RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker Workshop > RPG Maker 2

Old 01-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

YesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their back
Red face Defenders Of Light Demo Delay

I've been tinkering with DoL:T3W and encountered a problem that set me back a bit. Sometime soon I'll be releasing the demo, but it's possible some issues may remain.

I'm not too happy about it, yet I want to keep my promise of a demo drop.

Thanks for your patience to anyone who was actually waiting on this.

By the way, the demo will be password protected, in spite of what I said before. However, once released, you can request the password. The reason for this is that at least one person outside the community expressed interest in my game, so I'd like to invite them, but not provide complete access immediately.

I'm sure this won't affect anyone directly, but I thought I'd mentioned it anyway.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
dragaron
Dragon + Aaron = Dragaron

dragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hat
Re: Defenders Of Light Demo Delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesterdaysMoose View Post
I've been tinkering with DoL:T3W and encountered a problem that set me back a bit. Sometime soon I'll be releasing the demo, but it's possible some issues may remain.

I'm not too happy about it, yet I want to keep my promise of a demo drop.

Thanks for your patience to anyone who was actually waiting on this.

By the way, the demo will be password protected, in spite of what I said before. However, once released, you can request the password. The reason for this is that at least one person outside the community expressed interest in my game, so I'd like to invite them, but not provide complete access immediately.

I'm sure this won't affect anyone directly, but I thought I'd mentioned it anyway.
Let me know if there is a particular issue that I could help with. I have beaten RPGM2 and have made it my slave for years. I have had to come up with many workarounds to hardcoded limits. Drew is pretty ingenious also, and I'm certain that one of the three of us could pretty much figure out anything.
dragaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

YesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their backYesterdaysMoose carries several important turtles on their back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragaron View Post
Let me know if there is a particular issue that I could help with. I have beaten RPGM2 and have made it my slave for years. I have had to come up with many workarounds to hardcoded limits. Drew is pretty ingenious also, and I'm certain that one of the three of us could pretty much figure out anything.
Okay, well...

Right now the Square Button Retry does not work properly in some situations. This did not seem to be the case before, but now has somehow become a thing.

It seems that when you lose during the Mini Match game, the Square button takes a seemly random amount of presses to work. And, I swear that this was not happening before.

I am not sure if it happens in other situations. Since I found this problem, I haven't gone back to working on it. My theory is that this is caused by me using a combination of Action and Content scripts, or possibly some scripting error that I've missed.

As an aside, I attempted to use the Vehicle Loop Trick to enable the player to have the option of restarting or quitting the Mini Game. Basically, I set up button commands, nothing fancy. The problem was that when the Escape command was used, the player returned to the Mini Game but unable to move. However, the camera could still be rotated. Quit worked fine.

So, 1) The problem of the Square Button needs to be fixed so it works properly in all situations. The player should only need to press it once.

2) It would be nice to allow the player the option of Restarting or Quitting the Mini Game. This could be during the game itself, but could also be an option only once the player has lost. After all, allowing the player to restart / quit the Mini Game while they are still playing it could be too easy...?

Then again, I wouldn't mind allowing players to have these options. Since my inspiration, Donkey Kong 64, allows these options, I figure my game could do the same.

Ideally, not having to press the square button to retry would be cool. The only reason I haven't done this is because, frankly, I'm not sure how to implement it. The Vehicle Loop seems to be the way to go, but I really don't know how to use it effectively.

The most important thing is: Whatever the solution is, it should be able to work in all situations. If this requires a few scripts, so be it, but one is always better.

If you need any more details, let me know. I'd appreciate any help.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
dragaron

dragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hatdragaron is wearing a foil hat

In games with a looping action script where it checks for button inputs, there can often be a delay in acknowledging button inputs between cycles if the wait frames are set too low. Experiment with number of frames. I usually use the wait input (5F, and nothing lower) command that can be interrupted with a button press. But since you have the SQR button set up, that content script should be able to interrupt the looping action script at any time, since content scripts are prioritized. In the SQR button script, you can have a looping choice to Resume or Exit. I never used the vehicle trick (mainly because it wasn't my idea), but those who use it consider it a very viable method of using any button to interrupt any script type.

Last edited by dragaron; 01-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

Quote:
In games with a looping action script where it checks for button inputs, there can often be a delay in acknowledging button inputs between cycles if the wait frames are set too low. Experiment with number of frames. I usually use the wait input (5F, and nothing lower) command that can be interrupted with a button press. But since you have the SQR button set up, that content script should be able to interrupt the looping action script at any time, since content scripts are prioritized. In the SQR button script, you can have a looping choice to Resume or Exit. I never used the vehicle trick (mainly because it wasn't my idea), but those who use it consider it a very viable method of using any button to interrupt any script type.
I may get back to the VL, but I have removed it completely. I'm more concerned about the Square Button not working as intended.

If you wouldn't mind, try out my demo and test the Mini Games in First World. As I mentioned, Mini Match has the problem now. The Soldier closest to the start position initiates the Mini Game.

To avoid the intro, just go into the editor and pick a character. Then, place them on First World at 127 x 127 y. Aside from having all the Abilities and avoiding the cut-scenes, everything else will remain unchanged.

Everything is set up in the Demo for Square to reset the Mini Game, and it should always work on the first press. After all, it is not using the VL.

Perhaps you may find something I've overlooked. Let me know if you need specific script numbers.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
dragaron

I'm having trouble recreating the error of the SQR menu not working. I loaded the demo you sent me before, and tried the Mini Match game, and 20 times in a row after failing, the "[] TRY AGAIN" prompt came up, and the minigame reset on the first press of the SQR button. Maybe it is the SQR button on your controller that is faulty. Do you have a different controller to try?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

Question Re: Defenders Of Light Demo Delay

Okay, so get this, I removed some script commands, then added them back in, and now it works again?!? Nothing was really changed and somehow it functions as intended?!?!?!?

RPG MAKER 2!!!! (Shaking fist at sky)

While I was fiddling around, I also managed to get the Quit option to work without any Vehicle Loop. Again, I just added in commands that were somehow not functioning before and like magic they worked.

I'm going to keep testing, but it looks like things are fine... for now.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
dragaron

Yeah, I ran into something like that a few times (thankfully not too often), where I removed a script, added it back in, and then it worked. It's a fickle beast, that RPGM2.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

Quote:
Yeah, I ran into something like that a few times (thankfully not too often), where I removed a script, added it back in, and then it worked. It's a fickle beast, that RPGM2.
It's happened to me so many times, but typically a system reset would fix the problem. RM2 really had me fooled this time.

You think I would've learned after having crashed the game countless times just by working on it.

Oh well, gonna get back to saving memory, then... uh... trying to figure out what to do next. I had a plan in place, but lost some data when this external hard drive I have busticated.

Maybe designing "levels" or another boss...?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

Exclamation Re: Defenders Of Light Demo Delay

If any one's reading this, I'm putting the finishing touches on the demo and it'll be released soon.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

Angry Re: Defenders Of Light Demo Delay

RPG Maker 2 keeps fighting me every step of the way, so it'll be a while longer.

I've added an option to Quit Mini Games, but now some of the scripts I made before aren't working properly. I made a workaround to patch the issue, yet two other problems raised their ugly heads to impede my progress.

I supposed I could've just released the previously working version, but I wanted a few more options to be available for this Demo.

Stuff like this really makes things extremely frustrating and needlessly complicated. I'm sure I'll find a solution soon-ish.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
dragaron

Tell me about it. The RPGM2 software is equally as frustrating as it is rewarding. It is the "Dark Souls" of software development. I remember getting stuck on single, seemingly trivial, issues for months at a time.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
1ce
Stay informed

1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.

Better late than never!
1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

Thumbs up Re: Defenders Of Light Demo Delay

The Demo is very close to completion, just fixing up some very situational specific bugs. There are more automatic events and options to select, adding these things brought a few new problems. At the rate I have been going, it should be done within the next week or two.

For anyone interested:

NEW OPTIONS
  • Quit Mini Games and Boss Challenge
  • View Door(s) Open when you have enough Light Automatically when entering an area