RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker General

Old 02-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
Brightness
The Revolutionary Eon

Brightness is a splendid one to behold
Sad day for the Pavilion

I... I am very sad, you know that feeling when your little cousin deletes your game (34 hours of work on my puzzle game) and you can't do anything about it because his mother will get mad? Ah.😭😭😭... Now I have to start all over again.

What's your sad story about RPG maker?

-Give me a sign
Brightness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Redeye
You wasted time with this

Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.
Re: Sad day for the Pavilion

When I found out that making games with RPG Maker 3 was too much of a hassle to even bother finishing one after, say, 3-4 attempts at making one.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
dragaron
Dragon + Aaron = Dragaron

dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.

If you think RPGM3 is tough to deal with, try working with RPGM2. Very temperamental, but definitely powerful once you figure things out (after 5 or so years of using it, at a minimum).

Last edited by dragaron; 02-12-2018 at 10:28 PM.
dragaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
Redeye
You wasted time with this

Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.Redeye is cooler than a T-Rex that with laser beam eyeballs.

RM3 wasn't hard to use, but it's definitely boring to use. The lack of freedom eventually drains your enthusiasm. Whenever I tried making small mini-projects on it a while back, I always did every last database entry besides the monsters, then began to work on the level design when I started going "This is starting to become a chore..." I think it's the reason why my major RM3 projects were cancelled back in the day.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
Pavilionite

RPGMakerConsoleFan101 has much to be proud ofRPGMakerConsoleFan101 has much to be proud of

I think RPG Maker Fes is fun and easy to use. It's always cool seeing the resources you get, and the DLC options.

Sakon Shima, Katsuie Shibata, Mitsunari Ishida, and Masamune Date are ready to PARTY!
RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:26 AM   #6
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite child

I had almost completed my RPGM project Police State in 2003, started in 2000, and decided not to finish it in 2003 when I started programming. The memory cards got stolen in 2009 as the result of a burglary. I had the data backed up on a PC but the hard drive was corrupted when I tried to recover the files in 2010/2011.

My copy of RPGM was later stolen in 2014. Unless I get rich, I will probably never re-purchase it again. I worked for that game when I was a kid. I cleaned offices with my half brother to help pay for it.

I've moved onto bigger and better things with RPGM MV. I won't be showing anything for a while, but when I do, a demo will be close after. I have ideas that no command-driven jRPG I know of has implemented, and the PSX RPGM is far too inadequate a platform for what I want to do. RPGM PSX simply doesn't have enough usable memory to do much with regard to custom art, and I had to severely restrict my art to 2-3 monster sprites, 4-5 blocks of objects(using ALL 9 frames for different objects and moving them into place with scenario events that dark the screen upon entering a dungeon and move them into place before allowing the player to see the screen, eating up more memory), two custom character sprites, and even a "blue chef holding a gun sprite" because the blue chef already in-game was a good substitute for the police officer sprite that I didn't have the spare anime maker block to import or make my own(and I could blend that sprite in with some object graphics like a blue car, lockers, and toilet stalls because they shared the same colors WITH the chef sprite able to fire the gun and face left or right).

I mastered PSX RPGM, but my game was severely limited due to memory constraints and will now never be published because it's lost.

Oh well.

RPGM MV, for all practical purposes, will allow me "unlimited" custom art. That opens up so much, that I know I will spend years making art for my games just because I can and I'm a perfectionist to that degree.

RPGM on the PSX was a good start. It's a delightfully complicated toy, but a poor substitute for actual programming or access to a hard-drive. I messed with other engines like Sphere and Dark Basic and even tried making my own with some C++ and Open GL. They're also way too clunky to use without a team of people and enough time to make all of the models I would need(I wouldn't live long enough to do it all myself).

RPGM MV allows custom scripts, but already gives you a base engine whose function you can modify to some extent with those custom scripts, saving 90% of the work. Making a fleshed-out complete and playable role playing game of epic play duration from scratch can easily take tens of thousands of man hours. RPGM MV cuts that to thousands of man hours, allowing total freedom in quantity and quality of dialogue, art, music, tiles, animations, characters, ect and allows you to use simple sprite graphics or even use those sprites into a 3d environment with custom scripts. RPGM on the PSX in turn cuts that work to hundreds of man hours, but it's so threadbare a program that one is stuck with its battle system engine if they want to make a long, epic game with enough custom art to make it stand out(with all 9 anime maker blocks available for use at a time) and custom music is almost an impossibility(there are workarounds, but it is severely restricted where and how it can be used, and it will eat up precious memory), and requiring the player to slip multiple system and scenario cards at various points in the story(in my case with Police State, you had to load the THREE memory cards in a very specific order each time a scenario and/or system card was swapped to and as a result this RPGM game wouldn't have been playable on most PSX emulators requiring a PSX copy of the game).

I never much intended to touch RPGM PSX again unless it was to play someone's game, all of this being said.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #7
Brightness
The Revolutionary Eon

Brightness is a splendid one to behold

Toecutter, I understand what you said. My advice, you must look out for thieves.. Man, they're sucking you up dry. Let me punch them if you see them.

-Give me a sign
Brightness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #8
dragaron
Dragon + Aaron = Dragaron

dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.dragaron is the third Mario Brother.

TC, if you ever get the itch to play RPGM (PS1) and make Police State a reality, it runs for only $10 or so on eBay. I could always order it and have it sent to you or a P.O. box or something. Still, the issues it presents with limited customization and memory are greatly inhibiting.
dragaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
1ce
Stay informed

1ce received more popular votes than Nader.1ce received more popular votes than Nader.1ce received more popular votes than Nader.1ce received more popular votes than Nader.1ce received more popular votes than Nader.1ce received more popular votes than Nader.1ce received more popular votes than Nader.

I remember I got a lot done on my Calculator project and accidentally overwrote the scenario data. Had to start from scratch, although fortunately I had written down a lot of notes on how it works, so it was easier to rebuild.

Gotta back up that data and make lots of notes.

To make you feel better, here's some happy music:

Tengu Man agrees, losing data is bogus.

Last edited by 1ce; 02-13-2018 at 01:29 PM.
1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
Kit Carruthers
come on die young

Kit Carruthers is a national treasureKit Carruthers is a national treasureKit Carruthers is a national treasureKit Carruthers is a national treasureKit Carruthers is a national treasureKit Carruthers is a national treasure

Stole your memory card? Way to add insult to injury. I mean how much could a used memory card possibly be worth.

This is a depressing thread.

Last edited by Kit Carruthers; 02-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Kit Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #11
Omnislash024
Cuz I said so.

Omnislash024 is very special. More special than you.Omnislash024 is very special. More special than you.Omnislash024 is very special. More special than you.

Relatives are the bane of any saved game file. Do not let them near.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.

There was this one time at band camp...

*** SPOILERS ***
...where my sister's ex stole a bunch of my games and memory cards, thus me losing so many hours on RPGM projects.
*** END SPOILERS ***

Also

*** SPOILERS ***
I never been to band camp.
*** END SPOILERS ***

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
Sunstorm93
Living think-ception

Sunstorm93 is a fairly shiny person.
Red face Re: Sad day for the Pavilion