View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.
Re: Field of Dreams: Results Thread

Test Facility by Pagerron

Average Score: 87%

Wavelength's Review:

Pagerron put together one of the most interesting and unique maps I've ever seen. Your experience with Test Facility will be short, but sweet. Test Facility is a manmade bunker that feels like it came straight out of Area 51. Its piece de resistance is a floating spaceship which must be the product of several joined event models. It looks great.

The environment is stark--the edges are straight and feel man-made, and wonderfully jagged mountains line the horizon. A well-built staircase seems to have been constructed from Coffin Relic models. A small "living quarters" segment rounds out the feel--it's a perfect use of a "mini-map." Pagerron did a great job creating a sense of place, and an equally good job making his map fun to interact with, even though it's over quickly.

I could niggle about the odd choice of starting location or the slightly-too-blunt writing, but those are mere freckles on a beautiful piece of work. Test Facility is a true Field of Dreams, and a great example of what RPG Maker 3 is capable of when you let your imagination (and memory limits) run wild.

AESTHETICS: 9.0
WANDERLUST: 8.0
ORIGINALITY: 9.5
TECHNICAL: 10

TOTAL FROM WAVE: 89%

JPS' Review:

+ Very interesting World design
+ The alien sphere event was awesome, I didnt know there was a way to move vertically
+ Building the ship was awesome
+/- Some events are clunky, you have to be in an exact spot to be able to activate them, no points taken though on account of not being able to fix it
- Managed to go into "New Town 1," which should have been blocked off, perhaps by an extra decoration

The map offered a very intriguing look at what could be done with RPGM3, with the creation of a space ship and buried events, I was kind of disappointed he didnt make it bigger with more warps to buildings, but overall it was a very good and interesting map.

AESTHETICS: 9.0
WANDERLUST: 7.0
ORIGINALITY: 10
TECHNICAL: 9.0

TOTAL FROM JPS: 86%

Obright's Review:

My initial reaction upon first viewing Pagerron's map was how different it looked from any other RM3 map that I had ever seen. I mean I've seen people do some amazing things with the map maker, like making flat paths through the landscape that look like the natural landscape had been altered my man, but Page's map took that a step further. His map took that idea to the extreme, and wound up looking 100% man-made, which is extremely difficult to pull off with RM3's map editor. The corners are sharp and even, as were the top edges of the walls...yup...WALLS.

The overall concept of the map is also very interesting and innovative, as the map is actually a huge space ship testing facility. As the player, you actually build and test the ship yourself! Little touches like 'beaming up to the ship' were amazing, and added to the mysterious atmosphere of the map.

Aesthetics: Since the map was meant to be a base for scientific research, the lines and forms tended to be a little repetative, as mankind's buildings are wont to be, but the choice of different terrains which make up the facility work well in my opinion. The surrounding mountains also set off the facility very well, with the contrast of naturalistic forms and greenery. I didn't really like the use of the desert terrain on those mountains, but I liked the idea of using multiple kinds of terrains on them to add interest. Perhaps the stone terrain would have worked a little better?

Wanderlust: The map was rather small, and there was really only 1 panoramic vista to view, but in spite of this I was compelled to explore what was there due to the outlandish nature of the surroundings. The one vista is viewed from the top of the 'launching ramp', but everywhere else on the passable part of the map is surrounded by a wall, which limits the view.

Originality: What can I say...it's the most original, innovative map I've ever seen for RM3.

Technical: I saw no points to deduct from the technical score. The fact that Pagerron chose a geometric, man-made scheme for his map oppened up MANY opportunities for nit-picking, but he did a great job making his map look built, not naturally formed.

AESTHETICS: 8.0
WANDERLUST: 8.0
ORIGINALITY: 10
TECHNICAL: 10

TOTAL FROM OBRIGHT: 86%

Average Score: 87%

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Last edited by Valkysas; 03-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.