No announcement yet.

~Mirage of Destiny~ (Now with screens)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~Mirage of Destiny~ (Now with screens)

Mirage of Destiny

Well if you’ve read my Future of Chaos Creations thread you know I was going to start up a map pack. I started and got 2 done, but I ended up getting a game idea while I was working on them. I said I didn’t want to start up anything too serious now that I have a job, but this idea has been running in and out of my mind for about a week now. I think what I have thought out would make a decent plot, and I also have a few ideas for features. I have the basics laid out in my head so I think I’m going to give it a shot. I think I’m going to try to release a demo and see what other people think. I don’t want to invest 500 hours on poop. This will be for RPGM3

Oh, and this thread is kind of a way to gather all my ideas in one place.

The game carries a basic theme. There are two things held higher then anything else. “Loyalty to the Crown” and “Faith in the Church.”

History
    The world the game takes place on is called Hyboria. It is a very fantasy based world, where magic is commonplace. Magic is used as often in battle as sword and shield. For over 500 years the world has been consumed by the hellfire’s of war. At the center of the war are the Sypherion Empire and the Masseric Kingdom. The Masseric Kingdom being the aggressors. Over time the war became a grudge match between the leaders of the superpowers. No longer was there any reason or purpose to the bloodshed. The people started to lose faith. After the king of Masseric was slain in battle talk of peace flooded the streets of both cities. Shortly after Masseric found a new leader the kingdoms came to a peace agreement. However the peace wouldn’t be felt until the crowning of a new Sypherion king. It takes two for a grudge, and the new Masseric leader felt there could never be real peace with Lord Draux in power. The agreement never stated the crown had to leave the Hallabane family. With the date of the ceremony set, people from the entire world gather in Sypheria to see the crowning of Noah Hallabane, and the start of a new era.

Basic Plot

The game starts during the crowning ceremony of Noah Hallabane. Which also mean the start of the treaty between Sypheria and the Masseric Kingdom. Midway through the ceremony Noah and the rest of the royal family are assassinated. Not by a single person but a rather large group. The battle between the Assassins and the knights of Sypheria spill into the street. These assassins strike down man, women, and child alike. Bryce, the main character is randomly targeted and attacked, leaving him no option but to fight. With all of the Royal family dead there is no rightful heir to the throne.

Coincidently Alriek, the leader of the Knights of the Brotherhood, and the Hallabane’s personal bodyguard is MIA during the battle. This makes the church believe the Knights of the Brotherhood are behind the attack. Of course the KotB are more concentrated on the Masseric Kingdom. St. Griffon’s aggressive approach of trying to be given control of the throne until someone can be elected makes Alriek question him. Thus the two begin to lose trust in each other and friction grows between the two most important/powerful factions in Sypherion society, the church and the Knights of the Brotherhood. The people must live in fear of a possible invasion and the very real risk of a civil war.

The morning after the attack Bryce wakes up in the in with no knowledge of how he got there. He finds a note attached to his sword asking him to have an audience with Sir Alriek. Alriek asks him to find a girl at the Aruna Monastery that may know about what the church is doing behind closed doors. Alriek needs someone not associated with the KotB to do it. He asks Bryce to bring him the girl with any means necessary.

What are the true motives of the Church? Can you trust Alriek and the knights? Who are these assassins, and why hasn’t the Masseric Kingdom claimed responsibilities for the attack? Is Bryce merely a puppet being manipulated? Most importantly who is this girl Alriek puts so much faith in? Allured into the middle of this by a simple promise of gold. How long until the stakes become much greater?

Characters
    Bryce Galion: A charismatic 24 year old who comes from a rich family. At times it’s as though he has split personalities. Normally he’s a laid back guy who likes to joke around, but when he has to get serious it’s a complete flip. This is a result of his training. When he was 15 he became a candidate for Masseric’s elite knights. He started the 6-year training evaluation. Mid way through the 5th year his home was attacked. He abandoned his training to return home. Now he leads the life of a mercenary.

Noah Hallabane: The son of Lord Draux and Lady Scarlett Hallabane. The soon to be king, though somewhat weak in stature has earned a reputation of being a fierce warrior due to his magic. He has never taken his name or upbringing for granted. He has served in the Knights of the Brotherhood, and studies among the saints of the church.

Lord Alreik: of the White Fanged Dragon. He is considered a legendary Knight and gets his title from his sword, which is made from a dragon fang. He is the leader of the Knights of the Brotherhood, and personal guard of the Hallabane family.

St. Griffon: High Priest of the Aruna Monastery. He will be staying at the church in Sypheria during the ceremony to offer prayers.

Norah: A young priest staying at the Aruna Monastery.

Braxen Nova: A fierce young knight who shows loyalty to no crown. His skill is far beyond his years and isn’t afraid to flaunt his power to get what he wants.

Baron Cross: The president of the Axello Company. The company’s focus is the excavation of natural resources.

That’s kind of the basics outside of the actual plot. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to reveal the opening since it's kind of spoilery.

Features
    I want to make a small class system with the main character. 4 classes 4 skills each.

Mercenary
    Blade Toss
    Enrage
    Barrier
    Reign of Chaos

Swordsmen
    Thrust
    Cross Slash
    Sword of Might
    Maxim Rave

Magic Knight
    Thunder Blade
    Inferno Blade
    Earth Strike
    Aero Scythe

Holy Mercenary
    Aura Slice
    Path of Justice
    Divine Blade
    Twilight Wrath

Mercenary being the default class. You will always be able to use the Mercenary skill set, but the others you have to switch to that class. Each class will have different stat boosts, and each skill will cost a different amount of SP “skill points.” I’m thinking about being able to use SP to buy Stats as well. I’ll probable pull an Obright and use INT to track it.

Also every skill takes MP and your basic attack restores it. Just to spruce things up a bit.

That’s the basic idea. There are a few other features I’ve thought about, but still need to plan.

Special thanks to Obright for taking the screens!
    Last edited by Lausen; 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM.

Re: ~Mirage of Destiny~

Sounds great. Good luck
    stodi no na ka cenba

Comment

Sounds really cool. But I am disturbed by the lack of female characters. ^_^ We need some representation, yo! (j/k)

Comment

Wow, that sounds really cool! Hey, if you need someone to talk about the story with, need suggestions, or ideas, PM me. I'll be glad to help.
        Twothorp was in immense pain. The blisters did not care.

Comment

Originally posted by Libby View Post
          Sounds really cool. But I am disturbed by the lack of female characters. ^_^ We need some representation, yo! (j/k)
          Hey, I have one listed. The funny thing is the game kind of revolves around a girl, but it's almost impossible to describe her in any way without leading to a spoiler.

Thanks for the comments guys. It means a lot.

Comment

Update

Finally, I know. It's the first real update since I posted this. I'm not going to lie, it's because I haven't really worked on it too much.

Over the past two days I've put in somewhere around 10 hours of work. The sad thing is, all of it has been on the same events. I've been working on making the Class Change/Class Buy/Skill Buy/Stat Buy menus. Right now I have the Class Change and buy events completely done. I also have it so you can buy the Mercenary skills. What I have done works, but it's been a brain buster. 5 events, over 40 combined modes, and like 20 different variables, but it works.

The reason it's so much coding is because you have to do every combination of classes. For example:

When you choose buy a class, a menu like this will pop up.

Swordsmen
            Magic Knight
            Holy Mercenary

Say you buy the swordsmen class. The next time you choose buy a class it will look like this.

Magic Knight
            Holy Mercenary

Each time you buy a class a variable changes, and that's how it determines what combination of classes to bring up. The same thing works with the Change class option. A class will only show up if you have it. When you choose to buy skills, it's the same thing.

Another space eater is when you change classes it needs to know what skills you have already purchased. My goal for the weekend is to finish events for buying skills for the 3 other classes. The big problem is the 3 classes all have 4 skills you can buy, where the Mercenary class only has 3 because you start off with a skill. Because Mercenary only had 3 skills there was only 7 possible combinations. Having 4 skills increases it to almost 16 combinations. If I'm lucky it should fit into the 20-mode limit. The worst part is, when I do figure it out, I'll have to do it all over again two more times.

Yeah, I know I'm ranting. You don't care about technical crap as long as it all works.

Comment

Update

Well it took a lot longer then I expected, but I finally finished the class system. It all works perfectly, but it takes like 5+ total percent. I figured I would have this done by last weekend, but my dads neck surgery changed plans. I've been taking care of him all week. Now that I have a little more time on my hands I can work on the next part of the game.

I have an idea of what I want to do. It's kind of like a kidnapping scenario story wise so I want to make some kind of stealth thing. I know it won't be easy to do this with RPGM3, but that's part of the fun. I'm going to be working on it for the next few days. I'll be sure to update on how it works.

Also, I'm might do what Libby's doing with the beta readers. It sounds like a really good idea. Especially since what I have in this thread doesn't even scratch the surface of the story. But everything could potentially be a spoiler.

Comment

DAMN. When I was reading this, I was trying to figure out just how a class system could take up that much space.

Yup...that'll do it! It sounds like it will be worth it, though. The idea is very cool.

I'm glad you're still working on this!

Comment

Hey, I'm always open if you ever want to PM, Lausen.
                  Twothorp was in immense pain. The blisters did not care.

Comment

Update

Now that Holy-Chaos is basically finished I'll be playing around with this game more. I finally finished up the "sneaking" mission I was working on. I also did some planning ahead. I updated the first post with screens thanks to Obright.

Comment

Re: ~Mirage of Destiny~ (Now with screens)

I take screenshots for people all the damn time, and NONE of them ever use them except you. This thread looks great, and I'm glad I could help. I'll hopefully be done with the remaining ones later tonight.

THEN I can finally play the full version of Holy Chaos. BOOM CHAAKKA

Comment

Re: ~Mirage of Destiny~ (Now with screens)

Well, I wouldn't ask if I wasn't going to use them. I'm glad you like the look of the thread. And thanks for the screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Lausen View Post
                          Yeah, I know I'm ranting. You don't care about technical crap as long as it all works.
                          Au contraire. The technical stuff is very interesting and very necessary, and I personally believe that both from a player's viewpoint and from a DU viewpoint, it's important to make things as trim and elegant as possible. Clumsy player interfaces all but ruin custom systems.

The game looks pretty neat. I wish there was more information about the plot (as opposed to the backstory) and characters, but the world map, of course, looks great And it sounds like you've got some very intriguing stuff in the works here.

How Badly Do You Want It? (VX Ace) is now available for download! - no outside software necessary.

"I live and love in God's peculiar light." - Michelangelo

Comment

Thanks Wave. Yeah, I've been considering adding more about the actually plot. It's just the game starts out with a complete twist. I'm sure I'll be adding more. I'll be adding more screens as soon as Obi's done. The best map of the game is yet to come.

Comment

Updated first post with more screens and a basic plot.

Comment

Working...
                              X