RPG Maker Pavilion  

Go Back   RPG Maker Pavilion > General Discussion > Video Games

Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #5001
Goyle
cool story joe

Goyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received pudding
Re: Unofficially Official What are you Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
You're not missing a lot, Goyle.

I'm playing Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and I'm enjoying the new enemy placement, but I also remember why I didn't go back to it after platinuming the PS3 version. It's by far the weakest Souls game. 90% of the enemies are human(ish).
I'm pretty sure I've guessed the BIG TWIST already so unless theres something else waiting I'm not in any rush. I do like my boy 9S though.

I finished a marathon of all 3 Dark Souls games recently (including my first SotFS run) and yeah its just. Not great. It just feels like a slog after a while, it feels like there's so much game and not enough of it is interesting enough.
Goyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #5002
GLM
1989 POLOCOM

GLM is a fairly shiny person.

Don't get me wrong, the imagery of the giants walking across the ocean and the war with them in general is pretty interesting, but the game and most of the NPCs are just.. forgettable. I do love me some Lucatiel and Gavlan, though.

It's sort of hard to even say what "feels" wrong about it. It's got all of the Dark Souls tropes.. but lacks charm. You can definitely tell it wasn't the same director as Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I/III.

I was pretty bummed they didn't announce Bloodborne II at E3. It's by far my favourite of the bunch. There's something about the aggressive style of the combat.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #5003
1ce
Stay informed

1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.1ce is better than Cookie Crisp.

I was just about to try out Dark Souls since I've heard so much about the game and the game doesn't work.....bollocks.
1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #5004
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

Persona 5 really sucked.

To me, Symphony of the Night works best as an audiovisual experience. There's cool looking sprites, a mysterious castle, and a great soundtrack. It's also stuffed with a lot of mostly useless content, but the little details are important and they're a big reason that to me, every game IGA has produced since has felt lacking. There's probably a big degree of 'had to be there' to it, but it's got a lot of maximalist design. Tons and tons of stuff. No reason to use 99% of it.

Did Injustice 2 for a little while, I have a pretty decent Cheetah game, but something about it made me stop playing. I think I'm kind of over 2D fighters, but Tekken is the only player in the game for 3D, unless I want to play the now ancient DOA5.

I've been playing some of my older games, I stream Doom 2 for friend's entertainment on some nights, and was playing Catherine for a little while too. I think that is the best game Atlus ever made.

I've been playing Zelda as well, it's as good as people say it is, but I can't seem to find myself wanting to play for longer than a half hour at a time. I appreciate how well the physics system works, because the game would blow if that wasn't exactly perfect. I guess I don't really feel like I'm progressing with all the weapons breaking and ****.

Last edited by DK; 06-22-2017 at 09:02 PM.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #5005
Goyle
cool story joe

Goyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received puddingGoyle ate meat, received pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK View Post
Persona 5 really sucked.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this, because outside of some wonky translation bits and a couple gross jokes, Iadored P5. Its my first time playing a Persona game though, so I came in with no perspective.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #5006
Mcardy
Joe Biden from Space

Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.Mcardy discovered the rare atomic element Awesomite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ce View Post
I was just about to try out Dark Souls since I've heard so much about the game and the game doesn't work.....bollocks.
On PC or Console? If you're running it through Steam, google (or click ->) DSFix and it should help with a lot of resolution issues the game has since the OG PC port of the game wasn't very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM
Don't get me wrong, the imagery of the giants walking across the ocean and the war with them in general is pretty interesting, but the game and most of the NPCs are just.. forgettable. I do love me some Lucatiel and Gavlan, though.
We've hashed this out multiple times while you were gone. Me and Highwind like DS2, mainly because the gameplay is a hell of a lot tighter than the first one. I ragequit DS1 the first time I played it, then went back to it and beat it a year later, then played DS2:SOTFS and I think it just "clicked" for me. Maybe that's why I like it more than most, but it isn't a *bad* game by any regards. That said, replaying DS1, I did enjoy the more free-flow of the levels the SECOND time than I did the first, but that was because I knew where things were that would help my build would spawn.

(I've been meaning to play the PC DS randomizer mod which 'fixes' this and causes random loot displacement. I think that would be a great playthrough because you can't go into the game with previous knowledge and plan a build.)

A lot of people argue DS2 has the best PvP combat despite its stupid Soul Level matching restrictions. I never really PvP'd in the series but I feel that out of the 3 games, DS2 had the most interesting combat mechanics; especially considering "Power Stance" added a hell of a lot of variety to the game and to character builds.

I was always considering buying OG Dark Souls 2 because it seems the people who dislike it played that before SOTFS, but because they are two separate entities on Steam, it means buying it again. That, and because SOTFS was released, Namco-Bandai has refused to put OG DS2 on sale, it would mean $30 to play it. I am still tempted to buy OG DS2 because I f'ing love dark souls, and I am also really curious as to what the differences are in the first iteration compared to the "polished" version I played.

[edit: holy ****, for the first time since I've been tracking it, the OG DS2 is on Steam Sale for the summer sale. I am totally buying this for $11.]

Also, it spawned this, which always cracks me up:

Last edited by Mcardy; 06-23-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Mcardy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #5007
DK

DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like DK is walking around in the background like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this, because outside of some wonky translation bits and a couple gross jokes, Iadored P5. Its my first time playing a Persona game though, so I came in with no perspective.
You will be in the best position to enjoy the game if you've never played P3 or 4. In a lot of ways it is the best iteration of the formula established in Persona 3, and there is a lot to like in that formula.

But in a lot of ways, it also feels like a cheap cash in of greatest hits for the series. Showing up a decade after the previous game, it feels like Persona 4 HD, but it's also inferior in a lot of ways. The two new spell elements add little (the gun is more dynamic addition), and most of the boss fights are dull affairs with HP sponges that you simply have to outlast. In Persona 4, boss fights required a lot more thought and clever play, there were bosses that reacted to what elements you used, or had engaging two part fights, etc.

It doesn't help that the boss design in this game is actually really ****ty, too. A giant sphinx woman, an iron piggy bank. The last boss is actually a cup?

For all the time they spent making a new 3d engine for the game, it looks and sounds far worse than Catherine did on gamebryo (inb4 "well this is a much larger game!" Mementos is the ugliest of the SMT copy/paste dungeons yet).

This isn't even getting into the narrative, which is so softball and without consequence despite all the critics saying it's a brand new kind of story telling all sorts of radical, counter-culture messages. No one suffers any kind of consequence, Yosuke and Ann seem to change characters completely to fit cutscenes, Haru is introduced so late that you never really get to meet her unlike the final party members in 3 and 4. The only character moments outside of the S-Link stories (which are pretty isolated from the main narrative) is that she likes horror movies if you accept a going out day with her on a Sunday, which by that point in the game you may not if you're scrambling to get other S-Links done.

Every s-link felt like the same story too. "Hey I'm in this circumstance because someone is extorting me, can you help?" Coming off of previous games dealing with things like the end of life, survivor's guilt, etc. these were pretty lame. On the flip side, a punk rock doctor wanted to sleep with me...

It's not all bad, I liked Morgana a lot more than Teddie and the Tokyo you get to walk around in is vibrant and neat (though you can just do the same thing yakuza). Its possible I'm just over this type of game where you are a silent protagonist that is everyone's best friend (hearing the MC of P4 with a voice and his own urgent actions in Persona 4 arena showed me what the series COULD be like).

You never do anything wrong even if you pick the ****tiest responses to people in conversation everyone still loves you. It all feels like smoke and mirrors and after a decade of development, I was really expecting to start seeing some new, interesting systems brought to the table.

Also, Palace 7 can go straight to hell.

our boy Kefka wrote some similar thoughts on the game as well.

If you liked P5, Goyle, definitely check out P4. You will like it even more, it's a great game.

Last edited by DK; 06-23-2017 at 08:15 AM.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #5008
GLM
1989 POLOCOM

GLM is a fairly shiny person.

I've been holding back on P5 for a sale, but now I'm wondering. I was always aware of the series, but I started with Persona 4 Golden, which I loved. Should I bother?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #5009
Jamos
Ultimate Authority on Fun

Jamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bisonJamos smells like fresh bison

I don't think I've ever disagreed with Dreamy so much on a game than with P5. Though I do agree about palace 7 going to hell. I found it to be a fun experience and it added a nice polish to the things that made P4 great. I still love P4 quite a bit more, but I really appreciated P5. Gloomy, if you are curious about P5 I would say go give it a try. However if you are really on the fence, wait for a sale or something to come up. I, for one, don't tend to pay pull price for games I'm not entirely sure about.

Add me... I'll wait.
Jamos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #5010
Goyle
cool story joe

I think DK and Kefkas criticisms are all fair and pretty on the nose, but honestly for me I think they're also part of the reason I liked the game so much.

I came in with zero expectations, and realized pretty early on "oh, this is just a shounen anime" and adjusted my expectations accordingly, and from that view point I had a blast with a self-indulgent rebellious power fantasy that struck some very specific chords relating to my state of mind lately.

Could it have been a more complex, deeper experience? Oh, for sure, but even so something about it got me hooked and its going to stick with me for a long time.

Incidentally, I'm very interested in visiting P4, but i need to get a Vita or PSTV first.