View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Wavelength
Counter Logic Posting

Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.Wavelength 's current rep comment is activated at 3600 points. Just throwin' that out there.
Re: Field of Dreams: Results Thread

Nalzdia by Lausen

Average Score: 80%
Rank: Not Applicable (this is not Lausen's highest-scoring map)

Wavelength's Review:

Nalzdia is one of the most epic Field maps I’ve ever seen in an RPG Maker game. Explore it to its fullest and you will see mountains, archipelagos, marshes, wasteland, beaches, fields of flowers, and much more. The mountains and beaches in particular were painstakingly crafted to wonderful effect, and although the quick changes in terrain occasionally detract from the artistic direction, the map is a resounding success on the whole.

It’s the little touches that make Nalzdia such a pleasure to view and to play. Trigger a certain event and a rainbow will appear over an island chain, creating perhaps the most beautiful single view I saw throughout this entire contest. Run alongside the river and you’ll find a realistic, walkable bridge created from both terrain and decorative models. Get a view from the mountain path from afar, and you’ll see dozens of beautifully-made peaks coming together to create a distinct terrain feature.

You can find a couple of keys (which each unlock one of the Towns on the map) by looking in the right place or completing extremely simple “puzzles.” I wish the interactivity felt tighter and more coherent (like in Lausen’s own Land of Chaos map)—especially since the towns (though very nicely laid out) don’t offer anything too interesting—and the Field isn’t any better for having them.

Despite these minor flaws, Nalzdia offers a lot to anyone who plays it, and the visual impressions it created in my mind will not soon disappear. This is exactly the kind of map I was hoping to see in the contest, and I recommend everyone check it out for inspiration in creating great-looking natural features.

Technical Deductions:
-1.0 (2 x 0.5) for two spelling errors

AESTHETICS: 9.0
WANDERLUST: 8.0
ORIGINALITY: 7.5
TECHNICAL: 9.0

TOTAL FROM WAVE: 84%

JPS' Review:

+ Good Dialogue
+ Good Humor
+ Undersea level was entertaining
+ Great use of layout and resources
+Land development is very smooth
+/- Key found in tree, easily missed if you weren't paying attention, but good for adventurers.
- Mountains are too spiky for mountains
- Found myself lost sometimes (Key, anyone?)
- Fairly generic do-this-for-that type things (keys? come on Lausen..I know you better then that...lol)

A pretty good map, Lausen definitely uses up the whole map to make you walk, I found myself walking to A and B more then exploring though, which kind of became frustrating after a while, a few well placed "warp points" could have worked in this "C" shaped continent, just for the sake of looking for more stuff.

The design of the map is very beautiful and artistically done; I didnt see anything out of place or odd...with the exception of the big green tree in the middle of a wasteland.

AESTHETICS: 8.0
WANDERLUST: 7.0
ORIGINALITY: 6.0
TECHNICAL: 10

TOTAL FROM JPS: 75%

Obright's Review:

This map had an awful lot going for it as far as things to do, and innovative touches to keep things interesting and encourage exploration. However, there one or two things which hampered the experience for me.

Aesthetics: Lausen's first map submission was definitely nice looking, with a variety of different terrain types and landforms. There weren't many places to gain a really good view, but there were one or two. There were many sub-areas which were interesting, and they were all strung together very well.

Wanderlust: Because of the many sub-areas and the way they were joined together mentioned previously, I never felt like I was being herded along, even though technically I was to a certain extent. There were lots of places visible on the horizon that encouraged exploration. There was one problem though, and unfortunately it's a fairly big one...invisible walls caused by the map's borders. I know the map looks better when it's not obviously contained within a square, but having big flat areas bisected by a huge invisible wall just killed my desire to explore. If there had been something like a water barrier, large boulders, or a fence that let me know that I wouldn't be able to go there anyway then things would have been different, but it seemed like every single time I got into the exploration groove...BAM! Invisible wall. Reluctantly, I had to count off from the wanderlust score for this.

Originality: I saw many things which I've never seen done before with RM3 in this map (some of them were quite amazing), so naturally the originality score will be fairly high. Still, the small, original touches don't change the fact that it's still a fairly straight-forward map for the most part.

Technical: I saw nothing to deduct points for in this category.

AESTHETICS: 8.0
WANDERLUST: 7.0
ORIGINALITY: 9.0
TECHNICAL: 10

TOTAL FROM OBRIGHT: 81%

Average Score: 80%
Rank: Not Applicable (this is not Lausen's highest-scoring map)

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Last edited by Valkysas; 03-16-2008 at 05:26 PM.