RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #5101
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like
Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

Yeah I'm like a silver level player when I hop on PS4. I think it's the frame rate that makes it so much harder. Throws all my muscle memory out the window.

I bought Divinity II, and wow! This game is a MEGA improvement over the first one, which I did enjoy but didn't really manage to hold my interest for very long. The element system is also not as easy to abuse, you now have to wittle down their magic armor before you can just blitzkrieg them with status effects. I have 16 hours in the game and am still only in Act I which is apparently only about 25% of the game. I give it a 5/5 so far.

Great voice acting for ALL NPCs that should make Bethesda feel ashamed.
Caciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #5102
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caciss View Post
I bought Divinity II, and wow! This game is a MEGA improvement over the first one, which I did enjoy but didn't really manage to hold my interest for very long. The element system is also not as easy to abuse, you now have to wittle down their magic armor before you can just blitzkrieg them with status effects. I have 16 hours in the game and am still only in Act I which is apparently only about 25% of the game. I give it a 5/5 so far.

Great voice acting for ALL NPCs that should make Bethesda feel ashamed.
O Rly? I played the first one for 80+ hours and had a good time, despite it being a pretty clunky game. I'll have to pick this up sometime.

Did you ever play the 3rd Person RPG they made (Dragon Knight Saga?), I bought it on Steam sale for like $3 and despite also being a little outdated/clunky, I enjoyed the f' out of that too.

Larian makes good RPGs.
Mcardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:09 AM   #5103
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

Almost finished with Sonic Mania.

Pretty enjoyable. Almost feels like a rom hack of Sonic 3.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #5104
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

Beat Rise of the Tomb Raider. I think I liked the first one better. Trying to shove "open world" crafting systems into a game that should by all definition be linear really messes with it a bit.

The first one as far as I remember was a compact Indiana Jones: The Video Game. This one is still good, but it loses some focus and the story telling isn't as tight because of it.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 AM   #5105
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

I felt about the same. It's pretty stunning looking and the gunplay is alright but I liked the first game a lot more. People can ***** all they want about some of the more bizarre decisions that storyline made but it was way more interesting than the assassin's creed esque trinity snoozefest.

Hope they can introduce something a little more dynamic next time around, like a rival treasure hunter or something.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #5106
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.Sampson always gets the last coke in the frig.

Felt like it was trying to do a few too many things and didn't really have a consistent identity. Also input lag. Mediocre story too, which for a cinematic game, is an issue. But I think I liked it more than Uncharted 4.

Last edited by Sampson; 09-26-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #5107
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like

I loved the first one as well and don't think the second held my attention for more then a few hours.
Caciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #5108
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK View Post
I felt about the same. It's pretty stunning looking and the gunplay is alright but I liked the first game a lot more. People can ***** all they want about some of the more bizarre decisions that storyline made but it was way more interesting than the assassin's creed esque trinity snoozefest.

Hope they can introduce something a little more dynamic next time around, like a rival treasure hunter or something.
Yeah, the game looks amazing, especially maxed out on Ultra on a 165hz G-Sync monitor. I should have really played on a higher difficulty than "normal", because normal was way too easy. I don't think I ever healed throughout the entire game and most definitely ignored the perks related to damage and combat survival. Kept thinking I'd take them later when difficult ramped up and it never really did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson
Felt like it was trying to do a few too many things and didn't really have a consistent identity. Also input lag.
Well, the Input Lag seems to be fixed, or at the very least I didn't notice it with K+M. There was some weird jumps that I died on a few times because of random camera shift meaning you had to re-click your WASD keys before you jumped which I thought was stupid.

Completely agree that the game is trying to be too many things. I pretty much quit going out of my way to pick up collectibles and quit using the "Vision" stuff after I realized I was already halfway through the game and didn't need anything else to beat it. Detective Vision, Survival Vision, Assassin Vision. All those crutches need to die in every game they're in or be used as a heavy cooldown skill in games. I should have just disabled the button, cuz it seems when I play games with that in it, I just keep spamming the skill over and over again to ensure I don't miss anything.

This game taught me missing **** was fine! It was so easy on "Normal" I quit worrying about missing stuff, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caciss
I loved the first one as well and don't think the second held my attention for more then a few hours.
The story wasn't really holding my attention for most of it and the final boss was a big meh. Even the "undying" guys seemed to be copied from the Immortal Samurai enemies from the first game. The gameplay and tomb puzzles were definitely the reason I kept playing it.

Also, game designers need to get away from codex findables as storytelling. I can assure you the ancient scroll from 900 AD has not been sitting on top of that rock out in the Siberian wilderness for the last 1100 years and is in perfect enough shape to read. At least put that crap in spaces where it would be plausible to be a hidden scroll.

*** SPOILERS ***
And Ana leaving recordings around the base vocally stating how she's been lying to her brother about his divine stigmata and stuff. THAT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD IDEA. Any random henchman could have picked that up and given it to Konstantine.

Why does a villain leave 20 voice recorders around? Clearly not a hard drive space issue. Bioshock gave us this nonsense and it was cool for a bit, but now it needs to stop. It doesn't make sense in a game being told from a modern perspective.

*** END SPOILERS ***
Old 09-28-2017, 03:26 AM   #5109
Sampson
Hail Satan

What is the game design logic behind that? So you can enjoy the story if you want to, but also ignore it? To scratch the completionist itch?

I'd prefer more cut scenes, but make them skipable.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #5110
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.

Persona 5 is amazing.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #5111
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
What is the game design logic behind that? So you can enjoy the story if you want to, but also ignore it? To scratch the completionist itch?

I'd prefer more cut scenes, but make them skipable.
Probably a combination of both, as well as development 'crunch time' cuts meaning its "lazier"/easier to put story into a collectible than animate and direct cut-scenes or conversations. For this game I'd probably say it boils down to the first 2, the last one being a generic problem simply by having people used to Achievements being "standard" for games now.

---

Lore Building: I get the whole Soviet Military Journals and the Ancient Scrolls, but they're in stupid places that don't make sense sometimes, like sitting out in the open where it obviously snows and rains. This is okay for world building, because, like Bioshock, you're learning what happened to people who are no longer there that have an impact on current events.

The Trinity lore was just laziness, at the very least they could have had you access computers to access logs. There's a log near the beginning about their security officer talking about how he easily installed a backdoor into their systems cuz he was tired of being kept in the dark, discovering how evil Trinity was, then worried if Konstantine found out he'd be killed. That could have easily been used as a jumping off point to access the myriad of laptops and computers lying around instead of main antagonists leaving freaking manila folders around every base. Just give Lara his "malware" on a USB stick that lets her access files.

Collectibles: Because Ubisoft nonsense has infected a lot of open-world games as "Find x/20 meaningless things!" as a way to promote "area density" of "things to do." Problem is doing those things don't get you anything useful unless it's the Tombs.

The problem is it can sometime be hard to tell what is worth your time and what isn't. I think they also do this to increase "play time" they can use to market the game with.

Also every game with this crap seems to give micro-XP for every thing found, which means you can level up your characters by going out of your way and finding stuff. There are good and bad things that happen because of this, depending how the difficulty of the game works.

Achievements: Not a big deal to me on Steam, but it is to some to have those trophies on PlayStation. Having a bunch of crap to collect and do makes people OCD about achievements, and then you also throw in random crap nobody every does organically to further increase playtime.

---

And absolutely, all cutscenes, no matter what, should be skippable. It baffles me that some games still in this day and age do not let you do this; especially ones who gate a hard boss fight right behind a long cutscene before the battle.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #5112
YesterdaysMoose
Rabid Monkey Brain Child

YesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasureYesterdaysMoose is a national treasure
Thumbs up Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

Just picked up South Park: The Stick Of Truth (PS3). Now, I'm not a super fan of the show, although I really liked the movie. That being said, I am very impressed so far in how faithful it is, not to mention the spot on graphics that are extremely accurate to the animation style of the show. I also like the idea that it's a RPG / LARP game, as depicted from the children's point of view.

On the negative side, I got lost pretty quickly - figuratively, not literally - and currently am not sure how to proceed. It would be nice if there were more hints provided by the residents of South Park (NPCs), or a least a dedicate person that gives information.

Overall, so far, a nice diversion, which I bought for a very reasonable price. I'd recommend it, as long as you also don't spend too much getting it.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:13 AM   #5113
Sampson
Hail Satan

I think getting lost is part of it. I don't generally like exploring pointlessly in games, but I enjoyed going around the map trying to find all the South Park tie-ins. My only problem with the game was that the combat was pretty easy and ultimately boring.

Cuphead is great. If you like Mega Man or Contra, it's definitely worth getting.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #5114
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
Cuphead is great. If you like Mega Man or Contra, it's definitely worth getting.
I don't think I could compare it to Mega Man. Watched about 4 hours of it on Twitch and it's mostly a "boss rush" game. A large part of Mega Man IMO is the memorable levels, which are mostly non-existent here.

The art style is definitely impressive A.F. but I don't think I would personally want to spend the time to getgud enough to beat the game. That, and I'm not overall a fan of 1930s animation or jazz music.

I feel like a lot of people are gushing over it because (A) it's difficult, and (B) because it has amazing art direction. I don't feel it's the type of game everyone can mark down as a "must play" from what I've seen.

Props to them for creating a beautiful game, though. Definitely can and will be used as an example in the "Can Videogames be Art?" debate. This game is definitely art, even if it's playerbase is aimed at the niche.

Last edited by Mcardy; 10-02-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 AM   #5115
Sampson
Hail Satan

It's definitely not a Mega Man or Contra clone, but the core gameplay is very similar. It's kind of like 25 Mega Man boss battles, except better and no real rock-paper-scissors weapon shtick. If that sounds interesting to you, then I definitely think it's worth $20.

It's actually not that hard, but I enjoy challenging platformers. Like SOTN, the art direction is absolutely doing the heavy lifting, but the gameplay isn't bad.

I think it could sell a million copies, and will go down as one of the best indie games ever. Probably get a few GOTY awards.

Last edited by Sampson; 10-02-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #5116
MetalKingTonberry
Pavilionite

MetalKingTonberry is a fairly shiny person.

Been playing Final Fantasy IX Digital Edition on PS4. Already finished the story, just doing some side-quests now. With this version's new features like the high speed mode, I might actually try an Excalibur II playthrough someday. (On the topic of Final Fantasy, I can't wait for Dissidia NT.)

Also gone back to Tales of Zestiria to finish up the post-game dungeons and prepare for an eventual 4th playthrough (well, 2nd playthrough on PS4). It's not something I'm planning anytime soon, but I'm sure I'll replay it again at some point.