RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker Workshop > RPG Maker VX Ace

Old 05-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Lausen
Call me Amazing

Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.
VX ACE Help

I have little to no scripting knowledge so I have been relying on pre made scripts. So far that has worked just fine, but I am having trouble with my skill system. https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/...-skill-engine/I am using Yanflys skill learn script and I have it working just fine. However, it only unlocks skills. I am wondering if there is a way to add permanent stat boosts to the list. For example:

At level 2 Fire Slash is unlocked to purchase.
At level 3 Atk+4 is unlocked to purchase. (This is what I donít know how to do.)
At level 4 Ice Slash in unlocked to purchase.

I have tried making a skill called atk+4 and then having an event check to see if it is learned and then adding the boost through the event. Doing it that way leaves a useless skill in the list. If I remove it in the event, then you can purchase it over and over.

I am wondering how I can make this work. Ideally, without having to use auto or parrell events slowing things down. Is there a script that can accomplish this? Would I need to edit Yanflyís script?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
Ryner
Bunny Car

Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.Ryner is the most best truck stop ever.
Re: VX ACE Help

When I use passive skills like that I put them in the bottom of the skill list in the editor and set them to "Never" for when they can be used. So when your player looks at the skills menu it'll be shaded out and below all the other skills so it won't catch the eye as much. That's the best solution I can think of without knowledge of the custom script you're using.

Simple Man's Quest for the Playground* - Winner: Pavilionite Biography Contest - Click Here!

Monster Must Die - Winner: Halloween Horror Contest - Click Here!

All you need to play is a computer, no outside program necessary!
Ryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

Ryner's idea is good, but even if you use that setup, don't you run the risk of giving the character a stat boost multiple times (because they will always know the skill when you run through this loop)?

The cleanest way would be to add code to the existing scripts to separate between stat gains and skill gains.

The quicker, dirtier way would be to just have it add to an actor's stats the moment it teaches the skills. I don't have a lot of time to help with scripts right now but a super-quick scan through this 1400-line script makes me think this is the method you want to change (starting on line 1348):

Code:
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # on_cost_ok
  def on_cost_ok
    Sound.play_use_skill
    skill = @item_window.item
    @actor.learn_skill(skill.id)
    cost = skill.learn_cost[0]
    case skill.learn_cost[1]
    when :jp
      @actor.lose_jp(cost, @cost_front.skill_class)
    when :exp
      @actor.lose_exp_class(cost, @cost_front.skill_class)
    when :gold
      $game_party.lose_gold(cost)
    end
    on_cost_cancel
    refresh_windows
  end
Replace this method with the following:

Code:
  # on_cost_ok
  def on_cost_ok
    Sound.play_use_skill
    skill = @item_window.item
    case skill.id
    when 2
      @actor.add_param(2, 4)
    when 6
      @actor.add_param(0, 30)
    when 28
      @actor.add_param(6, 5)
    else
      @actor.learn_skill(skill.id)
    end
    cost = skill.learn_cost[0]
    case skill.learn_cost[1]
    when :jp
      @actor.lose_jp(cost, @cost_front.skill_class)
    when :exp
      @actor.lose_exp_class(cost, @cost_front.skill_class)
    when :gold
      $game_party.lose_gold(cost)
    end
    on_cost_cancel
    refresh_windows
  end
What the additions to the code are doing here is checking the id (from the database, I assume) of the local variable "skill" (which is a reference to the object "item" from @item_window - or in other words, the currently-selected upgrade). If it's "Skill #2", which is your attack +4 upgrade, it will add 4 to parameter 2 (which is ATK) for the currently-selected actor. If it's Skill #6, it will add 30 Max HP. If it's Skill #28, it will add 5 AGI. If it's none of those, it will instead add the selected skill to the actor (which is default Yanfly Learn Skill behavior). Just make as many "when" branches as you want, above the "else" branch.

A better script addition would let you just type in a skill ID and a desired stat/amount to boost, or even let you notetag it in the database. But a better script addition would also take longer for me to write.

Let me know what result you get from this. I'm about 60% confident it will work for you, but I haven't tried it myself, so it's possible this approach is broken or that it's good but I made a mistake in syntax. Based on the error I might be able to fix it.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Last edited by Wavelength; 05-10-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Lausen
Call me Amazing

Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.

Wow, thanks for the response, Wave. I will have to test it out and see how it works. Might be a better solution then what I have. As of now I have managed to make it work with the help of 3 or 4 extra scripts. But the effect is exactly how I wanted it to be.

Right now I am happy to move on and work on something else. I’ve been pulling my hair out for a couple days on that. Haha I have so much to learn when it comes to scripting still.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spite

Dear Wave,

Stop being so damn helpful

Sincerely,
Jamos

PS: Totally feel free to help me though.

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
Dear Wave,

Stop being so damn helpful

Sincerely,
Jamos

PS: Totally feel free to help me though.
Dear Jamos,

I am happy to help you or anyone else anytime, but please stop sending me parts of your ear in UPS boxes. Seriously, it is freaking me out!!

Love,
Wave

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

Last edited by Wavelength; 05-10-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
Lausen
Call me Amazing

I was hoping I could get some help with the script Iíve been using for my battle system. I am currently using yanflys scripts, but I am having an issue with the visual battles script. There is no death animation to it. When a character dies they continue to move in their spot. I was really hoping someone with scripting knowledge could adjust the script so that the character just disappears.

Iíve been trying to come work around this for a while and Iíve hit a point where I need to resolve this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

It seems like a few people have gotten around this by wither using other scripts (suck as Viktor Sant's Animated Battlers) or adding conditionals for things like "if !dead". Have you tried the solutions people have mentioned in the Comments for that script? If none of them work for you I'll be happy to look into the script itself and try to make a mod, but honestly sprite manipulation and timing are my weakest areas in RGSS scripting.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Lausen
Call me Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
It seems like a few people have gotten around this by wither using other scripts (suck as Viktor Sant's Animated Battlers) or adding conditionals for things like "if !dead". Have you tried the solutions people have mentioned in the Comments for that script? If none of them work for you I'll be happy to look into the script itself and try to make a mod, but honestly sprite manipulation and timing are my weakest areas in RGSS scripting.
Stupid thing is, like an hour after I posed this I finally got an add on for the script to work. :/ It isn't exactly how I wanted the death animation, but It's a whole lot better than having the character still standing there walking. haha