Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sovereign Guard (New project with VX Ace)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovereign Guard (New project with VX Ace)

I’m sure some of you probably remember me from a few years back. I used to be pretty active around the Pav. Life has been pretty crazy, but I never dropped RPG Maker completely. I fiddled with RPGM 1 for a long time until I realized I would never have the time to complete a game with it. The lack of keyboard support really hinders it. But around 6-7 months ago I picked up VX Ace, my first Computer maker. It sort of blew my mind with how much more you can do with the software. I’ve spent most of that time working on smaller things learning the software and what could be done with it. I popped in and out of here with some questions, but never wanted to post about a project until I was a little more committed.

That brings me to my most recent project. Of course, I still fall into the trap of making games on WAY too large of a scale to ever really complete, but the premise of my new game kind of supports that. The game revolves around a small upstart mercenary group, the Sovereign Guard. You begin with a few tents and build up a base of operation from there, eventually ending up with a small city.

The game is pseudo open world. You run around doing quests for NPC’s to build up a reputation, recruiting new warriors, finding building materials, ect… Very much like Dragon Age Inquisition. This setup allows me incorporate most of my ideas into one game. I have a nasty habit of thinking up a character, quest, puzzle, scenario, whatever it might be and it doesn’t work in my current game so I start a side project. Then neither of them get done. With this I am able to add just about anything into the game and make it work. So even if this becomes something I only mess with on and off again in the coming years I will be able to make progress. Or a jumbled mess of my ideas all in one place. Regardless, it gives me a creative outlet.

All of that being said, I have a substantial amount done already. Kind of. I think. Here are some screen shots of my progress.

The player gets to choose what the main character looks like.

You also get to select your starting class.

More info to come.
    Last edited by Lausen; 07-26-2015, 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Sovereign Guard (New project with VX Ace)

Lausen,

It's great to see you at the Pav again!
    How cool that you're working on a new RPG game.

I like the idea of giving players to choose a class and a look for their character.
    I don't know a lot about The computer RPG Makers as far as what preloaded graphics look like and everything, but I really like the screenshot of the castle and the one with the pile of bloody bodies is something too.

Are the larger maps towards the end maps of the over world? They look cool too.

I wish you the best with Sovereign Guard.

(By the way, I can totally understand what you're saying about getting ideas and then starting side projects. In the end, I think a lot of us who are still making games are doing it partly just because we get enjoyment out of the creation process itself.)
    Last edited by Pagerron; 07-26-2015, 08:47 PM.
    " I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. " - Jesus

Comment

How different are the starting classes? Are some more difficult to work with than others?

Any chance of a demo?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHonorableRyu View Post
        How different are the starting classes? Are some more difficult to work with than others?

Any chance of a demo?

The first post was thrown together pretty quick at work today, but I wanted to get something posted. There will be a lot more information edited into it eventually. One thing that I used to do when I was more active here was; "waste" a bunch of time giving updates and browsing the forums instead of actually working on my games themselves. haha I'm gonna try to avoid that, because I have an addictive personality. If I start again I will never stop.

As for the classes, it's been a bit of a challenge making them feel different enough at the opening segments of the game, while making it so they are all capable of beating early enemies. The combat focuses on a party of 4, but the opening you are by yourself until you join the mercenary company. So it's been tricky, but you unlock more pretty early on. As well as gain a full party.

And I will probably have a demo eventually. Who knows how big of a project this will turn into. It would make sense to release one once I have a decent amount completed. I haven't worked too hard on balancing though. It's all placeholders as of now.

Page, the larger maps are screen shots from within the editor whereas the smaller ones are in game.
        Last edited by Lausen; 07-27-2015, 01:52 AM.

Comment

It looks really good! I like the description, and I really like the screenshots.

Ace (and to a lesser extent XP) is really the go-to platform for making your dream RPG. The PS makers have their advantages but as far as easily creating unexpected or interesting gameplay, they don't compare to the PC ones.

Standard combat system, or something different?

Looking forward to more info, or hopefully a demo!

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Comment

Originally posted by Lausen View Post
            The first post was thrown together pretty quick at work today, but I wanted to get something posted. There will be a lot more information edited into it eventually.
            Understood! I'm looking forward to more details. The maps are looking good and it seems that the class selection menus are in good order.

Originally posted by Lausen View Post
            As for the classes, it's been a bit of a challenge making them feel different enough at the opening segments of the game, while making it so they are all capable of beating early enemies. The combat focuses on a party of 4, but the opening you are by yourself until you join the mercenary company. So it's been tricky, but you unlock more pretty early on. As well as gain a full party.
            Yeah, that's the challenge, but a major appeal of picking a starting class/creating a player character is for the classes to be meaningfully different or to suit different play styles. How much gameplay time do you think will elapse before the player gains the full party?

I've played a lot of RPG Maker RPGs where most enemies and classes feel samey, and do all the same stuff with a different name (all the enemies in an area have similar HP and pose the same threat level; fighters and mages both deal the same damage to each enemy but the fighter's skill is called something like Strong Slash and the Mage's Fire 1). But even assuming you're using a roughly default battle engine, there's really a lot you can do to make different classes play differently.

For example, since RPGM1 I've been a fan of dividing enemies into armor classes (usually heavy, medium, and light) and making different weapons and skills effective or ineffective against different types of armor types. One could make it so that, say, a Lancer specializes in armor-piercing attacks than other classes and thus is better at taking out enemies with heavy armor than a Soldier or Thief (but not as good at taking out medium or light armor enemies). Or make Archers more accurate and thus better at taking out enemies with light armor and high evasion (but not as good at taking out heavy armor enemies). Add a strong magic and element system (some enemies are much weaker to magic or certain elements than others, but only some classes have access to magic or certain elements) and you could give players the same set of enemies in the beginning and different classes will find completely different enemies more troublesome.

Maybe a Thief has the lowest combined defense and magic defense stats and must rely on Stealth to evade damage, but the cost of Stealth is too high to have on in every battle, and a distinguishing characteristic of playing a Thief is deciding what battles are the most dangerous and hence when or when not to use Stealth. Maybe an Archer uses different kinds of consumable arrows (Light, Heavy, Fire, Poison, etc.) and a distinguishing characteristic of playing an Archer is item stocking and management. Etc.

With stuff like this you can give the player the same set of tasks at the beginning, but they'll solve them differently, will find some areas easier and others more difficult than when playing other classes. This could help the player appreciate different roles more and how they complement one another once they gain a full party.

Comment

Here are two quick screens of the combat system. It's a relatively traditional atb battle style.

Ryu, those are some great suggestions and examples. I really like the idea of arrow management. I'm not entirely sure how I would implement that as I am not the best with scripts, but it's something I might look into. The player gets a full party around the 1-2 hour mark. It's pretty open ended though. There are a lot of quests that can be done that are not needed to advance the story.

Again, as of now the battle system has been on the back burner as far as the creating process goes. I've done a lot of thinking about it, but have been focusing on eventing and getting content done. My vision is something similar to FFX. Like you suggested, classes that are good at puncturing armor and only certain weapons can hit ranged enemies. My initial thought is the archer is an expert at finding and exploiting enemy weaknesses. The second picture is of a low level Pugilist. They are martial artists that string attacks together, just like a real fighter would. So if you save up enough Energy they can do long powerful combos, such as: Jab, Cross, Hook, Head Kick.

If you guys have any other ideas I would love to hear them. My biggest issue is figuring out how to implement them. I am still pretty lost when it comes to custom battle formulas.
              Last edited by Lausen; 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Sounds good. Good idea with the FFX model and the Pugilist combos.

If you have an idea that you're not sure how to implement, you could ask around here. Having skills cost items (like arrows), for example, is easy to do with a script like Yanfly's Skill Cost Manager script. If you used a script to get the Pugilist combos working, skills that cost items should be easier to implement.

Comment

I guess I should rephrase what I said earlier. I am competent enough at setting up and using scripts. It's the actual hard coding that goes over my head. I wouldn't have the slightest idea where or how to edit the code. Also, I really like how easy it is to screen shot with the pc makers. haha I remember the struggle I used to go through to get a single picture of my RPGM 1 games. I'm probably over doing it, but it helps me show the progress and what I mean.

I found a script that does exactly what I was looking for. If you have the Archer class equipped it replaces the shield option with a quiver, where you can select whatever arrow you have. The script also allows me to edit the amount of arrows each skill uses. So if I want I can make a skill called Triple shot that will use 3 arrows to use. Overall, I am very happy with the result. I really appreciate the suggest, Ryu. I think it will add a lot to the uniqueness of the class.

Another thing I wanted to show was how you get stronger in the game. Your characters themselves do not level up, just the classes. As you battle you earn SP that you spend in the class menu. You use it to unlock better skills and permanent stat boosts that stay on the character even if you switch classes. So it is beneficial to level many classes to get the stat bonuses. Of course you do not have every skill and boost unlocked at the start. Some only unlock based on class level, while others require multipal skills to be known. This allows you to upgrade skills as well. Take the soldiers Shoulder Bash skill for instance. It has a 30 percent chance to paralyze the opponent. If you unlock the upgrade it will deal extra damage and have a 45 chance. Upgrading like this replaces the old skill entirely allowing them to stay relevant throughout the game.

The last thing that I wanted to show was the quest journal. I intend to have MANY quests in Sovereign Guard. It was only natural that there is a way to track them and your progress. The great thing with the game being so open and filled with quests is that I can jump around and really work on anything I want. If I get inspiration for a story, I can tell it through a quest. Ideally I would have some form of mini map, but from what I have seen it would require a lot of work. As of now I am planning on doing fast traveling from stables and having an item called a Travel Map that you can buy/earn/find. It will give you a list of the major cities you can fast travel to. You can only use the maps once though.

Comment

Looks like you've got some good game features up and running.

Handling character stat growth through permanent stat increases between the different classes is interesting, but it could get tricky to balance. On one hand, you probably shouldn't allow characters to become overpowered (easily slaughtering everything and taking little damage) by using all their SP on stat growth; on the other hand, you probably would want the stat increases to make a difference (i.e., not negligible compared to equipment stats). It might also be cool if the individual characters had slightly different skill trees within each class. Like perhaps each character has a unique skill or two that enables character-specific skills within each class (that still fit the overarching theme of the class). Since it sounds like it's beneficial by design to switch classes in your game, this could help your characters feel less like clones or blank slates battle-wise.

Some of us know a bit of coding, so if there's a feature that you want to implement but don't know how, feel free to ask.
                    Last edited by TheHonorableRyu; 08-01-2015, 01:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yeah, balancing is something I have been a little worried about. I was thinking about using a script so enemies level along side the party. It looks like Yanfly's allows for a lot of options as far as that goes. It's something I am going to look into more once that time comes. You're right, Ryu. The last thing I want is for all the characters to be carbon copies. I want them to be strong at certain roles, but capable of branching out.

I have been thinking of a way to make a Spear Toss skill. When used it will deal massive damage and be capable of hitting ranged enemies. But I want to make it so you don't have any weapon equipped for the next turn. Is something like that even doable with custom battle formulas?

I leave for a short term mission trip to Big Sky Montana tomorrow morning. It's goes until the 10th so I won't be making any progress on this in that time. Maybe I'll have some time to think about it, but I'm probably going to be pretty busy. School starts shortly after that so the time I can spend on this is going to be cut by a lot. Not that I have much free time to begin with. haha I am hoping I will be able to putz around with map making during the school year. Time will tell I guess.

Comment

All of Ryu's ideas here are good. I particularly like the idea of unique class-themed skill for each character to make them feel unique while still allowing for deep customization.

Additionally, if your "Skill Tree" system allows for it, you could sacrifice a bit of flexibility in favor of balance and long-term strategy by having certain prerequisites or paths in the tree, much like a "tech tree". So you could choose between Atk + 4, Spear Toss, or Resist Confusion at the first level, and buy as many as you want, but the Atk +8 at the second level might require Resist Confusion (but not necessarily Atk + 4) to buy so that you can't just buy Attack Stat after Attack Stat.

As far as the disarm thing, don't bother using battle formulas to do that use a script (there might be ones out there for this already; otherwise it wouldn't be extraordinarily difficult to make one) to disarm your character for a short time after they use this skill.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Comment

Originally posted by Wavelength View Post
                          Additionally, if your "Skill Tree" system allows for it, you could sacrifice a bit of flexibility in favor of balance and long-term strategy by having certain prerequisites or paths in the tree, much like a "tech tree". So you could choose between Atk + 4, Spear Toss, or Resist Confusion at the first level, and buy as many as you want, but the Atk +8 at the second level might require Resist Confusion (but not necessarily Atk + 4) to buy so that you can't just buy Attack Stat after Attack Stat.

As far as the disarm thing, don't bother using battle formulas to do that use a script (there might be ones out there for this already; otherwise it wouldn't be extraordinarily difficult to make one) to disarm your character for a short time after they use this skill.
                          That's what I've been planning. The skill tree script I am using allows for a lot of customization as far as prerequisites go. I don't want the player to be able to buy stat boosts over and over. Each class will have a maximum amount that can be purchased. Some will require the class to be a minimum level others will require the player to have unlocked skills or stat bonuses already.

Looking through the script it allows lines of code to be used as a prerequisite. I am assuming there is a way for it to check that it is for a certain character before the skill will appear in the skill tree. That way only Tails, the first available archer (Unless the player selects it as the starting class) can learn the skill Arrow Rain. It's coding like that that I am unsure of. I'll have to mess around with it when I get back from the trip.

Comment

Judging from the 2nd screenshot in your last post with screenshots, it looks like you're using Yanfly's "Learn Skill Engine" script. That script has a built-in feature where you can make it so that a skill won't appear in the skill learning menu unless another skill has already been learned.

Just put one of the following tags into the skill's note box in the database, and replace "x" with the ID number of the skill(s) you want the character to have learned already before they can learn the skill:

Code:
                            <learn require skill: x>
                            Code:
                            <learn require skill: x, x>
                            If each character had at least one unique skill that only they can learn, giving them character-specific skills to learn within a class could be as simple as designating that unique skill as a requirement. It seems like this is very well suited for what you're envisioning.

As for a Spear Toss ability, I could have sworn I've seen a plug-in script for tossing equipped weapons before (and I even have some brief game design notes for a samurai-themed RPG where tossing your weapon would deal instant critical hits and cancel certain enemy stances, but also not only make you unable to attack with your weapon but unable to parry or counter attacks, until weapon retrieval), but I'm not finding one now upon google searching. However, like Wavelength said, it shouldn't be hard to implement. If you explain exactly how you want it to work we could work through a solution.

Comment

That's kind of funny. I never even thought to give each character a unique move to begin with. Haha That would make things easier for further unique skill requirements. I always envisioned it where they would get unique moves a few levels in. But it might be better to make it apparent to the players that certain characters are better at their default role than others.

I know I was reading some other forum where they wanted to so the same exact thing as what you just mentioned. I think that would be perfect. Make it so you have to retrieve your weapon after throwing it. When I get back home tomorrow night I will have to look for that post if I have time. It would be cool if you could still attack, but it would be with your bare hands so it wouldn't do much for damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X