My Self-Indulgent Fanfic Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Self-Indulgent Fanfic Life

Actively writing (posts every other week) a Captain Marvel/Spider-Woman (otherwise known as CarolJess or Carol Danvers/Jessica Drew) fic. Strong focus on MCU canon compliance while also putting mutants, Spider-Woman, and the Fantastic Four into the world already.

Have a now-defunct, but technically finished, Overwatch fic, starring Mei and focusing pretty heavily on Mei's friendship with Pharah. Mei runs a series of missions for an Overwatch that does not have sanction to reform, attempting to track global climate changes. Attempts to be as canon-compliant as possible, but fills in blanks as necessary.

Also have a Welcome to Night Vale one-shot fic I wrote, about Fey, the Numbers Station AI who occasionally gains sentience and rebels against her programming. The only prerequisite is having listened to episode 42 of the WtNV podcast, Numbers, in which Fey is introduced. There's a later episode where her creator is around, but that's not strictly necessary.

You can find all of these at the link. For Captain Marvel or Overwatch, start with Part 1 of the associated series.

Edit: They are all safe to read. No content warnings are really necessary. Think PG-13 in terms of language, violence, sexual content.

I don't have a lot to say about these, but they have helped break me out of the ridiculously bad writing slump I had been in prior to starting. I've found a good little community who digs my CarolJess stuff, and generally it provides me good feels while writing characters I love.

If anyone gives any of these stories a go, thanks! Hope you like it.
    An Archive of Our Own, a project of the Organization for Transformative Works
    Last edited by Big Rick Cook; 03-20-2020, 03:28 PM.
    "Mindless killing doesn't do a lot for me anymore." - Sampson

That's cool! I always tend to encourage people to express their a fan of something. Fanfiction is a great way to show how much of a fan you are for something. I know that my younger brother was writing a Danganronpa fanfiction, but then he stopped. I really don't know why, but I felt like he did a good job. He also has been encouraging me to write some Sengoku BASARA fanfiction since I'm a huge fan of that series. Maybe I should at least try sometime soon.

If writing Marvel fanfiction is your passion, I highly encourage you to keep writing. You never know, one day you might have a career as an author.
    Last edited by AzureFox50; 03-20-2020, 07:21 PM.
    This is a random post signature that serves no other purpose than to get you to read something. =P

Comment

Question: What fanfiction website do you think is the best to use?

After I posted my reply yesterday, I really started to consider at trying to write some fanfiction. The main websites I've been looking at are Archive of Our Own, FanFiction.Net, and Wattpad. I noticed that Archive of Our Own gives you a lot of freedom with writing, which is good. I also noticed that there's 4 different ratings for the writer to rate their story with: General Audiences (All Ages), Teen And Up Audiences (13+), Mature (I'm assuming it's 16+), and Explicit (18+). With FanFiction.Net, I noticed they have a few strict policies like the MA (Mature Adults/18+) rating on their website being banned (luckily, I wanted to write 13+ fanfiction), having certain copyright restrictions, and being banned for writing fanfiction that certain authors/publishers don't agree with. There seems to be 5 different ratings: K (Kids/5+), K+ (Kids+/9+), T (Teens/13+), M (Mature/16+), and MA (Mature Adults/18+) (banned). Finally, Wattpad doesn't seem to have any ratings which is kind of worrying because I definitely don't want to run into any highly inappropriate stories. Though, I did notice that some stories written on Wattpad have become actual books and/or received a movie or tv show adaptation. That's pretty cool!

Also, I read the first chapter of Prelude to Takeoff. I certainly enjoyed it! Really liked the way it ended. Whenever I saw the words Mr.Stark, I couldn't help but think of the one scene in Avengers: Infinity War where <spoiler>Peter Parker/Spider-Man turns into dust after Thanos does his Infinity Gauntlet snap that disintegrates half of life on Earth. Poor Spider-Man. Right before he was disintegrated, he said to Tony Stark/Iron-Man, "Mr.Stark, I don't feel so good."</spoiler> Anyways, it was a good read.

Um... Why aren't the spoiler tags working? Help!
      Last edited by AzureFox50; 03-21-2020, 11:15 PM. Reason: Spoiler Tags aren't working.
      This is a random post signature that serves no other purpose than to get you to read something. =P

Comment

Archive of our Own (Ao3 henceforth) is the easy choice. It has insanely good search features and has functionally no content limitations. That's a double-edged sword, though, because it also means you could find some really gross **** floating around.

Dunno about the spoiler tags, but uh Infinity War is one of the most watched and spoiled things around. You're probably safe.

For your fandom specifically, you should dig through each site and see where the action is. If the fandom is dead/nonexistent on Ao3, FF.net or Wattpad might be the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rick Cook View Post
          Archive of our Own (Ao3 henceforth) is the easy choice. It has insanely good search features and has functionally no content limitations. That's a double-edged sword, though, because it also means you could find some really gross **** floating around.

Dunno about the spoiler tags, but uh Infinity War is one of the most watched and spoiled things around. You're probably safe.

For your fandom specifically, you should dig through each site and see where the action is. If the fandom is dead/nonexistent on Ao3, FF.net or Wattpad might be the way to go.
          Thanks for the advice. ^w^

After looking around a little, I don't think I want to use Wattpad. Not only is there no rating system (meaning I could possibly run into stuff I don't want to read/see), when I looked up Sengoku BASARA on there, most of the results were for Dragon Ball. It showed 18.1k results but only the first 30-40 were Sengoku BASARA while the rest were mainly Bleach, Dragon Ball, Naruto, and One Piece. Also, most of the BASARA fanfic on Wattpad were Yaoi/BL (a.k.a. Gay Romance/Boys' Love), and I know that around 90% of Yaoi/BL is usually 18+. There were a few interesting ones though, like a Sengoku BASARA X BeyBlade Crossover, Sengoku BASARA X Sonic the Hedgehog Crossover, and a fanfic about the BASARA characters attending school.

Now, I'm mainly thinking of using either Ao3 or FF.net. There's definitely a lot of BASARA fanfic on both, and there seems to be a pretty good variety of different types. With Ao3, I'll be able to have a lot of freedom with writing but I'll have to be careful about avoiding the Explicit rating (thankfully, it shows the rating on some fanfic so I can avoid it). With FF.net, I might be restricted a little on what I can write but I won't find any 18+ content because the MA rating is banned on there. Maybe I should do a poll on whether I should use Ao3 or FF.net.

Comment

You could also just post to all of them, or several of them. Or use Tumblr. Or your own personal blog.

Honestly if you're not writing smut, you could do them all.

Comment

You could also just post to all of them, or several of them. Or use Tumblr. Or your own personal blog.

Honestly if you're not writing smut, you could do them all.
              I'll probably just do all of them since it'll allow more people to be able to read them. Luckily, I mainly want to write 13+ stories (I might write a few kids/all ages and older teens/16+ stories, though) so I think that'll be possible.

Question: Which website would you say is the best to write with/use for writing?

Comment

None. Web-based writing is prone to many failures having to do with interrupted connections and website failures. You should keep separate documents on your personal computer/device that you upload or copy over to the fanfic sites, or use a dedicated cloud-based storage with redundant backups. Like Google Docs or Scrivener's web-based solution.

If you write to just Microsoft Word or the like, make sure you make backups occasionally, like once a week, to external drives or cloud storage. One of the worst feelings in the world is losing significant chunks of your writing to hardware/software/website failure.

Comment

None. Web-based writing is prone to many failures having to do with interrupted connections and website failures. You should keep separate documents on your personal computer/device that you upload or copy over to the fanfic sites, or use a dedicated cloud-based storage with redundant backups. Like Google Docs or Scrivener's web-based solution.

If you write to just Microsoft Word or the like, make sure you make backups occasionally, like once a week, to external drives or cloud storage. One of the worst feelings in the world is losing significant chunks of your writing to hardware/software/website failure.
                  I'll definitely take this to heart. I do have Google Docs on my Chromebook, and I'm pretty sure it's on my tablet. Will probably check soon just to make sure.

Anyways, thanks for answering all my questions and giving me helpful advice. I really appreciate it! ^w^

Comment

Working...
                  X