RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Imaginari

Old 11-01-2017, 02:13 AM   #1
Czechs Mex
moof

Czechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at night
NaNoWriMo 2017

November is national novel writing month:
https://nanowrimo.org

Are you participating? If you’ve done so in the past, how did it go? Anything you’d do differently? Any advice for someone trying this for the first time?
Czechs Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Garr123
forgiveness buttons

Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.
Re: NaNoWriMo 2017

Probably going to work on a novel all month, but it's something I put down some months back during a family crisis where I couldn't focus on writing.

Just write, I guess. If your biggest roadblock is actually sitting down and doing the work, then it might be a useful exercise. For perspective: short stories that I've actually managed to sell were 3-6k words and took 3-4 weeks to write. Trying to write 20 times that amount in the same time frame doesn't seem conducive to quality.
"At first it just looked like a picture of a bunch of lily pads, but then I started scraping at it with my pocket knife and the whole painting just sort of spoke to me," Schmidt said. "For the first time, I finally understand what Monet was trying to get across in her work."

Last edited by Garr123; 11-01-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Garr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

NaNoWriMo is good as an exercise for most people simply as a way to prove that you CAN make the time to write. You CAN produce a complete story, even if it's fairly garbage because you were pushing yourself so hard just to get those 1,667 words in every day.

Anything written during NaNo should be treated as a rough outline for a novel you're going to write better later, because Garr is absolutely right in that quantity over quality usually produces no good results in this case. The results are that you did it, not that you have something you can actually use, especially if you're not a writer in the general sense at the start.

Finishing the first year is the hardest, getting past the first week is probably the major hump that most people stumble over and eventually quit.

Some people use October to prep for NaNo, literally worldbuilding and outlining and character synopses. Having a framework to draw from may help you when you're stuck because you can skip the scene and come back later, still getting the words you need each day. Spending some time each day building your outline is also a good use of pre-writing time during November, if you don't already have one.

Read at least a couple paragraphs of your writing from the day before to get yourself back into the mindset of what you were writing. I usually just reread everything from the day before.

Super important is not to edit yourself. Don't backspace, don't delete. Don't rewrite. Anything you rewrite while writing is probably going to get rewritten again later and it's just wasted effort. You are absolutely not trying to write "good" sentences during NaNo. If you know of some change you want to make, put an asterisk or some other easily findable (CTRL-F) mark so you can go through and change it later, AFTER you're done writing. Pretend you made the change and move on. Do not stop to edit yourself.

It's also very helpful to do writing sprints. Ten minute timer and just write. Ten minute timer to rest, talk to people, read, play video games, eat a bagel, whatever. Then ten minutes to write again. You get 30 minutes of condensed "gotta write" time and can easily get a few hundred words in each time if you're focused on writing because you don't have an endless window.

And finally, look for your local NaNo Write-ins. They take up shop in coffee houses, libraries, bookstores, Panera Bread, etc. Placing yourself into an environment where everyone else is trying to write has a lot of competitive energy to it that can help people. Just show up with the intent to write, not to socialize. Socializing will happen, but the good groups will have some kind of focused "writing time" where everyone shuts up and writes.

As for me, I'm using this year's NaNo to sort of worldbuild a post-post-apocalyptic VR religion heist story that I've been trying unsuccessfully for most of this year to break. I have a bunch of component pieces that I like, but no solid throughline that's making it all come together. So instead of writing a novel I'm just throwing words at the wall to write scenes and vignettes as they occur to me, that I know I'll be almost completely trashing. And hopefully from all of that I'll have something more to work with when I'm building the outline for the novel.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
Goyle
keep walking forward

Goyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310oz

I'm pooping out an updated idea I explored almost a decade ago for Nano because I wanted to revisit it (and recently revisited the primary inspiration, which got the juices flowing in the first places).

I'm not expecting it to be good, or tbh to even finish. The last nano I tried I don't think I even got 5k words in. I put in about 600 today during downtime at work, though, so we'll see~
Goyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
The Dark Jester
The Hellion

The Dark Jester killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!The Dark Jester killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!The Dark Jester killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!The Dark Jester killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!The Dark Jester killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!The Dark Jester killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!The Dark Jester killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!

I really want to do this, but my time management is garbage. But I've been writing a lot more lately, so maybe I'll throw my writing together and see what I come up with.

The Dark Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Deeth Irteen
Darkness is the truth

Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.

I'm using this year's NaNoWriMo to write a spinoff/Prequel to my Wyrmblooded novel.

It's an adaptation of Shakespeare's "As You Like It", but titled "As Orcs Like It".

Quote:
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
-Walt Disney
Deeth Irteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
Stormy
i like pie

Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.

I'm doing the GitHub Game Off game jam instead. Learning myself some Unity and going to try to make a game about picking bad fish off a conveyor belt. It starts with rotten/bad fish, but I plan for it to get increasingly absurd as the game goes on.

Maybe have the game mechanics change drastically at the end as an homage to Battletoads' motorcycle race level. The theme for the jam is "throwback", so my wife and I (she's working on it with me) thought this would hit it from multiple angles.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #8
Deeth Irteen
Darkness is the truth

Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.Deeth Irteen is recognized as being 'cool' by Beavis and Butthead.

We're 1/3rd of the way through the month, folks. How about current wordcounts?

Mine's just over 20,000.

Quote:
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
-Walt Disney
Deeth Irteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Stormy
i like pie

Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeth Irteen View Post
We're 1/3rd of the way through the month, folks. How about current wordcounts?

Mine's just over 20,000.
Well done! Keep it up!
Old 11-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
Garr123
forgiveness buttons

Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.Garr123 remembers EVERYTHING.

Haven't written a damn thing because I got hit with pneumonia like a boss and my head feels like its going to explode. Spent the month rereading An American Rhetoric and Elements of Style.
"At first it just looked like a picture of a bunch of lily pads, but then I started scraping at it with my pocket knife and the whole painting just sort of spoke to me," Schmidt said. "For the first time, I finally understand what Monet was trying to get across in her work."

Last edited by Garr123; 11-11-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Garr123 is offline   Reply With Quote