RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > RPG Maker > Game Forums > Police State

Old 10-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.
Echoes of the Forsaken Planet

This project, when released, is intended to evoke a stark sense of dread, despair, depression, defilement, disgust, damnation, and most importantly, devotion, within everyone who plays it.

I am going to give you a few details to whet your appetites, but don't even expect screenshots for at least the next 6 months. You all saw a sliver of what I was able to do with RPGM1's "Police state" demo, but much more is at my disposal today, and damn I am so glad to have access to it. I have the ability to fit as many custom graphics as I want. Custom music is possible. Custom sound effects are possible. Custom scripts, events, cinematics, battle systems, and everything else are possible. This game is going to be somewhat on the simpler side of things, harking back to the deliciously simple days of Chrono Trigger or Shining Force II, both serving as inspiration for the battle system. But it will have an art style of all its own, and every graphic will be custom.

The year, 2498. The planet, Kepler 186-f. The city, New Babylon. You take the role of 12-year old Grendel, hoping to make it to the last shuttle back to Earth, ever.

The aesthetic is sort of like a futuristic Bloodborne, a sort of gothic, dying, decayed, hard-core far-future sci-fi, post-apocalyptic world with its scenery inspired by films such as The Road, Hardware, A Nightmare Before Christmas, Blade Runner, and Screamers, where almost nothing lives or thrives, except all sorts of horrors lurk about the world in search of prey, many of the creatures which are inspired by those found in films like Alien, Event Horizon, Pandorum, Screamers, The Terminator, and Hellraiser as well as creatures present in games such as Bloodborne, Parasite Eve, the Resident Evil series, and Dark Souls.

A clue as to what I'm going for: the first dungeon is a sewer drenched in the blood of tens of thousands of corpses from the city above and their remains. Present are giant man-sized liver flukes flopping around like giant tongues and tapeworms as big around as a fat-lady's legs that try to mouth-rape your characters before forcibly entering themselves into them, as well as a monster rat the size of a school bus with its muscle tissue exposed due to mange composed of large parasitic mites the size of quarters(and that's when they're still babies and early adolescents), PLUS a horde of thousands of senile barely-functioning man-eating human cannibals wearing tattered rags, hunting your party every step of the way with whatever is available(some guns and crossbows, some nailbats, makeshift spears and crude shanks too, they're not zombies or reavers, just really, really sick and starving and braindamaged), having strewn traps about the dungeon in hopes of catching your party.

And that's without telling you anything that's actually going ON in the game. The plot is dark as hell and depresses me just thinking about it, and your first introduction to it will be the demo. I'm going to want the player to feel every sense of it. I want it to give them nightmares. One of the main characters is an 11 year old kid named Froggy who is extremely undernourished and has his mouth slit from cheek to cheek and whose tongue was forcibly amputated at an early age. Another is a creepy pedophile and serial rapist who mentally torments, manipulates, and mocks your party members whenever he's a party member(he's one of the few "good" guys in the game...). Yet another is a little girl whose eyes were removed, and who is also mute.

There will be more to come.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Redeye
You wasted time with this

Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.Redeye should consider running for president of the astronauts.
Re: Echoes of the Forsaken Planet

I absolutely love Bloodborne and basically anything involving eldritch creatures as the main conflict. What maker is this being created on? I’m not easily creeped out, in fact I enjoy grimdark stories like Game of Thrones and the Souls series, so the horror aspect of this sounds interesting, as long as you’re not a complete tool who thinks that jumpscares = scary.

Though, you really have to be careful with this. Making your story too dark might make the game come off as incredibly edgy or even boring if all the player is feeling is despair for the main characters. I doubt humor would work well in this, but games like Bloodborne averted the edginess by making the characters kind of badass. (Ludwig the Accursed battle is quite possibly the creepiest, yet possibly the greatest boss battle of all time.) All in all, just try not to go overboard.

Last edited by Redeye; 10-06-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Redeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.The Toecutter needs you to help identify a fungus.

I assure you that my visuals and themes will be extremely creepy, some might say, too much so, but that will not be the scariest aspect of the game. No, the horror will be moreso found in the game's story and what it actually means, something of which will not be shared much until a demo is ready, and you won't even get to those parts until the real game comes out anyway, whenever that happens to be.

It's shaping up to be something far more horrifying than the world of Police State is, and will be a commentary on real world events as well.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
The Toecutter
Techno-luddite

Anyhow, to answer your question Redeye, the maker I'm using is RPG Maker MV.

I also saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and now I'm tempted to re-write much of my story to make it less like that film... There was a lot of commonality between the two, which bothers me because I had my own original ideas well before this film had a trailer available... and too much of them happened to end up in the film because someone else had similar ideas. BR2049 is really good ****ing sci fi, folks... Fortunately, my core plot is very un-Blade Runner like, and is something far darker that can stand out on its own, even if there are a lot of stylistic and aesthetic similarities.

An example: my game starts with a terrorist attack on the domed city of New Babylon, population 126 million in an 81 sq mile area. New Babylon is the sole large settlement on Kepler 186-f. It is divided into three concentric rings, with the wealthy able to afford access to anywhere in the city, living in futuristic McMansions located in the inner ring along with all of the massive corporate towers, the middle class living in the second ring in overcrowded condos littered about with chain businesses, and everyone else living in the outer ring outside of the dome itself, littered with shantytowns built out of trash collected from the junk pile outside of the dome. A weaponized radiation burst delivered via a satellite causes a massive blackout on the city. The bio-printers used for production of food are destroyed and the genetic databanks used to print the product are wiped clean. The life support system that filters the outside atmosphere to produce breathable air inside of the city's dome and also to keep its climate habitable fails. The surveillance and AI network used to run all of the lights/traffic/credit currency/billing/gates between the cities rings/autonomous drones and police, also loses most function.

When I saw the Blade Runner 2022 Blackout anime shortly after seeing the film, I was a bit upset. It just had too many similarities.

Here's the difference: in my game's world, it's pandemonium in a massively over-crowded domed city that was built like a prison. A single functioning shuttle that can make it back to Earth remains, its departure time in 90 Earth days. I am going to go very dark places with this that no film/book/game/anime I know of did. A lot of survival horror aspects will be present. You get to see what happens to a city of 126 million people with nowhere to go to, nothing "real" to eat other than human flesh or poisoned rations, just enough resources to keep the upper 1% fed and comfortable for the remainder of their lives while everyone else is left to die, and enough space on the shuttle to allow the departure of a mere 2,000 of them.

Grendel and his father have a goal in mind: make it to the last ship off of the planet in order to assure survival. The story and its events revolve mostly around this, and the world will be unveiled as you play the game mostly in the form of hidden lore, item descriptions, scans(of enemys, NPCs, ect), battle encounters, objects examined in the field, ect. The game is no more dialogue heavy than most typical 16-32 bit jRPGs with regard to NPC interaction, but there are a lot of items in the environment to observe and examine, with rewards sometimes given out for doing so. The player will have total freedom to explore, make choices, and interact with what they choose, like a Western RPG, but will have a structured set of paths dictated by both decisions made and character alignment(Good/Neutral/Evil scale and a Law/Neutral/Chaos scale).

Scavenging for supplies, food, weapons, tools ect. will be essential to progressing the game. There will be similarly desperate people trying to hunt and loot/eat/rape you everywhere as well. A large majority of items/treasures/objects/NPCs and the placement thereof in most buildings will be procedurally generated, with the content of certain key areas pre-determined by me and consistent on each playthrough.

Death will be everywhere in this game. Lots and lots of corpses scattered about, because they don't disappear when they die.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 10-08-2017 at 07:09 PM.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote