RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Free Forum

Old 01-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #3321
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like
Re: In this thread, we talk about films

*** SPOILERS ***

Rey being a nobody is probably the best narrative choice Star Wars has made in a long time. Sure, there are purists out there that insist that the 9 movies are the story of the Skywalkers, and thus Rey needs to play into that. But this makes it so much more interesting for me, Rey is just Rey; and The Force is for everyone like Luke said. Her dramatic motivation is spelled out by Kylo Ren in the throne room; she just wants somewhere to belong, she wants her place. She thought by finding a father figure in Han Solo and then Luke would provide that, but they don't. And now she's left at the end of the film to carve her own path and find it on her own.

I'm actually worried there's no way 9 will live up to this film.

*** END SPOILERS ***
DK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #3322
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.

The Star War

*** SPOILERS ***
Honestly I'm pretty sure they're just making **** up as they go along. What happened to the whole "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too." trailer quote? Just trolling?
*** END SPOILERS ***
Sampson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #3323
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

I mean...isn't that the very essence of star wars?
DK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #3324
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like

Chad

*** SPOILERS ***
Chad... what you just described are actions not motivations. What is his motivation besides wanting to be like Darth Vader? Which I guess is fine enough for these movies, but I wouldn't mind digging a little deeper. Also him joining Snoke and going dark side are not unrelated, I'm pretty sure Luke says Snoke was directly coercing him to the darkside. I also haven't watched Force Awakens since it came out so maybe I am forgetting some character details from that movie. TLJ just gives an illusion of character development for Kylo.

1) Hope for his redemption? We know there has to be a third movie, so we know right away he's not going to be redeemed here. Also that wink to the camera is the most obnoxious thing in the whole movie. It's just blatantly stating were not gonna do things the way you think we're gonna do them. Which is the problem with this whole movie, more focused on subverting fandom expectations than telling a good story.

2)Kylo Ren who up to this point has been portrayed as emotionally unstable and not in control of himself suddenly manages to pull it all together and do in Snoke. Yeah good stuff.

Once again I'm fine with room for something new! You can do these things without boring anti-climactic resolutions! The most obvious example of this mindset being a detriment to the movie is the entire Finn storyline which purposefully has an anti-climactic resolution, JUST to be able to subvert the classic Star wars trope. What is that, 30-40 minutes of screen time for some meta point Rian Johnson is trying to making. Sheesh.

I have no problem with Rey's heritage or broom kid.

Can I ask what do you think was fun in this movie?

*** END SPOILERS ***

DK

*** SPOILERS ***

Well yeah 9 won't be any better. They've practically written themselves into a corner.

*** END SPOILERS ***

Last edited by Caciss; 01-10-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Caciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #3325
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.

Seems that people's opinions on TLJ are quite split. I saw it a couple days after Christmas and had a great time. I thought it was a fun little movie. A very flawed one but I still rather enjoyed it. Though, I think it wasn't exactly a good idea to have some things explained in a book rather than in the movie. I didn't read the or anything, so this is second hand information. But *** SPOILERS ***
those bombers that dropped those bombs via gravity don't actually do that. It is some sort of magnetic tracking thing. To be fair, why would they explain that in the movie when they know what it does? Also Rey's linguistic skills (understanding droid and wookies) was explained in a book as well. Now that is pretty minor but that is definitely something that could have easily been explained in one of the movies. Hell, Rey could have mentioned to Han Solo how she is able to understand his furry companion in about a short paragraph.
*** END SPOILERS ***

Though, I'm just nitpicking there. That was something barely covered by you guys and I didn't feel like repeating what other people said, but in exciting Jamos Vision!

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:23 AM   #3326
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.Sampson has 1.21 gigawatts of power flowing through their veins.

That's the least of the film's problems.

The criticism I've seen has mostly been about fundamental aspects of story telling. Also a lot of hate based on perceived political messaging within the film (some of its valid, some a complete stretch. Nothing egregious, at least not enough to bother me.)

But it is what it is. Out of 9 Star Wars films, I would say you have a couple decent films, 1 great film, a couple mediocre films, and the rest is trash.

I would probably put TLJ around ROTJ in terms of mediocrity, but the end of ROTJ is a much higher high than anything in TLJ.

Last edited by Sampson; 01-11-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #3327
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.

I think TLJ would've benefited heavily from a Helm's Deep-esque (LOTR) mega-battle set piece. I've found that middle movies in a trilogy almost always benefit from this when it's so hard to compete with the opening and closing of a 3 film story arc.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 AM   #3328
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!Mcardy is a big fat rollar coaster of LOOOOVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK View Post
*** SPOILERS ***

Rey being a nobody is probably the best narrative choice Star Wars has made in a long time. Sure, there are purists out there that insist that the 9 movies are the story of the Skywalkers, and thus Rey needs to play into that. But this makes it so much more interesting for me, Rey is just Rey; and The Force is for everyone like Luke said. Her dramatic motivation is spelled out by Kylo Ren in the throne room; she just wants somewhere to belong, she wants her place. She thought by finding a father figure in Han Solo and then Luke would provide that, but they don't. And now she's left at the end of the film to carve her own path and find it on her own.

I'm actually worried there's no way 9 will live up to this film.

*** END SPOILERS ***
Yeah dude, I agree.

I saw it, I had a few problems with it but overall it's good for what it is, which is an entertaining popcorn movie. That's all Star Wars has ever really been to me, and I thought the movie was fine.
Mcardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #3329
Sampson
Hail Satan

Are you familiar with the concept called Chekhov's Gun?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun

Episode 8 violates it constantly.

That is why I think the writing is terrible.

Last edited by Sampson; 01-16-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 AM   #3330
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.

I kiiinda disagree, but mostly because taking a hard line on Chekhov's Gun is of questionable value in modern filmmaking.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #3331
Sampson
Hail Satan

In some sense I agree, but they weren't trying to make the next Boyhood -- I really doubt it was intentional.

I'm looking forward to Episode 9 just to see how JJ tries to dig out of this mess.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #3332
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.Jamos is unapproachably attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
That's the least of the film's problems.

The criticism I've seen has mostly been about fundamental aspects of story telling. Also a lot of hate based on perceived political messaging within the film (some of its valid, some a complete stretch. Nothing egregious, at least not enough to bother me.)

But it is what it is. Out of 9 Star Wars films, I would say you have a couple decent films, 1 great film, a couple mediocre films, and the rest is trash.

I would probably put TLJ around ROTJ in terms of mediocrity, but the end of ROTJ is a much higher high than anything in TLJ.
Meant to respond to this much sooner, but whatevs. I know that the issues I brought up are minor at best. Pretty much all of the major points have already been brought up and I didn't feel like echoing what has already been said. But I suppose I will give my opinion. Yes, the movie is very flawed. There appeared to be things just inserted into it just because. A complete plotline involving Finn felt tacked on and unnecessary. I could go on and on but I won't. However, despite its flaws I found it a delightfully fun romp. I get why there are those that say such negative things about it, but I can't help what I like. I loved the Star Wars films and dammit, my inner fanboy went wild. So yeah, there is no helping me.

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #3333
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.Big Rick Cook danced the night away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
In some sense I agree, but they weren't trying to make the next Boyhood -- I really doubt it was intentional.

I'm looking forward to Episode 9 just to see how JJ tries to dig out of this mess.
I'd bet it was more intentional than JJ in Episode VII, not as intentional as Johnson would have liked.

I strongly believe putting JJ back in the director's seat is a bad idea, but mostly because his entire shtick is flash without substance.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #3334
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite childThe Toecutter is your mom's favorite child

Delicatessen is hilarious. I highly recommend.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #3335
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.Maijo saved a busload of adorable kittens from Dracula.

Anyone got any thoughts on Best Picture for this year's Oscars?
  • Call Me by Your Name
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • Get Out
  • Lady Bird
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Post
  • The Shape of Water
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #3336
Magik
*waltzes out*

Magik killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!Magik killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!Magik killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!Magik killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!Magik killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!Magik killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!Magik killed Rambo... with a SLEDGEHAMMER!

I saw Get Out and Lady Bird. I liked both a lot, but I'd be surprised if either won. Given the names attached, I'd say The Post is the likely candidate but I think it had a poorly timed release and not great promotion (not that that matters to Academy voters necessarily, but it doesn't bode well). I think Three Billboards has the edge.
Magik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #3337
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

I haven't seen a single nominee, but the industry folk around here in NOLA seem to be voting for 3 Billboards.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #3338
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

I am super stoked for Black Panther. Haven't been this excited for a superhero movie in a while.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #3339
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/s...yles&smtyp=cur

Last edited by Maijo; 02-14-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Maijo is offline   Reply With Quote