View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.
Re: Field of Dreams: Results Thread

Summer's Coast by Irate Giraffe

Average Score: 69%

Wavelength's Review:

Summer's Coast by Irate Giraffe

Summer's Coast is a beautiful and idyllic map which conjures up Tom-Sawyer like nostalgia by presenting a welcoming coastline and two wildflower-filled towns that feel like they are there just for you to explore.

Irate Giraffe has done a great job taking the most beautiful elements of a summertime beach scene and turning them into a playable map. You start in a canyon--you need to actually walk over a steep threshold--and once you do, you are treated to a dramatic tropical view. There are dozens of islands in the distance and they look spectacular in sunshine or moonlight. The view from outside of Seascape is incredible. In terms of raw beauty, Summer's Coast takes the cake.

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot to do. Buildings in town are devoid of any people or objects--in fact, the whole world is pretty devoid of people and objects, except for a turtle egg that you can accidentally crush and a funny, lascivious magazine you can find. The towns in particular were a little disappointing--they amounted to a lot of running around for no apparent reason.

Between the lack of interaction and the commonplace setting, Summer's Coast doesn't offer much in the way of new and different, but it's beautiful, and it's worth checking out for the sense of place that it creates.

Technical Deductions:
-2 points because I got stuck behind a plant inside the Sanctuary, and had to restart

AESTHETICS: 9.0
WANDERLUST: 7.5
ORIGINALITY: 6.5
TECHNICAL: 8.0

TOTAL FROM WAVE: 79.5%

JPS' Review:

+ Beautiful landscape
- No real exploring at all

At first I thought I was in for a real treat seeing the memory at 25%, but it turned out to be a lot of running for a balloon ride and a dirty magazine in a cathedral.

AESTHETICS: 8.0
WANDERLUST: 5.0
ORIGINALITY: 4.0
TECHNICAL: 10

TOTAL FROM JPS: 65%

Obright's Review:

Irate Giraffe's map was fairly simple, but there were several nooks and crannies to explore in it. The terrain was pretty, but not to the extent that some of the other maps were.

SCORES:

Aesthetics: There were places where the path was tilted at a 45 degree angle, which always just looks awkward to me. It doesn't hinder movement, so I didn't count off on the technical score, but it just looks bad in my opinion. There also was not very much variety in terrain types, decorations, or other things which would have added interest. This lack of variety makes for a very thematically unified map, but visually it's rather bland. IG chose a theme, explored it fully and stuck with it, and there's a lot to be said for that.

Wanderlust: There were some nice views, but no obvious way to get to any of the places in view, because they were all islands. You're told at the outset that a balloon ride will take you to another one of those islands, and that there was a hidden sanctuary along the coast somewhere, so that's two things that you know of to be found from searching. However, once you found them, there wasn't much else to find. If it was possible to FLY in the game, then this map's wanderlust score would have been higher.

Originality: This map was not terribly original, yet in all my RM3 playing I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone attempt to make a tropical island map like this, so I can't say the map is totally unoriginal either.

Technical: I saw nothing to deduct points for in this category.

AESTHETICS: 7.0
WANDERLUST: 5.0
ORIGINALITY: 5.0
TECHNICAL: 10

TOTAL FROM OBRIGHT: 63%

Average Score: 69% (rounded from 69.17%)

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Last edited by Valkysas; 03-16-2008 at 04:30 PM.