RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker Workshop > RPG Maker VX

Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Seraph
~Finding My Way~

Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!
Importing music, copyright infringment?

If I were to import music (from albums) I bought and paid for in to an rpgm project, and uploaded it, would that be breaking any laws? I would not be making money off anything, obviously. But it would be sharing copyrighted material, yes?
I know people often use music from other video games as well as visual art, as in character sprites and tilesets, etc. from video games. Would that not qualify as infringement?

I feel like it probably would.

But then again, maybe not.

Insight on this would be helpful and appreciated.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.
Re: Importing music, copyright infringment?

You can't use the work of someone else without permission. That said, there's a 99.999999999% chance that the artists in question will never learn about your project or how is features their music, so you're most likely in the clear.

But there's other factors you should consider beyond that. For one, including outside music will make the file size of your game grow significantly, and that's only going to help to turn potential players off. And if we're talking about video game music, then it's just tacky. If you, say, put music from Final Fantasy 13 into your game, that will literally only hurt you. No one is going to say "whoa, this guy is using music from FF13, I gotta play this game!", they're going to say "why is this bozo using music from some other game is his crap game?".

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Seraph
~Finding My Way~

Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!Seraph plays that funky music, white boy!

I have an idea for a silly little game, for a while now, that will use rock and metal as the soundtrack. The premise of the game is a rock/metal based rpg (which I'm sure sounds equally lame) where you are trying to form a band, but start off musically inept, and you have to learn your chops along the way. It takes you on a journey through the history of rock to modern day, set in a quasi-fantasy-modern day rpg setting, meeting notable musicians (or their likenesses) and full of as many musical easter eggs and facts as I can muster. As an example, fighting DIO while a Rainbow tune is the battle bgm, (powerful lame, I know).

So no, I wont be importing any FF or Zelda music in to my game.

Yeah, I didn't think about file size tho.

I'm more worried about getting in **** if I were to upload it anywhere, like here, or anywhere else. If I were, then there's no point in even continuing on the project since the entire premise is the music.

Thanks.

Last edited by Seraph; 11-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

If it's just a fun little non-cmmercial project, I say go for it.

Very unlikely the original copyright holders will find it, and if they do, I assume a cease-and-desist request is the most severe thing you'd get.

But, if the game is about making your own music, why not figure out some way to give the player a way to do just that?

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Seraph
~Finding My Way~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
But, if the game is about making your own music, why not figure out some way to give the player a way to do just that?
I'm sure I probably can and may do it. I was already thinking about this a little. Good idea.

But I also want to be able to showcase music by the artists that I'll be featuring in my game, without getting in ****. So far it seems like that won't be an issue.

Would the Pav allow it? It would mean sharing files, and I know there is a strict anti-piracy policy here. Would this qualify or no?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like

You could still submit it, because due to the size of PC RPGM games, they're all off-site links at places like mediafire and the like.

Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Seraph
~Finding My Way~

Cool
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.

Oh, that's cool then. Go for it.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
1ce
Stay informed

1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose1ce is too punk to lose

As long as you're not making money off it, then it's fine.

I must agree with Ryner's comment on how lame it is to hear someone else's music in a game. But whatever floats your boat!
1ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
orius
Octagon Games

orius is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.orius is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.orius is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.orius is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.orius is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.orius is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.orius is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.

I'd say to stay safe, look for free use music somewhere instead, then you don't have to worry at all. Someting like say music tracks from a site like Newgrounds or something. Plus since it's not from another game, the sound won't clash as much to your players.

orius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Seraph
~Finding My Way~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ce View Post
I must agree with Ryner's comment on how lame it is to hear someone else's music in a game. But whatever floats your boat!
I guess, but if I were to use the RTP music it would be just as lame, wouldn't it? Because it's the same music everyone else has... And it's kind of necessary to use the music by the artists I want because it fits the entire concept. Without it, well it just wouldn't work really.
And I'm not really worried about lame anyway. It's a lame concept to begin with and the odds of someone actually playing it are quite slim. I'm making it for me. If I like it enough, I want to know that I'm able to upload it safely.

Thanks for your input as well.

Last edited by Seraph; 11-20-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Deeth Irteen
Darkness is the truth

Deeth Irteen doesn't fear the reaperDeeth Irteen doesn't fear the reaperDeeth Irteen doesn't fear the reaperDeeth Irteen doesn't fear the reaperDeeth Irteen doesn't fear the reaperDeeth Irteen doesn't fear the reaperDeeth Irteen doesn't fear the reaper

I had used a bunch of Final Fantasy tracks in the demo of my Middle Story game. I did so because 1) The game was suppossed to be a huge send-off/homage/parody of the Final Fantasy series, and 2) Nobuo Uematsu is a GOD among composers, and matching his music to certain events in my demo seemed like a good idea to set the mood of the game. And I had used multiple tracks from multiple games for variety.

The demo is only 2-3 hours long, and I never intended to sell it: It was a love-letter/fan-boy project only.

Quote:
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
-Walt Disney
Deeth Irteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Seraph
~Finding My Way~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeth Irteen View Post
a love-letter/fan-boy project.
Ya I suppose that's what my game would be. An homage to rock & roll and heavy metal.

Last edited by Seraph; 11-20-2012 at 03:01 PM.