everything else.

And I had a ton of fun creating spells for that game.

The only thing I ever completed was a short film about Prohibition I did for my American History class, which ended up being a series of messages and a police officer discovering a speakeasy, then being bribed to keep it quiet. It was like maybe three minutes long at best.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.

I have finished two games:

* The first was an RPGM1 Jester's Hunt, a Banjo-Kazooie clone with 6 worlds plus the hub world, and many collectibles to find. I created it all the way back in 2003, and while the game was certainly an accomplishment, I feel like the game could be a whole lot better. And I know I could do it, too, even if I used RPGM1 again. I just can't find the time or motivation.

* The second game was an RPGM3 game called EVIL: THE RIDICULOUSLY LONG-NAMED GAME CREATED BY DRAYGONE OF GREAT DRAGON GAMING IN AN ATTEMPT TO WIN THE RPG MAKER PAVILION'S COMPELTE GARBAGE CONTEST. What's funny is that the game wound up so crappy, that an accidental glitch prevented you from leaving the first map of the game. =P

My biggest project was an RPGM1 game called Slayers' Reign. In it, you played as a group of characters trying to save dragons from dragon slayers. The game was meant to be my magnum opus, but I never finished more than a few hours of gameplay. Part of the problem is that I was never satisfied with the progress I made, and I kept going back and redoing things. Eventually, the game was cancelled when I altered the plot so much that there was a gap in the story that I couldn't figure out how to fill, without it being filler.

My favorite RPG Maker game is The Spiteful Dead on RPGM1. The game is a survival-horror RPG. It's a very wordy game, with a lot of black cutscenes, but the story is big and epic, a lot of effort was put into the environments, I liked the gun and magic systems, and the game had some really fun minigames. If only the final battle made sense, and the game didn't end in a cliffhanger.

My favorite RPG Maker is RPG Tsukuru 4. Why couldn't it have been localized???
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."
Draygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
LichLair
Pavilionite

LichLair is not a cheese-based foodLichLair is not a cheese-based food

I made Lich Lair and only Lich Lair. I still think about making a sequel on the same RPGM1 from time to time. I've even attempted a remake on 7 Ace, but fell off due to other projects.

Last edited by LichLair; 10-05-2017 at 08:55 AM.
LichLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygone View Post
My favorite RPG Maker game is The Spiteful Dead on RPGM1. The game is a survival-horror RPG. It's a very wordy game, with a lot of black cutscenes, but the story is big and epic, a lot of effort was put into the environments, I liked the gun and magic systems, and the game had some really fun minigames. If only the final battle made sense, and the game didn't end in a cliffhanger.
I highly recommend that this game be played by everyone here. Seriously. It is the best entry in RPGM1-made games, IMO as well as Draygone's.

Xisthruos shows me progress of his current project from time to time, and it's a real thing of beauty.