RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Free Forum

Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #3261
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.
Re: In this thread, we talk about films

Breathless is more pointless and empty than Michael Bay could ever dream of achieving. It's so drawn out and high on its own importance that watching it is just plain painful. I really might prefer to watch The Pacifier again before this one, even though it is just Suburban Commando with a far crappier script.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #3262
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.

I saw Blade Runner 2049 during the weekend. It was good overall, but fell far short of the original in terms of depth. Jared Leto's blind Cyborg-techno-Jesus was delightfully creepy and babbles pseudo-intellectual nonsense while behaving more like a replicant is expected to behave than an actual replicant. The movie leaves a lot more questions than answers, probably deliberately, in order to force a sequel that hopefully at minimum meets the standard of "not poop" as this sequel to the original managed to do.

For those who don't care about spoilers, here's some highlights:

*** SPOILERS ***
-1 extra douchebaggy, super-creepy, Cyber-techno-Jesus, played by Jared Leto
-Hologram sex!
-You get to see a nearly-dead Earth
-Major locations visited include rural California, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Las Vegas
-People subsist almost exclusively on GMO worms farmed for protein and GMO processed food
-The entire meaning of the film changes based on what your opinion is on Deckard's status as a human or a replicant

*** END SPOILERS ***

Sadly, there was no facehugger cuteness present, but that's forgivable.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #3263
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

I don't think Blade Runner is that great of a movie. It nails the atmosphere and the visuals, but it's pretty boring, and the philosophy isn't as smart as people make it out to be.

I think 2049 is a better film, but still wasn't all that great.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #3264
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.Hrafn all night long.

Inclined to agree about the first one. It’s not horribly overrated, but it is overrated. It had some good writing, but it’s an adapted work so go much credit can they even take for that?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #3265
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Most people conflate Blade Runner's greatness with its influence. It's a good movie, I'd even call it a great movie in some respects, but its main claim is that has been influential in genre filmmaking just as much as the Star Wars movies were influential.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #3266
highwind
Not My Problem

highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like

I looooooooooooved Blade Runner 2049.

So astoundingly beautiful.
highwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #3267
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
I don't think Blade Runner is that great of a movie. It nails the atmosphere and the visuals, but it's pretty boring, and the philosophy isn't as smart as people make it out to be.
It's not the philosophy that drew me to the film, but the attention to detail and effort placed with regard to making the film's world seem believable. In regard to this quality, few movies match it to this day. Its atmosphere and visuals are actual substance, and not just flash. Like George Miller's Mad Max films, every character and object has a backstory, most of which go untold in explicit terms during the course of the film but are consistent with every last detail in the written screenplay as well as what happens on screen.

I can't say for sure or not whether 2049 had that level of detail because I haven't done enough research on it, but what I've seen wasn't disappointing.

The philosophy of the 1st film was universal and can be found in a lot of fiction. Now if it touched upon the more esoteric and erratic qualities of Philip K. Dick's work(Mercerism, mood organs, J.F. Isodore's hallucinations, ect) instead of butchering the story and character roster, I'd have a lot more respect for the film's philosophical themes, but the films never came close to the book in that area.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:11 AM   #3268
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

I'm not familiar with the source material, so I can't comment on that, but I think Blade Runner fails as an actual movie. It has more value as a series of images, like a music video or something. I really enjoy the subtle subversion of the Japanese influence on future America, for example. But the acting, the plot (or lack thereof), the non-existent romance that is actually the center of the story..none of it really works. Even stuff people praise, like the Tears in Rain speech -- I just don't get the draw. It's not really engaging or entertaining in any way for me.

In terms of early 80s dystopian science fiction, I'd put Escape From New York ahead of it. Like BR, it's more of a atmosphere film. It's much less pretty, but more entertaining.

Last edited by Sampson; 10-12-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #3269
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the source material, so I can't comment on that, but I think Blade Runner fails as an actual movie. It has more value as a series of images, like a music video or something. I really enjoy the subtle subversion of the Japanese influence on future America, for example. But the acting, the plot (or lack thereof), the non-existent romance that is actually the center of the story..none of it really works. Even stuff people praise, like the Tears in Rain speech -- I just don't get the draw. It's not really engaging or entertaining in any way for me.

In terms of early 80s dystopian science fiction, I'd put Escape From New York ahead of it. Like BR, it's more of a atmosphere film. It's much less pretty, but more entertaining.
Agreed. Escape was definitely a more entertaining movie. Though it sounds like Blade Runner has the better sequel.

I forgot about the mood organs, Toe. Although they would have been hard to do onscreen without potentially being hokey. Like his admittedly goofy story titles, a lot of Dick’s stuff was hard to directly port over without some monkeying.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #3270
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor

I've been watching Stephen King films for the month.

So far I watched:

Salem's Lot: Very good. Genuinely scary at parts, especially the dead boy floating by window (didn't realize that trope came from this series). Stayed hooked for the full 3 hours.

The Dead Zone: I didn't love it, but I did enjoy it a bit. Christopher Walken does a great job with the role. Didn't really like the way this one ends. Feels kind of hokey.

Coming up next will probably be, in no particular order, Carrie, Children of the Corn, and Christine. The 3 C's.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #3271
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

Quote:
the plot (or lack thereof)
All of your points are relevant to the film for sure, but the source material was something totally different. The plot, OTOH, is actually intricate in this film as far as films go. It unfolds sort of like a generic mystery novel, and doesn't leave a whole lot of loose ends.
I'd recommend enabling subtitles if you didn't take in all of the dialogue upon previous viewings, because in spite of the synthetic music overpowering the words spoken by the characters, the words are in fact there and a lot is said that further reveals what the characters are doing as well as the grim world that this film is set in.

Quote:
Escape From New York was a great film as well. Kojima was inspired by it for a lot of good reasons.

The 1980s saw the emergence of a lot of dystopian and post-apocalyptic science fiction films. Some of the most creative and interesting of them are also some of the worst movies ever made.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #3272
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like

I never liked the original Blade Runner either, and I actually read DADOES and didn't find it really all that great either. MAYBE JUST NOT FOR ME.
Caciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #3273
highwind
Not My Problem

highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like highwind is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caciss View Post
I never liked the original Blade Runner either, and I actually read DADOES and didn't find it really all that great either. MAYBE JUST NOT FOR ME.
I...kinda feel like you should still go see 2049.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #3274
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like

It'll have to wait until it becomes available to stream.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #3275
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poorMaijo feeds sandals to the poor

Quote:
It'll have to wait until it becomes available to stream.
I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think the drawing factor for Blade Runner is the cinematography and sound design. Might not have quite the same effect as in the cinema
Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #3276
highwind
Not My Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maijo View Post
I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think the drawing factor for Blade Runner is the cinematography and sound design. Might not have quite the same effect as in the cinema
Yep definitely. The theater is recommended unless you have a really sweet home setup.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #3277
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spiteJamos ate 15 spider-man cake decorations out of spite

I, for one, didn't really care too much for Blade Runner but there are definitely some movies that has an experience that can't be felt out of the theater. I remember when I was little I went to see Jurassic Park. There has yet to be a movie that had the same impact for me, on the big screen. As I saw the rippling of the water, I could feel the footsteps of the approaching T-Rex. Sure, different type of movie and all of that but my point is that is probably might be better to see that movie on the big screen. I might give it a shot myself.

Speaking of movies, I went to see the movie "It" a couple of weeks ago. I had been looking forward to this movie and it didn't disappoint. Pennywise is as scary as ever and the movie gets pretty intense. I think this movie came out at probably the best time that it could. Stranger Things gave audiences a certain nostalgia and a crazing for something they didn't even know they had. Not to mention the whole creepy clown fad that has become a thing again. But yeah, "It" was a solid fun and terrifying romp. I will definitely get the movie when it is released on Blu-Ray.

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #3278
Caciss
hates everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maijo View Post
I'm not trying to be an ass but oh well lol.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #3279
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Quote:
I'm not trying to be an ass but oh well lol.
I know you weren't, my man. I was just letting you know that I heard from a few people that this might be one of those movies best seen on the big boy

Good example of this: I heard from everyone to see AVATAR in 3D, but I still didn't trust it at that point. Saw it in theaters, but standard. Regret that decision still to this day

Last edited by Maijo; 10-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Maijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #3280
Garr123
forgiveness buttons

Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Garr123 discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.

The entire appeal of Blade Runner is the aesthetics: its the definition of a film you can watch with the sound off. It's absolutely gorgeous even 40 years on and, in my opinion, there aren't many films that are still a wonder to look at after so much time has passed. Off the top of my head: Barry Lyndon, The Duellists, and maybe Days of Heaven. None of those are special effects heavy science fiction films and their appearance is achieved through old fashioned camera techniques (or a bat**** shooting schedule with Days of Heaven.) It also defined the cultural hodgepodge and visual appearance of cyberpunk in a lot of ways.

I can't think of anyone who loves Blade Runner for its story. It's wafer-thin noir with sprinkling of existentialism.

Quote:
I heard from everyone to see AVATAR in 3D, but I still didn't trust it at that point. Saw it in theaters, but standard. Regret that decision still to this day
I saw Avatar in 3D back in the day. I wasn't that impressed and my girlfriend at the time spent the entire ride home making fun of it, so I don't think you missed anything.
"At first it just looked like a picture of a bunch of lily pads, but then I started scraping at it with my pocket knife and the whole painting just sort of spoke to me," Schmidt said. "For the first time, I finally understand what Monet was trying to get across in her work."

Last edited by Garr123; 10-17-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Garr123 is offline   Reply With Quote