RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Pavilion's Greatest Hits > Game Forum Archives > Vick Bros. Games

Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Ivan Rosenguard
A caveman could do it!

Ivan Rosenguard dated the minotaur in 3rd gradeIvan Rosenguard dated the minotaur in 3rd grade
Couldn't Keep Away...

Ah, the pavilion. Its been awhile.

So, I do actually have business that I need to attend to, and thought you might like to hear from my own mouth that things are going smoothly with The God Gene (which may or may not receive a title change).

So, how have you guys been?

Anyways, my business. Well, I can't find my max drive. I have the disk that goes with it, and I've heard all along you can use any USB flash drive, but I've tried that and the software won't do anything with it. (It always says "Unknown error when copying RPGMaker 3 data to MaxDrive). I want to put out the demo I made, but I might have to buy a new one if someone can't give me a reason why that one doesn't work and a solution.

I do make a promise to you that I will find a way to get this thing online.

I'll also need playtesters, betas, and someone to perhaps play through the game with an eye for any grammar or spelling mistakes or any wording that might be more confusing than revealing (In some places, I have Lost Odyssey-style text--very sparse, and shorter than L.O.s, but they're there). I've done a good job editing myself, but its always good to have an editor with an outside opinion, so I'd love it if I could get some volunteers to playtest it before I release it (it has many classes and story paths, so it would be a pain for the two people--myself and one other--to playtest the whole thing ourselves).

Right now, my biggest challenge is my anal retentive attention to sound and cutscene direction. For instance, I got the crazy idea to have the storytellers sound out footsteps and other things often left alone. I've figured out it is possible to time things simply by leaving empty spaces in the storyteller keys. It actually sounds pretty authentic, especially when I do things like make the rain soften as a character closes and walks away from a door.

There are also some cutscenes that use the character models, and those are a pain. But the story really is a major selling point, so I want to present it as best as possible.

Sound and set design are also being put to extreme importance during vehicle battles, because I can't have them firing lasers at each other (obviously) so everything has to be presented in an almost theatrical way (using light and sound effects that suggest what is happening).

Anyways, there is my update. Also, I suppose I never gave a concrete story teaser, so I guess I'll do that now:

The God Gene takes place in the distant future. Earth's climate and population had already been nearly decimated once by disasters both natural and by the work of human hands. For nearly two-hundred years, humanity lived a mostly tribal existence, without technology, though a basic form of religion remains.

Some traditions of Christianity were kept alive, though, by some men, and it is said that when God decided that there were still righteous men among the savages left in the wake of His destruction Babylon (what the great human civilization was called), He returned them to the cradle where life began, and allowed them to build a city: Mother, the last human civilization on Earth.

Man's ability to think and create was restored to them, so it is said, and new forms of technology flourished. Genetic science is now at the forefront, and even most machines have at least a few organic parts that are synthesized to address the limitations of computer science. A living brain is capable of much more than a computer chip.

Even metal is created through the synthesizing of man-made organisms. Man could make indestructible metal capable of withstanding the heat and destructive force of nuclear fission, but since the metal was indestructible, it was impossible to work it into any shape. By creating living metal cells, however, indestructible steel can be "grown" into shape within a mold, then killed off through a process that stacks and thereby freezes the steel's molecules in place. Finally, it was possible to use Hydrogen-powered steam turbines as a viable and nearly unlimited fuel source.

With this new science, space travel was soon possible (though the sheer amount of time it takes to travel through space is a deterrent to travel further than Mars).

When the first shuttle sent from Mother to Mars landed, however, they found people already living there. It seemed a colony had been formed before Babylon's downfall, and the people living there now had, in an environment different from Earths, grown into an almost different species! They were taller, more angular, and with bone structures so thin that most of the "Martians" would rather remain on the red planet than go to Earth for fear of being too prone to breaking their bones.

Most of the Martians were farmers, their ancestors having been sent to terraform the land and make it fertile. It was soon realized by corporations back on Earth, however (now, in Mother's later years, having to deal with pesky worker's unions and human-rights laws) that here was a people that desperately wanted to industrialize like Earth, and needed Earth's help to do so. And, also, here was a people that were essentially trapped on their planet, unable, because of their fragile nature, to come to Earth.

With Mars industrializing at a fast pace, it wasn't long before the farmer's life was replaced by the life of a menial laborer in factories and weapons manufacturing plants. This worked out well, and was better than paying the minimum wage that the unions demanded for almost half the amount of work they got out of Mars. Even robots or synthetic human slaves weren't a viable option, because the upkeep for maintaining or housing them would cost them dearly. But the cost of living on Mars was very, very low compared to Earth, so Zikkuraut Corp. could could pay them pennies. Earth got goods that were cheap to produce and cheaply sold, and an army of foreign workers paid close to nothing, and Earth's population didn't ever have to see the poor conditions many of the Martian workers lived and worked in. In return, Mars was industrializing. Progress! It was a win-win.

What's more, the Martians were found to be nearly 100% disease resistant, among other advantages their evolution in a different environment had granted them. This made their genetic codes very valuable, and with Martian farms all but disappeared, it was important that a fast, tall-growing, disease resistant crop be grown on earth that could feed two worlds.

Genetic samplings were eventually obtained from Martians, and they were spliced with corn, wheat, rice, and soybeans to create supercrops the genetic patents of which Zikkuraut Corp. owned the patents for. The supercrops soon overtook the natural stock, making Zikkuraut the sole owner of the world's major food sources. Naturally, this did wonders for Zikkuraut's investors' stock portfolios.

Meanwhile, in the city of Mother, society had progressed to its pinnacle achievement: A giant wall separating the richer inner-districts from the poorer outer-districts. Of course, if they outer-district citizens only worked harder, they could join everyone else in the inner district.

Religion is a major pastime. This one is essentially a combination of protestant and catholic beliefs and rituals (two denominations whose differences were small and nitpicky at best, anyway). It seems as though when some men thought to preserve these old ways, some facts got muddled, and the religion has changed somewhat from its roots. It is a common belief that the people of Mother are the last human civilization for a reason, and they await the return of their Messiah to end the world. Naturally, this gives many people an enormous head.

Genetic manipulation was also a fad amongst the wealthy. See, when society came crashing down last time, every race had pretty much interbred, so everyone was dark-skinned and dark-eyed. But if you have the dosh, why not make your children look different? (Had a son five years go with all the latest genetic enhancements? Chances are, he's Windows '95 now. Science advances quickly. Get with the times). Though fads varied over the years, the most sought after features were fair skin, blond or light-colored hair, and blue eyes. This, of course, created an immediate way to recognize who was rich and who wasn't.

Enter the time in which The God Gene is set. Not surprisingly, not everyone is happy with the state of things. Enter Veritas, a mostly peaceful organization lead by a man named Ivan Rosenguard. While one may agree or disagree with their conservative, agrarian idealogy, one can't say their hearts weren't mostly in the right place, but when a man known only as "Mr. B" joins the group, things begin to take a more violent and radical turn as Mr. B's way of doing things find more resonance with the members of Veritas than Ivan Rosenguard's more peaceful methods of simply trying to get Veritas members elected into the government.

About the time Mr. B appears, a young woman shows up during the rainy season at the doorstep of an old cathedral (which doubles as Veritas' H.Q.) She is obviously poor, due to her dark skin and lack of education. It immediately becomes clear that she is pregnant, and not with her own child. She is a surrogate (women--usually members of the underclass--paid to carry the genetically modified offspring of the upper class). And simply by leaving the facility she has committed a federal crime. Father Kevin (a high-ranking Veritas leader, in addition to being a priest) takes her in, knowingly, despite Cardinal Marcus' strict adherence to the laws Zikkuraut lobbied so hard to get passed. Kevin hides the girl from Marcus, and it is not long before she gives birth and subsequently dies from complications arising from the fact that the young woman was barely over the age of 14 (having lied on her application in order to get a paying job).

But there is something different about this child, and the reasons behind her having run away start to reveal themselves as the child grows up in the care of Veritas. The player will then take the role of this child, gaining access to his or her highly mutable genetic code, allowing them to achieve all sorts of classes and abilities. It will be up to the player how best to use them, and to what end. Many factions play a role in this tale as tensions mount between different groups. As you discover the truth behind your birth, you will also be asked to choose your own path. But be warned: You've not the time to idle, because with or without your help, and perhaps in spite of your actions to prevent them, the gears of conflict continue to turn, and there is plotting from all sides, as well as mystery.

Everyone is looking for something, after all.

"I love this moment so much I want to cheat on that last moment with this one, marry it, and have lots of little moments."--Dr. Cox, Scrubs
Ivan Rosenguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Ωbright
Too Big to Fail

Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like Ωbright is walking around in the background like
Re: Couldn't Keep Away...

Dude...

Welcome back! I don't know what the deal is with the MAX disk not working with your different memory stick. I've always heard that it would work, but I've never tried it myself.

If nothing else you can mail the memory card to someone with a working max drive, like me, wavelength, Pagerron, Valkysas...I'm sure any of us would do it for you.

I'm glad to see you're still working on this, and I volunteer to help!

...though it might take me a while. I'm still working on my contest game.
Ωbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Ivan Rosenguard
A caveman could do it!

Ivan Rosenguard dated the minotaur in 3rd gradeIvan Rosenguard dated the minotaur in 3rd grade

Hey, thanks for offering! I was hoping you might, actually. I understand, though, about being busy with your own projects. Hey, does "anything goes" for this contest thing mean The God Gene is eligable for entry?

Anyways, regardless of what I have to do, nothing short of some major world-ending disaster will stop me from releasing this here.

"I love this moment so much I want to cheat on that last moment with this one, marry it, and have lots of little moments."--Dr. Cox, Scrubs
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like

The God Gene is indeed okay to enter. any game submitted to the pavilion from the 31st on is.

as for the max drive, the PS2 itself cant read USB storage devices over 256MB as far as I know. I've tried several of mine, and the highest it recognizes is 256MB.

EDIT: Welcome Back!

Last edited by Valkysas; 06-02-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: enter, NOT open. my god, what's wrong with me tonight
Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Karr Lord of Chaos
Bridge Burner

Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Karr Lord of Chaos saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.

are you using a ps2? if not then that could be your problem. also does the flash drive have enough space on it for the game? rpg maker 3 is probably a lot of space so perhaps there isnt enough room on it? also does the drive work with your computer? sometimes certain computers reformat the data drive to something they prefer so that could be an issue. it could be the software itself, or perhaps the usb drive may not work or have gunk in it.

just tossing these out there. also try a google search to see if anyone else has had issues.

this guide was particularly helpful for me, though i havent uploaded anything more then a few game saves.

http://www.gamehoof.com/2006/06/06/c...d-games-to-pc/

Thank you Ωbright for the sig fix!
Card Three is released! You can find it here!
Karr Lord of Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Ivan Rosenguard
A caveman could do it!

Hm. Thanks guys. The USB I'm using is 2 gigs, so it might be too big (I never really got it memorized how big is a gig and whatnot. Probably should...) I doubt its a problem with the USB ports, because my keyboard works just fine plugged into either port. And I seriously hope it isn't a software problem.

However, I will try to download that file on to my USB drive (thing is, I distinctly remember the Max Drive having some sort of file already on it, and I thought the lack of that file might have been the reason this one doesn't work). If that doesn't work, I'll get a smaller USB drive, and again, dowload the thingy.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Valkysas
Roadside Cheese Camera

Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like Valkysas is walking around in the background like

That guide really doesnt say anything that ours doesnt already.

a gig is 1000 MB, essentially. PS2 in my experience, again, only recognizes up to 256

Last edited by Valkysas; 06-02-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
Ivan Rosenguard
A caveman could do it!

Wow. Hopefully people still sell ones with smaller memory space...But if that's the only problem, then that's great news.

Last edited by Ivan Rosenguard; 06-02-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.

Yeah, I've never heard of this problem, but I've also solely used the Max Drives. I'd be happy to receive and mail you back your memory card and get your game online that way, although if you can't find a small USB drive, I could send you one of my two Max Drives so you could get it online before sending it back to me.

As for your backstory and world, it is rich, striking, and beautifully cynical. It's really quite good even as far as sci-fi goes and I can't wait to see how it integrates into the more immediate action of the game. There are a few things that seemed a little bizarre to me, but you clearly have a good idea of how everything will come together, so I'll keep my suggestions to a single item:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ivan
Even metal is created through the synthesizing of man-made organisms. Man could make indestructible metal capable of withstanding the heat and destructive force of nuclear fission, but since the metal was indestructible, it was impossible to work it into any shape. By creating living metal cells, however, indestructible steel can be "grown" into shape within a mold, then killed off through a process that stacks and thereby freezes the steel's molecules in place. Finally, it was possible to use Hydrogen-powered steam turbines as a viable and nearly unlimited fuel source.
This is interesting, no question, but I feel like it's also a big missed opportunity! Here you've come up with the idea of living metal cells, which are nearly indestructable and (once frozen) can be used in many of the same mechanical applications we use metal for now. Why not make it so that the LIVING steel cells can be used as steel? Now you have living machines, possibly more effective than frozen steel would be, but with a life of their own. So not only do you get the impact of using a living thing to "do work" at a person's whim (without the promise of money or a better life or whatever), but you (as the creator) also gain the ability to introduce variability, anomalies, catastrophic failure, or even rebellion of the machines into the events that play out.

I'd be more than happy to playtest your game! I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I've got a really good eye for grammar, editing, and bugs, and I could probably suggest some balance tweaks too if they're needed. Only problem is that if the game is a long one (let's say over 15 hours), I'm gonna need a few weeks or maybe even a couple months to get through it. I don't think of it as work, so I just take it at my own pace.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo
Wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Eschaton Orochi
Over 9 THOUSAND!!!

Eschaton Orochi enjoys Lego sandwiches

YESSS!!!! THIS IS SOOO AWESOOOOMMMEEEE!!!! Thanks for coming back, Ivan. I've been waiting for your arrival! Also, heck, my game Cifer: The Awakening is in part inspired by your game. This is great! Let's see how we fare in the contest...
GAME ON!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
Ivan Rosenguard
A caveman could do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Yeah, I've never heard of this problem, but I've also solely used the Max Drives. I'd be happy to receive and mail you back your memory card and get your game online that way, although if you can't find a small USB drive, I could send you one of my two Max Drives so you could get it online before sending it back to me.

As for your backstory and world, it is rich, striking, and beautifully cynical. It's really quite good even as far as sci-fi goes and I can't wait to see how it integrates into the more immediate action of the game. There are a few things that seemed a little bizarre to me, but you clearly have a good idea of how everything will come together, so I'll keep my suggestions to a single item:

This is interesting, no question, but I feel like it's also a big missed opportunity! Here you've come up with the idea of living metal cells, which are nearly indestructable and (once frozen) can be used in many of the same mechanical applications we use metal for now. Why not make it so that the LIVING steel cells can be used as steel? Now you have living machines, possibly more effective than frozen steel would be, but with a life of their own. So not only do you get the impact of using a living thing to "do work" at a person's whim (without the promise of money or a better life or whatever), but you (as the creator) also gain the ability to introduce variability, anomalies, catastrophic failure, or even rebellion of the machines into the events that play out.

I'd be more than happy to playtest your game! I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I've got a really good eye for grammar, editing, and bugs, and I could probably suggest some balance tweaks too if they're needed. Only problem is that if the game is a long one (let's say over 15 hours), I'm gonna need a few weeks or maybe even a couple months to get through it. I don't think of it as work, so I just take it at my own pace.
Hey, thanks. Well, as for the comments on the living steel, there is a reason why it must be killed off: living cells continue to replicate and slough off. The process used to kill off this steel stacks the molecules, creating a material with an impossibly high melting point that's virtually indestructible. If left alive, the steel will continue to grow uncontrolled (a mold is required to shape it, and, in the case of weapons, a special tool with a laster only a molecule thick is required to sharpen the blade, after the sharpening the weapon will never lose its edge).

I did, however, mention that organic parts are often used in even the most rudimentary machine's brains. Even home computers have partially organic chips used in place of traditional ones due to an organic brain's greater processing power. So, in a sense, most machines already have the potential for higher-level thought, and I suppose, now that its been brought up, one of the subplots/factions involved in the story involve machines and synthetic humans who have advanced enough to become displeased with their lot in life. I don't focus on it too much, due to the fact that this has been done to death by Isaac Asimov and in the movie Blade Runner, but I include it because, like you, I figured something like this would occur. It's part of the world, but it's just one player in the story, and, like everything else, how they are involved and what they do will depend on your own choices.

Also, these machines not only function autonomously in many cases, but also require resources for energy, and many of them even design and build new machines on their own (something real machines today actually already do--old computers design new ones with increasingly little help from engineers). Autonomous function, the need to consume in order to survive, and reproduction. By life's very definition, you can already consider them "alive".

The question is, if a machine may very well be alive, and what with all this genetic manipulation going on, can life really be considered a machine that can be tinkered with at whim? I address that in the story.

The ship you get at a point in the game is considered by at least one member of Veritas to be as alive as the people who ride in it. Basically, in the world of The God Gene, the line between life and machine has already been greatly blurred.

To Catastrophe: I will certainly check out your game. Glad to have inspired some members in my foolish over-touting of my own game. As soon as I can figure out this Max Drive issue, I have a lot of games I missed in my absence that I want to try.

Last edited by Ivan Rosenguard; 06-02-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Pagerron
RPGM3-notperfectbutgood

Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!Pagerron glows in the dark, BABY!

Welcome back Ivan Rosenguard!!

Your return has been much anticipated. I didn't think you were coming back. This is very very cool.

I'm still reading through some of the posts in this thread, and I must admit, I really like some of the concepts that you are working with in your game.

Yay!!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Draygone
"Raccoonish"

Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.Draygone flings sweet-smelling poo.

I used a 2Gig flash drive with my Max Drive, and it worked fine (in fact, I use it on camera at the start of my SD Paradise LP). What might've helped was that it was fairly empty, likely within the 256MB range that was spoken of. The flash drive I was using was a Kingston, I believe.

By the way, I just now had an issue with the PS2 recognizing the actual Max Drive flash drive. Resetting did the trick. I wonder what went wrong. Maybe the issue is that the flash drive has to be inserted prior to turning the PS2 on.
"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

Last edited by Draygone; 06-03-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Draygone is offline   Reply With Quote