RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 03-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #201
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor
Re: Final Fantasy XV

I just found a game/movie/book/etc. that dares to feature an all-male cast very refreshing in an otherwise hyper-critical field
Old 03-14-2017, 02:40 AM   #202
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

But there are a lot of video games that feature an all-male cast.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #203
highwind
Not My Problem

highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
But there are a lot of video games that feature an all-male cast.
JRPGs typically don't. There's almost always one or more super strong female characters in the group. Final Fantasy in particular has had very strong female protagonists pretty much forever and especially lately with the FFX spinoffs, FFXIII and all the Lightning games.
highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #204
dragaron
Dragon + Aaron = Dragaron

dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwind View Post
JRPGs typically don't. There's almost always one or more super strong female characters in the group. Final Fantasy in particular has had very strong female protagonists pretty much forever and especially lately with the FFX spinoffs, FFXIII and all the Lightning games.
Quite true. I'm not sure what exactly the underlying argument is anymore. Terra, Celes, Tifa, Rinoa, Yuna, Lulu, Rikku, Lightning...etc. were all strong female characters in the FF series. I think the guys in FFXV showed depth of character and variances in their personalities that is rare, but I definitely agree that the females in FFXV were "temporary and largely forgotten." I felt nothing when pivotal events regarding them occurred. Lots of cliches throughout the series, but there are only so many believable motivations for saving the world, of which avenging and/or saving someone are the most common.
dragaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #205
highwind
Not My Problem

highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragaron View Post
Quite true. I'm not sure what exactly the underlying argument is anymore. Terra, Celes, Tifa, Rinoa, Yuna, Lulu, Rikku, Lightning...etc. were all strong female characters in the FF series. I think the guys in FFXV showed depth of character and variances in their personalities that is rare, but I definitely agree that the females in FFXV were "temporary and largely forgotten." I felt nothing when pivotal events regarding them occurred. Lots of cliches throughout the series, but there are only so many believable motivations for saving the world, of which avenging and/or saving someone are the most common.
If anything - the bro dynamic is much more relatable. For me anyway. My inner circle as a teenager was all male. Females only came into the group if they were girlfriends.

That changed in college for sure and we regularly had plutonic female friendships in our group.

That's just anecdotal - but it's my experience.

Gosh, even the history of the pavilion has been like dozens of dudes and a handful of (very awesome) girls.

Last edited by highwind; 03-15-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #206
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

So a series that has been a flagship in an area--that the genre has been particularly poor at even attempting to or achieving parity in--suddenly stops being quite so much the flagship, this is seen as a good thing? I guess if you're cool with the genre only having enough female characters that it satisfies one or two character types while the men continue to have the level of varied representation they get in FFXV just in basically everything ever.

That the depth of character and motivation is there for the four bros is nice, but it's beside the point. The point is that every game you're going to be able to poll the main and supporting cast and find almost invariably the four character types on display in FFXV among the men, but you won't even have enough women to make four character types.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #207
Chad
Goes down smooth

Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.

Yuffie/Rikku - Prompto
Lightning, Celes? - Gladius
Terra - Noctis
Tifa for attitude, every other actual FF female because they're all mages - Ignis

"Couch co-op is the only true co-op." Richard of the Cooks.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #208
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

I mean, you're not wrong. I should have clarified that Final Fantasy has been for two decades the exception that proves the rule, since I called it the flagship of male to female representation before I made the claim that most jRPGs wouldn't be able to do the same.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #209
Deeth Irteen
Darkness is the truth

Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.

Anybody excited for Episode Gladiolus coming out on the 28th?

I've also heard that you'll be able to play AS Gladiolus during Chapter 13 in a future update, though I'm not sure if it coincides with Episode Gladiolus.

Quote:
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
-Walt Disney
Deeth Irteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #210
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

Is Square Enix obligated to include a strong female character in every Final Fantasy game going forward? What if Nojima has a vision for another game that's male dominated? Is his vision wrong?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 AM   #211
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
Is Square Enix obligated to include a strong female character in every Final Fantasy game going forward? What if Nojima has a vision for another game that's male dominated? Is his vision wrong?
He's under no obligation except to be profitable. It would be nice if Final Fantasy could be counted upon to continue being the outlier in terms of positive and equal representation, but that hasn't ever really been a mandate of the franchise, just a happy side effect of more compelling and complex storytelling that people turned out to really enjoy and ask for.

My interest in future Final Fantasy titles will be lessened if that's the case, but I expect Square Enix won't miss my money since FFXV performed so well critically and financially.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #212
Deeth Irteen
Darkness is the truth

Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.

I don't want Square Enix to work on a Final Fantasy 16 just yet. They should focus on their bigger games currently in development; Kingdom Hearts 3 and the VII Remake.

Maybe they could then get around to doing a VI Remake.

Quote:
-Walt Disney
Old 03-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #213
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

I'd like them to take something closer to the Pixar approach a bit. Work on a script and stuff that you can translate into an interactive medium with various systems and mechanics, work on the core art aesthetics and style guide, THEN start actually generating art assets.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #214
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor

I'd be happy waiting until 2020/21 for a new Final Fantasy game, but I expect (hopefully) Kingdom Hearts III to be released in 2018 at the latest.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #215
highwind
Not My Problem

I just hope FFVII Remake isn't bad.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #216
dragaron

dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwind View Post
I just hope FFVII Remake isn't bad.
In the countless years of being enticed by the idea of a FFVII remake, I've done some thinking...

Of all the FF games, FFVII might actually be one of the hardest to remake because fans of the original are likely to expect the same type of experience. Developers are going to want to capture that same emotional impact in certain scenes, but 20 years have passed. Unfortunately, games (especially RPGs) have really upped their game (pun intended) to include all types of gadgets and gizmos beyond the FFVII combat system. Developers might be tempted to add bells and whistles to appeal to fresh converts, but at the risk of offending purists that are longing for an enhanced carbon copy of the original that evokes nostalgia. It will be a difficult balance for developers.

Take for instance the Resident Evil series. As great as some of the Resident Evil remakes have been over the years, nothing compares to when I was a teenager in high school and handed that PS controller over to my best friend, only to have him squeal like a pig after he tried to run from that first zombie. I abhorred most of my childhood experiences, but damn it if video games didn't help create some of the fondest memories. They redeemed an otherwise incredibly difficult and confusing part of my life. A lot of people might feel the same about FFVII, expecting a certain type of experience this second time around.

All that being said, I think a FFVII remake will sell like hotcakes because Sephiroth. I mean, how can they possibly screw up "One Winged Angel"? That song is boss. Nah mean?

Last edited by dragaron; 03-17-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #217
Sampson
Hail Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
He's under no obligation except to be profitable. It would be nice if Final Fantasy could be counted upon to continue being the outlier in terms of positive and equal representation, but that hasn't ever really been a mandate of the franchise, just a happy side effect of more compelling and complex storytelling that people turned out to really enjoy and ask for.

My interest in future Final Fantasy titles will be lessened if that's the case, but I expect Square Enix won't miss my money since FFXV performed so well critically and financially.
I know I personally won't buy 16 unless its cast includes at least 2 people of color and a disabled person.

To be clear, I think this sort of thing is absurd. The same as people bemoaning Horizon because the main character is a woman. Final Fantasy has spawned something like two dozen games, almost all of which include at least one strong female protagonist, and one in which the entire cast is female. Final Fantasy 6 featured a female main character at a time when the hobby and the genre was overwhelmingly dominated by nerdy dudes that lived in their mom's basement. They make one game where the party is all men and it's a problem? Find something else to get offended about.

Side note: Really interested to see how they handle Barret's ebonics in the FF7 remake.

Last edited by Sampson; 03-18-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #218
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Yeah, I'm not offended, I'd just like them to do better. Just like I want everything to do better. I'm super psyched that Horizon has a female protagonist but that doesn't mean I don't see the problems with the game.

Reducing a complaint--that is easy to see, is exemplified well, is reasoned, and logically discussed--to absurd and nonsensical doesn't bother me, either.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #219
Deeth Irteen
Darkness is the truth

Update time!

Tabata apparently had an interview recently where he hinted at some kind of "Ardyn DLC". Would anybody here be interested in seeing the events of the game from Ardyn's POV?

Also, I want to slap the first bastard online who says that it "should have been in the game".

Quote:
-Walt Disney
Old 03-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #220
dragaron

Just beat the latest timed quest. This one was a lot easier than the Dread Behemoth. I love that they do these timed quests.