RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Imaginari

Old 06-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

GLM is a splendid one to beholdGLM is a splendid one to behold
Bloodshed

Ok, so initially Bloodshed was what some of your may remember as 'Holes'. It was mainly just based on images in my head of WWI German-esque dudes with melee weapons fighting invading cosmic/extradimensional monsters. Aside from the concept of 'voldic space' and the German aesthetics, it's a different beast now.

Quote:
*** DISCLAIMER ***
(I was hoping to have some images to show along with this post, but I've been nearly bed-ridden all week and not interested in doing much of anything. I'll add illustrations eventually. I know that's what you folks really want to see.)
I'm never sure where to start with these sorts of things. Uh, well, the setting is now analogous to the 1870s or so, technology-wise (relax, it's not steampunk). Guns exist and are widely used. These are mostly single-shot large bore bolt-action rifles and simple three-shot revolvers using oversized black powder/magnesium lead ball cartridges. It's a world of constant conflict, but not needlessly grimdark.

The world itself is very small, probably only about the size and shape of central Europe. Surrounding this is a seemingly endless wasteland of blowing ash, peppered with enormous rocks, most commonly called Voldic Space. It's named for the mythological being Vold, the Eater of Worlds. This expanse is effectively impenetrable due to its size, and is all that remains of the rest of the world. The story goes that one day Vold appeared as a horrible face that spanned the heavens and swallowed the world whole. During this process an immense white female figure with a head made of blinding light emerged from the land and sheltered a small part of the world, sacrificing herself for our continued existence. Both this unnamed savior (I'm still work-shopping names) and Vold are referred to as cosmic beings, not straight-up 'gods'.

In the dissolution of the female being were born the Whitebloods, a small group of humans granted cosmic power who charged themselves with restoring what was left of humanity. There are no records from this time, but to this day the Whitebloods are considered the saviors of humanity and only looked upon favorably. The Whitebloods appeared as eerie and beautiful white-skinned giants between eight and ten feet tall. While they are seemingly deathless, all have since retreated into seclusion within the First City, Belhern, and have not interacted with humanity in over 200 years.

(and, no, the Whitebloods aren't really evil or something)

The intentions were good, but gradually things start falling apart under the human government, and instead of peace we have warring city-states and increasingly limited resources. The Belhern Central Authority starts getting its act together and rofl-stomping the other cities in the name of order (but mostly due to the elite not liking how things are looking for them with all these resource-rich areas claiming independence) and claim the Whitebloods have resumed communication and want to see humanity reunited.. even if by force. Many other cities see this (rightly) as a power-grab try to unite against Belhern. Fast forward a few years and we enter the current state of the world, an era called The Wars.

Against this backdrop the game itself is really about two brothers named Rom and Orso, and their estranged (and PTSD-addled) father Murdolph.

Oh, and I guess I should probably mention that the only animals left we would recognize are birds. The rest of the ecosystem has been replaced with a class of Splatterhouse-esque human-featured monsters called maniforms and countless strange cosmic crustaceans called voldipedes that have spread from Voldic Space.

(Now I have to go do some actual work. If anyone cares enough to ask some questions I'd be happy to elaborate on anything.)

Last edited by GLM; 07-02-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Very slow day at work..
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spite
Re: Bloodshed

Whenever you are done with your self-loathing, I eagerly await seeing what "Holes" evolved into.

Add me... I'll wait.

Last edited by Jamos; 06-24-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

I'm just trying to have some assets to show with the explanation, I'll try and repost this by early next week. I'm glad someone's interested.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

There, I edited the first post with some information while I'm bored at work. It's not the most eloquent thing, but it's sort of an outline.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Jamos

Jamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spite

Sounds like an interesting premise. It opens itself up for some potentially creative lore and the like. Though I think the era named "The Wars" seems a little too mild for the current situation. The last survivors of humanity are desperately fighting for the little space and resources remaining. The name should be really reflect that struggle.

Now originally when "Holes" was brought up the big focus was fighting giant creatures. I am, of course, 100% sure that is the primary focus of this game. I'm curious about roughly how big that the weapons used against them can get and if there are heavy and light builds of them and the armor.

Add me... I'll wait.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

The Wars is just a placeholder name, really.

As for giant monsters.. well, they're not the main focus HOWEVER they are used in combat. The main mount-style maniform is a bipedal mass with an armless female torso sticking out called a 'veloria'. These can be armoured and function like a light tank. The other primary work maniform is a headless giant called a 'fairchild', and can be covered in armour and be used as anything from a seige engine to a multi-crew walking tank to even just mobile cover. The only other maniform used by humans are called 'bowers' which fill the role of dogs, even though they can't really be tamed. Bowers look like a legless torso that walks on its hands. They're also common problem maniforms, and are often hunted down like wolves.

While guns are used in my game, people also use things like swords and bullet-proof tower shields. Bombs are limited to low explosives, and are mostly small hand bombs.

Some voldipedes can get pretty enormous, one of the early bosses is called a 'vulmanway', which looks like a cross between a huge centipede and a human ribcage and spine.

I'm not married to the idea of guns in my game, but I spent a lot of time designing the weapons for the heroes and am loathe to abandon them. For the longest time they didn't have guns at all, but mechanized slingshot-bows called bolzenfleighers. These used elastic filiments harvested from voldipedes and chemically-treated so they are nearly indestructible and can withstand enough tension that the bolt from a high-power bolzenfleigher can penetrate the best body armour. Would that be more interesting?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 AM   #7
Jamos

I gotta say, I rather like the idea of using large monsters in combat. If done right that can be pretty cool.

As for potentially abandoning guns, I think them being in game should be fine. I certainly don't have a problem with it. I also like the bolzenfleigher weapon idea. Is there any particular reason why both guns and bolzenfleighers can't exist at the same time? As long as they don't function exactly the same way, it should be fine.

Add me... I'll wait.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

I'd rather one or the other for the sake of my OCD.

The reason I'd made the boltgun (bolzenfleigher) was to have an in-world excuse for:
a) the extensive use of melee weapons due the the time it takes to reset after each shot
b) to have something comparable to guns without the same range.

The bolts used with the weapon are not the same as crossbow bolts. They are about as thick around as your little finger, between one and three feet long (depending on the boltgun) and almost entirely metal. Instead of a broad cutting head they mostly end in a point like a nail.

See, unlike (most) crossbows these things have reloading mechanism built-in. The filaments are grabbed by an assembly sled that slides up and down the length of the weapon on a track. You slide it forward, lock it and then use a little crank on the side to pull it back until the sled is back in the starting position with the filaments stretched. Due to the power of the weapon it takes about a minute to reset it, so when some dudes are all up in your business you don't have time to take a bunch of shots. Also, with the filaments functioning like extremely high-tension rubber there's no need for a 'bow' so the boltgun has a very narrow fork and can be visually similar to turn-of-the-century firearms.

I really do like the bolzenfleigher, and I did spend a long time figuring out the mechanics. Maybe I should keep them. They're certainly more unique than guns.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Jamos

Sounds like you figured it out yourself. It is certainly more creative than just guns.

Add me... I'll wait.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

I've been flip-flopping on the bolzenfleighers for a while. I guess it's time to settle on one or the other so I can move forward with the designs.

The party consists of the following characters:

Quote:
Rom (Romska)

He's the hero, for lack of a better term. Rom is Orso's younger brother. He decides to become a mercenary when his town, Griss Ravine, starts collapsing as the war wears on. Rom's father, Murdolph, was among the first conscripted by the Central Authority and a locally respected maniform hunter. Murdolph taught Rom and Orso how to use a sword and boltgun at a young age, since they lived in the countryside. Rom wears a knee-length olive coat and a brown flat cap.

Weapon(s):
Snub Bolzenfleigher (think bullpup rifle sort of design),
Shortsword
Target Glove (shield-gauntlet)
Quote:
Orso

Rom's older brother who joined the militia as soon as he could to follow in his father's footsteps. The combat tutorial of the game is planned to be him participating in his first skirmish, where he is shot in the mouth with a high-power bolzenfleigher and severely disfigured. When Rom finds Orso years later he's a very different man. Orso is a shocktrooper who excels in close-combat. He uses a stimulant drink called 'Burn' that makes him resistant to pain, fear and fatigue.. but is destroying his body and mind. He is missing this entire right cheek, allowing his teeth and partial jawbone to be seen on that side, as well as half of his right ear. He wears an olive coat of a different style than Rom and heavy leather gloves. He often fights in his undershirt because of the nature of Burn, which causes intense sweating and overheating while in effect.

Weapon(s):
Anit-Maniform Greatsword 'Maneater' (like the ones I used to draw for Holes)
Burn
Quote:
Larga

Larga is my fetish-fuel character. She's the characteristically 'thicc' girl who is over six feet tall. Her backstory isn't complete, but her personality is supposed to be very literal and honest. She comes from the mountains in the north and is very justice-oriented. I'm considering giving her some sort of thick accent like a Russian. Larga wears an enclosed helmet, a jumpsuit (think April O'Neil, but military) and a huge girdle-belt harness to help her support her bolt-proof shield. Very strong, but tries not to kill needlessly.

Weapon(s):
Armbreaker Club
Heavy Boltshield
Quote:
Stilette

The least realized character. She's small and very skinny with very short hair. Often mistaken for a young boy. Stil chainsmokes, and is what one would call 'tsundere'. In reality she's very awkward and spent a lot of her life as a prisoner of war. She's the dedicated gunner of the group and uses an enormous bolzenfleigher designed to penetrate armour. She is a skilled tracker and hunter. Stilette wears a shoulder cape and alpine hat and carries a quiver of three-foot bolts on her side.

Weapon(s):
High-Power AP Bolzenfleigher (the same size and roughly the same shape as a German anti-tank rifle from WWI)
Combat Knife
Deployable Leg-trap
Old 07-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
Jamos

Looks like you put quite a bit of thought into Orso's character. Kind of like him. There is quite a bit of potential, when it comes to story telling, if done right. Hard to say much more about the other characters because they are clearly still being put together. Tricky part of any game is making compelling characters.

Add me... I'll wait.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
Jamos

Any updates or anything? Just thought I'd pop in here and ask. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Especially the monster designs. Your descriptions sound like the kind of things I would make if I was more artistically gifted.

Add me... I'll wait.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

Yeah, sorry. I've been having some sort of artistic block the last couple of weeks. It's dumb, but I still just can't decide between the guns or the bolzenfleighers.

I really feel that simple cartridge-based guns make more sense, especially for fighting the kind of monsters I designed, and it would better fit the theme and technological level of the setting. I really don't want to use both. I mean, people still use swords and stuff even with the guns. Think of the soldiers in Nausicša, but without airplanes and tanks and jazz.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but even simple things like metallurgy or them not having invented jacketed bullets changes firearms immensely. Larga was originally almost the same and used a tower shield to advance on dudes using spherical lead bullets. You'd be surprised. I recently saw a video about body armour from the late 19th century that was 'rifleproof' until someone used a newly-developed type of cartridge on it and punched right through it and four feet of wood.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #14
GLM
©1989 POLOCOM

I found an unfinished image of a prototype Larga fighting some bowers. The design for the bowers has changed a bit since this.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #15
Jamos

God... I forgot just how much I've missed your artwork. Looks as good as ever. Even though it is an older design, it is real nice to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Yeah, sorry. I've been having some sort of artistic block the last couple of weeks.
Dude, I get it. I use to write all the time and I have been trying to get back into it. Then the blocks hit and apparently those "blocks" form a brick wall. It is so annoying. And then there is the RP I run where I have to constantly come up with stuff since we have a session every week. Though that is a bit different, but not the point. Hopefully you can get out of that slump soon.

Add me... I'll wait.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #16
Jamos

Hey there, Mr. Glooms. Was curious if that block of yours is still stopping your progress. That and I wanted to show that there is at least one person wanting to see this come to life.

Add me... I'll wait.