My Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Project

Hey there gang. I was trying to find a collaborator for a game idea a couple months back when someone mentioned about Choice of Games, an interactive fiction publisher whose Hosted Games label lets anyone put something out there on iOS, Android and sometimes Steam and get a 25% cut of the take. As luck would have it, when I went there I found there was also a contest going on. Finish a 100,000 word game by January 31st and aside from the usual 25% you could compete for a $5,000 first prize for a $3k and $2k second and third place prize based on how the judges scored the books. I decided then and there that I was done with my years of excuses, of waiting around like Godot for someone to do part of the work in a project. So I am writing and coding this thing all by my lonesome, and it is going well. Only coded 10,000 words or so, but I have written 55,000 as of today. Which I feel good about since I only found out about the contest in mid-June. I have some ideas for future books with this company too if it works out, but one thing at a time.

So without further ado, a rough partial demo of Nuclear Powered Toaster!

http://https://dashingdon.com/play/hustlertwo/nuclear-powered-toaster/mygame/index.php?cb=78354
    Last edited by Hrafn; 08-18-2017, 11:43 PM.
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Re: My Project

If anyone is interested in helping a Pavvie out, the deadline for this contest comes at the end of the month and I am currently looking for beta testers to check things like average stats in a playthrough and the like. Story feedback and spelling/grammar error reports are also helpful. If interested, just click the link and run through what is there so far. If you can post a pic or write down what your stats are at each new chapter, that would be a big help. I am also playtesting but mostly writing the ending so I lack a lot of time to devote to it.

Comment

I read the first page and it was great as an intro. Salians is a pretty great term. Though I never imagined that your decisions will affect the ending, or is it?

P.S.
      I can help, though I don't know how to right like an author would but I may come up with pretty amazing ideas. If you want though.
      Last edited by Brightness; 01-03-2018, 07:06 PM.
      "There's something buried in the words."

-Give me a sign

Comment

Done and submitted as of this morning! Over 139,000 words in less than eight months. Feeling good about finishing. I will take a couple weeks off then start work on something new.

Comment

Whoops! I totally missed this. I usually don't check the creative forum. Good job on finishing it up.

Next time you need a playtester let me know.

Comment

Sure thing! Feel free to play it anyhow if you want. I may still make changes before it actually goes to the App Store; this was just submitting it for the big contest. Twenty entries so far, so it will be interesting to see who takes the money.

Comment

Well, in the last couple years since the site crapped out, this has been released, as was my followup, The Parenting Simulator. Both are on Google Play, iOS (on the Hosted Games omnibus app), Amazon, and the company website. Nuclear Powered Toaster is also on Steam, and Parenting will be come May 7th.

Linkification for NPT: https://www.choiceofgames.com/user-c...ource=ourgames

And for The Parenting Simulator: https://www.choiceofgames.com/user-c...ce=usercontrib
              Last edited by Hrafn; 03-12-2020, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Purchase'd NPT on Steam today. I'll give my thought on it once I finish it. I might not be able to get to it right away since life is hella busy right now for me.
                Last edited by 1ce; 03-13-2020, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks! It’s not been a huge seller; I foolishly overspent on the cover artist and over fifteen months of royalty statements later he has still made more from it than I have. Lots of reasons: sci-fi is niche, it had fixed protagonists which is a thing the Choice readers really hate, it was my first longform story, possibly a few too many pee jokes, the list goes on and on. I still love it though, and wish I had gotten to write the sequels.

Fortunately, Parenting made up for that. It’s quite original since most interactive fiction is superheroes, werewolves or magicians, and if I may toot my own horn a bit it’s pretty darn good. And it made more in its first full month of release than Toaster did in a year. By a factor of five. And all that without a Steam release at launch like Toaster had. Fortunately it did well enough that they were good with doing a Steam launch just in time for Mother’s Day on May 7th.

Comment

As of the end of June, The Parenting Simulator manages to sell just over 10,000 copies in only nine months (and a day) of release. Very cool.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that your hard work paid you a return on that game.
                      Last edited by The Toecutter; 08-22-2020, 01:56 PM.
                      The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks, Toe! Yeah, Toaster was the one that made me a published author, but Parenting is the one that made me a successful published author, which is a whole lot less bittersweet.

Comment

Working...
                        X