Release Plan & Demos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release Plan & Demos

Links to various builds of Zombiquest will be posted here, as well as info about future releases.

(The only reason these aren't on the Pavilion website yet is because I'm not fully satisfied with the quality of these demos.)

Chapter 1 2010 Demo:
    Early proof-of-concept demo.
    Build a party, fight monsters, & level up.
    Lacks sound and uses ugly placeholder graphics.

Link for 2010 Demo:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?uur7zeaabcu4mq3

2012 Prologue Demo
    Much more atmospheric, story-driven chapter.
    Develops the relationship of Joe and Sue more.
    Also hints a bit at their past history.
    However, it creates more questions than it answers.
    Grisly horror theme. Relatively few battles.
    Some glitches, and I don't like the main battle theme at all.

Link for 2012 Prologue:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hhgkpicyv19c25f

1. Download file
    2. Unzip the folder
    3. Open folder called "Zombiquest - The Prologue" or "Zombiquest"
    4. Double-Click the dragon icon called "Game"
    5. Game should start

Future release plans:

Last edited by Xisthruos; 02-08-2015, 03:47 PM.

Re: Release Plan & Demos

I had fun with both of these, and if people are seeing this they should give them a try!

Comment

That second screenshot is awesome.
      (And the last is broke.)
      "What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

Comment

Originally posted by Draygone View Post
        That second screenshot is awesome.
        (And the last is broke.)
        The last picture was taken from my blog, and somehow the url magically became several pages long. Not messing with that. Just replaced it with the same picture with a different source (albeit a different resolution.) Enjoy the creepy eyeball blob.

Thanks for the continued interest, everyone. I've been thinking in great detail about how I'm going to produce some kind of a demo in a reasonable amount of time (a year), but it's overwhelming, to say the least. I think once I start working on it, things will become clearer. (I notice things usually seem the most impossible when I'm NOT actively working on them.) I'm probably going to have to omit sound and some enemy graphics to save time, so the end result may resemble the sketchy 2010 demo.

Finished a couple of sections of the Curio district. Close to finishing, but also still very far. I'll post what I have in the Enviro topic around 1/22.

Comment

I'm downloading both files now. Both my time and my capacity to concentrate are limited these days, but these look like fun, and I will look forward to giving them a try soon, I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHonorableRyu View Post
            I had fun with both of these, and if people are seeing this they should give them a try!
            I might just have to. I love the artwork; reminds me of Earthbound (that's a very good thing). Can't go wrong with zombies, either.

Comment

Thank you for the interest, Ωbright and dragaron!

For anyone else interested, both of these projects might take around an hour to play individually, so it's not a huge time investment.

Originally posted by dragaron View Post
              I love the artwork; reminds me of Earthbound (that's a very good thing).
              I didn't consciously try to mimic Earthbound graphics, but when my screens started resembling Earthbound's, I didn't try to fight it either!

They are very clearly amateur projects, and have some elements that are not as strong as others. Ch.0 has my first-ever attempts at audio design, and some parts are a little weak, but hopefully not annoying.

If anyone who plays through these can post any bugs they've encountered, I will try to keep a log on this forum. (I'm not going back to the 2010 demo though, so bug reports on Ch. 0 would be more useful.) Any critiques or other feedback would be extremely helpful as well!
              Last edited by Xisthruos; 01-25-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragaron View Post
                I might just have to. I love the artwork; reminds me of Earthbound (that's a very good thing).
                Me too, and I'd also say that not just the artwork but the exploration is like Earthbound, as in you can never be sure what fun, surprising, quirky thing you'll encounter on the next screen. But if you play them you'll see that Xisthruos clearly has his own vision; he's not making a mere imitation Earthbound.

Like Xisthruos said, the 2012 Prologue demo is more atmospheric and story-driven (so that's the reason to play that one), but I also liked the party building of the Chapter 1 2010 demo. Basically, in addition to your main character you have three other "races" of characters (Soldier, Zombie, Cultist) each with different job classes/grow routes to chose from. I replayed the demo several times with different combinations.

Comment

Thanks, Ryu. I wish I could give you more than just rep.

Edit: I might have talked myself into promising a playable demo. That's not going to work. I'd prefer moving ahead like I did when I began this forum, with an 'environments first' mentality and requesting feedback as I go along, because I believe this is the smoothest method of producing Zombiquest, and I've been enjoying getting feedback so far. It's also made my designs better. If I complete the levels and arrange them in a way that tells a story, that takes care of most of the work, and scripting events & story is much, much easier than if I try to do things in a linear manner where I can get distracted by insignificant minutia. This has been my personal experience working on RPG projects for 15 years, at least.

I've settled on an area to focus on elsewhere in the game. I'll post pictures as I finish more of it.
                  Last edited by Xisthruos; 02-07-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Is this still in the works? I've wondered about the status of this. Hopefully you will return to the pavilion, zombie-friend.
                    The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X