RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #5081
The_Real_Crunk
Totally Metal

The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like The_Real_Crunk is walking around in the background like
Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

Im still playing Crossout. Lots of fun building madmax cars and trucks.

The_Real_Crunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 PM   #5082
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like

Finally playing Undertale on PS4.

Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:03 AM   #5083
Goyle
keep walking forward

Goyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310oz

It's a very sweet game, Valk, with some very touching messages. Also the soundtrack is possibly my favorite soundtrack from any video game period? It's certainly up there.

EDIT: oh, right, I'm currently invested in a couple private WoW serves a friend of mine dragged me into - one of which has some pretty cool custom character building features, the other is just set to Wrath 3.3.5a. I've also rigged up my phone to emulate psx and I'm going back through Chrono Cross again because I love that insane mess so much.

Last edited by Goyle; 08-29-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Goyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:00 AM   #5084
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
I've dipped into Solo Standard and am doing worse there than in Standard, as far as rankings go. I dug myself back out of Bronze in Standard, finally, and am clawing my way out of Silver I at the moment.

There's three factors that appear to be at play (in order of how much that factor comes into play) in these low ranks now that I've had a few weeks of experience in Ranked.

1. My inexperience and lack of skill at the fundamentals, the advanced maneuvers, teamwork, and the meta of soccer-based rocket car sports
2. Teammates inexperience and lack of skill
3. Ridiculously good players slumming in low Silver and Bronze.

The first one is improving, the second goes back and forth a lot, and the third I have to assume they have either JUST joined the rankings and I was just unfortunate to be in one of their matches, or that they are intentionally keeping their ranking low so they can dominate and wow the rest of us. Their skill level is ridiculously high compared to most people in these low ranks, like they have amazing positioning and can pass or clear every single attempt to get the ball down-pitch. Either with just always being in the exact right spot to block, or pulling off remarkable aerial maneuvers to get in the way of the ball. About every other time their block aims the ball directly at the goal, as well, so they're scoring all the time when it looks like we're about to drive it down to their side.
Yeah man, I hear a lot of complaints about the smurfing problem. I've been playing since the game came out though, and back then even top ranked players would only be like gold or plat level now so I don't think that issue was so prevalent. They may not all be smurfs though... some players may just be having a really good game, and there also lots of mechanically great players with poor game sense that can't cut it at higher levels.

Solo standard is a real crap shoot. There are players down there that could probably climb ranks on competent teams but aren't good enough to consistently carry. I can just say you will climb if you get better.

Quote:
So I'm still having fun with the progression of learning how to deal with all these myriad things that happen in games.

I do have a question for you: Do you swap in and out of Ball Cam regularly, or prefer to stay in one or the other most of the time?
I am in ballcam about 95% of the time. I really just turn off ball cam when rotating back for boost and when I'm dribbling. It can also be wise to turn it off when in net and a ball is rebounding off the backwall that you won't be able to clear easily. This will let you more readily see where your opponents are at and you can better predict where their shot will be coming from. I also use the right analog stick to look around quite a lot as well while keeping ballcam on. Typically I use that to look for teammates; either for passes, or to verify if a teammate is coming up to make a clear or if I need to make a play on the ball. Avoiding two people going for the same ball is probably the number one way to prevent getting scored on.

The rest of the problems you refer to I can just say will pass with time and practice. When you're referring to the shadow of the ball, do you mean the white indicator that is on the ground?

Last edited by Caciss; 08-29-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Caciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #5085
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caciss View Post
I am in ballcam about 95% of the time. I really just turn off ball cam when rotating back for boost and when I'm dribbling. It can also be wise to turn it off when in net and a ball is rebounding off the backwall that you won't be able to clear easily. This will let you more readily see where your opponents are at and you can better predict where their shot will be coming from. I also use the right analog stick to look around quite a lot as well while keeping ballcam on. Typically I use that to look for teammates; either for passes, or to verify if a teammate is coming up to make a clear or if I need to make a play on the ball. Avoiding two people going for the same ball is probably the number one way to prevent getting scored on.

The rest of the problems you refer to I can just say will pass with time and practice. When you're referring to the shadow of the ball, do you mean the white indicator that is on the ground?
This makes me feel better about how I've been using Ballcam, thanks. I do a lot of camera shifting (with analog stick) to try and get a feel for the field, but it's definitely something that takes getting used to when having to reorient to the ball.

And yeah, I mean the white indicator on the ground for shadow. I understand what it does, I just don't have a lot of experience with gauging myself and hitting the ball from underneath. Mostly I feel like that's a thing I probably shouldn't be doing most of the time, because it rarely if ever works out. There's always someone jetting from across the field to tag the ball while I'm waiting for the right time to jump and hit it.

Most recently what I've been trying to do is make sure I always have at least 30-40% boost, because there's no worse feeling to me than "I could have been in position if I'd just had some boost". Even if I couldn't execute from that position because of other skill issues, at least I'd be where I know I need to be.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #5086
Stormy
i like pie

Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.Stormy won't give up the rotary phone.

Just found this Pokemon-like game called EvoCreo. It innovates on the Pokemon formula in ways I wish the real deal would.

Instead of cryptic IV values, Creo have a 1-10 rank that is visible in battle, so you know whether you want to capture a specific creo.

Some creo evolve when they're Affinity with an element is maxed out. Affinity is increased by using moves of that element. These creo typically have an evolution for every element. For instance, all the starters are Normals that have evolutions for all alignments. They're like Eevee, but without the rocks. (The normals are differentiated in that one is Offense focused, another Defense focused, and the third is a balance.)

There's a toggle in the creo info screen to disable that creo from evolving, instead of having to cancel the evolution every level, which is a nice quality of life improvement.

Honestly, the only thing I feel it's missing is breeding, which feels like a pretty glaring omission in this day and age.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #5087
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.

The ongoing adventures of Rocket League!

Solo Standard is the biggest ****show and I hate it. I can't get out of Bronze 2 despite being Silver 2 in Standard and Silver 3 in Doubles. Solo Duel is a crapshoot where I win one lose one pretty much constantly.

I've definitely gotten a lot better at clearing in useful directions and goalkeeping, but I have a lot of situational enemy reading to do. I am consistently out maneuvered in Solo and am working on gauging where and how hard they're going to hit it based on what I'm doing, and even that has improved.

Hardest thing is getting into a defensive position to stop the advance but not giving up the defensive positioning by sending myself flying halfway across the field with no easy way down.

I'm kinda pinning my hopes on Doubles right now to get to Gold.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #5088
H2SO4
H2SO4

H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.

I've recently dug out my 3DS and discovered the Monster Hunter franchise, and have been bouncing between MH4U and the newly released MH:S. Both are surprisingly solid games that I'm surprised I never discovered before. I am especially impressed by how deep MH4U is, and can now see why they have accumulated such a strong following.
H2SO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #5089
RPGMakerConsoleFan101
One-Eyed Dragon of Oshu

RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is a glorious beacon of light

Monster Hunter is a really good series in my opinion. You should try Devil Kings (PS2), and Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (PS3, and Wii).
RPGMakerConsoleFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #5090
H2SO4
H2SO4

H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.H2SO4 should consider running for president of the astronauts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMakerConsoleFan101 View Post
Monster Hunter is a really good series in my opinion. You should try Devil Kings (PS2), and Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (PS3, and Wii).
Unfortunately I don't own a PS2/PS3/Wii anymore!
H2SO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #5091
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

Tried a few matches of PUBG. I understand why people like it, but I don't think it's for me. It's just too boring. I don't really like stealth or sniper games, though.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #5092
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spite

Been playing Destiny 2 and I'm enjoying it so far. The combat is pretty enjoyable and the campaign is a lot better than the first one. There is actually some clear goal to achieve. And there are lots of new guns to blast things away with. Still not a big fan of the grenade launchers, but the exotic one called The Prospector is pretty fun to use. A full auto grenade launcher is a blast to use.

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #5093
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
Tried a few matches of PUBG. I understand why people like it, but I don't think it's for me. It's just too boring. I don't really like stealth or sniper games, though.
I don't play solo, only squads with my friends. Much more fun in squads.
Mcardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #5094
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcardy View Post
I don't play solo, only squads with my friends. Much more fun in squads.
I was playing with friends. It's always fun to play with people you know, but there are many other games out there that facilitate that. And in fact, PUBG is not that much of a team game compared to something like Overwatch or Rocket League, etc.

The core gameplay loop seems to be:
  1. Run/sneak around looking for loot.
  2. Spend time in menus juggling your inventory
  3. See another team in the distance. Snipe them.
  4. Get sniped by another team.
  5. Rinse and repeat until the match ends or you die.

It has this great level of tension to it, but I just don't find it very engaging or fun, really. The amount of action is relatively low. In a 15-20 minute match, there might only be 2-3 minutes of actual combat. Also seems to be very luck-driven, although being a good sniper is clearly advantageous.

Last edited by Sampson; 09-11-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #5095
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

Quote:
I was playing with friends. It's always fun to play with people you know, but there are many other games out there that facilitate that. And in fact, PUBG is not that much of a team game compared to something like Overwatch or Rocket League, etc.

The core gameplay loop seems to be:
  1. Run/sneak around looking for loot.
  2. Spend time in menus juggling your inventory
  3. See another team in the distance. Snipe them.
  4. Get sniped by another team.
  5. Rinse and repeat until the match ends or you die.

It has this great level of tension to it, but I just don't find it very engaging or fun, really. The amount of action is relatively low. In a 15-20 minute match, there might only be 2-3 minutes of actual combat. Also seems to be very luck-driven, although being a good sniper is clearly advantageous.
I totally get it's not for everyone, but I'd say it being slow and "luck based" is just a product of not having enough experience with the game to take fights and play aggressive while being successful.

Stuff like "inventory management" gets so efficient once you know what everything is, it stops becoming intrusive and things get faster from that point. I'm slow at looting compared to my friends but they've also put hundreds of more hours into the game than I have.

That said, if it wasn't initially fun for you, probably not worth the effort to "get gud". I struggled a lot for about 15 hours before I felt competent enough to know what I was doing and having any sort of game sense.

---

Either way, I'm playing FF Tactics when I have some time and it's kind of crazy how difficult the game can be when you don't sit around grinding up JP.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #5096
Sampson
Hail Satan

I've only played it a few hours so I won't pretend to be an expert, but it definitely feels a lot more luck-based than other competitive shooters. If you land near a spot with good gear or not. If you land near a spot with a lot of other teams or not. If the circle closes in on you, or if you have to sprint across the map, etc. All of these things seem completely out of your control as a player, and everything else being equal, would set a team up for success or failure.

Last edited by Sampson; 09-11-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #5097
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Quote:
I've only played it a few hours so I won't pretend to be an expert, but it definitely feels a lot more luck-based than other competitive shooters. If you land near a spot with good gear or not. If you land near a spot with a lot of other teams or not. If the circle closes in on you, or if you have to sprint across the map, etc. All of these things seem completely out of your control as a player, and everything else being equal, would set a team up for success or failure.
Right, I understand. Like I said, it took me at least 15 hours + reading information about the game to understand a lot of stuff about it.

For instance, loot is only somewhat randomized, and the Tier 2/3 loot levels always have a higher % to appear in the same locations:

You can watch people bailing out of the plane and adjust where you want to land accordingly. (And go into First Person to see how many people are left to jump) If you notice a lot of people around you, you can definitely look up into the sky and just drift to a different location once you get comfortable with the parachute.

The Gas Circle is definitely (somewhat) random, but there's a lot of vehicles around the map so you just need to pay attention and have the awareness to know when you need to bail to reach the safe zone.

One of the things we like to do as a squad is land near a popular marker and then pick off people who grabbed all the good loot. For instance, the 'BL' hospital in the image above always has tons of people land by it. Nobody (usually) ever drops immediately to the northwest so we always loot those houses and wait for players to come out and engage them. I get a lot of people don't really look that kind of information up, but design decisions in the game make those choices more strategic than they may seem to an initial player who doesn't know what's going on.

There have also been a few games where we have had to run across the map due to vehicles being taken and ended up winning after being poorly looted. Nobody expects people to show up behind them after a certain stage of the gas which is extremely advantageous.

Like you said earlier, though, the tension of the game is really great. I definitely get people can think it's slow for their tastes, especially as someone who played a lot of H1Z1 KOTK before going to PUBG--it is a slower burn.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #5098
Sampson
Hail Satan

That's good info, thanks. I'll probably continue to play it off and on because a lot of people I know are really into it.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:32 AM   #5099
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1370150778

Gold in Doubles, yo. Fair amount of being carried, but it is in large part to just how bad games can go in Bronze and Silver. Solo I have been clawing my way out of Bronze I, but this is where most of the outmaneuvering happens and is probably where I am learning the most about how to have aggressive but defensive playstyle. Losses are fine in Solo, as I am not too worried about my rank there.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #5100
Chad
Goes down smooth

Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.Chad has the memory of an elephant... with brain damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
I've also rigged up my phone to emulate psx and I'm going back through Chrono Cross again because I love that insane mess so much.
Want to make it more insane? Name the hero Lynx at the start of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
Been playing Destiny 2 and I'm enjoying it so far. The combat is pretty enjoyable and the campaign is a lot better than the first one. There is actually some clear goal to achieve. And there are lots of new guns to blast things away with. Still not a big fan of the grenade launchers, but the exotic one called The Prospector is pretty fun to use. A full auto grenade launcher is a blast to use.
I rented it for a night this weekend (free Redbox rental.) It feels like the same Destiny except finished. I put a lot of hours into the first and stopped when they released the expansions (because they basically made Crucible useless to people who didn't have them and I was morally put off.) This was a welcome refreshment, but I don't think I could possibly justify spending real money on this game. It just feels too familiar. Maybe it's what they pack into the first few planets? I DID enjoy the crest mode in Crucible. A welcome change from Deathmatch and Capture, but I can't just choose to play it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1370150778

Gold in Doubles, yo. Fair amount of being carried, but it is in large part to just how bad games can go in Bronze and Silver. Solo I have been clawing my way out of Bronze I, but this is where most of the outmaneuvering happens and is probably where I am learning the most about how to have aggressive but defensive playstyle. Losses are fine in Solo, as I am not too worried about my rank there.
Dude, that's no small feat. I honestly feel like doubles on PS4 is WAY harder to rank up than any of the PC playlists, and most of the other PS4 competitive playlists. (I play on PS4 and PC.) On PC (and I play with a PS4 controller) in all of my placement matches I ended up in platinum. On PS4, I placed starting in Gold 1. I finally just crawled my way back to Platinum 2 three weeks after one single night where I played drunk and dropped to Gold 2.

(It probably doesn't help that I throw games if people say racist / offensive stuff or act too toxic.)

The thing that I've realized is that it's far less about how AWESOME you are as a player, and more about how well you can mesh with your partner's play style. It's really hard to imagine someone being carried EVERY match enough to get to the higher ranks. Sometimes people get so ****** when you miss their pass, but their pass was really awkward to you. Or maybe they are far more reckless and basically EXPECTING that you're back in the net guarding against the fact that they go way too hard when they don't have a chance. And some people live and breath by exact 1 to 1 rotation of hitting the ball. Or maybe you're just terrible at clearing it, but great at saving it.

Point is, duh, try to find a groove with your rando partner. My passes are sub-par and I'd prefer to shoot, but if I see them get in position and they tend to be way better in the air, I'll just keep lobbing them up. If they keep trying dribble shots (and get any of them in) I'll try to stick back, play defense, and feed them again. (Or shoot the inevitable block turned scoring opportunity.)

"Couch co-op is the only true co-op." Richard of the Cooks.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote