RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 03-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #21
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild discussion thread

I wouldn't DDoS this guy, but I strongly disagree with his review.

Mostly for quotes like this:

"Now letís talk about stamina.

If youíve ever wanted to spend hours watching a little green circle get progressively less green, this is the game for you! A garish stamina wheel appears whenever Link runs, climbs, swims, or uses his paraglider, and not only is it ugly, itís woefully inefficient to the point where even my fat ass could outrun this easily winded little sack of nothing."
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #22
highwind
Not My Problem

highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like

Literally the only mechanic in the game I don't like is the weapon breaking system. I'm 30+ hours into the game, I absolutely adore it, but I still hate the weapon system. It completely blows.

Last edited by highwind; 03-17-2017 at 09:51 AM.
highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #23
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor

Still been playing BOTW for hours every day since March 3 and have yet to even get close to the castle.

Am I a sycophant or does this game just lack flaws of any kind? I honestly have 0 complaints and feel like every mechanic is even better in practice than theory.

I see why people don't like the fragile weapons, but I feel like most of the game's fun is strictly because of that reason (having to constantly evolve, can't rest on your laurels)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 AM   #24
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

The fragile weapon system generally inclines to me to avoid enemies rather than confront them, which sucks.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #25
highwind
Not My Problem

highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
The fragile weapon system generally inclines to me to avoid enemies rather than confront them, which sucks.
DING DING DING
Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #26
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

I know what you mean. I like the ebb and flow it, though. The feast/famine dynamic it creates is exciting to me. Meaning that when you're loaded up on strong weapons, you can afford to skip over resources to stay alive. But that plethora always runs out and you're forced to resupply.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #27
highwind
Not My Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maijo View Post
I know what you mean. I like the ebb and flow it, though. The feast/famine dynamic it creates is exciting to me. Meaning that when you're loaded up on strong weapons, you can afford to skip over resources to stay alive. But that plethora always runs out and you're forced to resupply.
I'm really glad you can find fun in it. There must be some level of impatience on my part that finds the system tedious rather than compelling.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #28
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maijo View Post
I feel like Dark Cloud, Dying Light, and The Last of Us have prepared me for this mechanic in a Zelda title.

Last edited by Big Rick Cook; 03-21-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Big Rick Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #29
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
I feel like Dark Cloud, Dying Light, and The Last of Us have prepared me for this mechanic in a Zelda title.
Dark Souls 3 changed my opinion on what to expect from a game as well
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 AM   #30
Duel
Donkey Emperor

Duel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealedDuel is hermetically sealed

Oh god the thirst system in Dark Cloud 1.

I've been doing a bunch of sidequests. I think I'm gonna focus on those and shrines before I do any of the major story stuff.

Duel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #31
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duel View Post
Oh god the thirst system in Dark Cloud 1.
Dark Cloud was like an interesting game-length tech demo for Dark Cloud 2 to be the best it could possibly be.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #32
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

I've completed all of the dungeons. Probably put in somewhere like 60+ hours in so far (really wish they had an in-game counter).

Still have tons left to do (on the surface, besides super-secrets) before I tackle the castle itself. I hope I can keep my attention with this particular file held long enough to complete all shrines, koroks, etc. The game grows considerably smaller once you've been everywhere on the map.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #33
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

The difference between TLOUS and Zelda is that most (95%?) of the encounters in TLOU can't be skipped. Whereas, most of the encounters in Zelda can be skipped. Which sort of leaves the feeling that you're avoiding chunks of the game.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #34
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
The difference between TLOUS and Zelda is that most (95%?) of the encounters in TLOU can't be skipped. Whereas, most of the encounters in Zelda can be skipped. Which sort of leaves the feeling that you're avoiding chunks of the game.
There's actually a pretty high percentage of TLoU encounters that can be skipped so long as you don't get caught.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #35
Sampson
Hail Satan

Interesting. Didn't realize that.

At any rate, it has a different feeling to me. BotW sort of gives me Everquest flashbacks in a way, if that makes any sense.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #36
highwind
Not My Problem

"Beat" the game over the weekend. Subsequently spent the next day in awe watching YouTube videos of the many, many things I missed. I am astounded by the depth of this game. You could easily play it for months.

I also found storming Hyrule Castle to be one of the most satisfying moments in gaming for me. The fact that you could take multiple routes made it feel like I was truly on a unique journey - infiltrating the castle - my own way.

*** SPOILERS ***
I ended up getting into the final chamber by climbing up onto roof tops and hang gliding through a crack in a window. Amazing.
*** END SPOILERS ***
Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #37
Biggie
Could get out more

Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...Biggie , I'm real happy for you, And I'ma let you finish, but Beyonce...

Don't get why you feel the need for spoils when you can fight the final boss from the start. I climbed up there after raiding Princess Zelda's bedroom.
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #38
highwind
Not My Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
Don't get why you feel the need for spoils when you can fight the final boss from the start. I climbed up there after raiding Princess Zelda's bedroom.
I didn't use the spoiler for going to Ganon. I used it for how I got there. Which I found so exciting and unique - I didn't want to rob that feeling from someone else.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #39
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

From what little I've experienced at the castle, he's right to use the tags. That's what special about this game. The way you choose to solve problems is so unique, to tell people your strategy would feel like a spoiler.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #40
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

YesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasure
Smile Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild discussion thread

I picked up the Wii U version and I've been having fun. I think this is possibly my first open world game, but probably not.

I'm really enjoying the majestic environment and graphical style. I have noticed some frame rate issues, yet it doesn't happen too often. That being said, I'm extremely surprised the Switch version isn't vastly improved.

The weapon endurance hasn't been so much of an issue for me, I seem to keep getting better items anyway. Most of the time I just optimize what I have and chuck unwanted things away... or some enemy's stupid face!

I do find myself avoiding battles more often than not, or throw bombs from afar. There was this thing I had to do with arrows, so I did so while completely avoiding the baddy near by.

Today I completed Zora's Domain, except for some side quests. Shamefully I consulted a walk through for a certain baddy in a place I won't spoil. However, once I did, the battle became much easier. I probably could've done it without, but I was concerned that I was too under-powered.

This seems to be the nature of fighting in this game, because you can't be sure that you can handle a fight until you're right it the thick of it.

Overall, at this point, I am enjoying the exploration. I wasn't sure I would like not having a "guided adventure", but it's very easy to get immersed.

It's also crazy that I hadn't cooked much of anything until just before that stuff I mentioned above. Cooking is important, but I made due without it.

Last edited by YesterdaysMoose; 03-29-2017 at 09:14 PM.
YesterdaysMoose is offline   Reply With Quote