RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > Game Forums > Telephasic Workshop

Old 11-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Kit Carruthers
come on die young

Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.
My MV game "Messiah."

This is in pre-development, so I have no screenshots or gameplay samples yet. I do have some of the soundtrack done, though. Also this is really just the bones of the story. Once I start writing ideas tend to fall into place so the finished product will have many more interesting points than are expressed here.

MESSIAH

Story
Dai is an imperial officer for the highly advanced planet of Eran. They frequently groom undeveloped planets into powerful allies, hidden behind the scenes, never revealing to the undeveloped planets that they are not alone in the universe. Dai is accidentally discovered using his advanced technology, and the locals of Clypset declare him their deity. Dai sees an opportunity and intentionally enacts the sacred prophecy of Clypset. Whether or not he was truly fulfilling the prophecy or just pretending to is up for debate. Dai gets addicted to the feeling and decides to get himself declared a deity on a number of other undeveloped planets. He starts to believe he was sent by God to do this. Some in the order of Eran support him and feel he is working for the greater good, and others wish to stop him and feel that he is ultimately doing harm and only trying to feed his ego. Dai's former commanding officer, Gaetan, decides to make it his project to stop him.

Features
- A number of planets to explore, both advanced and undeveloped.
- A number of different classes of fighter. Every planet has it's own set of classes.
- An original soundtrack. This I won't have to hire anybody for, I can do it myself.
- Original graphics. I'm hoping to hire somebody to do hand drawn graphics.
- Custom battle system.
- Custom menu system.

Soundtrack
"Galaxy Map..."
https://soundcloud.com/kit_carruthers/galaxy-map

"Eran World Map..."
https://soundcloud.com/kit_carruthers/eran-world-map

"Ice Cave..."
https://soundcloud.com/kit_carruthers/ice-cave

"Midevil City..."
https://soundcloud.com/kit_carruther...city-1-midevil

Yes, the whole tone of the game will be very bleak and moody, as you can see from the soundtrack.

Last edited by Kit Carruthers; 11-14-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Kit Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.
Re: My MV game "Messiah."

I just turned on the Eran World Map theme, and that is some damn fine work.

Once I get another project out of the way(electric assist pedal velomobile), I plan to actually finish a song myself for an in-progress game.

Anyhow, I like the concept. It seems inspired by the Star Ocean games. I imagine that the scale will be fairly huge. At least 4 planets are probably needed. Put 3 to 5 cities per planet as well as dungeons, shops, events and the like, and it starts to get big, fast.

I think studying Chrono Trigger would give you a great guide with regard to how to set the planets up and make them seem filled-out and alive. It had the world of 5 of its 7 time periods explorable with plenty of content on each. Rogue Galaxy for the PS2 is also something to look at for clues on a viable structure that is expansive and wide in scope, but doesn't get too big for one person to create.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
Kit Carruthers
come on die young

Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.Kit Carruthers is a full-fledged Tank Paratrooper.

Thanks.

If you want to make music for your games I would highly recommend Fruity Loops. It can be a little intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it it's very user friendly. I can help you out with a few tips if you want.

If it was inspired by Star Ocean it was subconsciously. I did note as soon as I thought of it that it felt like the beginning of Star Ocean 2. Haven't tried any of the other Star Oceans, though I've been meaning to.

Yeah I'm thinking four or five planets. I actually thought of Chrono Trigger too when I thought of how I was going to do the world maps.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Stormy
i like pie

Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.

This concept sound really cool, and the soundtrack work is excellent.

The ideas remind me just a bit of Secret of Evermore, which I've started playing again recently.

I look forward to reading more about this game.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

The concept is very cool! I love the setting and the initial setup for how misunderstandings turn into epic goals.

One thing I would caution you about is that the character you are setting up, as I understand your description, is more of an egotistical/delusional anti-villain than he is any sort of hero. This works wonderfully in a book or movie where the audience is a passive observer. It can be trickier in a game where the audience (player) is an active participant playing as the main character, because you are asking the player to "be" someone that they likely don't believe in, and someone they may not want to help.

This doesn't mean your concept cannot work as a video game; it just means you have to think especially hard about how you want to do it. Maybe the player alternately plays both Dai and Gaetan, from their own perspectives, as they play their game of cat and mouse. Or maybe Dai is just supremely likable, and most players will be charmed enough that they want to help or be him, despite knowing what he's doing is wrong (Catch Me If You Can was so good at this).

What kind of graphics are you looking to commission? Maps? Full tilesets?
Scene backgrounds? GUI/HUD art? Character busts? Battle sprites? Most artists specialize in just a couple of things. In my work on timeblazer I've commissioned people to do most of the above, so I could probably refer you to some good artists that are used to working in RPG Maker, if you'd like.

But since graphics are one of the most expensive things to commission, I'd also recommend that you complete at least the first third of your game (using placeholder graphics and without any custom battle system/menus that you can't program yourself or find in a public plugin) to make sure that you're up for the long haul before you spend a few thousand dollars (not to mention a lot more time doing review, management, and implementation for your artists) making your game look as good as your dreams.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
Kit Carruthers
come on die young

Thanks guys.

Oh Dai is going to be likable, he has to be, I'm just hoping for the kind of likeable that makes you hate yourself for liking him. 'Cause, like, it's dark.

I want everything to be a custom graphic, so yeah it'll probably be one person for hand drawn backgrounds and another for pixel art characters. Yeah it's going to be pretty pricey, hopefully by the time I'm ready for it I'll have work in web design. Yeah doing a lot of it with placeholder graphics is probably a good idea, thanks.

Following both Dai and Gaetan is an interesting idea. I'll think about it, thanks.

Now I'm curious to play this Secret of Evermore, I'll have to look into it.

Last edited by Kit Carruthers; 11-16-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Kit Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote