RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > Game Forums > Ursus Games

Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #21
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like
Re: Ursus Quest: 'Shadow of the Towers' - Walkthrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
I just started the game over with Brogan, Duggan, and Karl...
You got rid of Joseph...and Aratos? LOL!! Those are arguaby the most versatile, and the most powerful characters (in that order) in the game. Did you expect them to be uber godlike from the beginning? Well I designed it to suit a lot of tastes, so if you like it that way then that's great. Joseph is the one who learns skills from enemies, but Karl is equally useful, I guess. They both have healing, revive, attack, status up, and status down skills, but Joseph's special thing is that you can run from any non-boss battle as long as he's in your battle party. Karl has something too though...NONE of his skills require any points of any kind. He's also the only character who can revive MP, and since you still have Brogan and Troy, that's still an issue for you.

Karl learns the skill Chakra, which restores HP/MP eventually (I forget which level, sorry. I need to use that character sheet maker! ), and Brogan learns Quantum Rain (heal-all +120) at level 14. He also learns the skill phoenix Flame, which revives all. Again, I can't remember what level he learns it. Maybe 20?

Having those 3 characters is fine, but you're unfortunately going to rely more heavily upon items until you gain some levels. Enemy drops will help with this, and also chests in dungeons. You honestly only should HAVE to buy items in a pinch.

I guess I do need an item list posted somewhere. I stopped adding the item info text in the game because it's buggy, and cuts off the text before the number of characters runs out. It's extremely annoying, so I stopped doing it. You can still see what the item does in the item info window, there's just no snappy line about how many crystallized milkworms it took to make the robe you just found, or how the gods themselves had crafted the sword you just won for completing the ancient hero's trial. You're not half as disappointed as I was, believe me.

Here are some I can remember off the top of my head, though:

Ether - clears status
Smelling Salts - revives dead

Quote:
...and after my first battle I already got a Lucky Power Ring...so yeah, Im doing good now.

I like brute strength over magic anyday.
WTF!! That's insane...seriously? Well I think you're right to take that as a sign that you altered fate the right way. HAH! Funny thing is, Brogan is the only character that can equip both the Lucky Magic Ring and the Lucky Power Ring, so even if you get one of those, you can put it on him.

Oh, and for people that don't know, about 99% of the battles in the game have a very rare chance of dropping either a Lucky Magic Ring (Boosts MAG by a lot, regenerates MP, and adds +99 to LUCK), or a Lucky Power Ring (which boosts STR by a lot, regenerates HP, and adds +99 to LUCK). In 4 complete playthroughs I got one of them one time, I got the other one 2 times, and got one of each one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Raven View Post
I've heard some talk on versions and I realized I don't know what version I have.

To my credit, I've defeated a number of Anubites and gotten nothing from them, so I assume the error isn't in the version I have....

Oh, yeah, I started playing it again. I'm playing it now.
Wow, it's cool to see people playing this game. I'd all but forgotten it while I was still working on tree of life, but lately I've been thinking about it again. If the talk you heard was from the page where you downloaded the game, then you have the right version. If it was from that walkthrough, then you were right to check those Anubites. If they don't drop a scroll that teaches Joseph a skill, then you're golden. You might even look in the editor, just to be sure. Those guys are listed as 'pyramid party', but I can't remember which number. In any case, it's the one(s) with an Anubite within.

Thanks a lot, you guys.
Ωbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #22
JPS
Donkey Emperor

JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.

Quote:
You got rid of Joseph...and Aratos? LOL!! Those are arguaby the most versatile, and the most powerful characters (in that order) in the game. Did you expect them to be uber godlike from the beginning? Well I designed it to suit a lot of tastes, so if you like it that way then that's great. Joseph is the one who learns skills from enemies, but Karl is equally useful, I guess. They both have healing, revive, attack, status up, and status down skills, but Joseph's special thing is that you can run from any non-boss battle as long as he's in your battle party. Karl has something too though...NONE of his skills require any points of any kind. He's also the only character who can revive MP, and since you still have Brogan and Troy, that's still an issue for you..
I didnt really care too much for Joseph or Aratos, early in the game I could only attack with Brogan and Troy, the other 2 didnt do anything useful at all and they ended up being dead before too long...Joseph didnt do anything for me and Aratos had powerful skills but the skills depleted his MP within a few turns.

The first playthrough with those 2 characters in my party, a battle with 3 normal enemies, no lie, would take about 5 minutes per battle because I had 2 people standing around doing anything...now I can do a battle in under 1 minute at the start of the game.

Quote:
Karl learns the skill Chakra, which restores HP/MP eventually (I forget which level, sorry. I need to use that character sheet maker! ), and Brogan learns Quantum Rain (heal-all +120) at level 14. He also learns the skill phoenix Flame, which revives all. Again, I can't remember what level he learns it. Maybe 20?

Having those 3 characters is fine, but you're unfortunately going to rely more heavily upon items until you gain some levels. Enemy drops will help with this, and also chests in dungeons. You honestly only should HAVE to buy items in a pinch.
I'm not having problems at all right now, 3 of my 4 characters are hitting for at least 100, most of the time I kill the enemies before they even get a chance to hit...Im planning on hanging around town until I get all characters to at least level 15.

Quote:
WTF!! That's insane...seriously? Well I think you're right to take that as a sign that you altered fate the right way. HAH! Funny thing is, Brogan is the only character that can equip both the Lucky Magic Ring and the Lucky Power Ring, so even if you get one of those, you can put it on him.
Wow, nice to see Im that lucky

Quote:
Oh, and for people that don't know, about 99% of the battles in the game have a very rare chance of dropping either a Lucky Magic Ring (Boosts MAG by a lot, regenerates MP, and adds +99 to LUCK), or a Lucky Power Ring (which boosts STR by a lot, regenerates HP, and adds +99 to LUCK). In 4 complete playthroughs I got one of them one time, I got the other one 2 times, and got one of each one time.
The Lucky Power Ring boosts all stats
Old 03-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #23
Dusk Raven
Shadow

Dusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphins

At the beginning I chose Brogan (sentimental value, he helped Troy out when he was young, after all), Loren (sounded like I'd need a guardian, and trust me, I did), and Joseph (Dark Scholar. Is that not a cool name and a cool trade?)

Brogan has a strange combination of brute strength and enhancement magic. Most of the spells I don't use (mostly because I forget what they do), but his attack damage makes him useful nonetheless.

Loren became somewhat of a nuisance early on, due to his tendency to die during fights. As a result, he has quite a bit less experience than the other members (Not more than a level behind at this point, though). He has some defensive spells, but I believe their only use lies in their special effects, because they normally improve defense, and no enemy I've faced yet uses normal attacks. He also has some rather potent attack spells.

Joseph is an interesting case. He doesn't have many spells right now, but he has plenty enough for me. If he were in my game, I would classify him as a Bright Mage: His few spells are to-the-point damage and healing spells that are quite potent (except for First Aid, which at this point is mostly limited in usefulness to after-battle patching up). Two attack spells (I looked at this guide to get one of them, though... the shame ), one single and one multi; a weak healing spell, a potent multi-healing spell (of which my party now has two, certousy of Brogan), and a Revive spell. There's a number of tactical functions he can perform at any time, provided his MP doesn't run out.

Together these three men and I have gone through the Amber tower, *** SPOILERS ***
and I am currently pondering whether to try and go back down to the town... while the volcano's erupting.
*** END SPOILERS ***

By the way, am I gonna meet any NPC's of plot significance, or am I all alone in a wonderful world? I don't mind being alone, at least it's us doing this quest because we want to and not because the king told us to. I always thought that was an interesting story, a band of comrades going out on a completely cliche "grab the magical spheres" style quest (for no reason whatsoever, even!), and yet I somehow don't have a problem with it. Maybe the lack of sentient life is making it a bit surreal for me. I still like it. Once I'm done I'll write a review.

Last edited by Dusk Raven; 03-17-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Dusk Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #24
JPS
Donkey Emperor

JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.JPS is loved even more than Berries N' Cream by the little lad.

OH NOZ SPOILERZ

Last edited by JPS; 03-19-2008 at 12:26 PM.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #25
Dusk Raven
Shadow

Dusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphinsDusk Raven surfs with the dolphins

Quote:
OH NOZ SPOILERZ
Fixed.
Dusk Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #26
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like

HAH! Now it's not fixed in your quote, JPS!

Anyway thanks Dusk, I'm glad you appreciate the 'storyline'.

Why did the heroes embark on such a perilous journey?

A) To save the world
B) They had no choice
C) They did it on a bet

Right? I mean why the hell not? In a way, I always kinda resented having all of my actions dictated by an asshole. That sounds too much like real life. And while some may view that as a flimsy pretext to build a story on, I actually did pull one off...I think. It also didn't help that I had to remove all of the NPC's but one. The idea is that Mercer's prior rampage has thinned out most of the population, but even that is pretty wack when you consider that all of the shops are still open somehow. In a lot of ways Tree of life is the game I wanted to make when I started making Shadow of the Towers, but I wanted to make a game that was just about a group of old friends out having a good time traveling the world like they used to. You probably don't remember the cartoon 'Dungeons and Dragons', but no matter what happened to the characters on that show, the basic premise was about the characters...how they reacted to situations, and how they interacted with each other. That's pretty much what I was shooting for with Shadow of the Towers.

Anyway, I had to get my wanderlust out of my system before I could settle down to make Tree of life. SotT used 14 maps, and that was the cause of most of my memory woes.

Quote:
...Im planning on hanging around town until I get all characters to at least level 15.
You can if you want to, but you'll be totally destroying any challenge at all in the game. The second boss is at the very end of the second area, and is designed to be challenging at level 12-13, and a bit easier at 14-15. Anything much over that is way too easy, and if you train to level 15 before you even go to the next area, then you'll be way over by the time you get there.

Plus that will take like 17 years to train up that much on the first map!

Still though...if players want to play it that way, I just want them to have a good time doing it...that's all I care about. Just keep in mind that farming EXP to that extent has repercussions in the game, that's all. I've never actually tried to beat the game with the 3 exact people you chose though...so you might wind up being glad that you trained.

Quote:
The Lucky Power Ring boosts all stats
Oh yeah...I forgot that I gave all stats a little bonus in the final version. There are several accessories that are better now. No item stats were harmed in the making of this version.

Last edited by Ωbright; 03-19-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
JPS
Donkey Emperor

How much more powerful are the skills over brute strength?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #28
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
How much more powerful are the skills over brute strength?
Honestly they're not, really. Magic can effect all enemies, it only hurts your MP to use it, and it never misses. Fighters do have skills though, and when they've depleted enough HP they can just use regular attacks, which mages can't do unless you put them on the front line. I actually do that with Aratus. He's a mage, but he's a big dude. He can take a fair amount of damage, and when he's on the front line he can actually dish out some damage, as well...especially at higher levels. There's even a staff that he can use which drains MP from enemies, which comes in really handy. Really the only 'typical' mages are Joseph and Gabriel...I wouldn't recommend putting them on the front line unless you're really careful. Like you said though...all enemies use skills quite often, so it doesn't matter so much where you put them anyway.

But you...Mr. I got a Lucky Power Ring on the first battle...probably don't need to worry. You see, you have 2 people in your party who can equip club-type weapons. The thing with those is that they all have a set chance of inflicting double damage. If you get a critical on an attack in which you also inflict double damage, you can get damage well into the 4-digits. I've only seen it happen once, but since you have a Lucky Power Ring, you increase the chances of getting a critical (I'm almost positive), and therefore increase the chances of getting a super critical...which if it doesn't kill an enemy, will leave it stunned.

...but it also has a chance of missing altogether.

So you tell me which is more powerful.

They really both are about equally powerful, especially since Aratos' magic is elemental, which can be used in the towers against enemies that are of a certain element. I pretty much made them that way, so that you can use just about any party combination that you want, whether it's magic/attack, all magic, or all attack.

I just have a personal affinity for the mages though, and I like a balanced team in that way.

Last edited by Ωbright; 03-20-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #29
JPS
Donkey Emperor

RM3 uses elemental effects?

How do you use those?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #30
Lausen
Call me Amazing

Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.Lausen is the third Mario Brother.

Quote:
RM3 uses elemental effects?

How do you use those?
In the class editor you can place what their strengths and weaknesses are. For example you could set a characters weakness to devil, and a monsters strangth or type to devil. That monsters attack will be slightly boosted against you. You can even set them up to represent the basic fire, ice earth, water. Say all fire type attacks would be set to devil, all ice type set to Undead and so forth. You can be creative and come up with a pretty decent elemental system.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Lausen; 03-21-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Lausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #31
JPS
Donkey Emperor

Yeah it makes sense, I never thought to do that

Does anyone know exactly how much more strengths and weaknesses boosts attacks?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #32
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Crythania actually utilized this system in his game Raiders of Lekunder long before I did in this game.

I'm actually not sure what the ratio is for damage with/without the strengths and weaknesses.

Is anybody still playing this, or did either of you guys ever beat it?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #33
haexpane
Pavilionite

haexpane is special!

I just picked up the PS3 RPGM3, this will be one of the first games I try.
Completely new to the series, but I've been meaning to try it for years.

Just got to the final boss in Dark souls so I've been looking for some RPGs to mix it up a bit, I've played a few XBL Indie RPGs so I figured I'd go a lil retro with the PS2 game.
haexpane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #34
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Excellent!

And this was my first RPGM 3 game. As such, it's not my best endeavor. It's still a fully playable, complete game with some neat features, but I ran out of room before I could add any NPC's! It's a nice romp around another world though, with 14 maps.

The REALLY cool thing though, is that you can now play a LOT of games that people have made, and of course make your own!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
Perversion
Girl Licker

Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like Perversion is walking around in the background like

If you have a BC PS3, a lot of games here are already in PS3 format. You just need to make a virtual PS2 memory card and load it up with RPGM games.