RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #4961
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.
Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcardy View Post
I bought a new monitor (1440p G-Sync) so I've been playing Metro 2033 Redux on it. It looks damn good. Dunno if this is really my type of game but I've read it's only about 8 hours long and I'm halfway done so I'll probably finish it.

It has started to get more intriguing after the first 3 chapters, though.

---

On the newly acquired sister's 3/DS games side, I beat Dragon Quest 4...it was not as good as I remember it being and luckily it's a hell of a lot shorter than DQ7 or 8 or 9. (Then I remembered it was OG NES, not SNES like 5/6)

I dabbled with Etrian Odyssey 3 and played it down to BF4. I just don't think after that, I want to spend the time necessary to beat a game like this. I think I'd rather play through other games in my backlog than slog through a bunch of first person mazes.
I just beat Redux myself a couple months ago. It is pretty good as far as being a slightly low-rent mix of Half-Life 2 and Bioshock. The setting is interesting, even if the characters and overall plot are not. I will probably start Last Light after I finish Xcom 2 or get tired of Destiny.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #4962
MetalKingTonberry
Pavilionite

MetalKingTonberry is a fairly shiny person.

Been pretty obsessed with Disgaea 5 for quite a while now. Nearly at 400 hours played, and it's still super fun.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #4963
dragaron
Dragon + Aaron = Dragaron

dragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecube

I've been finishing up end/post-game stuff in FFXV while cruising through Wind Waker HD (first time with Wind Waker). Just started Nioh last night and I like it, but it's taking me time to adjust to all of the nuances of combat.
dragaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #4964
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360

Overcooked is pretty great if you have someone to play couch co-op with you.
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #4965
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phone

Having a lot of fun with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch
Old 04-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #4966
Sampson
Hail Satan

Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Sampson has their Atari next to their Xbox 360

Federation Force is a decent game if you have friends to play it with.

If it had simply been called Federation Force and not Metroid: Federation Force, it would've done fairly well both critically and commercially, I think. The lack of voice chat sucks, but it's basically Destiny Lite.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #4967
1ce
Stay informed

1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.

Two games recently have reignited my love for gaming, one old, one new.

The first is Xenogears, a game that I've played several times but never beaten. I originally got pretty far in the game back in 2008, but sold it when I was strapped for cash. I recently have had feelings of regret that I never finished it, so I went and got a copy about a week ago. The game early on is really something special, and really hits the strong world building, plot, and characters that RPGs do so well. I know it doesn't maintain this high level of quality, but its been great so far. I'm in the sewers right now; I'm eagerly waiting for Billy to show up, as I really like his story.

The other game I'm playing is Chrono Trigger on DS. I've tried to play it several times but it never really clicked with me until just now. It has this unique feeling of my choices making a difference. You can see that with the court scene, where actions you make early in the game determine whether you're guilty or innocent, and how actions you make in the past affect different timelines. I've never had this feeling that my choice matters so much in a game before, and I love this game for it. It also cuts out the fat of RPGs, and is super simple to play without elaborate technobabble or complicated gameplay. My only problem is that it has the same issue other 90s games had: I have to consult a walkthrough occasionally to know where to go next. This game is amazing, and now I understand why people love it so much.
1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #4968
MetalKingTonberry
Pavilionite

MetalKingTonberry is a fairly shiny person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ce View Post
The other game I'm playing is Chrono Trigger on DS. I've tried to play it several times but it never really clicked with me until just now. It has this unique feeling of my choices making a difference. You can see that with the court scene, where actions you make early in the game determine whether you're guilty or innocent, and how actions you make in the past affect different timelines. I've never had this feeling that my choice matters so much in a game before, and I love this game for it. It also cuts out the fat of RPGs, and is super simple to play without elaborate technobabble or complicated gameplay. My only problem is that it has the same issue other 90s games had: I have to consult a walkthrough occasionally to know where to go next. This game is amazing, and now I understand why people love it so much.
I actually still haven't played that game, even though I have it on both DS and PS1. I probably should play it someday.

----

For now, I've been playing Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, on PS4. Finished one playthrough and started another, currently trying to level up my main 3 characters (Ace, Cater, and Machina). Also going to do all those Expert Trials that were way too high level to try on my first playthrough.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:31 AM   #4969
Sampson
Hail Satan

Mario Run is short but actually pretty fun. I hope it gets a sequel or expansion.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #4970
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.Hrafn causes delicious sandwiches to fall from the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ce View Post
Two games recently have reignited my love for gaming, one old, one new.

The first is Xenogears, a game that I've played several times but never beaten. I originally got pretty far in the game back in 2008, but sold it when I was strapped for cash. I recently have had feelings of regret that I never finished it, so I went and got a copy about a week ago. The game early on is really something special, and really hits the strong world building, plot, and characters that RPGs do so well. I know it doesn't maintain this high level of quality, but its been great so far. I'm in the sewers right now; I'm eagerly waiting for Billy to show up, as I really like his story.

That is all quite true. It is my favorite standard RPG and probably top 3 of overall games. Gameplay is simple but strong, story is well-written and complex not just for that era but for any era. It handles time travel deftly, if with a few of the usual functions lot holes that come with it. The music is memorable, graphics look good now and great back then, and the boss fights appropriate epic. And even though it did not introduce plus games, it both popularized it and gave it purpose with all the endings added in subsequent playthroughs. Probably
beat it a dozen times or more, mostly on my SNES copy but also PS1, which has some good cinematics aside from the couple dumb ones slapped in to tie this game to Chrono Cross and its story shenaniganry. If you are interested in the follow up, know that it is both incredibly original and creative, and deeply flawed. It is simultaneously a favorite game of mine and a major disappointment.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:16 AM   #4971
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.

Been playing Diablo 3 Season 10, which I'm pretty much done with. Pushed a DH Strafe build to GR66. Was hoping to get to 70 but I'm unwilling to grind 20 hours for 1-2 pieces of ancient gear I need. I'll probably buy the Necromancer DLC when it comes out.

Rimworld did a massive update and for the first time I finally got into it. That game is complicated and I had to watch some tutorials and watch some people stream it, but once you know what you're doing it's fun as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
I just beat Redux myself a couple months ago. It is pretty good as far as being a slightly low-rent mix of Half-Life 2 and Bioshock. The setting is interesting, even if the characters and overall plot are not. I will probably start Last Light after I finish Xcom 2 or get tired of Destiny.
Finally got off my ass and beat Metro 2033, I thought the scripted events were kind of eh, and some of the hit detection and aiming in the game is super floaty compared to other FPS' I play. Overall, in terms of Russian dystopian near future FPS games, I had more fun playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

All in all, though, for the "story based FPS" genre, I think Spec-Ops: The Line is a far better game. (And like $4 on Steam when it goes on sale)

The entire Metro 2033 game:
1) Almost get killed in a scripted event, some guy rescues you
2) Kill a bunch of humans
3) Horde of monsters attack, savior guy dies
4) Quick respite, then repeat #1

I'm willing to play Last Light, I've heard it's better. Let me know if you get to it before I do since I'm probably going to play some non-FPS for awhile.
Mcardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #4972
Hrafn
Valhallanite

Will do. Right now I am embroiled in Phantom Dust (boss of the sixth chapter, arguably the game's hardest fight) and just two missions from finally finishing Xcom 2. After that might do Last Light or Halo 5 before jumping into my new buy, Wasteland 2.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #4973
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.

I have been playing Neverwinter with a friend. The hack n slash combat has translated pretty well to the MMO sphere. We're only around level 20, so things have been progressing quickly and without any grinding thus far. Not sure how that'll hold up in the F2P model they've established, but right now it's a lot of fun.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:52 PM   #4974
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.Mcardy pased Go on the Monopoly Board and recieved $400.

I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles and I love it so far. Not very far, and I've died a few times because I'm an idiot and keep forgetting the same enemy can take multiple turns leading to my over-reaching tank getting blown up.

Very fun game so far, though! I don't see leveling up my squad making a very big impact so far in terms of anything other than the "orders", seems to only give your dudes an extra 2-5 HP per level.
Mcardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #4975
Maijo
Donkey Emperor

Maijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phoneMaijo hacked the entire world with a cell phone

Playing Disgaea 5 for Switch (very fun, great RPG)

Magikarp Jump (iphone, actually really awesome)

MAYBE picking up Morrowind. But too much on horizon, think it would get buried
Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #4976
Chad
Goes down smooth

Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360Chad has their Atari next to their Xbox 360

Quote:
I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles and I love it so far. Not very far, and I've died a few times because I'm an idiot and keep forgetting the same enemy can take multiple turns leading to my over-reaching tank getting blown up.
There are definitely a few levels that trial and error make it much easier, but I really enjoyed trying to adapt tactics on the fly and get a good ranking first time through without replaying missions. I was always leaning hardest on my scouts.

Quote:
Very fun game so far, though! I don't see leveling up my squad making a very big impact so far in terms of anything other than the "orders", seems to only give your dudes an extra 2-5 HP per level.
Yeah, levels aren't all THAT important in the game, but there are a few bigger milestones. (I won't spoil it if you want a sense of wonder / discovery, but you can google it if you want to know why levels matter.)

"Couch co-op is the only true co-op." Richard of the Cooks.

Last edited by Chad; 06-07-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #4977
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.Big Rick Cook and the pigeons are one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
There are definitely a few levels that trial and error make it much easier, but I really enjoyed trying to adapt tactics on the fly and get a good ranking first time through without replaying missions. I was always leaning hardest on my scouts.
Scouts are the high ranking jam. I took Alicia on some epic solo runs to get the best rating as often as I could.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #4978
dragaron
Dragon + Aaron = Dragaron

dragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecubedragaron plays Resident Evil on the Gamecube

@Hrafn: I'm surprised how well Phantom Dust is holding up. It easily captures my interest for hours at a time. The character faces are butt-nasty, but other than that the atmosphere and gameplay are unique and intriguing.

@Mcardy: I really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) for a time, but kept making the same mistakes over and over again during a particular battle. Got frustrated to the point of quitting. It has gorgeous artwork, and deserves a second try. I never quite liked it as much as Operation Darkness, though. I'm a sucker for the Nazi-zombie-werewolf thing.

@Maijo: Disgaea 5 would be a must buy (probably before Zelda BotW even) for me if I bought a Switch. I'm waiting for the novelty (and consequential price gouging) to die down before I invest in one. I'm currently playing Disgaea 4 for the Vita, and am pretty deep into the item world thing.

Last edited by dragaron; 06-08-2017 at 12:13 AM.
dragaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:14 AM   #4979
Goyle
keep walking forward

Goyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310ozGoyle has a serving size of 310oz

My fiancee bought me Nier: Automata and Prey so, I'm set for a while.

I'm about an hour into Nier and I'm very into it so far. I've been spoiled by Dark Souls by being able to just save and quit wherever I want though.
Goyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:50 AM   #4980
Sampson
Hail Satan

Replayed SOTN for the first time in a while.

I'm starting to think the game really hasn't aged well. The presentation is top-notch and the boss battles are iconic and for the most part, great. But the core game is not as great as I remember. The assets -- backgrounds, enemies, etc -- are heavily reused. The controls are meh. Alucard isn't very responsive.

I think Super Metroid holds up well, but I think there are several modern indie Metroidvanias that have surpassed SOTN in quality. I put both Guacamelee and Ori ahead of it. Maybe others.