RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Free Forum

View Poll Results: Best currency name for a sci-fi story?
Unicreds! (nickname: yunis) 6 66.67%
All-Credits! (nickname: aces) 2 22.22%
Pie! (insert your own suggestion here) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.
Random Money-Related Poll!

I would put this in Imaginari, since it's related to my story in progress, but I actually need people to see it. Trying out a couple of suggestions from readers about a good currency name to avoid the old 'credits' trope.

Last edited by Hrafn; 10-30-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Hrafn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Brightness
The Revolutionary Eon

Brightness is a fairly shiny person.
Re: Random Money-Related Poll!

Unicreds sounds like a currency for the whole galaxy! It's awesome!
Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

I voted All-Credits, but because I liked the shorthand name "Aces" more than the actual name.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
Redeye
You wasted time with this

Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.

What even started the whole "Universal Sci-fi Currency = 'Credits'" trope, anyways?

I can't think up anything better, though, so I might go with Unicreds.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
One-Eyed Dragon of Oshu

RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is a glorious beacon of light

I like pie!
RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
What even started the whole "Universal Sci-fi Currency = 'Credits'" trope, anyways?
A lot of the galactic-scale science fiction authors were heavily borrowing from each other back in the 1940s to the 1960s in a kind of understood cooperative terminology as they progressed. Asimov, Heinlein, Dick, Clarke, Herbert, Bester, etc. A lot of them were writing similar enough stories that it simply made sense to either imply shared universe or in some cases outright state it, so that "Credits" and "Jaunt technology" and other terminology just became standard tropes of the genre because they were being used so frequently by the popular authors.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

I don't have an answer for you, but maybe a writing prompt.

A lot of terms for money have historical origins. Dollar is a bastardized version of a German word that was used for silver coins. Yen and Yuan roughly translate to round (as in round coin). Sterling may come from a term for a certain type of silver coin the Normans who conquered England used, etc.

Maybe come up with some sort of back story and go from there.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
A lot of the galactic-scale science fiction authors were heavily borrowing from each other back in the 1940s to the 1960s in a kind of understood cooperative terminology as they progressed. Asimov, Heinlein, Dick, Clarke, Herbert, Bester, etc. A lot of them were writing similar enough stories that it simply made sense to either imply shared universe or in some cases outright state it, so that "Credits" and "Jaunt technology" and other terminology just became standard tropes of the genre because they were being used so frequently by the popular authors.
Some of Frederick Pohl's stories were an exception to that.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #9
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
Some of Frederick Pohl's stories were an exception to that.
I actually haven't read Frederik Pohl yet! He's somewhere down the line on my old-school fantasy & science fiction "to read" list. I can't take much of the old school fiction except in short bursts because so much of it has really unfortunate **** in it that makes it difficult to read without being disgusted.

I like to read them, though, because it's great to see the evolution of the genres even if there's a lot of ugly stuff contained within.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #10
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMakerConsoleFan101 View Post
I like pie!
That reminds me of an old saying: "Like pie or go to hell!" Its written in the bible... don't check.

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #11
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
I actually haven't read Frederik Pohl yet! He's somewhere down the line on my old-school fantasy & science fiction "to read" list. I can't take much of the old school fiction except in short bursts because so much of it has really unfortunate **** in it that makes it difficult to read without being disgusted.

I like to read them, though, because it's great to see the evolution of the genres even if there's a lot of ugly stuff contained within.
I recommend "The Space Merchants" and the sequel "The Merchant's War". The characters use American dollars for currency.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #12
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
One-Eyed Dragon of Oshu

RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
That reminds me of an old saying: "Like pie or go to hell!" Its written in the bible... don't check.
My family has 2 Bibles so I can check if this is real (I know it isn't but it's funny).
RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.

Thanks for the prompt, Sampson, but I am not writing anything else but this for the next few months. I should hopefully finish before the January 31st contest deadline, but I cannot pretend it won’t be close. I will do an exact count tonight or tomorrow to see how I did against my end of October goal of 80,000 words written and 40,000 coded, but that still leaves me needing at least 20k more on paper and 60k more in code to actually qualify. And more words than that will likely be needed to cover the endings and such.

I had American dollars on my original poll on the site doing the contest, but the other two options were beating it if memory serves. And since America itself has merged with Canada, and both fell under the sway of the Global Peace Accord, straight bucks never felt quite right.

Any thoughts for a currency name that kept the aces shorthand but worked better as a more official name? I too like aces but All-Credits is not the best.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
Stormy
i like pie

Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.

AmeriCanadian Economy Credits
American-Canadian Energy Shares

Last edited by Stormy; 10-31-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:21 PM   #15
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

You could try SDR, short for Special Drawing Rights. It's actually a proposed currency in our world by interests deliberately attempting to engineer a global collapse of fiat currencies.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 11-01-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: I should stop posting drunk
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
Amputated Toe

Money is meaningless. In ten years you’ll buy shotgun shells with sandwiches and a crockpot of beans will qualify as a retirement fund.