RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 09-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #4041
John Mora
WOO!

John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like
Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

You can do that anyways if you use the cheats built in to the PC port~
John Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #4042
dragaron
Dragon + Aaron = Dragaron

dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.dragaron is full of 40 different essential vitamins and minerals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcardy View Post
...Think I'm going to take an RPG break and play Dishonored though since its been sitting here and its only like 10 hours long.
Good pick. I enjoyed that one, for some reason. Game mechanics were interesting enough to keep my attention, and I thought the length was perfect. It should prove functional as a respite.
dragaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #4043
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
Do yourself a favor if you play VIII. Do not read about the ways to utterly break the combat system, cause you can do it almost immediately. With about two hour's worth of prep on the front end you can make the entire game's fighting completely inconsequential.
Now that I'm older, I like to play RPGs to figure out the battle system and try to get "good" at building a team. So I wouldn't want to anyway.

When I was younger, it was all about the story and the world and the immersion. Now it's all about the stats. $$$$$$
Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #4044
Blankxx000
Pavilionite

Blankxx000 is a fairly shiny person.

There is definitely a different approach people take to games between chilhood and manhood. You start with the story when you're a child and are amazed by how deep it seems but once you get older, you get tired of the stories and are more interested in the strategic part of it.

Last edited by Blankxx000; 09-08-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Blankxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #4045
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor

Yeah for the same reason I can never get the same thrill out of Harvest Moon, my hands-down favorite game. Nowadays when I play I really hone in on how to get the most production out of my farm, wheres back in the day I focused more on just pretending I was a farmer and simulating life
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #4046
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
Do yourself a favor if you play VIII. Do not read about the ways to utterly break the combat system, cause you can do it almost immediately. With about two hour's worth of prep on the front end you can make the entire game's fighting completely inconsequential.
I think any remotely intelligent person figured that out the second they were introduced the to the Junction tutorial. I've been putting off FF8 simply because that game is stupidly EZ if you let your intelligence get the better of you.

Sorry man, but I'm gonna Draw 100 of each new magic every time it pops up. It's quite idiotic to expect the player to not do that.

Who seriously is "ah, I got 14 Cures, I'll be a'ight"

Nobody. With no MP everyone's default thought is "OH CRAP I NEED 100 CURES"

EDIT: It also makes people NOT cast spells because they "weaken" their characters. Concept good, but implementation utterly terrible.'

EDIT2: Also I don't want to sit through 52838 hours of GF animations. The Grandia 2 FMV for each offensive spell was enough. Let me skip it. -_- Sure, this was cutting edge back then, but c'mon...

That is the problem with FF8...which as we discussed earlier is hilarious when they were surprised at the same problem of FF12. (no one diversifying their LP)

Last edited by Mcardy; 09-09-2015 at 02:36 AM.
Mcardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:40 AM   #4047
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcardy View Post
Sorry man, but I'm gonna Draw 100 of each new magic every time it pops up. It's quite idiotic to expect the player to not do that.

Who seriously is "ah, I got 14 Cures, I'll be a'ight"

Nobody. With no MP everyone's default thought is "OH CRAP I NEED 100 CURES"
Yeah, but that's time-consuming and a soulless grind.

You can also just keep a dead level 5 Selfie in your party at her minimum level, get Diablos as soon as you can, learn his No Encounters ability, and skip pretty much all combat since you won't need it.

You can also abuse the **** out of Shiva and Ifrit's GF Card abilities and give yourself access to some crazy good magic for junctioning before you ever even fight the mechanical spider.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:09 AM   #4048
Funk
Bake Sale of the Year

Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like

I can smell it when people are discussing FFVIII from miles away. I'm a ****ing vulture in that respect.

*hums the Triple Triad tune on his way back out of the topic*
Old 09-09-2015, 05:19 AM   #4049
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.Hrafn wears matching socks despite waking in the dark.

Just sold a players' guide for this game, but flipping through it beforehand made me realize how thankful I am that I was spared delving into this emofest, despite buying it twice.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #4050
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

I think FFVIII is an amazing game and am really hopeful of the similar European architecture cues that FFXV seems to be taking with its world design

8)

also why would you ever summon a gf if you're already junctioning 100 of every spell.

why would you draw 100 of every spell if you can't sit through gf summoning.

FFVIII (and really, any FF), is easy enough that you can play through the game and see all it has to offer other than the side bosses with a minimal amount of tedium. Especially since FFVIII barely even has any dungeons. When I was a kid I got to the final castle without even building another weapon, or even doing card stuff.

Last edited by DK; 09-09-2015 at 09:42 AM.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #4051
Funk
Bake Sale of the Year

Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like Funk is walking around in the background like

I almost preferred the tedium of drawing to encountering any more cringe-worthy plot points or characters in FFVIII. It kept me away from them for awhile.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #4052
Blankxx000
Pavilionite

People were talking about how to break ff8's combat system and i was utterly clueless. Then someone said its getting 100 of everything and i was thinking "ahhh". I always grinded to 100 for one because it made the stuff more powerful and two, because i like maxing out my items. Not sure how it breaks the combat though but i didnt finish the game. I stopped at the 2nd disk or 3rd disk i think.

I got tired of changing characters with the dream characters all the time and having to re-equip all the guys like ifrit and shiva.

Last edited by Blankxx000; 09-09-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #4053
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK View Post
FFVIII (and really, any FF), is easy enough that you can play through the game and see all it has to offer other than the side bosses with a minimal amount of tedium. Especially since FFVIII barely even has any dungeons. When I was a kid I got to the final castle without even building another weapon, or even doing card stuff.
1 and original 4 (the Japanese version on FF Chronicles) are pretty difficult games if you don't spend hours grinding. 2 is also sort of hard, but a terrible, terrible game that no one should ever play.
Sampson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #4054
Blankxx000
Pavilionite

I played one and two on the psp. Didn't notice the difficulty but also don't know what makes two a bad game. I never watched reviews of them. My main complaint of them was they were a bit short.

Edit:
My bad. You said one and four not one and two. Four was with that knight that by the order of his king, destroyed an innocent town, right?

Last edited by Blankxx000; 09-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #4055
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

ah, yeah I've only played IV and V of the oldbies. I spoke outta turn I guess. Don't have the patience to play a game like FF1 nowadays. Same with Phantasy Star 2 sadly :[

Who's got the time! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend 5 hours and about 40 deaths getting through a level with a par time of fifteen minutes on Halo 2~

Last edited by DK; 09-09-2015 at 02:04 PM.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #4056
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK View Post
ah, yeah I've only played IV and V of the oldbies. I spoke outta turn I guess. Don't have the patience to play a game like FF1 nowadays. Same with Phantasy Star 2 sadly :[

Who's got the time! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend 5 hours and about 40 deaths getting through a level with a par time of fifteen minutes on Halo 2~
Yeah but Halo is a bit less repetitve than walking in a circle around a town for 2 hours fighting the same enemies over and over again to level up.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #4057
John Mora
WOO!

John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like

Phantasy Star II is so goddamn unfair, but the experience, I feel, ended up being worth it~

FFVI is super easy and a great ride, though. I definitely recommend it.
John Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #4058
Funk
Bake Sale of the Year

FFVI is simply the best. Better than all the rest.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #4059
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

FFVI is the best when you only let one character equip a particular Esper. Game is so easy, its super fun when not everyone has the same spells and you actually take people in your party based on what magic they have for the situation.

I'm playing FFXII and I think a lot of the bad design decisions in XIII were an overly sensitive response to the vocal haters of XII. I love the "MMO-esque" combat and the gambit system. I don't need damn loading screens every battle and manually hitting attack every time my ATB comes up. I think the Paradigms were supposed to be a medium between the two and while interesting...made it kind of feel like the game played itself some times.

Playing it through my DVD drive with a PS2 emulator since my sister has the only working PS2. Upscaled this bad boy to 720p (1080p is crazy taxing) and the game still looks pretty damn good for almost being 10 years old.

Last edited by Mcardy; 09-09-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #4060
Blankxx000
Pavilionite

I didn't understand why ff12 was hated. My only complaint with it was the main character is whiney and effeminate (but also are all final fantasy games) and it costs too much money if you want to buy everything at each point in the game including all gambits. I liked the side missions and the lack of random encounters and the license system seemed cool.

Last edited by Blankxx000; 09-09-2015 at 09:50 PM.