Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Veil of Corruption

Originally posted by Valkysas View Post
    Are you going to release the magcon/contest demo publicly? It's a good demo. You should. I had fun with it.
    I plan on releasing the speedy contest demo after the results are up. It's seperate from the actual game and different from the MagCon demo. It shows scenes that are only talked about in the final game so it stands on it's own.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing the results of the contest.

Update:

I've got some more work done today. A lot of text stuff. Finished up a small cutscene, and a couple other bigger conversations. Used up about 4000 scenario space. I also made the inside of Galhum and connected everything. Text/dialogue work is the bane of my existance though. Progress is starting to move along at a good pace again so I'm happy.

My second scenario card hit 5 blocks.

Comment

Update:

The last few days have been extremely productive. I made Mt. Fernos, which is probably my biggest map yet. It was challenging using the volcano esque graphics. I don't really like the top part of the graphic, but I managed to make it work and I'm really happy with the results. Right now most of it is still just the basic layout. I need to go in and work all of the small details.

As far as the scenario side goes, I made 4 cutscenes. Two are pretty minor, but one is a boss encounter that took a few hours to make it work right. I still need to add a good amount of text to the end of the scene. The other ones help flesh out the characters and mythology of the world. I'm trying to ease the player into some of the themes that the plot will be focusing on. I admit that is one of my problems. I throw too much info or new terms/places at the player at once. I also did a very basc puzzle.

So yeah, things are going good. I can't believe how much progress I've made the last week. Hopefully I can ride this wave of modivation for a while before I burn out again.

Comment

Update:

I've gotten a LOT more work done. I finished all of the dialogue for the NPC's in Galhum. I also went and added a crap ton of little details. I ran into a bit of a roadblock with the Party menu. After the memory card swap some of the warpings need to be switched around. I got frusterated and stopped! Mainly because I might need to cut some stuff. I switch the cards as soon as you walk into the Delco Mine. Right now I have it so you can go all the way back to Hawkston. All of the chest can be opened again and a bunch of other crap, so I stopped working on that. I might cut the ability to go back depending on memory constrints. I'm pretty sure I'll have more then enough though.

I decided to make Zaltero. I went in with little direction and it ended up being the best map I have ever made with RPGM1. I'm extremely happy with it. I've placed a bunch of placeholder stuff like NPC's, chests, ect... It's looking good. Now I have several huge scenes that take place in the town to plan out. I'll be working on that the next few days. I'll keep ya posted.

I know these updates are kinda half assed and hardly go into detail, but I would rather be working on the game then typing updates.
        Last edited by Lausen; 04-03-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Update

I have made a great deal of progress since the last update. I made 2 MASSIVE cutscenes. Both took 5 plus hours to lay out. I had to make them different then I envisioned due to maker limitations, but I'm still super happy with the way they turned out. I also made a couple small scenes with nothing drastic happening, just character development.

I also did some work in the dungeon editor. I made the Fire Pillar shrine. It's not very big, but it still took some time. I started fresh like 6 times on it before I settled on the design.

I finished all of the crafting events in the last 2 towns. I also worked out the party menu issues I was having. Both things are running smoothly now.

I made 3 puzzles. Nothing too hard. It's a billion times harder to work them out in your head and build them properly then it is to solve in game.

All of the NPC text has been finished.

I added a crap ton of interactive events and most of the treasure events. Some are still placeholders.

More or a less scenario card 2 is done. I've reached the spot I planned on switching, but I'm looking at 25000 extra memory. I originally planned on making the shrines have no enemies, but with the extra space I'm going to fiddle around with some things. I might make it larger and add encounters. I'm for sure going to add a boss fight to it.

That's still gonna leave me with a bunch of extra memory. I might make the next area and move where I switch cards. The third card was gonna start with a cutscene, but I might be able to have the scenes at the end of card 2. I'm gonna have to do some testing.

The only other thing I need to work out on card 2 is the battle drops. Right now it's all place holder stuff. I'll guess I still need to change around some of the enemy combinations that you encounter.

I've also been putting off changing my progress bar in my sig. It's closer to 20%.

Comment

what all have you put in your first card? seams you have a ton more space then i seam to have. after a few towns and such im burnt out of space and dieing to make room from somewhere. must be nice to have mountains of space free.

Thank you Ωbright for the sig fix!
            Card Three is released! You can find it here!

Comment

Originally posted by Karr Lord of Chaos View Post
              what all have you put in your first card? seams you have a ton more space then i seam to have. after a few towns and such im burnt out of space and dieing to make room from somewhere. must be nice to have mountains of space free.
              Hmm, I have a couple towns and a few other major maps on the first card. I try not to worry about scenario space too much. The cards aren't that long so far though. It's more about detail for me. I don't want to limit myself due to memory concerns.

I know everything I want to have on each card before I start. So far I've tried to plan the card switches with the major events in mind. I don't want to force out the next area just to make card 2 a little longer. Especially if it means sacrificing the quality because I ran out of space.

Another thing that helped is that I replanned the entire story to try and condense it. I'm trying to eliminate the fetch style quests. I want to focus on the main events that shape the game and it's universe. It's extremely linear as far as the story pacing goes. Kinda like FF13. Normally I wouldn't want to do that, but I think that's the way to go with it. Especially with RPGM1. I opted not to use the default world maps to limit backtracking. I guess limiting backtracking has been the biggest memory safer. I try to make it so you're always moving forward. That's made it easy to reuse switchs too.

Comment

Update:

I finished making the Lydia Prison in the dungeon editor. It ended up taking way more memory then I was hoping, but I can't argue with the results. The outside area of it alone took almost 2000 system space.

I also went ahead and made the cutscenes I was planning for the start of the 3rd card. It's kind of a long sequence of scenes strung together, but it's the best placement for them.

I'm not sure if I'll have enough space to finish the dungeon though. I have 13000 memory left, but I plan on having several puzzles, which kills space fast. Plus, I'm thinking there will be a few smaller scenes throughout the prison.

I'm probably going to have to switch cards at the end of the cutscene sequences if I run out of space. It's kind of a headache to plan and the only way I'll know for sure is to just make it.

Unfortunetly I'm starting to burn out again. I've completed a full card in less then a month. That's a crazy amount for me. Hopefully I can find agood modivation boost somewhere.

Comment

Update:

Okay, Scenario Card 2 is done. I managed to do the last area with 1700 space to spare. I had to keep out a few small scenes I wanted to add, but anything I was going to cover in them can wait till the next area. The cards still not perfect, but I'm happy with it overall. I sent it to Navane for playtesting. I'm going to take a bit of a break while he's doing that. Once I get his opinions I'll be going over it again to do some micro managing.

I should be starting up Card 3 next week sometime.

Comment

Update:

I went ahead and started work on Scenario card 3. I made the Perago Marsh and a town in the dungeon editor. The marsh ended up being on the bigger side, but I like it. I added 2 cutscenes and some party interactions in the town. I also made a couple puzzles. They're pretty simple stuff so it wasn't too hard to make as far as technical stuff goes. One of the puzzles expands the entire marsh. It's pretty much flipping levers to control flood gates.

I also have planned out the next boss battle. It's going to be a pain in the ass to make. The battle will be like a memory mini game. It's going to be a 3x3 grid of plants. You try to select the one where the boss is hiding in. If you're wrong you will have to fight one of the basic enemies in the area. You have to select the boss three times before you end up killing it for good. I'm hopefull I'll be able to do it seemlessly.

On a side note I just posted my Speedy Contest entry for download. The review is here. Any feedback is welcome. Sadly it's only in PS3 format.

Comment

Nice...

Keep it up!

Comment

Thanks Obi!

Update:

Well, there hasn't been too much progress the last few weeks. Work has been hectic. Between that and hitting the gym for 2+ hours everyday I've had no free time. Even when I've had a bit of time I've been to lazy or sore to want to do anyhing.

But, that doesn't mean there hasn't been ANY progress. I fininshed the boss mini game grid thing. It worked out pretty good. I still need to make the scenes surrounding it. I also just finished making Loxley the port town. I'm happy with the design of it. I haven't done anything scenario wise in it.

Navane finished his testplay of card 2 and had some excellent feedback and recomondations. RIght now I'm going back and reworking dialogue. He's also been really helpful in this department. With his help I'm redefining Norah's character. So yeah, I have to rework a lot of the scenes after she joins the party. Mostly just text stuff, but it's still a decent workload. I finished redoing the cutscene where she joins the party. Overall it is much better. It makes her a lot more compelling in my opinion. I just need to carry that over to all the other scenes.

I won't be working too much on new content until I'm done going back through everything. Hopefully work eases up a bit so I can get a little more free time.

Still to lazy to change my progress bar. It's probably around 25%. Probably more, but I'm not good at estimating. If any one wants to change it for me feel free.

Comment

Update:

Well, it's been a while. Not much to report until now though. The last few days I've done a decent amount of text changing. All of card one is complete and a few big scenes on the second. That might not sound like much, but there was a good deal of changes I had to make to the cutscenes to reflect the dialogue tweeks. That of course means the tedious task of searching through pages of crap before finding what you're looking for. I'm really happy with the changes so it's worth the headache. I'm praying I can finish the rest of my text changes within a week or so. Then I can finally focus on creating new content.

Comment

Update:

All text changes are now complete. I can focus on moving forward with the game and actually create some new content. That is all.

I know, this update is overwhelmingly huge.

Comment

Played the demo, the game so far is amazing. Keep up the good work!

"Whoa! Zombies suck dick at driving." - Juliet Starling, Lollipop Chainsaw

Comment

Update:

Sadly there hasn't been anything new added to the game in over a month, but I did manage to balance all of the battles that I have so far. That's wasn't exactly a small task either. I have over 2 full scenario cards filled up so far.

Summer months really, really kill my modivation. It's happened the last few summers in a row now. With any luck I'll get it back once the snow flies. IF Skyrim and Uncharted don't steal all of my spare time.

Apart from that hindering my progress, I've also thought up another game I would like to eventually work on. I've got some basic ideas fleshed out and I really like them so far. We'll just have to see what happens. I may start a thread about that game if I do start work on it.
                                Last edited by Lausen; 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X