Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > RPG Maker General

View Poll Results: RPG Maker 2 vs RPG Maker 3
RPG Maker 2 8 61.54%
RPG Maker 3 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is a fairly shiny person.
RPG Maker 2 vs RPG Maker 3

I'm planning on getting both games eventually but right now I'm only gonna get one and I'm wondering which one would you guys recommend. I will be getting it for my PS2. I know that there is a strategy guide for RPG Maker 2 but none for 3. If I do get 2 I would want the strategy guide with it because I know it will be very helpful. With RPG Maker 2 they give you a lot of freedom in what you can do but it's hard in order to make a good RPG (I think I might get through within time). With RPG Maker 3 it's easy to use but has it's limitations (which I don't mind too much). I know that both games do have 3d graphics which sometimes do look beautiful. I already have RPG Maker 1 on my PS1 emulator on my tablet (got rid of the one on my PSP for more games), and I already have RPG Maker Fes on my 2ds (which I'm doing really good at and I love it). So I'm just wandering which one should I get right now (note: prices might change over time on different websites so prices could go up or down or stay the same).

Update: Added pictures of the boxes.

Last edited by RPGMakerConsoleFan101; 07-10-2017 at 11:54 PM.
RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
Goyle
keep walking forward

Goyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310oz
Re: RPG Maker 2 vs RPG Maker 3

RPG Maker 2 is by far my favorite console entry, but it is also...very complicated. I think it manages to tread a closer line to actually scripting and/or coding something similar to the PC makers, but it trades that power for a pretty steep learning curve. Still, it has a special place in my heart.
Goyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

The poll is supposed to end on 8/28/17 not 8/27/17. I will try to fix and edit this mistake (if I can hopefully).
Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

It's nice that RPG Maker 2 has a special place in your heart like how RPG Maker Fes has a special place in my heart. Maybe RPG Maker 2 or 3 might hold a special place in my heart along with Fes. For some odd reason RPG Maker 1 doesn't hold a special place in my heart but I still enjoy it. I bet you that the people here in the community (Example: Valkysas, Draygone, etc.) probably have an RPG Maker game that holds a special place in their heart or is just their favorite.

Last edited by RPGMakerConsoleFan101; 07-11-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #5
Duel
Donkey Emperor

Duel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealed

if rpg maker 3 had online connectivity and and severs that hosted created games, it would win hands down.

Last edited by Duel; 07-11-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Duel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
DarkwingChuck
Donkey Emperor

Location: Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
DarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small treesDarkwingChuck sleeps with small trees

Personally I was more interested in the story and less interested in building the game mechanics so I liked RPG Maker 3 more. But if you want to have control over how the game plays then 3 will be annoyingly limited.

The first game on PS1 will always be the one that's close to my heart. It was the first one I used obviously but I also thought it had a great balance of flexibility and ease of use.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

Do to me kind of being impatient I have announced that the poll will end on 7/29/17. Again, the poll will end on 7/29/17!

Last edited by RPGMakerConsoleFan101; 07-12-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMakerConsoleFan101 View Post
I bet you that the people here in the community (Example: Valkysas, Draygone, etc.) probably have an RPG Maker game that holds a special place in their heart or is just their favorite.
"The Spiteful Dead" on RPGM1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMakerConsoleFan101 View Post
I know that there is a strategy guide for RPG Maker 2 but none for 3. If I do get 2 I would want the strategy guide with it because I know it will be very helpful.
As an owner of the RPGM2 guide, it is NOT very helpful. The most use I've got out of it is looking through the character and monster assets at the back of the guide. The rest of the guide is basically just a walkthrough on how to create a simple game, and does not instruct on any of the complicated stuff, like creating a healing item.

Yes, creating a healing item in RPG Maker 2 is complicated. If you are okay with that, then RPGM2 is for you.
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."
Draygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

I would still get the strategy guide if I ever get the game because it might be helpful at some point (probably when creating a very simple 1 hour-long RPG). Or I could just have it as a collectible or whatever. Right now I am currently creating an RPG using RPG Maker Fes.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
1ce
Stay informed

1ce killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!1ce killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!1ce killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!1ce killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!1ce killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!1ce killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!1ce killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!

I think you're better off going with 3. Easier to use and has some amazing games made for it.
1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #11
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.

The thing about RPGM3 games is that, due to the nature of RPGM3's restrictions, most of the games made for it are pretty similar to each other.

On the other hand, RPGM2 games have more variety, but due to the nature of RPGM2's difficulty, most of the games for it aren't even finished.
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

Last edited by Draygone; 07-12-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
Biggie
Could get out more

Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...

I will always hold a special place in my heart for RPGM2.
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #13
Drew
Pavilionite

Drew got lost in the backyard once but that's ok, they brought a flashlightDrew got lost in the backyard once but that's ok, they brought a flashlightDrew got lost in the backyard once but that's ok, they brought a flashlight

RPG Maker II hands down. It's possible to make just about any type of game with it. Plus the script editor is almost on par with the PC makers, what more could you want for a console RPG Maker? Hopefully we'll get a RPG Maker 4 for the PS4, how fitting that would be!
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #14
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

I would like an RPG Maker for the Nintendo Switch. You could take it on the go or play off of your TV on the fly.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #15
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

I wonder why they never made a RPG Maker game for the PSP? Hopefully they make one for something like the PSVITA, PS3, or the PS4. I would really like it if they made one for the Nintendo Switch!

Last edited by RPGMakerConsoleFan101; 07-15-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #16
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

I will be surprised if an RPG Maker does not happen on the Switch. They've been on all of Nintendo's handhelds since the Game Boy Color. With Nintendo's handhelds having been merged with their consoles, it only makes sense that the next handheld RPGM would be on Switch. Especially if Fes is successful, it being the first handheld RPGM to release internationally.

Last edited by Draygone; 07-16-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

I think RPG Maker Fes is awesome! It holds a special place in my heart. I like the DLC so far. Some people have created amazing games using this (even some of the demos are good). There was this game someone made using Fes and it reminds me of Resident Evil but Sci-Fi themed. It had a very unique combat system. I think it took a lot of Switches and Variables. I think Fes will sale good enough so that another RPG Maker would come out for the Switch.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor

RPGM1 will always be my favorite.

Game that gives me the fondest memories, besides my own, was Acre-Age
Old 07-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #19
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

The poll will officially end tomorrow (7/29/17). The poll says it will end on 8/27/17 do to a mistake I made. I repeat, the poll will officially end tomorrow (7/29/17)!

Last edited by RPGMakerConsoleFan101; 07-28-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #20
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
I <3 foxes

Tomorrow is the last day to vote on whether I get RPG Maker 2 or RPG Maker 3 for my PS2. You can still vote even after tomorrow but it won't count after tomorrow.