RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #5121
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like
Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
Rocket League update!

I've still been playing, usually half an hour or so a day, more on weekends. After the last season ended I took some time off from Ranked and decided to focus on positioning and teamwork, learning how better to be a good team player and to rotate into and out of positions as needed and as it becomes apparent that no one else is bothering.

The result is that once I got back into Ranked, I've found I've had a much easier time of working up to Gold, and even landed in Gold in Doubles for a little while before I had several bad games in a row and dropped back to Silver.

It was weird because in the last season people in Ranked were generally nice and not dickheads about every random little mishap, but Casual play was just a garbage fire of terrible people being awful. This new season it has been the exact opposite, with some really toxic ****heads in Ranked that are making it difficult to even want to play, but Casual is just cheery and fine, no one cares.

The worst is that people make snap forfeit calls if the other team scores in the first minute, and they drop whatever effort they had already been giving, so it makes it impossible to win when it's 1v2 or 1v3, or even the other players on your team start actively hindering you because they want to forfeit and get to the next game. Like **** all of that, if you'd at least TRY we might still win, or at the very least learn something new from people who are obviously better than us and more coordinated.

I have never forfeited a game before, and I've never left early. Doesn't matter how bad I'm losing or if it's me against 3 people in Ranked. I'm sticking it out because every new opponent has something for me to learn, and I can't get better if I just quit every time the game goes wrong.

So I'm having a blast still, somehow, with this competitive sports game. I'm getting to the point that I feel like I need to get a Doubles teammate at a minimum, and try to find a 3s team to join so that I can really work on proper teamwork and rotations.
I think getting a proper teammate would go a long way. You can get some good feedback, and it's cool when you start to learn each others tendencies. I think gold is probably the most toxic rank in the game... generally there is such a wide ranging set of skills. There are people that have great positioning but **** mechanically, and aerial masters that don't under stand how to play defense.

Unranked match making was broken as hell after the Halloween update and I crashed hard into what is probably silver/gold and I just finally worked my way back up into that high diamond/champ level. The big problems I saw was too much hesitation and half rotations (guys look like they're rotating back but then turn back around and now we're both out of position). Really the biggest thing though is defensive rotations. If you're in the corner in your own half and really not capable of doing anything just drive towards the opposing goal a bit and then turn and rotate behind your teammates in net. Do not rotate back in a straight line because you end up clogging the lanes and screwing your teammates. People tend to REFUSE to rotate in that corner position, it's infuriating. Also try and be aware if a teammate has rotated behind you in net, that means you are free to challenge the opposing ball carrier. You don't even need to always block their shot, but just applying pressure on them can do wonders. Hope that makes sense.
Caciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #5122
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Yeah, it makes sense, thanks! Honestly the biggest improvement needed to my game is still fundamentals, as I whiff far too often in clutch moments where that is the difference in tying a game or winning. I half think it is a ping issue and a hitbox issue, because I still have problems with it looking like I'm good and then I am in fact not because the opposition hits the ball when I think they're too far away to hit it. I've had more success with just trying to imagine everyone is a couple microseconds ahead of where it looks like they are.

I did achieve my first aerial redirect goal off the wall a couple days ago, managing to follow the ball and change its trajectory right before entering the major contested zone in front of the goal. I was pretty jazzed about that.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #5123
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.Big Rick Cook likes greasy pork sandwiches on dirty ashtrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caciss View Post
Also try and be aware if a teammate has rotated behind you in net, that means you are free to challenge the opposing ball carrier. You don't even need to always block their shot, but just applying pressure on them can do wonders. Hope that makes sense.
I did want to comment on this, because at the level of play I'm in (tends to be high Silver with tiny forays into Gold right now {except Solo Standard because **** Solo Standard}), basically nobody is following any real rotation cycling and almost every time someone comes in behind me in net, they're not actually rotating in, just breezing through on their way to throw themselves with reckless abandon at the ball. So if I attempt to challenge it leaves both of us out of position and in each other's ways.

I have far more success right now mostly pretending that offensive ball carrier isn't a position I rotate into so much as it's completely situational when I'm staying on defense/goalie duty and I'm literally the only one who can get there in time, mostly because of my defensive positioning and save/clearing in a direction the opposition currently isn't, and my teammates also are not because they are wildly throwing themselves around.

This has actually led to my Goals percentage being double my Assists/Saves because I have been doing like you recommended earlier, which is letting people make mistakes and taking advantage of nobody being in any kind of position and leaving the field wide open. Essentially I'm learning when to have patience and when to be aggressive while also being mindful of where the ball is going to end up when I hit it, and who might be around to either intercept the clear or complete a play.

More often than not, though, if I manage to clear in a generally useful direction that I can't get to, there's no one on my team in position either because they were both coming in behind me to hit when I clearly had it, and now we're all midfield on the side tumbling over each other while the ball is floating out to center waiting for an easy goal from one to two opposing players who had the foresight to hang back and be ready.

1v1 Duels have been amazing in helping me to understand the finer points of patience versus aggression, because there's no one around to make up for your silly mistakes and bad play. It's just you and your ability to get around the enemy or prevent them getting through. Though of course the lessons in 1v1 aren't completely transferable to teamplay since you are definitely not going to have the time to bait and fake when there's other players around ready to mess up your play. The best part of what I learn in 1v1 for other modes is how to quickly change the tactic or make it appear I'm doing so when I'm on offense, and get players to commit to a trajectory that I can still change the ball from without them having the time to correct themselves. THAT has proven quite useful in team play because even though you're baiting and faking a primary target on the fly, if you're doing it fast enough the rest of their team can't react or will also be reacting the same way.

I would say I'm looking forward to hopefully breaking through the high Silver / low Gold tiers before too much longer, so that I can begin to actually coordinate effectively instead of trying and having teammates who can't or won't or don't even know it's a thing. My goal for this season is to actually get the third reward tier, which requires me to win 12 Gold-ranked matches. Once I stop making really terrible mistakes and making poor split-second decisions or hesitations that cost positioning or even goals, I think I'll at least be able to get into and stay in Gold as I work towards getting better and better.

I'm not sure how many hours I've dumped into the game at this point, but it's gotta be approaching a few hundred.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #5124
Caciss
hates everyone

Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like Caciss is walking around in the background like

Yeah fundamentals are huge, and obviously not as easy of thing to coach through writing. It will just come with time. Congrats on the redirect. It really becomes quite a thrill when you can start consistently placing the ball accurately into parts of the field and generating plays. I think I'd recommend trying some backboard clear training packs. This will elevate your defensive game and is really how you carry gold level players. It will also really give you the added benefit on improving your coordination when jumping off the wall. Nearly all gold level offensive efforts boil down to passing it along the backboard in front of net. Your wall game needs to be strong to break into Champion.

I also primarily play the third man role myself, but I play it very aggressively. Be very mindful of the second guy up. I'll basically do the opposite of whatever he's doing. If he starts veering off to right field, I'll angle myself towards the left half. Look to be where your teammates are not, or at the very least angle yourself where you can quickly move into unoccupied space. This is manageable even with the brain-deads, although obviously there will still be problem moments.

1v1's are great practice, really teaches you when to and not to challenge balls. If you're already learning how to fake out and play off your opponents expectations you'll go a long way.

I'm up to 1538 hours myself -_-. I have been playing since launch though. I read about guys with 600 hours on the subreddit reaching champion. Like **** off.

Last edited by Caciss; 11-18-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #5125
Big Rick Cook
Old-School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caciss View Post
I'm up to 1538 hours myself -_-. I have been playing since launch though. I read about guys with 600 hours on the subreddit reaching champion. Like **** off.
Ha, I enjoy the subreddit. It's always giving me something to look at and aspire towards. I still genuinely don't know why this is the competitive game that finally got its hooks into me and made me want to actually get good at it. Probably cause it's not a MOBA and/or a FPS and/or a dumb regular sports game.

On the subject of positioning again, I do struggle with trying to get myself into a position to be useful, and half the time it's because I look around the field to see where everyone is and where the ball is likely to go based on what I perceive players SHOULD attempt, and they almost never ever do what I think they're going to. I've been playing long enough that I'm pretty sure it's not because I am just bad at predicting what people are going to do and more that I expect my teammates to not slam into it willy nilly, and then they do. Obviously I'm putting a lot of blame on other players, but it's not always the case and sometimes I'm sure it's because I didn't get an accurate read of the field. Or there's players in the game who are much better at the game than anyone else and are just manipulating it for their own ends.

I really want to get past the hump of "sometimes I get placed into Ranked matches with super obvious new/inexperienced players" because almost all my frustration (that doesn't stem from "**** I ****ed that up") is "jesus ****ing christ dude STOP HITTING IT JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN".

My defense mechanism is to be as saccharine sweet, peewee league coach supportive as I possibly can at all times. Not even ironically. I'm on a mission to improve people's interactions during matches; it's mostly because trash talk has zero effect on me, yet I realize it obviously works on other people, so I do what I can to mitigate it.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 AM   #5126
Caciss
hates everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
Ha, I enjoy the subreddit. It's always giving me something to look at and aspire towards. I still genuinely don't know why this is the competitive game that finally got its hooks into me and made me want to actually get good at it. Probably cause it's not a MOBA and/or a FPS and/or a dumb regular sports game.
I've thought about that before. Like the second most played game on my steam account is only something like 40 hours. MOBA's tend to be huge time investments and are incredibly team dependent. Rocket League is very straight forward, there are no abstract sort of game concepts and there is an incredibly high skill ceiling. No **** AI to get ****** at like in FIFA.

Quote:
On the subject of positioning again, I do struggle with trying to get myself into a position to be useful, and half the time it's because I look around the field to see where everyone is and where the ball is likely to go based on what I perceive players SHOULD attempt, and they almost never ever do what I think they're going to. I've been playing long enough that I'm pretty sure it's not because I am just bad at predicting what people are going to do and more that I expect my teammates to not slam into it willy nilly, and then they do. Obviously I'm putting a lot of blame on other players, but it's not always the case and sometimes I'm sure it's because I didn't get an accurate read of the field. Or there's players in the game who are much better at the game than anyone else and are just manipulating it for their own ends.
Yeah that is the thing... a lot of times your teammates will drag you down but I can tell you CAN reach a level where you can reliably get past those ranks. The other team is subject to the same brain dead teammates after all.

If you have any way of posting a video (you're playing on PS4 right?) of you playing I give you some better advice.