RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Pavilion's Greatest Hits > Game Forum Archives > Castle Umbra

Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Dusk Raven
Shadow

Dusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphins
Game-Making Issues (rant)

I’ve run into a dilemma concerning my RPGM projects. I have two main projects I have in mind, one for RPGM 3, and one for XP (I’ll call them 3 and XP for the rest of this post). Both are in the same plotline. Neither is going very well.

3 has been going for some time, and is the more likely to be finished before the deadline. I’m very familiar with the RPGM3 software. The problems with this project is that I’m having trouble finding time for working on it.

I think the potential for XP is much greater than 3. The plot, I think, is better (by my standards, anyway), with certainly more importance to the plotline as a whole. I can accomplish a lot more with the software, more of what I want it to be. And since it’s on the computer, I can work on it as I please. Of course, I know very little about the software, and I’d be basically starting from scratch. I’d also have to take some time to learn skills like creating custom sprites (I want to use some of my own, and since the art style will likely clash, I may need to make sprites for everything in the game).

The following paragraphs may be somewhat confusing.

My problem lies in the nature of said plotline. It shifts in nature, changing every time I have enough time to think about it, or gain some new insight. I’m not sure how everything fits together.

The plotline is very much inspired by the Castlevania series, and several of the games (their analogous events, anyway) I consider “canon.” I’m not limited by the confines of Castlevania; I’ve modified the events as I pleased. I’ve left some out, and completely changed the context of others. All the same, I have to consider my version of those while creating my own games.

I have so many things in my mind, events and stories and… well, so much stuff I can’t fit it together all at once. I’ll forget things, making things that conflict with other ideas I’d made before. One of the characters in Half-Moon, Jakar, was originally intended to be the equivalent of Rondo of Blood/Symphony’s Shaft, but that role has been filled by another character who I think deserves the role much more. While thinking up said character, I completely forgot my own game and Jakar. So now I have a loose end, a character that doesn’t belong in any meaningful way.

It’s really hard to explain without giving examples, which I can’t do because I haven’t given out much about my games, and it would take a lot of explaining to get my point across that way.

It’s really interesting, though. I was writing about one of the major things that bothered me, and just by writing about it I was able to resolve it, and not have to bore you guys with a(nother) long description of my plot woes.

What I really need is to do three things: start writing stuff down, get over my imagination sensitivity, and realize that I am not alone. If I can get some of my ideas down, and on the Pavilion, I can get my stuff together and get some feedback. Maybe people can help smooth things out, see the game-making pitfalls that I never would noticed. And maybe I can get the boost in morale I need if either project is to be finished.

And I still need to decide which game to focus my energy on.

Also, I probably missed something while looking over this long post that... will be confusing when someone reads it. To say the least.

Last edited by Dusk Raven; 06-09-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: missed a "have"
Dusk Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Libby
Teh Twitchy Penguin

Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.Libby is a Chewbacca with headbutting action.
Re: Game-Making Issues (rant)

Welcome to being an author. I have the same problem. I have a thousand diffrent stories running through my head, and it's hard to decide what ideas to place with what stories. I have always spend a short amount of time on a project, only to become interested in another, and then jump back to the previous project when it comes to me. Sometimes I got plots/ideas crossed (like two of my RPG's are currently touching the same sort of issue as my comic) but it's okay, because I approach them a diffrent way.

The way I have dealt with my creative ADD is that I resort to folders. Lots and lots of folders. I know it may seem silly, but here has been my past experience: When I got an idea, I would frantically run through all my portfolios and my computer files and documents and gather everything up and be so interested in whatever I was doing, and then a pop can in the street suddenly shoots my interests to a second project. I would loose the first project entirely into a portfolio, and everything would get mixed up. I got constantly frustrated with this, and so, recently, I have resorted to having a file folder system. Everything is placed together according to storyline, and I am only allowed to work on one storyline at a time.

This might help you figure out which storyline is most important. Take all your documentation and ideas and little scribbles for your two games and divide them into two folders. Then, start with your XP game. Work on it for two weeks and then stop. Mark it on your calender and HOLD YOURSELF TO YOUR DEADLINE. No matter where you are, take an hour and write down all the ideas for it, and then put it in it's "folder"(This can be a figurative folder) and put it away. If you get a brief idea for your XP game while you are working on your 3 game, jot it down and put it in the folder for XP, but DO NOT TOUCH the XP game. Work on your 3 game for two weeks. At the end of those four weeks, sit and reflect on yourself, and even compare the data you came up with. Ask yourself: Which did I enjoy more? Which is closer to deadline? Which is more important? And then concentrate on that. Everytime you come up with a new idea, jot it down(or draw it) and then put it in it's coordinating folder. (i.e. If you are working on 3, and XP is in it's nice folder and you suddenly come up with an idea for RPGM2, put it in a folder and save it for later.) And always carry something to write on with you. I carry a small metal notepad holder that I use to jot down random thoughts. (Like a description for beech trees I got while on a van-run.)

Sorry for the long rant, it's somewhat helped me stay organized and less creatively stressed, and I think it may help you as well. I didn't get confused by your post. I seriously sympathize with you, and I think a lot of Pav members do. I hope this helps.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Dusk Raven
Shadow

Dusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphins

An interesting idea. I don't have any better ones, really, so I may try that.

Meanwhile, I have accomplished nothing, despite summer being here. All that has changed is that I can spend 14+ hours on the computer instead of 7. I've also been busy with forums, other creative projects, and the like.

I will attempt to do this: I will compile a word document, a "script" in which I will outline all characters, events, and other stuff for future reference. Any time I want to make a change, I look in there and work it out. I may even post it.

Here's to progress.
Dusk Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Gustaff 13
Im afraid we have to stop

Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)Gustaff 13 vaporized Tokyo (and Godzilla, in the process)

Libby's advice is great. Realistic deadlines and goals can help you make progress.

But I do sense you're leaning more towards the XP game. An added benefit of being at the computer is having the pav and instant messengers at the ready to bounce ideas off others. But those things can also become distractions, so all in things in moderation I guess.

I'd like to hear more about your ideas. Don't keep us in the dark.