Holy-Chaos: Prophecies Unleashed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy-Chaos: Prophecies Unleashed!

This is a sequel to my first game Holy-Chaos, but because this one will be done first I’ll make that a prequel.

Unlike most of the new RPG3 projects that focus on fancy variable tricks and mini games Prophecies puts the focus back on what RPG’s are all about, the story. Not that the other stuff is bad or anything, but it seems like the new thing is to twist the systems capabilities. While instead HC-P is all about redefining the basics.

The game has a fairly linear plot, but is filled with deep side quests. Some so deep they could almost have their own game. Each one goes beyond the basic get an item and give it to a guy. They all heavily reflect the plot of the game. Because the story is so deep it expands two slots.
    Every map except one is detailed down to the last touch. (The one was a preset map I edited so it doesn’t count.) Everything is as realistic as possible. They also reflect the fact that they had gone through disasters.

Every story needs well developed characters and HC-P has them. I have thought out why each character would act they way they do. Whether it’s something that happened in the past or if they are under someone else’s orders. Even the NPC’s have their own personalities and reason for saying what they do.

Even though the game is linear it prompts exploration. You never know what lay’s around the corner. It could be a new weapon or a powerful new skill, maybe even a hidden boss. Because the game is split onto two slots it gives me plenty of extra memory for detailing.

You play as Lausen Basberg a young cadet in Nahara’s military. You start out defending your land from the so called outsiders, but it suddenly erupts into a three way struggle to determine the future of the planet. You will encounter many playable character as you play through. There are many, many unexpected twists that happen. Only the youth of the land can discover the truth behind the Neo Cryolite.
    Last edited by Lausen; 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM.

Re: Holy-Chaos 2: Prophecies Unleashed!

I've never seen something so uninteresting described so arrogantly in my life. And you ruined what little you had going for you when you named whatever it is Neo Materia.
    "Mindless killing doesn't do a lot for me anymore." - Sampson

Comment

Sounds great. Story-driven RPG's with deep character development are always welcome if you can pull them off, and the fact that you're trying to 'get into the heads' of your characters shows that you're on the right track. A variety of characters done this way tends to lead the story in many different ways, because you're seeing it through a lot of different perspectives...it's not just a clinical 'this happened and then this and then this' approach, because you'll be more likely to explore how those events make character A FEEL, as opposed to character B. These differing emotional responses really help build the characters, and make the story more interesting...and players are much more likely to become involved in the story (and stay there) as a result.

In spite of the fact that your game will not be BASED on variable tricks or technical flourishes, try not to do away with them completely...they can really help to make the game interesting overall. Series 1 is a good example of this...it's a game based heavily on story and character-building, but there are still many innovative uses of variables like minigames in it to keep it interesting. If you need help with them just ask. They can be tricky to wrap your head around at times, and be a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end. I don't just mean in a superficial way, but in a basic game mechanics kind of way.

Also...on a personal level...I'm a big fan of well-done maps. If you've spent a long time on your maps to make them beautiful and naturalistic, then kudos to you. The maps are the setting of your game, and the better they are, the better your game will be as a result.

One more thing...I feel like a hypocrite saying this because the sentimental side of me likes using things from games that I've enjoyed...but you might want to avoid using the concept of 'materia' in your game...it's just too much of a central concept of FF7...I'm just sayin'. Maybe you could call it 'neo-matrix', 'neo-matter', or 'neo-...ANYTHING else? :P I'm not saying that your using that term would make me not give your game a try or anything, but you might catch hell for it.

Anyway, good luck with your game...I look forward to trying it out!

Comment

He DID catch hell for it.
        "Mindless killing doesn't do a lot for me anymore." - Sampson

Comment

Another military RPG?

ARRRRGH!!!!
          Screenshot Let's Plays

Comment

Originally posted by Lausen View Post
            Everything is as realistic as possible.
            Keep your realism OUT of MY Fantasy!!

MOO!

Comment

I knew there was hell to pay when I used "Materia" and that's ok because I never intended on that being the final name. It's just a place holder for now. It's just really hard to come up with a good name for it.

When I said realistic I only ment the maps for the most part. Unless stones that can blow up towns and lift ships is realistic? (And yes both of them happen in the game.)

Aren't all RPG's military in some way? I can't think of any that don't have any military involvement. It could be really small, but their there... I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lausen View Post
                When I said realistic I only ment the maps for the most part. Unless stones that can blow up towns and lift ships is realistic? (And yes both of them happen in the game.)
                You're new and probably didn't realize I was joking!

It's an argument I make all the time.

Personally, I don't care what kind of game people want to make or whether they call things by names some folks don't like - if they enjoy it and are having fun, that's all that counts!

I do prefer silly and far fetched stuff to a believable story, but that's just me.

My nose is too big
                Last edited by Rodak; 09-30-2007, 03:39 PM.

MOO!

Comment

The history of the world. The world was a very peaceful place ruled by technology and knoledge. Many knigdoms lived in harmany among each other. Then one nation started to use the technologies to create weapons.

The guardians of the world or keepers of peace. Charged with the duty of keeping the balance of power stepped in. They are known as the Mirage Clan. A war broke out, but seeminly out of nowhere a series of nateral disasters fell apon the planet. The storms destroyed everything in their path. All technology was lost. Those who survived were forced to scavage just to live.

Remarkably one Town stood strong. The town of Nahara was untouched. The town became overrun with refuges. The leaders were forced to seal their town from the victoms, because they only depletet their precious supplies. So they built a great wall around their boarders.

Over time the leaders realized they could control the whole world with their superior technology. It has been over 400 years since the disasters hit, but nothing has seemed to change. Every time the outsiders gain technology Nahara's military is their to knock them back down.

Because of this the outsiders have become very bitter. They feel the disasters was punishment from the gods for letting things get out of hand. Religon rules the outside world.

Their are three main groups in the story. One is Nahara who wish to create a monopoly and have been seccessful for many years. The other is a group of Knights called the Free Knights. They wish to break the barrier between Nahara and the outsiders. They want the world to return to it's former glory. Last is the Blood Ark knights. They hate Nahara and want to crush them. They wish to create an empire ruled by the sword.

Oh and if you have any suggestions on what to name the stones instead of "Materia" that would be awsome.
                  Last edited by Lausen; 10-02-2007, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Baubles?

Comment

Call them Noses.

Or Cows.

You could just call them stones too, ya know.

Or Pebbles of Power.

Rocks of Ages?

And I like Naharica for a name instead of Nahara, given their behavior. It seems appropriate!
                      Last edited by Rodak; 10-01-2007, 03:52 AM.

MOO!

Comment

Neomat. There you go. Sounds better, and took 10 seconds to come up with it.
                        PSN: KingJamos

Add me... I'll wait.

Comment

The problem is that in the game their is Neo Materia and also just Materia. Calling something that is suposed to be strong mat. Any way what do you think of Cryolite and Neo Cryolite?

I was thinking because they are powers sealed in the stones it's kind of like Cryogenics. I want a logical name for them and I think this will work. Tell me if you think it's ok or not.

Comment

I think Cryolite sounds pretty cool myself.
                            " I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. " - Jesus

Comment

It sounds really cool. Although, instead of Neo, what if you had another prefix, or added a prefix to the "normal" Cryolite (Neo and Aeo Cryolite)? It depends on what the relationship is between them.

Comment

Working...
                              X