RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #3041
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like
Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

I have no problem with story. Too many cinemas can drag a Zelda game down. Unless they feature Groose or Midna.

Last edited by Valkysas; 02-02-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #3042
Czechs Mex
moof

Czechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at nightCzechs Mex wears their sunglasses at night

I might as well preach to the choir and say that I also really loved A Link Between Worlds. I beat the game and got all the heart containers and "nice" items, but there's still space for one additional mystery item. I'm guessing I'll get it from either: (1) completing all the shadow Link challenges, or (2) beating the game in Hero mode. (If you know how to get it, please don't tell me. :3)

Speaking of Hero mode, I wish they would make that option available from the beginning. I don't really want to play through again if greater enemy damage is the only difference, but would have loved a greater challenge the first time around.

Edit: actually, it would be pretty cool if games were better at dynamically adjusting their difficulty based on your performance. If standardized tests can do it, why not games?

Last edited by Czechs Mex; 02-03-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Czechs Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #3043
John Mora
WOO!

John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like John Mora is walking around in the background like

Because then people complain about the game having the same difficulty all the way through, a la Oblivion.
John Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #3044
highwind
Not My Problem

highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechs Mex View Post

Speaking of Hero mode, I wish they would make that option available from the beginning. I don't really want to play through again if greater enemy damage is the only difference, but would have loved a greater challenge the first time around.

Edit: actually, it would be pretty cool if games were better at dynamically adjusting their difficulty based on your performance. If standardized tests can do it, why not games?
I have a friend that refuses to buy the game new because he only wants to play it on hero mode. So he wants to buy a completed copy.

I wonder how many Zelda nerds feel this way?

I mean the game IS ridiculously easy the first time through.
highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #3045
Kire
master of nothing

Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like

Your friend have any luck? I'm done with mine.
Kire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #3046
TheHonorableRyu
Face it straight!

TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.TheHonorableRyu likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechs Mex View Post
Good idea. Actually a lot of Nintendo games could benefit from difficulty settings. I hate when Mario Kart punishes skill with bad items and rewards lack of skill with good items. Smash Bros Brawl alienated some competitive players because Nintendo purposely dumbed things down from Melee. Etc.
TheHonorableRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #3047
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

I got AssCreed 4 off Amazon for 50% off, been playing through it. Sailing really adds a whole new dynamic to it, a hell of a lot better than AC3.
Mcardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #3048
Kire
master of nothing

Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like Kire is walking around in the background like

I beat Tearaway. What a fantastic little game. Super charming.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #3049
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

I finally started playing The Last Of Us -- or the best current arguement for AAA game development.

Great prologue chapter--intro with docks is kinda bland but really excited to see where it all goes.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #3050
Kire
master of nothing

I beat Octodad 2 and it was a lot of fun, if a bit short and buggy at times. I think my next indie game I'll be playing is Kentucky Route Zero.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #3051
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

Anyone play TLoU DLC?
Sampson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #3052
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spite

I've been real tempted to buy it, but I'm more tempted to eat.

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #3053
Perversion
Girl Licker

Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like

I'm still on Diablo. Nearly done with Act 3 using my alt (a Demon Hunter) on Master V difficulty (which is the equivalent of the highest enemy level difficulty setting on PC). She's such a badass that Master III was not a challenge. And difficulty goes from Easy, Normal, Hard, and then Master I through Master V.

I'm thinking of making her my main instead of my monk.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #3054
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
Anyone play TLoU DLC?
Probably a "this weekend" kind of venture for me.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #3055
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

I like The Last Of Us. A lot. I love the direction behind its vocal work. I love the characters introduced. I love the promise of a crazy ass climax it has to hold. I love the variety of locales! Its pacing is pretty much perfect, it always gives you something to do. I mentioned restraint in another thread just now, I like how there's restraint in this game. I can walk into an area, see a bunch of potential chest high walls and what happens? Nothing. No drawn out endless gun fights. And the fights that are there give you arenas designed well enough that you can typically size up the place and plan ahead a bit (alright I'll throw a nail bomb that way and then I can...) The game knows when to let you breath, and where to lead you for the most part.

But, man. **** partner AI. We still have work to do in this field. Ellie will climb ladders when I walk past t hem despite the fact that I need to go somewhere else with that same ladder, she'll be in the way in chokepoints when I'm trying to run from combat. There are choppy partner AI related animations and points where I leave her behind and she just pops up after (very Friday the 13th) Its not a cardinal sin, but it does pull me out of the experience a lot, which is a bummer.

I have to make the comparison because I said playing this game would likely change my opinion of the other game; but I actually think that so far I liked Tomb Raider '13 better than this game. That's not to take away from Last Of Us, and I still need to finish it and I think the game will show me many more tricks before the end. People complain about the narrative dissonance and **** in that game, but is it really anymore than "HEY BOOKER HERE'S SOME CASH" after something big happens and the first kill on game load always eliciting the same "holy ****, Joel"? I think TR kind of knew what it wanted to be and focused on it just a touch more. And very wisely kept partner AI out.

That said, TLOU is a game I want to experience again. Tomb Raider was a one and done.

I dunno, I do love both games~

Last edited by DK; 02-19-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #3056
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.Big Rick Cook rode the walrus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamknight View Post
No drawn out endless gun fights. And the fights that are there give you arenas designed well enough that you can typically size up the place and plan ahead a bit (alright I'll throw a nail bomb that way and then I can...)

But, man. **** partner AI.
Point the first: I dunno how far along you are, but there were two arenas in the game that I struggled with for longer than I felt they should have taken, and both of them were because of the difficulty spiking so drastically on account of how the game really doesn't reward that style of play only to shoehorn the style of play in. I ended up having to do a very specific set of actions in the second one, in a very particular order, timed just right, in order to live through the damn thing. Otherwise I'd just get whittled down bit by bit while I was frantically scrambling around, or my AI partner would die while I was kiting things.

Point the second: I remember one or two places where partner AI was a pain, but for the most part Ellie and the other people you have following along are non-intrusive to the stealth experience, even when they should be. I agree that it pulls you out of the experience, which is unfortunate.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #3057
Perversion
Girl Licker

Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like

To your point one, I mentioned this is the TLoU thread, but the *** SPOILERS ***
boss fight in the school
*** END SPOILERS ***
did take me completely out of the experience. I think I audibly ugh-ed when I saw what was being set up, because now I was playing a game again, with all the same game design rules and mechanics that go along with that. Other than a very, very minor annoyance at the "game-y" elements of the ladders and such, the rest of the game felt so seamless, like I was not thinking about game design at all. It was an experience. But the spoilered stuff above made me feel like I was playing a standard third person action game again. Ugh.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #3058
DK

Does nothing like that happen again? Cause I'm already past that point and I didn't think it was bad or anything but yeah, looking back on it I'm surprised I didn't notice how typical it was.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #3059
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

It's a beautiful game. One of my top 10 of all time.

But I sold my copy. Can someone hurry up and beat the DLC and tell me if it's worth repurchasing the game for it?
Sampson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #3060
Kire
master of nothing

I played through the first 2 acts of Kentucky Route Zero. I...don't know quite what I think yet.