Veil of Corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Veil of Corruption

Alright, man! I'm very happy and excited for you!

I'm looking forward to eventually seeing that beginning. It sounds like it'll be epic.

Nice job with the progress making, keep it up.
    Twothorp was in immense pain. The blisters did not care.

Comment

Good to see that progress is coming along nicely with the game. I'm sure it's a great feeling to get things just how you want them, Lausen. Nice!
      " I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. " - Jesus

Comment

Go Lausen!!

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys, but for now Veil of Corruption has to be put on hold. My PS3 has died on me a few weeks ago. Without warranty it my be a while before I can get a new one and continue work. Luckily I have the save backed up on a flash drive.

Comment

Yay for Flash Drives!

Just out of curiosity, did you sell your PS2 to get your PS3?

I look forward to seeing an update when you get things back up and running again.
            " I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. " - Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by Pagerron View Post
              Yay for Flash Drives!

Just out of curiosity, did you sell your PS2 to get your PS3?

I look forward to seeing an update when you get things back up and running again.
              I still have my PS2. I've been playing Siren's Reef. Why do you ask?

Comment

Oh, I was just thinking that you couuld work on Veil of Corruption on your
                PS2. I guess that if it's all virtual memory on the PS3, then that won't work, will it? Oops. Sorry.

Comment

I haven't touched this in a while. I've been working on a speedy contest game. It's a demo of VoC based off of evants that are only explained in game. It's nearly done. I'm currently working on the balancing and then any last minute touches. I'm extremely happy with it. It's by far the best work I've done on any platform. I'll hopefully have it submited soon.

As for Veil of Corruption itself, I haven't touched it. As with any hiatus I take when I come back there's so much revising I want to make. When I do get to working on it I'll be making some major overhalls to the plot. Almost 20 hours of work will have been wasted, but it will be for the best. For now My focus is on my speedy game.

Comment

Yay, Game! I like the idea of doing a demo-type game for the Speedy RPG contest. Especially as what's basically a supplementary game. I like that a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lausen View Post
                      It's by far the best work I've done on any platform.
                      Well you got my attention with that. @_@ That's saying a lot.

Comment

Thanks, Obi.

With my speedy contest game done and submited I've been trying to get work done on VOC. Sadly I came to the conclusion that I don't have the dedication I did in high school to make games on such a big scale. I have the urge to make a game, but I think the sheer amount of diolgue is killing it for me. With all the crap going on in my life right now I just don't have the time or drive anymore. I'm not going to scrap the project yet, but really it's future doesn't look too bright. I love the story and characters behind VoC so there is always a chance I'll pick it back up.

Like I said, I still have the urge to make something. While making my contest game I found I really liked working on a smaller game. I know a lot of people are focusing on smaller games too. Right now I think that's the best option for me so I don't burn out or feel overwhelmed.

The last day or so I've been thinking of a project to work on. I want to make something that focuses on gameplay and have story take the back seat. A complete change compared to all the other games I've made/worked on. I'm thinking of a Demon's Soul esque game.

The game would have a few different levels that the player can tackle in any order. Probably a fire based level, snow based level, and a swamp based level. I've yet to really work with the snow dungeon pieces in RPGM1 and would like to see what I'd come up with. I've been waiting for a reason to use a swamp idea I have. Anyway, once you beat all 3 the final area would open.

Being able to go to any level at any time would make things hard. I'd probably use a custom leveling system. It'd make sense for balance reasons. Once a character invests so much in one stat have the enemies in all 3 areas get a bit tougher. I have a rough idea on how to do it and I'm confident It would work.

Again, I've only just started to think about working on a new game. Who knows what I'll end up doing. That's just kind of where the future of Project Revolution is at. Up in the air.

Comment

Well, I was talking with a buddy about this and he wasn't too happy to hear I was putting VoC in the back burner. He playtested my speedy contest game, which is a "demo" based off of VoC and liked it. He knows nothing about the software, but said he would help with the typing if I kept working on this. I figured what the hell. Maybe if I can force myself to get past that initual slump I'll get into the groove again.

I loaded it up and got some work done today. Actually I ened up scraping everything except the intro cutscene. That really wasn't that much work anyways. Only 40 or so hours. The begining just wasn't doing it for me. Second time I've done this... My biggest asset/downfall is that I feel like I can always make something better. I'm confident it will be though. I made a new dungeon area and cutscene that does a good job of introducing the main character. I did all the technical stuff and my buddy typed, thankfully! Don't know how long his help will last, but I'm happy with the progress we made in a day.

I posted this at the mag yesterday. Now for the progress I made today.

I made a few new dungeon areas. 3 of them are small, but 1 is a bit bigger. It's the first playable part of the game where you encounter enemies. I also made a few new cutscenes. Overall I put maybe 6 hours into it. I'm feeling good with the progress and am happy with the results. I like it better then what I had previously.

I've also been thinking about a feature I might implement. At the begining of the game you get the Relic Sword. At first I planned on making it fairly usless until the end. Now I might give the player different options and if they select the "good" option the sword will be replaced with a more powerful version. Kind of like a moral system that determines the strength of the blade. Potentially making it the best weapon if done correctly. Any thoughts on this?

Pray that this will be the rebirth of the project.

Comment

Hey, congrats on making the demo for the Contest, the project sounds cool. I'd definitely play the demo if I had the means to play RM1 stuff.

Go for it! Keep trying to make the game, and as long as you're enjoying it, don't stop. I've found that letting a project languish without consistently jumping in an trying to jumpstart things, is just as much of a dealbreaker as is declaring that it's not going to happen and shelving it forever.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Comment

Thanks for the comments, Wave. I can't wait to read all the reviews for the contest. It generally gives me a boost in modivation.

Update:

Today was another productive day overall. Somehow I managed to put another 5 hours of work into VoC. Even after spending almost 4 hours at the gym. Most of the time was spent completing a decent size cutscene. I also set up the first few enemy encounters. More or a less the first area of the game is done. Tomorrow I plan on sprucing everything I have up. Then I'll go from there.
                              Last edited by Lausen; 11-25-2010, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Update

Well, since my last update I have made a stupid amount of progress. I made several new dungeons, a couple large cutscenes, including a main boss encounter, and a few puzzles. Overall I'm super happy with the results.

The first dungeon being Tarnwood, the first real town in the game. I've yet to add text to the NPC's, but anything concerning the plot is made. All of the houses/shops are made, plus the arena and a large manor with a boss fight.

The second major one is Balheim Pass. I'm extremely happy with this area in particular. It has a series of puzzles you need to complete to reach the next town. The dungeon is up and functioning, but I still need to make a few cutscenes and the boss encounter.

I'm slightly concerned at the rate my system and scenario data is being used. Right now I'm sitting at 7 blocks scenario. I've planned a spot for a scenario switch that I know I'll have plenty of space for. It's not that big of a deal. I'm not going to sacrifice quality because I'm worried about too many scenario cards.

I'm at 3 system blocks. More then likely I'll have to use more then one card for this too. I'm not too happy about that because I've yet to fiddle with that so I don't know exacty how to do it. Again, I'm no going to sacrifice quality to conserve data. At the same time I have no intentions of making things overly big for the sake of adding playtime.

I've also started planning a new feature for battles using the defualt "Skills" system. Instead of classes like, knight, mage, ect... You have Gambits. (I know people will think ff12. The name is subject to change. Any ideas???) You have two kinds of gambits. Stat and special. You can select one of any main stat to have priority when you level up. Equip an MP Gambit and you'll gain an extra 10 MP per level. Or you can equip special gambits that add perks in battle. Such as increased chances for drop items or 1/2 MP costs. You can change them at anytime once you own them. This will give the player a lot of control of how the characters advance and their roles in battle

I tried a test menu for it using the basic 3 way choice options. You have to navigate several menus more then I'd like. There's a good chance I'll make a custom menu for it. I'll be able to add the party swap option into it. Hopefully streamlining everything. I've yet to work on it so I don't know how much space it'll take.

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgeting. Regardless, progress has been great.

Comment

Working...
                                X